Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 119464 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2009, 01:09:43 pm »
The way I see it, if you're dying by the time you get Life 2, you need more help than Marle can provide...>_>

An ounce of Heal is worth a pound of Life.

idioticidioms

« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2009, 02:08:03 pm »
and sometimes you just get hit hard, in which case, heal can't solve the problem. And there are some attacks that do 999 damage to you, such as Spekkio's Master Nu form. The attacks from that are very hard hitting. During normal game play, I agree, it's better to have someone who can heal everyone at once, but there are some instances in the game where they are no good to have in your party and you need Marle instead. That and Marle & Frog together make a great healing force.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2009, 02:33:38 pm »
Spekkio's Pink Nu (idk why you're calling it Master Nu, which a different boss in CTDS) is at ** level...If you just keep healed you shouldn't die is what I'm saying ("an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is what that was a take on)...Unless your defense is just too low you shouldn't be getting hit for 999. 998, sure, I can see that because of Hallatation, but in that case you're going to need an all party heal. And two lame healers (Frog AND Marle??) in the party is overkill. The best defense is a good offense (lookit that! i'm using idioms talking to idioticidioms!)! One person who can heal everyone (Robo since Heal Beam is best) with ONE Tech is more than good enough.

idioticidioms

« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2009, 02:35:12 pm »
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'm right, lol

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:10 pm »
Speaking of puns related to Idiom's name, back in Second Grade (I think) I made a book on idioms for a class project (we were studying idioms at the time), that I titled "Idiotic Idioms"

For that reason, Idiom, I was surprised when I saw your SN.

idioticidioms

« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »
I would say that I'm surprised, but I'm so used to coincidences like that, that they no longer surprise me. Far too many coincidences in life to just be coincidences, in my opinion.

Question: If Magus wasn't really all that cool, would we have a 20 page thread about him?

Seriously, answers itself.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2009, 02:53:41 pm »
Yes, it does.

Question is, why don't we have 20-page threads on everyone else that is just as awesome as Magus?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »
Because Magus is more fun to discuss?
I haven't seen any signatures with "Resident Screaming someone-else Fan" tags. To be fair, All of the CT characters are cool (not enough CC experience, not touching on that), but their coolness is pretty much undisputed. The reason Magus has a twenty page thread is because of the Frog sympathizers who hate him, and people like Teaflower and me who get defensive and pretty much worship him.
On that topic, I wish I had that statue from the cathedral...

idioticidioms

« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2009, 03:05:42 pm »
Because, Magus is so controversial that he must be discussed, even by those who dislike him. It's much like how Howard Stern is on the radio. Even if you dislike him, you find yourself tuning in just to find out what he does and says next. Though please, I am only comparing that one part between the two. In no other way am I saying that Magus is anywhere near being the same as Howard Stern. You can either love him or hate him, but you still have to talk about him.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2009, 03:13:37 pm »
He has a thread because he's the most popular Chrono character...and if you'll notice, the people that like him in this thread far outweigh those that are saying, "No, he isn't".

idioticidioms

« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »
Or we could revert to children and go: Magus is cool because I said so, nya nya na na na.

of course then the people on the other end would be like: nuh-uh

and then we would be all like: uh-huh

and they'd go: nuh-uh

you see where this is going...

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
The people that like him in this thread far outweigh those that are saying, "No, he isn't".

We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!

idioticidioms

« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:10 pm »
wanna bet? I know people. *shifty eyes*

lol

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2009, 03:32:19 pm »
Maybe the people that don't like him are avoiding the thread because they're afraid of getting flamed.
We tend to have debates on this same subject in class. The haters far outnumber us so far. Of course, most of them haven't played the game all the way through yet. It's really fun to watch their reaction when they find out they just tried to kill the guy who was trying to save the world.

By the way, Idiom, what picture is your avatar from?

idioticidioms

« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2009, 03:56:21 pm »
some picture I found while browsing the web. Fan-made of course. I found it on an old, dead message board. I'd have to search again to find out exactly where.