Author Topic: Chicxulub Impact Crater, Lavos?  (Read 6731 times)

jihnsius

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Chicxulub Impact Crater, Lavos?
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:22 pm »
Just a wild thought, but one I've been considering nonetheless: Chicxulub is supposedly the impact crater at which the meteorite that extincted the dinosaurs landed.

Perhaps Lavos is here on Earth, and Chrono Trigger wasn't simply a fictional story, but a foreshadowing?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chicxulub Impact Crater, Lavos?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:51:03 pm »
Just a wild thought, but one I've been considering nonetheless: Chicxulub is supposedly the impact crater at which the meteorite that extincted the dinosaurs landed.

Perhaps Lavos is here on Earth, and Chrono Trigger wasn't simply a fictional story, but a foreshadowing?
Unlikely. For one thing, in the Chronoverse spiritual energy is measureable, and we have no form of energy that could be called spiritual in reality. Secondly, there is not even a hint of some older society like Zeal, nor is there any hint our evolution was accelerated due to contact with the Frozen Flame.

And finally, it's just fiction. Lavos's affect on the dinosaurs was based on the Chixulub Impact Event, not the other way around.

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
  • Need you not a swordsman?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:06:48 pm »

Well, of you buy into the ramblings of pseudo-historians, there are hints of grand civilizations of aeons past.  Look to Graham Hancock.

Mind you, I think he's a nutter.  His books are intriguing in the same way that historical fiction novels are.

jihnsius

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:41:10 am »
nor is there any hint our evolution was accelerated due to contact with the Frozen Flame.

And finally, it's just fiction. Lavos's affect on the dinosaurs was based on the Chixulub Impact Event, not the other way around.

Perhaps not accelerated, but could it not be construed as supported by "Lavos'" landing at Chicxulub?

As for Zeal, reference to the connections to Atlantis: Supposedly in the Carribean, harnessing the powers of nature, "coincidentally" close to Chicxulub.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:44:45 am by jihnsius »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:53:29 am »
Myths, my friend. Furthermore, I suggest you study the Chicxulub Impact Event before spouting off such nonsense. It was an iridium rich asteroid, not an organic Planet-consuming parasite.

jihnsius

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:57:54 am »
Myths, my friend. Furthermore, I suggest you study the Chicxulub Impact Event before spouting off such nonsense. It was an iridium rich asteroid, not an organic Planet-consuming parasite.

Perhaps Lavos was an iridium-based lifeform, or at least his shell. It would make sense, having to survive for such a long period of time, to have a corrosion resistant shell, would it not?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:25:12 am by jihnsius »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:56:44 am »
Well it's past 1999, so can we put this one to bed?

(Even though New Year's Eve of 1999 I was a bit nervous Lavos would come out and end the world. :lol:)

Kyoji

• Earthbound (+15)
  • DNA > Cheesekcake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 02:05:12 am »
Just because it is past 1999 doesn't mean that there remains the remote possibility of a Lavos disaster. Our levels of technology haven't reached the levels of technology that were avaliable in 1999 A.D. in the CT world, at least from what we can tell currently. While I won't completely deny the idea of our own world being Lavos infested such as Kyronea did, I won't place any real faith on it either. Besides, not a healthy idea to support a parasitic lifeform that will eventually destroy us all.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 08:25:14 am »
Just because it is past 1999 doesn't mean that there remains the remote possibility of a Lavos disaster. Our levels of technology haven't reached the levels of technology that were avaliable in 1999 A.D. in the CT world, at least from what we can tell currently. While I won't completely deny the idea of our own world being Lavos infested such as Kyronea did, I won't place any real faith on it either. Besides, not a healthy idea to support a parasitic lifeform that will eventually destroy us all.

I know that you can't rule anything out, but I , and it seems you too, believe that it is very unlikely. Who knows what's in store for Earth. I certainly don't know, and no one can claim they can.

But, if Lavos does appear sometime in the future, I'll be ready with broadsword in hand to take his ass down.

jihnsius

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:25:24 am »
I think it's (and sorry if I offend anyone here) just as likely that Lavos exists and is inhabiting Earth through the Chicxulub (or any other, for that matter) crater as it is that Jesus is God, or [religious belief].

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 11:11:35 am »
So, basically, it's not at all possible? Great!

By the way, there is a difference between being open-minded and being stupid. Being open-minded means you are skeptical but willing to accept what people can substantially prove. For instance, if someone offered me concrete, repeatable evidence of magic, I would accept the existance of magic. (Admittedly I would seek to figure out how it works, if it's just another type of energy or what have you, but that's beside the point.)

Being stupid means just accepting whatever odd ideas people come up with, like "pyramid power" or that New Age stuff.

Kyoji

• Earthbound (+15)
  • DNA > Cheesekcake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:22:36 am »
Being stupid means just accepting whatever odd ideas people come up with, like "pyramid power" or that New Age stuff.

I don't think any of us are accepting the idea to be truth. We were just stating the point that even though extremely unlikely there is always the very remote possibility that Lavos is resting peacefully in his pocket dimension inside our planet. And even if Lavos isn't, that doesn't mean in some other reality that such an event didn't occur. All possibilities can be reality somewhere at some time.

Kenji

• Fan Project Leader
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ideologues
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 05:29:50 am »
I think it'd be safer to suggest that Lavos will eventually come into being during the effectively eternal Quantum Reign that begins after the slow, torturous, freezing death of the universe. :P When quantum effects are king, anything literally can and, theoretically, everything will happen!

Of course, that'd also mean that there'd be flying pigs, competent politicians, and Sephiroth... my, the sky is indeed the limit.

While it may be indeed possible that a planetary parasite is indeed infesting our planet from beneath the crust, that would be resting on a few other major assumptions, the greatest being that the Gaia concept (the planet has a lifeforce, which it may or may not share with us) is true.

Even if it is true, it probably won't affect us in the least.  If we're talking about a being that has been sapping away the lifeforce of our planet for the last 65 million years, without any noticeable change in our planet's capability to bear life (think FFVII's spiel about what happens when enough Makou is removed), then that being probably won't emerge to rain destruction from the heavens while the human race still exists.  We've been here for 100,000 years... those are tiny chances.

Besides, considering the crap that flies around in our universe, as well as the huge radiation effects, I'd say the wholesale decimation of the dinosaurs was "getting off light."  It was the most common of common disasters, hardly anything so significant as a planet-eater.  Who knows?  A magnetar may be in our near future, and that would solve all our problems... :D

jihnsius

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 03:53:53 pm »
I propose that Lavos is responsible for global warming.

Kenji

• Fan Project Leader
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ideologues
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 11:59:50 pm »
Branching response time!!

If you're saying that as an example of "environmental degeneration," global warming doesn't count.  The earth was hotter than it is even now in the Mesozoic Era, when dinosaurs reigned... hell, we're still in the ice age!  The way it's happening may not be natural, but the earth warming certainly is.

If you're saying it just to be silly, then I propose that George W. Bush is Lavos' terminal, just like Queen Zeal was.