Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 119454 times)

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2009, 01:15:12 am »
Hmm, might be a stupid question, but does Magus really has a name in 600 A.D.?
Yeah, you know in CT DS, those villagers in Medina call him fiendlord, which is supposed to be his title. But in JPN version, everyone calls him 'fiendlord', which means they don't use or don't know his name at all, unlike in ENG versin, he has a name as Magus plus his title.
His JPN "name" 魔王 doesn't sound like a name at all, I mean, something like "his majesty", "the boss", etc...
So maybe that's why in ENG version, they give him a serious name?

I wouldn't call Magus a serious name, in fact the word Magus in real life was more of a title or description then an actual name. By dictionary.com's reference it could refer to the three Magi as a group, or a sorcerer/occultist, or a Zoroastrian priest. I feel the sorcerer is the most fitting for our Magus. It seems to me in the Woolsey translation they translated his original title to Magus (which I think is still a fitting title for him) but then used the title like they would a normal name.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2009, 01:21:47 am »
Thank you Zergplex. That makes sense to me now.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:17 am »
Or sort of "I'f i'm going down, I'm taking you with me"

Suddenly a comparison comes to me between Magus and Andross from StarFox 64.

Quote from: "Real" Andross when you defeat his second form (the brain thing)
If I go down, I'm taking you with me!

Alfinho, what you said seriously flashed me back to when I saw that.

[/offtopic]

I thought this line by Magus was kind of funny.

Quote from: Magus when you meet the Reptites of the Middle Ages Lost Sanctum after helping them out in Prehistory
The Fiendlord, a hero.
What a droll thought.

Sorry, guys, but it's true. I laughed at that.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »
Quote from: that dude sandwiching this post
Quote from: Magus when you meet the Reptites of the Middle Ages Lost Sanctum after helping them out in Prehistory
The Fiendlord, a hero.
What a droll thought.

Sorry, guys, but it's true. I laughed at that.

Magus really does have some of the best lines of all time.

Fixed your quote tag.
         ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:07:54 am by V_Translanka »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2009, 02:53:49 pm »
Yes he does.

Quote from: Magus, to Queen Zeal, on the Black Omen
Zeal...
A pitiful woman.
Duped by Lavos!

I know the words were right, but IDK if the punctuation was. Either way, that was my favorite of his lines seeing as he's insulting his own mother.

TerraZack

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »
his normal attack is weak but his critical good
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:21:17 pm by TerraZack »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2009, 08:38:58 pm »
Especially true with his new weapon...but I always thought he was ok...better than Marle is always good enough in my book...! :lol:

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2009, 02:49:47 am »
I just got his new weapon today, too. I think I like the purple scythe better. It matches his cape :lol:
Seriously, what's cooler than color-coordinating your clothes with your weapons?

Alcyone

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2009, 07:19:38 am »
I think Magus is *okay*, but really sometimes I can't stand characters that are super serious and mysterious like he is. u__u I prefer comic relief characters such as Ayla. :D

Also, Magus has no dual techs. D:

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:01 pm »
Magus' reaction to the Rainbow Shell letter was way funnier than Ayla's. ;)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:40 pm »
Got that right, Trans.

Quote from: CTDS Script
Magus: Not exactly my color.

You think he'd be talkin' some ancient Zealian stuff he learned while he was either Janus the Zealian Prince, Magus the Fiendlord, or Magus the Prophet, like when you visit the Sun Shrine.

idioticidioms

« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2009, 12:34:06 pm »
Magus is the way he is supposed to be. You either like it or you don't, but he doesn't beg to be liked.

As for being better than Marle... in what aspect? You can't just say that one character is better than another overall, because they're all parts that make up a whole. Obviously, he's going to be better than her at physical attacks and offensive Magic because that's not really her strong suit. She's more of a healer than anything else.And she is the best healer you get, though Frog and Robo are also healers, they don't rise to the same heights as Marle does.

Personally, Magus (I like to name him Janus when I get him) is my favorite char, but I can't say that he is any better than any other character because each have their strengths and weaknesses. As for the term Magus as a name, I'm sure that he either A. took the name as a child when he was thrown into 600 A.D. so as not to appear silly to the mystics, or was B. given the name by the Mystics as a symbol for his great skills at Sorcery.

Being called Fiendlord in the japanese version doesn't detract from this, because it is a title given to him by his foes, and possibly even by his allies the mystics which are known as Demons in the japanese version. These Mystics/Demons are proud of their heritage and enjoy being a scourge to humans so being called a 'fiendlord' would be great honor indeed to anyone who chooses to lead them in battle. Basically meaning that they are the best of the worst without trying to be the best of the best.

Magus is a being who suffered a traumatic childhood and began down the road of darkness very early on. To expect him to be chipper and upbeat or even to provide comic relief is like expecting the sky to all of a sudden be a color that it's never been before. The fact that he changes sides and joins Crono's team, if you let him, shows that he is ready to change, accepting the fact that he can not change the past, having failed to deliver Schala safely from harm when he shows up in the Dark Ages as the Prophet. Much like the story of Piccolo or Vegita from DB/DBZ, he probably still has his dark side and is prone to brooding and keeping silently to himself.

As I said, you either like him for it or you don't, but he doesn't care either way.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2009, 12:41:29 pm »
I like to name him Janus when I get him.

So do I. That should have been his default name, since you find out he is Janus while at North Cape.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:32 pm »
As for being better than Marle... in what aspect? You can't just say that one character is better than another overall, because they're all parts that make up a whole. Obviously, he's going to be better than her at physical attacks and offensive Magic because that's not really her strong suit. She's more of a healer than anything else.And she is the best healer you get, though Frog and Robo are also healers, they don't rise to the same heights as Marle does.

While I mostly agree with you...most of the arguments in this thread are fairly tongue-in-cheek...Marle being the best healer is bunk. Frog has Cure 2 also and it's only moderately less effective than Marle's (but by the time you get either, it's going to heal 999)...Frog also has Heal and Robo has Heal Beam, both of which heal the entire party, while Marle is stuck with Single Techs that only heal one person. So I think both of them are better healers than Marle and add to the fact that they aren't strictly healers and Marle's only claim to fame is Haste.

idioticidioms

« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:13 pm »
yeah but Marle Gets Life 2 and is the only person who does. And that tech is very helpful.