Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336644 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3540 on: October 08, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
Had another brainstorm. Another idea for a Mystery / Thriller. For now I'll call this, "Project Ghost File".

That reminds me: Who do you guys do with impossible, ridiculous/crazy thoughts?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:03 am »
I was struck by the memory of the G.I. Joe PSAs recently -- anyone else remember these? I think they used to play these at the end of episodes, or something. I know I'm cherry-picking some examples here, but still...I'm glad that I was able to grow up exposed to media like this so early in life.

[youtube]vFthiZ_Jftc[/youtube]

[youtube]B8TMKe2A20E[/youtube]

[youtube]uJcjWdz9C0U[/youtube]

[youtube]y3j_mTzfU9M[/youtube]

Alas, I'm 99% sure the series wasn't as progressive as these PSA portrayals (and note the absence of minority women among the hero characters), but these were an impressive start at a time when Grimm's Fairytales were all the rage in the official grade school curriculum I grew up with. Plus, I learned tons of survival skills!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:19:40 am by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3542 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:19 am »
Hah, I remember those. G.I. Joe were my favourite heroes back in the day when other kids drooled over "Superman" and such. Those of us fans of the "International Heroes" (yeah, they were called as such -- a special military division of united nations) realized how heroes are simply trained humans like us who risk their lives to make the world a peaceful place, and we began to respect the real-world military and grew patriotic.

And those PSAs were awesome! "Knowing is half the battle", that was a statement I used to repeat to myself quite often. Can't believe I forgot. XD Haha, nostalgia much?

P.S.: It just struck me. There are more G.I.Joe soldiers than there are Pokemon. So why does the media only pick a handful of them most of the time?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:56:58 am by tushantin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: October 09, 2011, 02:16:19 pm »
As a teenager I drank a lot of soda. Eventually, my senior year, I decided to stop drinking soda. I did this for about a year. During this time I drank a lot of carbonated water and flavored water, in addition to a large sum of blue raspberry Coolaid. This, in turn, led to a mild interest in healthy eating, which led to a prolonged stretch as a vegetarian.

About a year ago I took a health assessment and discovered that I have slightly higher than average blood pressure, in addition to high(er) cholesterol. I am 26 years old, and for those of you who don't really know me, I have a wife and newborn baby. This has inspired me to go back to my roots!

So I'm about a week in of healthy living. I have only had half of a 20oz bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper (it was intentional as a celebratory drink). My wife wanted one last night, I bought one for her, and I didn't have a drop. This is a big deal because I would drink about four-to-five liters of Diet Dr. Pepper per week, in addition to two or three cans at work (per week).

I have been drinking loads of water and, when the need for a fizzy drinks grabs me, I drink carbonated water. No Coolaid (too much sugar). We are also eating healthier - we aren't going vegetarian, but we aren't buying meat and cooking it in the home. We are saving meat for eating out celebrations only. We rarely eat out as is, due to single-family income-level status. We are doing lots of smoothies, vegetables, fruits, etc. A much better diet overall!

I told my wife that the only thing I can't give up is flour tortilla's. Whole wheat one's are utter rubbish! Also, I choose skim milk over soymilk for some things.

Last night I bought a pound of garbanzo beans and boiled them. This morning I boiled 'em up, added one-and-a-half squeezed lemon (juice), about 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2/3 a can of vegetable stock, one minced garlic, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of pepper, and a a half teaspoon of salt. Blended them together and...

I LOVE HOMEMADE HUMMUS!

My first attempt turned out well. I made two batches, one of which I've frozen. My second attempt was better because I had a better "taste" for what I was working with. Next time I'm going to try some pine nuts, maybe some diced tomato's and peppers... The possibilities are endless!

If anyone has any healthy recipe's they want to share, I'm all ears... :)

Tonight we are making cabbage rolls to get rid of the beef in the freezer. Woo-hoo!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:18:25 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3544 on: October 09, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »
I was struck by the memory of the G.I. Joe PSAs recently -- anyone else remember these? I think they used to play these at the end of episodes, or something. I know I'm cherry-picking some examples here, but still...I'm glad that I was able to grow up exposed to media like this so early in life.

I did not get to grow up in the time of GI Joe, so unfortunately I've only been exposed to the parodies of the famous quote "And knowing is half the battle." Also these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUlRnb8OfNE&[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5kFrCINpl8&feature=related[/youtube]

I know these aren't as progressive as what you remember.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: October 10, 2011, 12:09:56 am »
If anyone has any healthy recipe's they want to share, I'm all ears... :)

The Compendium already has no less than three separate threads devoted to sharing recipes and talking about food, although none of them ever really took hold. I suggest you revive one of them!

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,2506.0.html
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,4280.0.html
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3905.0.html

I'm guessing that you won't be going for my famous J Shakes of Dr. Pepper and whipping cream. =P

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:58 am »
1,500 people have joined my synesthesia fan page group on Facebook.  =)

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: October 10, 2011, 10:22:52 pm »
I has a pumpkin!

Tomorrow, the pumpkin shall be roasted, and I will make yummy things from it. First, pumpkin bread. And if there's enough pumpkin puree left over (which there should be!), pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies!

And later on this week (or month): Labneh!
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Making_Laban/Labneh.htm

(I love food. I'm also quite hungry right now, haha.)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: October 10, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »
Oh, howlz yeah!

I bought some tiny pumpkins the other day, and put a photo up on Facebook.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: October 11, 2011, 11:39:55 pm »
While we're on the topic of food...

I love D's black bean burritos.  They are delicious beyond all reason.

More importantly, I love that D is an excellent cook.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3550 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:30 am »
Paradise Lost, The Audio Book!  :D I wish every book was also an Audio Book or Audio Drama.

Don't you just love the Final Biblical Battle, like an FF/CT-style Boss Battle between Michael and Lucifer? Somehow, whenever it's about those two duking it out, I also imagine the battles between Zero's army against the valiant Suzaku (from obviously one of the best anime ever made). It's like the world burning when two warriors, one of the Necessary Evil and one of unbreakable ideals, clash their swords decisively.

BOO! So you're on a health / vegetable streak? Check out Baingan Bharta. If you don't want the oil, you can substitute as you like (there's also a variant, I think, "Boiled Bharta" where oil is absent).

What I personally had today, though, was even better: Stuffed Brinjal Curry. Again, substitute what you don't want with healthier ingredients (don't ask me, I ain't a chef), though the one I had at home doesn't have coconuts or green chilli.

8) Have a lovely dinner!

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:25 pm »
Have to brag a bit about something entirely inconsequential:

HELL TO THE YEAH MY SILLY TUMBLR HIT 700 FOLLOWERS   8)

(It's a themed tumblr, not a personal one, so that helps. But who would have known that a bunch of pictures of crossdressing lady dandy types would have any kind of audience? Not me!)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:35:20 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3552 on: October 13, 2011, 05:47:14 pm »
HELL TO THE YEAH MY SILLY TUMBLR HIT 700 FOLLOWERS   8)

(It's a themed tumblr, not a personal one, so that helps. But who would have known that a bunch of pictures of crossdressing lady dandy types would have any kind of audience? Not me!)
What. The. Heck? XD

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: October 13, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »
I'm (pretty) genderqueer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer. I like dressing up like this

and doing my best Lord Byron impression. I realize this is not a very common hobby, so I have a tumblr about it. XD
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:54:48 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3554 on: October 13, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
That may not be a common hobby, but it certainly seems like an awesome one.  :lee:

Wait a second. That's you? XD The same avatars earlier? And all the while I pondered if the woman was a professional movie actress!