Taban is a blacksmith and descendant of Banta. He is also the husband of Lara and the father of Lucca. He and Lucca created the Telepod that is shown at the Millennial Fair. He appears to have scientific leanings like Lucca; his machinations accidentally cost Lara the use of her legs (this was undone by Lucca in 990 A.D.). He fashions two items for Lucca during the course of the game, the Taban Suit and the Taban Vest. These are outclassed by the PrismDress, but it is the thought that counts. The note about Taban being a blacksmith was omitted from the North American release of the game.
Taban and Lara are probably dead by 1020 A.D.:
- Lucca's room is not a bedroom anymore.
- The bed in "Lara's" room is a single bed. It was the case in CT too, but that was because of graphical limitations; they could have made a two-person bed in CC if it was still Lara's and Taban's room. The children refer to that room as "Granny Lara's old bedroom" and "Lucca's mother's old bedroom"
- In the note for the L1-Triangle-R1-Triangle password, Lucca says "My father, Taban, would be proud."
- Kid says "Lucca... All my friends...They're, they're...!!" She doesn't mention Lara or Taban.
- Kid fends for herself after the fire; if Taban and Lara were alive, they might have taken care of her (though it is possible they assumed she was dead).
Taban and Banta are anagrams of each other.