Author Topic: On Theism  (Read 13313 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: On Theism
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 10:40:17 pm »
i think it says in the bible that you cant "prove" God exists 100%.
if you dont want to believe in him you're not going to think hes real.
he could come down and kick you in the nuts and you'd still say hes a fake.
anyway, you also cant prove 100% he doesnt exist.
both require faith.

this argument reminds me of gaia vs 4chan.

Actually, not true. Were God inclined to kick me in the nuts, to use your phrase, to prove His existence, I would believe he exists. I simply require proof of something that unlikely. Of course, any God that does exist would not be an interpretation seen in any Earth religion, simply because all Earth religions focus on our planet alone, and in case you haven't noticed, it's not exactly the only planet in the universe.

But that's beside the point. If God actually exists, and It(for a life form at the level of such a God, gender would probably be irrelevant, something most people on this planet seem unable to comprehend) were to prove Itself existing to me, I would not have a problem accepting Its existence, much like I would not have a problem accepting the existence of anything else, provided it is proven to me.

I just find it extremely unlikely and as there has not been a single shred of proof towards that end anywhere we have ever found...though admittedly we've only searched our planet and whatever stars we can observe from our position in the universe...and until that proof surfaces I will argue against the existence of It, much like I argue against the existence of magick or spirituality.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2007, 06:40:50 am »

Actually, if I remember correctly, Dostoevsky meant that humans would be capable of all sorts of vice and evil
 without a goodly God providing a guiding principle.  Bear in mind it's been some time since I studied Russian Lit very closely,
but I believe that's what old Fyodor had in mind.  I just cited it because I've had it tossed at me by atheists in the past, so I
presumed there's some schools of thought out there that adopted the line of thinking as their own, just in a different light.
Oh, I see. I don't see why athiests would adopt it, though, since such a statement is rather moronic if that was how he meant it.
 If the only thing people have stopping them from, say, going on a serial killing spree is some Sky Fairy, then they have problems,
is the way I see it. (But then I've argued about this very subject so many times on NationStates--much more civilly, I should say--that
I'm just plain tired of the argument, hence my flippant comments about stupidity.)

Sky Fairy? okay dude you're really pissing me off. just because you don't believe something that doesn't mean you should disrespect it.
the only people who would agree with you are people who believe like you anyway, and they aren't going to say anything cause they'll
think you look retarded for bring up such facts as "Your beliefe that Jesus is God is impossiable, and your God is a sky fairy" in a thread about some 8 bit gopher
popping out of the ground and destroying the world. now me bring a 19 year
old in collage and not some 7th grade kid who is so insecure about his beliefes that he has to attack other peoples for no reason on a
topic where its barely relivent, and later even off topic, i just dont see why you people take the time to attack God in EVERY post.
anyway i am really sick of people not believing in god just randomly attacking him and people who believe in him

"hey, i beat super mario!!!
oh, by the way got sucks and so do christianz, and they dont exist lolz!"

i am trying to enjoy this message board and people like you are making it very hard to do so.

grow up. theres a time and a place for talking about god, and here in this topic isn't one of them.
if i wanted to read about how Christians are retarded because some little 12 year old says so i would have looked
for a topic called "OMG JESUS ISNT REAL CAUSE I SAY SO AND I AM ALL KNOWING AND POWERFUL!!!"

yea, i know. I'm probably going to get in trouble by mods for this post, and they wont do anything about his. funny how that works huh? -.-|||

I don't have to pretend that your fantasy playmate exists to make you happy.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 03:56:03 am »
But that's beside the point. If God actually exists, and It(for a life form at the level of such a God, gender would probably be irrelevant, something most people on this planet seem unable to comprehend).

Nb. that in at least the Judeo-Christian monotheistic tradition, that has pretty much always been understood, and is in fact metaphorical. It is applied in the same way that, say, the Old Testament covenants are classified as Royal Grant and Suzeran-Vassal treaties, because of their similarities to established social contracts that people understood. The whole point is that not only most, but none, on the planet can technically comprehend the genderlessness, as it surpasses mere asexuality. As such, some form of metaphor is needed to allow us to understand the manner in which God is operating, and the manner in which God was operating in the Judeo-Christian framework was nearest a father. As such, the references are masculine, and a feminine or neuter is meaningless because it loses the effect of the appropriate metaphor. Remember, in the realm of a monotheistic god we are no longer dealing with such simplistic things as 'scientific facts'.

Those are well and good for the constraints of the universe, the kosmos (Latin and Greek; former, 'single-direction' latter 'order'... both implying the way in which what we know is constructed, basically a certain construct), but they mean nothing when attempting to understand extra-universal things. This might seem absurd to science, and for good reason: it's about as ridiculous as trying to apply the rules and study of biology to physics. One just can't be applied to the other, and to say 'B doesn't make sense because it doesn't follow the rules of A which I understand' only shows ignorance to the possibility that there CAN be things that A simply cannot explain and which exist outside of its sphere of explanation. In fact, while biology follows the rules of physics, physics exists outside of the rules of biology, though someone that would only be aware of biology (for argument, make the assumption that this were possible) could naturally not comprehend physics and would assume that anything that happens due to the influence of physics is in fact a biological phenomenon, which would be in error. In the larger scheme that I am talking about, 'A' is science. It is a handy tool, and can be used to explain the structure and working of the universe, and can probably tell us a million-fold more things that we have to this point in time discovered, but it has its limits, and those limits are the boundaries of the universe. So the irony of your statement about that relgions primarially deal with this planet is that, in fact, they DO attempt to deal with the whole universe, whatever is understood by it. In the Judeo-Christian tradition it is not merely the 'Earth', but 'Creation', which means the entirety to the ends of the universe. And, more than this, deal with not just the universe, but the little glimpses of what we get from beyond it. Science, on the other hand, deals only with this one universe. Ironically, it is not the scope of religion which is limited to one sphere, but science. Shall I not say 'but science only limits itself to this one universe, when it stands to reason there might be more?' There is conjecture on other universes, true, but the realm of that is so hazy is that it is extrapolating only what we now of ours onto what might be in others, which is flawed at very best. And I'm not talking about other universes, but what exists apart from them, too.

What we get with this is that things like the Bible, indeed even literature as a whole, deals with things that can conjure up truth APART from fact. This is a fascinating point that is often overlooked, that truth can be exclusive to fact. I believe it is Aristotle who called Poetry more scientific than History, because History only tells specific facts, whereas Poetry addresses general truths. Well, what we call science does not seem to be 'scientific' as Aristotle understood it, because it only addresses specific facts, and cannot tell us things about general truths. No matter how grand our knowledge is through science, it still only amounts to a massive compilation of specific facts, that might eventually become a big specific fact, but still not be a general truth, because the rules we perceive in the universe might be effects rather than causes. As such, if you are seeking truth, do not look to the scientists, look to the poets. And they speak in metaphors and similes and can tell the greatest truths in lies (ie. Hamlet was not as Shakespeare wrote him to be, yet does not the truth of human nature he conveys outmatch anything that the real one could give to us if we were to read an exact chronicle of his life?) I don't think you quite understand this, or are not approaching it properly. You say 'a life form such as God', yet that itself is beginning awry. If you are speaking about a Monotheistic god, the term 'life' cannot be properly applied unless it is wholly symbolic - in that case, you would have had to be speaking poetically, but you were attempting to address the matter 'scientifically'. You can't. See, even the concept of a 'life form' is something that is internal to the laws of this universe. If we are speaking of a deity that is outside of the realms of this universe, you simply cannot approach the concept in scientific terms using something like 'a form of life'. Science could tell us the effects within the universe, but in addressing the nature of such a deity is rather useless, as are such labels. My apologies if I seem to be attacking semantics, but I'm not. It is rather the approach. I am seeing that you are speaking of this in matters of 'proof' and language such as this shows an approach to it that is about as useful as saying 'show me the heart of this thing called 'physics', and then I'll believe in it.' Oh, sure, you can say things to the one who only knows Biology: 'gravity is the blood of the universe'. Metaphors, eh? But to use the standard of Biology to understand Physics? Impossible, and flawed. Asking for scientific answers and proof to God falls in the same category. You're looking in the wrong province, and where you're looking you'll never ever find it. It might seem enlightened to approach things through logic and causality and science, but in fact it is no more enlightened than the arts and poets are, and what it comes down to is that you must solve the truths of things with the appropriate tools. And science is not the tool with which one can ever solve religion.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:03:13 am by Daniel Krispin »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 04:35:14 am »
So, basically, you're saying that science could not describe what a deity is? I disagree completely, and I am honestly shocked that someone with your intellect could say that.

Science is not some realm that is somehow separate from reality. It is our observations of reality, of what exists. It is how we explain the real reasons behind this phenomenon or that phenomenon. As such, I see no reason for why we could not do the same with a deity. Just because you feel that it must be "beyond the realm of science" does not make it so.

Furthermore, science does not limit itself to this universe, as one can find out if they study some scientific research. It is, as I said, our way of examining and explaining all of reality, whatever said reality is, and that would include absolutely anything that can exist, including the space outside of our universe.

Basically, Dan, you're trying to use semantics and language to define science in a way that follows with your argument, and it just doesn't jive with what scientists have actually done, nor is your analogy about applying biology to physics apt, because that is something wholly different. They are different ways of looking at specific of reality, not science and "something else."

Finally, despite your long and well-written little essay, you still haven't said a single thing that could prove the existence of God or any deity. Admittedly that was probably not what you were after, but I am still letting it be said.

(Lord J, a little back-up, please. I fear his mastery of English and other languages over my amateur understanding may eventually overwhelm me.)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2007, 06:54:47 am »
So, basically, you're saying that science could not describe what a deity is? I disagree completely, and I am honestly shocked that someone with your intellect could say that.

That is EXACTLY my problem with your argument, though. You're starting off on totally the wrong foot. Just because I question that one branch of human knowledge can give an understanding of something, you question my intellect? Why shouldn't someone of my intellect have that opinion? Indeed, there have been people of far, far greater intellect who have thought the same. Few, indeed, save in this most modern of our eras have actually thought as you do, that science can describe such a thing, and if we think we are more enlightened now just because we KNOW more we are making a gravely naive and proud mistake.

Just please, don't resort to that tired cliche, eh? It's better not to say 'I'm surprised that someone of your intelligence...' Indeed, it is not allowing for the idea that science cannot solve everything that is unelightened, but a belief that science can explain everything without doubt (nb. without doubt... objectively, aside from my beliefs, maybe it can. But do you know that for certain? No. So the comment that someone who doesn't believe science to be the end all and be all is flawed is itself rather ignorant) is rather narrow, because it allows for nothing else but that which you know.

Science is not some realm that is somehow separate from reality. It is our observations of reality, of what exists. It is how we explain the real reasons behind this phenomenon or that phenomenon. As such, I see no reason for why we could not do the same with a deity. Just because you feel that it must be "beyond the realm of science" does not make it so.

Exactly, though. The basic supposition of a monotheistic deity is that the deity must exist not as part of creation, but behind it: not a cause of reality, but the cause of it. As such, our observations cannot neccessarially serve to explain. Science is indeed the study of the reality we can see and feel and touch by the sense, and that is precisely what limits it in this regard. Note that my argument in this case is based on the 'if' scenario in which God exists (I firmly believe that, but that's not the issue here.) Were God to exist, then the study of God, and more specifically the Judeo-Christian one, then based on His nature your approach would by neccessity not allow you to observe Him. Like turning to the left, saying 'I don't see something here, so it doesn't exist' while it's sitting on your right. If God exists, He does beyond the realm of science, so to wish for proof on scientific grounds is neccessarially amiss.

Furthermore, science does not limit itself to this universe, as one can find out if they study some scientific research. It is, as I said, our way of examining and explaining all of reality, whatever said reality is, and that would include absolutely anything that can exist, including the space outside of our universe.

Huh? You're totally off. Science is a study by observation, by hypothesis and either proof or rejection. It is based on the knowledge we can gather based on our own universe. From that all we can conjecture about other universes is based on the assumption that they are dimensionally similar to our own (ie. contain dimensions in a similar manner... the number is not neccessarially certain); we cannot quite understand it, however. And as for that which exists APART from the universe, if that can even be, that is absolutely impossible for science to explain, by its very definition. You say science is a way of explaining all reality, but that is a comment that is wrong and shows a misundersanding - and overestimation - of its purpose. Why, can you explain literature by science? If so, why do we not call it a science? Yet it is reality, and it is truth. What you think of when you are talking science is not a study of truth, but of facts. In the end, you still have to come down to what it all means, and all your facts aren't going to help you in that regard. And even if it all means nothing, that, too, will not be a thing arrived at by your mind working in scientific capacity, but poetic.

Basically, Dan, you're trying to use semantics and language to define science in a way that follows with your argument, and it just doesn't jive with what scientists have actually done, nor is your analogy about applying biology to physics apt, because that is something wholly different. They are different ways of looking at specific of reality, not science and "something else."

Absolutely not! In fact, I said 'I am not arguing semantics.' What concerned me in what you were saying wasn't the words you were using, but the very fact that you were considering science and investigation by obvservation to be the only means of arriving at truth. The fact that literature can show us truths apart from this, by making up a story that never happend, that is for all purposes a lie and in the eyes of science utterly reprehensible, shows that there are provinces in which science is blind. For science to be truly made use of in proper capacity, and not be misused, its limitations must be understood, otherwise it becomes no better than a religion that is believed in fanatically to the exclusion of reality. After all, who's to say that the reality we percieve, all that that we see and touch and can analyse by science, is the only reality? What if there were something that were to lie beyond the ability of our instruments to measure? We would not know, and science would be blind. You are starting with the assumption that science CAN tell us everything. But what qualifies us to make that assumption? Just because it is all we have seen? Can you call the world flat just because you've never circumnavigated it? So I'm questioning your reliance on science as the standard. I mean, don't you think it's arrogant of humanity to say 'if we can see it, touch it, understand it, then it's real; if we can't, it doesn't exist.' Why does that neccessarially follow? What makes that true? Reasonably, that assumption can't be made, and that is the very one you are making when you hold science as the only way of arriving at truth.

Again, though, you're missing the point. You're saying the two sciences are two ways of looking at reality, whereas what I'm talking about is 'reality and something else'. No. What I'm also talking about is two aspects of reality, whether you like that or not. Indeed, what I am talking about is 'true' reality, much like you'd see in Plato's concept of Ideals. What is truth is no possessed inherent in a thing, but what is important stands behind it in an eternal ideal. This is a valid point for me to bring up, make no mistake. There is nothing less real in talking about something philisophical and theological than there is in something scientific. That biology/physics analogy was carefully picked, because the view I'm maintaining is indeed one which has that which we cannot percieve be another part of reality. You only call it 'something else' on the grounds that YOU cannot perceive it. But what makes you, a mere creature, if you wish a mere monkey, have the right to make that sort of statement? 'Something else' is only professing your ignorance of what it is, but doesn't prove it's NOT part of reality. Look over the analogy again. It's certainly not the best, but the best I could come up with at the moment. The thing is, again you've gone into it making the baseline assumption that science is superiour and the only way. You've closed your mind to anything else, to the possibility of anything else. Basically, I'm thinking you're thinking biasedly, and as such are not giving these possibilities a fair treatment.

Finally, despite your long and well-written little essay, you still haven't said a single thing that could prove the existence of God or any deity. Admittedly that was probably not what you were after, but I am still letting it be said.

Then what's the point in saying it? Of course I wasn't arguing proof. That's a tough thing that would take the work of eternity to complete. No, that I'm not up for. Instead, I was maintaining that you have to be open to the possibility, and this includes not blinding yourself in saying 'if I don't see a god here where I want him, he doesn't exist.' I'm questioning your approach, and questioning what you believe. You're saying 'how does one know, how can one prove that God exists?' Fine, let that doubt be thrown out. But let us also stand this doubt, that science may not be able to explain everything. For if the concept of God exists, then even if that is not proof for God, then that opens the possibility, and it neccessitates the need for us to keep open the possibility. And that possibility means that we cannot say unequivocally that science can tell us these things, and indeed maintains a sobre judgement on the limitations of science. You say 'prove God to me'? Well, prove to me that science can tell us everything. It's just as impossible. How's that?

(Lord J, a little back-up, please. I fear his mastery of English and other languages over my amateur understanding may eventually overwhelm me.)

If so, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to combat you by style. This really is my natural voice, be certain of that. I'm trying to bring my ideas across, and if my style is a block to that, that's unfortunate. You don't need Lord J, here. This isn't a battle, though I've said 'combat.' I'm not trying to beat you, I'm merely questioning you and saying that you are wrong in your basic assumptions, and that you should open your mind to other possibilities. Whether or not you choose to do so is wholly up to you, and Lord J entering into this is hardly relevant. Of course, language wise, he can defeat me, but again, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand. All I've written is not meant to get you to believe what I do, but merely open your mind to more possibilities than science alone presents. This is certainly not a rejection of science in the least, but an understanding of the place science has in the scheme of things. And even if you don't take this view, reject it not because it is contrary, but consider it and convince yourself of its fallicy, alright? If you wish to try and do that here, be my guest, but you don't have to. Not replying to me will definitely not be taken as a sign that you 'admit defeat' or anything like that, so don't worry. Indeed, I've not said very much for all my words. Again, all I've maintained is the need to question, and in this case question science's supremacy in your mind.

Whew, it's been a long time since I discussed something like this. It's a good feeling to know I'm not too rusty.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2007, 07:27:20 am »

That is EXACTLY my problem with your argument, though. You're starting off on totally the wrong foot. Just because I question that one branch of human knowledge can give an understanding of something, you question my intellect? Why shouldn't someone of my intellect have that opinion? Indeed, there have been people of far, far greater intellect who have thought the same. Few, indeed, save in this most modern of our eras have actually thought as you do, that science can describe such a thing, and if we think we are more enlightened now just because we KNOW more we are making a gravely naive and proud mistake.
Yes, you're right. I apologize...I shouldn't have questioned your intellect. That was rather idiotic of me.

What's not idiotic of me, though, is my stance that science can explain everything.

Indeed, it is not allowing for the idea that science cannot solve everything that is unelightened, but a belief that science can explain everything without doubt (nb. without doubt... objectively, aside from my beliefs, maybe it can. But do you know that for certain? No. So the comment that someone who doesn't believe science to be the end all and be all is flawed is itself rather ignorant) is rather narrow, because it allows for nothing else but that which you know.
Not true. See, you're missing the point. It's just observations of reality and explaining the true nature behind something. Can science explain absolutely everything we have ever witnessed right now? No, but it will eventually. So far, throughout its entire history, that has always been true. Science has never run into anything it cannot EVER explain, merely phenomena it could not explain at the time but could explain later.

Exactly, though. The basic supposition of a monotheistic deity is that the deity must exist not as part of creation, but behind it: not a cause of reality, but the cause of it. As such, our observations cannot neccessarially serve to explain. Science is indeed the study of the reality we can see and feel and touch by the sense, and that is precisely what limits it in this regard. Note that my argument in this case is based on the 'if' scenario in which God exists (I firmly believe that, but that's not the issue here.) Were God to exist, then the study of God, and more specifically the Judeo-Christian one, then based on His nature your approach would by neccessity not allow you to observe Him. Like turning to the left, saying 'I don't see something here, so it doesn't exist' while it's sitting on your right. If God exists, He does beyond the realm of science, so to wish for proof on scientific grounds is neccessarially amiss.
No, no, no. You cannot exist without also being a part of reality. That is pure semantic nonsense. If He were to exist, He is observable and thus defineable. To say that mankind is incapable of eventually understanding something like that is, in my eyes, insulting. Obviously, we have limits, but we can surpass those through new technologies. Computers are edging closer and closer to matching both human brain capacity and capability, and I don't see why they could not eventually surpass our brains. I similarly do not see why we could not then place our consciousness inside these computers and utilize their greater potential, thus allowing us to understand more. You're not thinking far enough ahead, Dan.

Huh? You're totally off. Science is a study by observation, by hypothesis and either proof or rejection. It is based on the knowledge we can gather based on our own universe. From that all we can conjecture about other universes is based on the assumption that they are dimensionally similar to our own (ie. contain dimensions in a similar manner... the number is not neccessarially certain); we cannot quite understand it, however. And as for that which exists APART from the universe, if that can even be, that is absolutely impossible for science to explain, by its very definition. You say science is a way of explaining all reality, but that is a comment that is wrong and shows a misundersanding - and overestimation - of its purpose. Why, can you explain literature by science? If so, why do we not call it a science? Yet it is reality, and it is truth. What you think of when you are talking science is not a study of truth, but of facts. In the end, you still have to come down to what it all means, and all your facts aren't going to help you in that regard. And even if it all means nothing, that, too, will not be a thing arrived at by your mind working in scientific capacity, but poetic.

You're using improper analogies again, Dan. Literature has nothing to do with what is the basis of reality. Literature is simply a collection of stories created by human imagination, and easily understandable as such. It's still an observable phenomenon, one easily explained with a scientific basis. It did not just appear out of thin air from a deity: it was created by human hands, with human understanding, human intellect, and human imagination. It doesn't have to be a branch of science to be understandable by science.

Absolutely not! In fact, I said 'I am not arguing semantics.' What concerned me in what you were saying wasn't the words you were using, but the very fact that you were considering science and investigation by obvservation to be the only means of arriving at truth. The fact that literature can show us truths apart from this, by making up a story that never happend, that is for all purposes a lie and in the eyes of science utterly reprehensible, shows that there are provinces in which science is blind. For science to be truly made use of in proper capacity, and not be misused, its limitations must be understood, otherwise it becomes no better than a religion that is believed in fanatically to the exclusion of reality. After all, who's to say that the reality we percieve, all that that we see and touch and can analyse by science, is the only reality? What if there were something that were to lie beyond the ability of our instruments to measure? We would not know, and science would be blind. You are starting with the assumption that science CAN tell us everything. But what qualifies us to make that assumption? Just because it is all we have seen? Can you call the world flat just because you've never circumnavigated it? So I'm questioning your reliance on science as the standard. I mean, don't you think it's arrogant of humanity to say 'if we can see it, touch it, understand it, then it's real; if we can't, it doesn't exist.' Why does that neccessarially follow? What makes that true? Reasonably, that assumption can't be made, and that is the very one you are making when you hold science as the only way of arriving at truth.
I never said it was the only way at arriving at truth, so don't twist my words so you can attack a strawman. I said it was precisely what it was. And you're bringing up literature again. Sure, the stories are often fictional, but that does not mean that the existence of the STORY is somehow not real.

Also, just because we cannot observe something at this time does not mean it does not exist, and I'm not saying it does not. Radio waves, for instance, were not observable for most of human history, and thus they could be perceived as not existing, but they were eventually proven to exist. Similarly, it could be that God is simply unobservable at this point but could later be observable.

Your problem here, Dan, is that you're taking many base assumptions I've seen again and again and again and then applying them in a strawman argument that you can tear down and pretend to have succeeded when you're not succeeding at all, but missing the point.
Again, though, you're missing the point. You're saying the two sciences are two ways of looking at reality, whereas what I'm talking about is 'reality and something else'. No. What I'm also talking about is two aspects of reality, whether you like that or not. Indeed, what I am talking about is 'true' reality, much like you'd see in Plato's concept of Ideals. What is truth is no possessed inherent in a thing, but what is important stands behind it in an eternal ideal. This is a valid point for me to bring up, make no mistake. There is nothing less real in talking about something philisophical and theological than there is in something scientific. That biology/physics analogy was carefully picked, because the view I'm maintaining is indeed one which has that which we cannot percieve be another part of reality. You only call it 'something else' on the grounds that YOU cannot perceive it. But what makes you, a mere creature, if you wish a mere monkey, have the right to make that sort of statement? 'Something else' is only professing your ignorance of what it is, but doesn't prove it's NOT part of reality. Look over the analogy again. It's certainly not the best, but the best I could come up with at the moment. The thing is, again you've gone into it making the baseline assumption that science is superiour and the only way. You've closed your mind to anything else, to the possibility of anything else. Basically, I'm thinking you're thinking biasedly, and as such are not giving these possibilities a fair treatment.
Okay, look, you are missing the point. If there is another subset of reality, it can be explained, quantified, and observed. It can be understood. There is nothing that cannot be eventually understood, Dan.

What I don't understand is why you keep harping on about it, why you constantly say that we must never be capable of understanding something. Why must we be so--for lack of a better word--inferior? Why must we bow before something greater? WHY?

It's foolish and naive to assume that we there are things we will never be able to understand. Human ingenuity has brought us to our current point in time and can take us to the end of the universe and beyond. What limits we have in body and mind can be overcome through technology. The only thing that will hold us back, Dan, is your belief.

Then what's the point in saying it? Of course I wasn't arguing proof. That's a tough thing that would take the work of eternity to complete. No, that I'm not up for. Instead, I was maintaining that you have to be open to the possibility, and this includes not blinding yourself in saying 'if I don't see a god here where I want him, he doesn't exist.' I'm questioning your approach, and questioning what you believe. You're saying 'how does one know, how can one prove that God exists?' Fine, let that doubt be thrown out. But let us also stand this doubt, that science may not be able to explain everything. For if the concept of God exists, then even if that is not proof for God, then that opens the possibility, and it neccessitates the need for us to keep open the possibility. And that possibility means that we cannot say unequivocally that science can tell us these things, and indeed maintains a sobre judgement on the limitations of science. You say 'prove God to me'? Well, prove to me that science can tell us everything. It's just as impossible. How's that?
It's not impossible, as I've already shown again and again. The only thing that limits us is, to be succinct, us. We can rise or fall based on what we believe. If we believe there are things we can never understand, then we will never advance to the point where we could understand them.

I once again need to point out that I am not against the possibility of God existing, and I would have no problem accepting it if it were proven to me. But for something this monumental I require some proof, some evidence, some experimentation, something to show the existence of God. Can you offer that to me?

If so, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to combat you by style. This really is my natural voice, be certain of that. I'm trying to bring my ideas across, and if my style is a block to that, that's unfortunate. You don't need Lord J, here. This isn't a battle, though I've said 'combat.' I'm not trying to beat you, I'm merely questioning you and saying that you are wrong in your basic assumptions, and that you should open your mind to other possibilities. Whether or not you choose to do so is wholly up to you, and Lord J entering into this is hardly relevant. Of course, language wise, he can defeat me, but again, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand. All I've written is not meant to get you to believe what I do, but merely open your mind to more possibilities than science alone presents. This is certainly not a rejection of science in the least, but an understanding of the place science has in the scheme of things. And even if you don't take this view, reject it not because it is contrary, but consider it and convince yourself of its fallicy, alright? If you wish to try and do that here, be my guest, but you don't have to. Not replying to me will definitely not be taken as a sign that you 'admit defeat' or anything like that, so don't worry. Indeed, I've not said very much for all my words. Again, all I've maintained is the need to question, and in this case question science's supremacy in your mind.
I guess you're right. Sorry...I'm just naturally defensive as well...always have been. It felt like you were trying to overwhelm me with your verbosity and superior command of the English language. (I will always bow that to you, Dan, because you are definitely a master.)

And I know what you're trying to say...I just don't see why it should make sense. I'm not holding science up on a pillar here, mind. I'm just saying that the only reason science even HAS limits is that people believe it does. Given what we've discovered, all of the knowledge we've obtained, the technologies we've created, the way that in just a few short 5000 years or so--barely the beginnings of an eyeblink on a cosmic scale--humanity has gone from being a simple hunter gatherer species like so many others on this planet to influencing its environment, affecting it on a global scale every day. We are, in short, amazing. We're wonderous.

I can see why some believe we must have been given Divine Providence or what have you, that it must be due to a God that we've been able to accomplish what we have. It's hard to comprehend, the sheer scale of it.

But doesn't the possibility that we're alone in our success, that we came about not through God but simply the random chance of the universe excite you just a bit? You say I should be open to possibilities, Dan, so I should say the same to you. Consider it, and tell me what you think.

Whew, it's been a long time since I discussed something like this. It's a good feeling to know I'm not too rusty.
You really want to practice your skills? Go to NationStates General. You'll be doing stuff like this every bloody day on a wide variety of topics.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2007, 02:08:35 pm »
Dan, the sort of god you are postulating, one that is beyond the realm of science, would have to be a diest god. That is, a creator god that does not intervene in the universe. If there is such a god, then yes, it is beyond the realm of science, because it is beyond reality. That said, in practical terms, living under a diest god is no different then living under no gods, so really, what's the point of such a belief?

If, however, you suggest a theistic god, a god that intervenes, then by affecting reality, that god makes itself a subject to science. It does things that are observable and can be studied and understood. This paradigm is problematic, for the obvious reason that things that might appear to be the act of a divinity have always turned out to be natural phenomena we have not yet understood. It's "god of the gaps" theology, and it's essentially the worship of ignorance. This doesn't preclude the possibility of a theistic god existing, or doing something that is openly and clearly an act of divine intervention.

In summary, any god whose existance matters in a practical sense is within the scope of science.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2007, 04:19:35 pm »
Dan, the sort of god you are postulating, one that is beyond the realm of science, would have to be a diest god. That is, a creator god that does not intervene in the universe. If there is such a god, then yes, it is beyond the realm of science, because it is beyond reality. That said, in practical terms, living under a diest god is no different then living under no gods, so really, what's the point of such a belief?

If, however, you suggest a theistic god, a god that intervenes, then by affecting reality, that god makes itself a subject to science. It does things that are observable and can be studied and understood. This paradigm is problematic, for the obvious reason that things that might appear to be the act of a divinity have always turned out to be natural phenomena we have not yet understood. It's "god of the gaps" theology, and it's essentially the worship of ignorance. This doesn't preclude the possibility of a theistic god existing, or doing something that is openly and clearly an act of divine intervention.

In summary, any god whose existance matters in a practical sense is within the scope of science.

Not quite. I do indeed consider a God who intervenes, and the intervention appears mostly as what we know as science - science itself being the act of God, the rules of Creation. However, that is not who God is, but only what He has done. As such, there is only so much that can be said via science. I have not said that science cannot tell us anything, but only that there is a limit to what can be said, the limitation being what the creator has put into His creation. When you look at a painter's painting, you can't say that there is nothing about the artist that you can tell, or a writer in literature. Of course you can! There is style evident, there is forms of expression... things are evident, and it is that sort of thing that science can indeed tell us. However, because we are PART of the writing, or part of the story, we being constructed to understand what is real as only that which is in the art itself makes this work, which is the work of another extra to it, to be natural in itself. Even as the artist continues to work on it, it seems to be only the natural progression of the art, so long as it stays internally consistent, and that there even is an artist is visible only to an exterior eye, which is something we lack. And the true nature of the artist, the internal spirit and heart and all, cannot be exactly known from the artwork, but only guessed at. Science will tell you what is there in the artwork; poetry and literature will guess at why and how it's coming together, and what lies beyond it.

This is why I don't look for miracles as proof of God. Miracles are a useless thing, because usually they are natural. This doesn't mean that they AREN'T an act of God, but merely God acting within the confines of His laws. You've said rightly that it wouldn't appear any different than something natural, but the thing is, 'natural' is God himself. God is not nature, mind you, but Nature the arm of God. Anyway, this is precisely what I was trying to say: because you cannot thus understand God as He acts by His own rules of nature and science, science is impotent to understand. That is then the limitation of science. However, it is also ignorance to say 'because science cannot understand it, and to believe in the possibility of anything else is irrational and backward.' Quite the opposite, because an open mind must accept the possibility that our understanding just doesn't go far enough. And furthermore, there is a measure of proof to the limitation of science in that literature and that sort of study stands outside of the realms of science, but still present us with truth. From that alone it is evident that science is not all things, and to limit oneself to that study of natural science (because, truthfully, it's only natural science, not science as a whole you're talking about, for true Science as the ancients would have understood it includes philosophy and theology) is to limit one's ability to examine the world. This does not advocate beliving here and there in all sorts of supernatural things, but instead is in the realm of the philisophical. I'll probably have to go on way longer to fully expand this, and likely as not I'll not have the energy, but merely take what you will from this.

One more thing I will say is that no, I'm not talking about a Deist God. After all, if God is extra-temporal, which we believe, then even if He set up an event to trigger now when he created the universe, it is still and act of God. To say 'God set up the universe then let it be' as the Deist belief is is not accounting for the belief in an extra temporal God, for whom the very comment 'set up and THEN let it be' is meaningless, because it implies being bound under time's constraints. If God wishes to change something now, he need only change something at the start of the universe, eh? Anyway, to say that a god whose existence matters falls within the scope of science is to have things the wrong way about. You're constraining a creator to the created, which is something that might have been pertient to the ancient beliefs in the Olympian gods, but is irrelevant to a monotheist.

And Kyronea, I'll reply to you later, but it's a bit too lengthy at the moment. I might forget, though, but sufficed to say it's a good point to bring up. I just wish you'd question your own stance a bit more, and be open to more than one way of looking at the universe.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2007, 04:29:32 pm »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2007, 08:03:12 pm »
Not quite. I do indeed consider a God who intervenes, and the intervention appears mostly as what we know as science - science itself being the act of God, the rules of Creation. However, that is not who God is, but only what He has done. As such, there is only so much that can be said via science. I have not said that science cannot tell us anything, but only that there is a limit to what can be said, the limitation being what the creator has put into His creation. When you look at a painter's painting, you can't say that there is nothing about the artist that you can tell, or a writer in literature. Of course you can! There is style evident, there is forms of expression... things are evident, and it is that sort of thing that science can indeed tell us. However, because we are PART of the writing, or part of the story, we being constructed to understand what is real as only that which is in the art itself makes this work, which is the work of another extra to it, to be natural in itself. Even as the artist continues to work on it, it seems to be only the natural progression of the art, so long as it stays internally consistent, and that there even is an artist is visible only to an exterior eye, which is something we lack. And the true nature of the artist, the internal spirit and heart and all, cannot be exactly known from the artwork, but only guessed at. Science will tell you what is there in the artwork; poetry and literature will guess at why and how it's coming together, and what lies beyond it.

Then the god you speak of is as Einstein's god, one of the poet's truths you speak about. That is, a metaphor, and not an actual entity. The god you describe is simply shorthand for the workings of the universe. At this point, I must clarify the sorts of gods of which we can speak. This god is not a supernatural god, in the sense that it does not violate nature or nature's laws. I assert that this natural god, being as it is a metaphor, doesn't result in a universe that is noticably different from one with no god at all. Even if you assert that this god is an entity and not strictly a metaphor, it is impossible to infer such a being from here on the inside of the story.

This is why I don't look for miracles as proof of God. Miracles are a useless thing, because usually they are natural. This doesn't mean that they AREN'T an act of God, but merely God acting within the confines of His laws. You've said rightly that it wouldn't appear any different than something natural, but the thing is, 'natural' is God himself. God is not nature, mind you, but Nature the arm of God. Anyway, this is precisely what I was trying to say: because you cannot thus understand God as He acts by His own rules of nature and science, science is impotent to understand. That is then the limitation of science. However, it is also ignorance to say 'because science cannot understand it, and to believe in the possibility of anything else is irrational and backward.' Quite the opposite, because an open mind must accept the possibility that our understanding just doesn't go far enough. And furthermore, there is a measure of proof to the limitation of science in that literature and that sort of study stands outside of the realms of science, but still present us with truth. From that alone it is evident that science is not all things, and to limit oneself to that study of natural science (because, truthfully, it's only natural science, not science as a whole you're talking about, for true Science as the ancients would have understood it includes philosophy and theology) is to limit one's ability to examine the world. This does not advocate beliving here and there in all sorts of supernatural things, but instead is in the realm of the philisophical. I'll probably have to go on way longer to fully expand this, and likely as not I'll not have the energy, but merely take what you will from this.

Miracles of the natural sort then are simply events that are unlikely. We can't infer such a god from these things. Is it a miracle when someone wins the lottery? No, of course not. Though very improbable, such a thing is possible, and while we may be surprised when it happens because it is unlikely, it is not meaningful to say, in that surprise, "This must be the hand of the divine." That's simply adding something into the equation that isn't needed there. It is every bit as true to say of a natural miracle that it is an unlikely event which happened. The point isn't "Science can't describe it, so it is backward to believe", the point is "The world would not be different if this were true, and we have no evidence that this is the case, so why introduce it?" To say that asserting this sort of god doing this sort of miracles is ignorant would be merely to say that it does not add to our knowledge. What can we explain, what more can we learn if we say that every unlikely event, or even every event, is the invisible hand of the embodiment of observable natural laws? It is the same as saying that there is no god at all.

Miracles of the supernatural sort are a worse than useless thing, but that is another discussion.

One more thing I will say is that no, I'm not talking about a Deist God. After all, if God is extra-temporal, which we believe, then even if He set up an event to trigger now when he created the universe, it is still and act of God. To say 'God set up the universe then let it be' as the Deist belief is is not accounting for the belief in an extra temporal God, for whom the very comment 'set up and THEN let it be' is meaningless, because it implies being bound under time's constraints. If God wishes to change something now, he need only change something at the start of the universe, eh? Anyway, to say that a god whose existence matters falls within the scope of science is to have things the wrong way about. You're constraining a creator to the created, which is something that might have been pertient to the ancient beliefs in the Olympian gods, but is irrelevant to a monotheist.

It is good that we've narrowed down the sort of god we're talking about, as men have speculated many different gods. You bring up a good point, that the notion of a before and after is meaningless in the face of a being that is beyond the flow of time. What I am saying, and I believe that I have made this clear in this post, is that a universe run by a natural god, whether it is an actual entity or a poet's metaphor, is indistinguishable from one run by no god at all. So yes, it would fall out of the scope of science, because it would fall out of the scope of that which is knowable. This should be relevant to a monothiest, as it begs the question of why one should consider theism at all, if the postulated god is in no way knowable or distinguishable from it's own absence?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 05:44:45 am »
@TwilightSkies: Was that necessary?

A simple solution to the proof of God debate - seeing as how Kyronea is saying you can't prove God because science disproves it, while Krispin is saying you can't disprove God because he is outside the realms of science - brought to you by the boys from Boston Legal!

Alan Shore: Do you believe in God?
Denny Crane: Of course I do. You know I do.
Alan Shore: Why?
Denny Crane: Why? Why? B—because if you believe in God, and it turns out there’s no God, there’s no harm, no foul. But if you don’t believe in God, and it turns out there is one, you’re screwed.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2007, 07:55:58 am »
That's Pascal's Wager, and it's a very old, very stupid set of quotes that makes a seriously flawed assumption: that God will care if you deny His existence. It's based on a harshly conservative interpretation of Christianity and other religions that damn you to some sort of eternal damnation if you do not believe in their God. (Basically a way of instilling fear in the masses.)

The way I see it, any God that creates the universe is not going to care if you're denying His existence since you're such a tiny and insignificant person. Here's how it would really go:

Atheist: What the hell? I'm dead?

God: Yep.

Atheist: And you exist?

God: Yep.

Atheist: Oh...ehehehehe...sorry about that?

God: It's okay.

Besides, if God created us with the ability to think, wouldn't He rather we question his existence and come to our own conclusions rather than just accept Him based on faith? If He wanted us to accept him based purely on faith, why give us the ability to think critically and abstractly in the first place?

That's why Pascal's Wager is so stupid.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2007, 08:29:08 am »
Well, I think here we are talking about the Judeo-Christian religions, religions where God actually cares whether you believe in him or not. And think about it, if you were the almighty creator who created us and gave us means to live and shit, I think you'd be pretty pissed off he people denied you even existed. Also, it is stupid to believe that "oh no, if there was a God, he wouldn't care whether or not we believed in him, because obviously I know exactly what he'll think". If God did indeed create us with the intention for us to worship him, then he would care if we didn't worship him. And I think it's pretty certain by now that if the Monotheistic God does exist, and you deny his existence, you're screwed.

And what do you mean purely based on faith? I'm quite sure no religion says "believe because you can". If you blindly believe without thinking about it once, I doubt you'd get into Heaven or Hell - you'd just be thrown in Dumbass.

Sorry I can't make a Krispin style pwnage txt. =]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:30:52 am by Burning Zeppelin »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2007, 08:46:30 am »
If such a God created us to worship Him while still giving us the ability to think for ourselves, I say He is not worthy of our worship.

But the problem with the Judeo-Christian model is its limitations. It looks at things from a human perspective rather than the perspective such a being would have. Such a being would not care because something as simple as worship from what are basically amoeba in comparison would be meaningless. Think about it.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2007, 05:11:47 pm »
If such a God created us to worship Him while still giving us the ability to think for ourselves, I say He is not worthy of our worship.

But the problem with the Judeo-Christian model is its limitations. It looks at things from a human perspective rather than the perspective such a being would have. Such a being would not care because something as simple as worship from what are basically amoeba in comparison would be meaningless. Think about it.

It's been thought about, and you are about 3000 years too late in theological thought. It actually betrays a complete misunderstanding of Judeo Christian religions, and though I'm sure you think you're seeing some grand flaw in the whole works, it actually has very little to do with the precepts of these religions. See, you're working under the assumption that what God desires is worship from the masses, as though he were some Zeus or Marduk of the old polytheistic religions. Alright, so it's good to worship God, but this isn't some sort of appeasement - God did NOT create us to worship Him. God created people because he wanted creatures that were able to think for themselves ('in our own image'... is this physical image? Doubt it. But 'like us' meaning 'the ability to think and reason.') Anyway, 'worship' is not the central point of either Judaism or Christianity, but rather Justice is, in a very real way. The concept is rather that God created a world not just with physical laws, gravity and light and all that, but with moral laws including Justice. This Justice and Law is such that, for a willing crime, something must die. That is a basic law, and is effect of free well. You want to do evil? Fine, but you'll have to suffer the consequences. Unfortunately, free will also makes the avoidance of evil rather difficult, and indeed impossible, and this is understood by God. Herein is the rather clever solution to free will. Like I said, the law is that something must die, not in particular the sinner. The old Hebrews had their animal sacrifies, the death of something to atone for sin - a religion of atonement, as opposed to appeasement, I call it (note you've taken it for the latter, which figures in most ancient religions, but in fact which is different in the Judeo-Christian scheme.) It is based on the justice of punishing crime... and if the criminal cannot afford to pay, have something else to pay. The final Christian solution to this is that God Himself dies to pay for sin. But since it is an eternal and limitless God dying, it doesn't just atone for this person or that, but for every single person. Belief in God, then, is neccessary not because of God acting like a tyrant, because belief itself is a willingness to be put under the protection of that atoneing sacrifice, which is neccessary to satisfy the demands of universal justice. If you don't believe in God, then you're saying you don't want that sacrifice to protect you, in which case you are just put at the mercy of justice. So much for that.

Furthermore, you're making another grave mistake in calling people 'amoeba' next to God. Unfortuately, the irony is that, once again, it's your view that's too limited. Yes, for a greater being the smaller the thing the more insignificant. But for an infinite being? Nothing is too small, and nothing is 'meaningless by comparison.' Think about THAT. So, in fact, people do NOT become meaningless, and it is not the Judeo-Christian model that limits, but rather the scientific one, by what you yourself have proven. You right away assumed that a deity would be limited to such a trite thing as relative comparisons of importance such as exist in the animal kingdom. You say that it's only looking at it from a human perspective, but quite the opposite, it always takes the eternal perspctive; you, on the other hand, have only looked at things from the perspective of natural science, and once again underestimated God.

This is why I've been saying what I have. Science is good and fine, but it can't be used to look at God. That is not its purpose, and when one tries you get such statements as 'people being as meaningless as an amoeba in comparison', which are totally off the mark. That is the very reason you cannot use it.

Oh, well, this wasn't a particularly good argument today. Take what you will from it. I just hope you understand you're sticking far too much to your dogma of natural sciences. You must open your mind.

PS
You say that a God that is universal would be rather irrelevent, but that's an utterly unscientific statement. Kyronea, we are affected by Physics whether we undersand it or not. If we jump off a high cliff, we'll die because of physics. It doesn't matter whether we know it or not and, to a very real extent, it doesn't matter if we understand it. As creatures, we can live quite fine in ignorance. Physics as an understood science isn't any different in its workings than when we were ignorant of it, because it is an 'invisible' force. Then why the heck do we care about it? Because we as humans are curious. We wish to learn. More than this, we need to learn. However, think about it, what are we learning about physics? It's effect, right? And from its effects, we hypothesise about its nature. God and the universe is very much like that. We can only see the effects. Just like physics, it all seems natural. But does this make God irrelivant? If physics isn't, why should God be? Hmm... not coming across as clearly as I'd like it to. Okay, how's this. Think about the people before Newton and the study of physics. If they were to fall, say, 10ft, what would they say? What cause it? What a stupid question! You fell because you fell. People fall when they drop off a height. How the heck could you 'investigate' that. That's just a rule of the world, and there is nothing behind it. But then you've got Newton and the other physicists start to think 'wait, maybe there are understandable rules and things BEHIND these effects.' Indeed, what is different than this concept, and thinking 'these effects in the world that seem natural... what if God stands behind these?' To ask 'why then is God neccessary if they are natural' is about as absurd as saying 'why is it neccessary to study the laws of physics.'
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:22:14 pm by Daniel Krispin »