Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 141216 times)

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2008, 04:14:40 am »
It would make sense if that were the case, lol, but I still can't imagine how the verb got adopted into common usage as a noun :lol:  I guess languages are just weird and interesting like that.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2008, 04:21:55 am »
Yeah, it sounds funny.
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

In this translation site, if you try to translate ピアス into English, then it says pierce.
But if you translate it into Chinese, it means 'a earing which you need to pierce your ear to wear '( 穿孔耳环, 穿孔=pierce, 耳环=earing).

lol

Isi

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2008, 08:24:11 am »
I was thinking about how the Dimensional Vortex opens up in all your games as opposed to the one you beat him on (as is usual in recent RPGs, you save a "Clear" game save and go on to do the extra stuff, some of each gives the idea that it occurs after you have defeated the final boss). Then I came up with this:

You beat Lavos for the first time, send it to the DBT/TE, and it merges with Schala. This then causes the Dimensional vortexes to appear in every dimension (saved games :P). Now when you load a saved game, Lavos is still alive in that dimension, you haven't defeated him yet, but he was already defeated once and sent to the DBT/TE. Which means the Dimensional Vortex and Dream Devourer events would be experienced by the party before beating Lavos. The Magus you see on the TE would then be the Magus from the party that actually beat Lavos and sent it there (and that is what Magus is saying when he comments on how it might not be the future from the dimension you've come, since you still haven't beaten Lavos (but he did)).

I'm not too knowledgeable about the Compendium theories on time travel and dimensions in the Chrono Universe, so I don't know if that even made sense. Just thought it sounded interesting and wanted to see if it helped the discussion.

And there's the obvious problems like what happens if you didn't recruited Magus in your first playthrough, and why he is still using the prophet's cape (I personally think it's because it looks cool:P).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:26:38 am by Isi »

Dream Devourer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2008, 11:18:50 am »
i want to know what was the purpose of the Lost Sanctum, why was it opened when the Black Omen first appeared?

Isn't that the point at which most sidequests become available.

the only thing that was new for me is knowing that a Nu might really have eternal life (i thought the Nu's from various timelines where not the same, but this event showed that some of the nu's we encounter throughout the game can be one and the same, and this supports the all begins and ends with nu quote, nothing new i guess)

Could Nu possibly be the Entity? With all Nu being incarnations of the Planet's spirit (think Avatar) and them having some kind of hivemind? [/sarcasm]

and i really want to know what was purpose of assimilating the Crono, Marle and Lucca shades, they did power up after getting them,

My first thought is that these "shades" were actually their spirits from the Prophet timeline, with their purpose being helping their other selves. Obviously, for this to work they need to have died, which prevents Lucca from ever finding Kid...unless she died after finding Kid? but then she'd be older, wouldn't she? Sigh, timetravel is a difficult thing...but I guess it could work, because the threesome also reappears in Cross at their "normal ages".

As for when the whole Dream Devourer incident takes place, I say the best guess would be right after the fight with Lavos in 1999 and the party returned to the End of Time, BEFORE the actual normal ending takes place.

However, if the party dies in Time's Eclipse, we still see the planet being destroyed...which means their presence there actually is of some relevance. What we don't know however, is which dimension/timeline this apocalypse takes place and during which time. Perhaps the follwing is a bit out of the blue, but what if this is the planet during Cross? Maybe the real purpose of the party here is to buy Magus some time to awaken and allow Schala to temporarily regain consciousness, who will thanks to this create Kid and prevent the destruction of the world.

Or is this all a little too unlikely?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:29 am »
Could Nu possibly be the Entity? With all Nu being incarnations of the Planet's spirit (think Avatar) and them having some kind of hivemind?

Actually, an idea similar to that was used in a CT fanfic I read on IcyBrian. In the fanfic, the Nu were able to contact the Entity and relay messages, like an Oracle in Greek mythology.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2008, 01:23:51 pm »
EVERYONE READ THIS NOW. Arc_Impulse has provided a translation of the Japanese ending! The differences in nuance are astounding in certain cases.

The only issue that's resolved for certain by Arc's retranslation is the nature of Time's Eclipse. It is the Darkness Beyond Time (Shinja also noted this in another thread). Also, it definitely appears that Magus erases his own memories, and there's no evidence that Schala erases the party's memories, so we'll have to go with the "This ending is non-canonical from the party's point of view" explanation.

The theory that Eclipse Magus defeated Lavos under entirely different circumstances than in Chrono Trigger is neither supported nor made obsolete by the retranslation, so it's still valid IMO.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:34:35 pm by FaustWolf »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2008, 01:39:04 pm »
I saw that, and I'm currently waiting for Schala to come back and read my reply.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:23 pm »
Did you guys notice the difference in Magus's tone between the translations? It's like a completely different character...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2008, 01:51:32 pm »
Did you guys notice the difference in Magus's tone between the translations? It's like a completely different character...

I noticed that too. I wonder...

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2008, 01:55:33 pm »
And it's amazing how simple word choice made Magus's characterization seem so different--Magus appears to have a greater level of understanding in the translation Arc provided us.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2008, 01:57:26 pm »
And it's amazing how simple word choice made Magus's characterization seem so different--Magus appears to have a greater level of understanding in the translation Arc provided us.

Probably came with the time that passed after Lavos was defeated.

Dream Devourer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »

More likely his reunion with his sister.

Also, it it just me or does Schala just being "attached" to Lavos seem a bit weird? I figured they'd at least explain it for those with no knowledge of Cross.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »
Ah, how did the folks in Medina Village call Magus in SFC/PS version?

Now they call him 'fiendlord', which is quite interesting, because his Japanese name '魔王' means EXACTLY 'fiendlord'.

Also I checked the Japanese dialogue of a certain NPC, he says '魔王樣' (maou sama), if you translate it back, it should probably be 'Lord Magus'. And in English script, he just says 'fiendlord', interesting...

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »
People who haven't played Cross can read about it. Or they could guess. Anyway, there's probably some other new installment coming up, with these questions unanswered.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2008, 02:12:01 pm »

More likely his reunion with his sister.

Also, it it just me or does Schala just being "attached" to Lavos seem a bit weird? I figured they'd at least explain it for those with no knowledge of Cross.

In that case, it'll give them a reason to play Cross.