Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 328529 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3510 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:59 pm »
My love for today: Thought and Josh. Everytime I see these two conversing in any thread I imagine Mycroft Holmes and Napoleon, two ingenious masterminds playing chess calmly and having tea while the world burns before them. Of course, it isn't too bad -- quite frankly, that sounds badass! -- because every move they make is calculated, and every play serves as the advancement of thought and mindset of civilizations.

Either that, or I simply have a weird imagination. Still, they weren't the only victims of me painting people as awesomeness; FaustWolf somehow reminds me of Amyus Crowe, an American Bounty-Hunter and Tracker and master of calm reasoning (well... his muscles are titanium-like), while I see Sajainta as Captain Holly Short, Syna as either the "Pretty and Wise Girl Too Mature For Her Age" or the wise lady Anjali Mehta (note: the name Anjali also seems to stem from the word Angel), and RW reminds me of Bob:D

xDDDD Kidding! RushingWind reminds me of Lucca. As for ZeaLitY... eh... it's complex. At first I saw him like THIS, but now I see him like THIS! ....Yeah, that's Akuma dancing to Italidisco. You can say that his SoY has truly transformed him.

The second love for today is perhaps a bit of a bit unexpected for others to read. It's Faustwolf. I am quite envious of his insights, affability, and infectious passion. It just seemed like such a fine fellow needs to occasionally be praised.
You serious?  :D FaustWolf's a LEGEND! A LEGEND, I tell ya!

Among any of us here, he is the best dreamer and the wisest individual! And did I tell you about his knack of inspiring people and bringing out the best in them? You'd say that a person like FW is God-Sent indeed, like a key to all locked doors in the world!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: September 27, 2011, 10:05:10 pm »
Normally I wouldn't post about this stuff, but I just finished spriting a very special boss for Lance's game and I'm balls-to-the-wall excited about it. :-D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3512 on: September 27, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: September 27, 2011, 10:35:27 pm »
For you spiders lovers and outdoor enthusiasts alike, I have an experiment for you. At night, take a flashlight and go to a flat, grassy area. Hold the light at eye level and look for the reflections. All of those are the eyes of wolf spiders!

Normally I wouldn't post about this stuff, but I just finished spriting a very special boss for Lance's game and I'm balls-to-the-wall excited about it. :-D
Ooh, looking forward to it.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: September 28, 2011, 12:48:55 am »
Hmm, apparently I am on a loving-roll lately. Whelp, let's keep the love train at full-steam!

Perhaps you have heard of Wizard Rock? It is a "genre" of music that is about Harry Potter. Beyond that, it has also spawned another similar "genre," Trock (aka, Time Lord Rock). My wife discovered it recently and we've been hooked for the last few days. It is wonderful, inspirational, fun, or all together, at once. For your enlightenment, I present:

Funny story, actually.  A week before DH2 came out some friends and I went to a Harry and the Potters concert downtown.  It was a really fun experience.  I've never heard of trock but thanks for making me aware.  I think I'm becoming more obsessed with the series day by day.  ><  The ending of the last episode killed me.

Oh, and just for clarification, opiliones aren't spiders.  They look like spiders and they're arachnids but just like daddy long-legs, they aren't spiders.

/has a sibling who studies / reads about spiders for fun

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: September 28, 2011, 01:36:35 am »
I think I'm becoming more obsessed with the series day by day.  ><  The ending of the last episode killed me.

Was this "The God Complex" or "Closing Time"? Since BBC America shows them a week after the UK airing, but Americans can still watch them along with the Brits with the right cable package, it can get confusing.

As a side note, that creative project I noted a few posts up? It's a Doctor Who themed project ;)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: September 28, 2011, 02:43:13 am »
Closing Time.  The ending made up for the fact that it was a Cyberman episode.  I'm really not a fan of the Cybermen.  I think they're incredibly boring enemies.  I liked Stormageddon though.  XP

There's a website where you can watch every episode from every season, and so I've been using that for Season 6.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:46:42 am by Sajainta »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:16 am »
I know that opiliones aren't technically spiders, but they sure are honorary ones!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: September 28, 2011, 05:40:59 am »
I know that opiliones aren't technically spiders, but they sure are honorary ones!

Hah!  Indeed.  Opiliones and daddy-long-legs are the only spider-y creatures I can tolerate being in the same room with (I have really bad arachnophobia).

Those guys, and my brother's two tarantulas.  Because they're fuzzy and I see them as pets more than spiders.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3519 on: September 28, 2011, 05:51:31 am »
I'm really not a fan of the Cybermen.  I think they're incredibly boring enemies.
Just gimme a good reason to write a fanfic / script for them, and you'd begin to love them more than the Weeping Angels.  :wink:

Problem is, with that kinda script I'm not so Doctor would even survive as long as he could in the Stolen Earth episode; they'd be overpowered. If anything, I find the Daleks boring.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: September 28, 2011, 06:07:15 am »
Daleks--lol.
Cybermen--dull.
The Master--bit cheesy, but overall an interesting twist, and I loved the random mentions of him throughout that season.  He was pretty dastardly, though.
Silence--why aren't they more scary!?  I've been really disappointed with the Silence so far.
Vashta Nerada--pretty frightening.
Weeping Angels--OH JESUS CHRIST I AM NEVER GOING TO SLEEP EVER AGAIN.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: September 28, 2011, 11:03:40 am »
What you have to remember about the Cybermen and the Daleks is that they were conceived when the show was first on, way back in the 60s. What they did, instead of making the Daleks really scary, was quite clever. They made a creature who is the epitome of annoyance. They purposely don't look like people so you can't relate with them. Their voices are intentionally distorted so they are just screeching all the time and can barely be understood. Everything about them is annoying and jarring on a subconscious level and you just want them DEAD. I get it, I do, but I just don't like when they are the main focus on an episode. When you make a character who is intentionally annoying and then intentionally focus your show on that character, what you're doing is intentionally making your show annoying.

Cybermen are also just lame intentionally. The whole point is that cybernetic armor around the head is considered an "upgrade". But they move extremely slowly, they're very loud, their field of vision is shorter than a regular human's. Their voices are indistinguishable and they have limited free will and cognitive ability, which is necessary to survive in a battle with someone like The Doctor. Just about everything about a Cyberman's body is a downgrade from a human, but they won't admit it. They embody willful ignorance and persecute based on it. Again, I get it, but I don't like it.

I feel like neither of these "species" of enemy are particularly interesting. In fact each is a one-trick-pony with less versatility than several other types of enemies the doctor has faced, and the only reason they're constantly brought back (even when they're supposedly all destroyed or lost in time, etc) is for nostalgia.

Weeping Angels are wonderful enemies because you have to look at them and blinking is an involuntary reaction you can't train yourself against in the heat of the moment. I loved the semi-teaser when Rassilon and the Time Lords came through and there was that woman covering her eyes. I'm gonna have to watch that episode again. Vashta Nerada is scary because you can't see it. The living (thus HUNGRY!) shadow should be brought back again, as should the Silence. At least they could expand on how the Silence has been "leading" humans around for ages.

Really the badguys in Doctor Who are usually the worst part of the show, unless you really hate Deus Ex Machina, in which case you won't relate to my opinion as much. My least favorite thing is when an enemy repeats their words over and over and over again. It's not scary, it's annoying.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: September 28, 2011, 03:56:43 pm »
Aw yeah, finally got my invite to Diaspora. Now to compare with Facebook and Google+.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3523 on: September 28, 2011, 05:08:33 pm »
Aw yeah, finally got my invite to Diaspora. Now to compare with Facebook and Google+.
XD Lookin forward to your review. I like Google+ better than Facebook, but unfortunately everyone's on Facebook (which I rarely log into).

Cybermen are also just lame intentionally. The whole point is that cybernetic armor around the head is considered an "upgrade". But they move extremely slowly, they're very loud, their field of vision is shorter than a regular human's. Their voices are indistinguishable and they have limited free will and cognitive ability, which is necessary to survive in a battle with someone like The Doctor. Just about everything about a Cyberman's body is a downgrade from a human, but they won't admit it. They embody willful ignorance and persecute based on it. Again, I get it, but I don't like it.
Hah! I beg to differ. The Cyberman were lame in practice, but sounded awesome in theory -- and I tell ya, if it's awesome in theory then there's a way to make it even more awesome in practice, but there's a method to everything.

From what I remember of the Cybermen, beyond what was obvious, was that what made them increasing terrifying in concept was their incapable of feeling fear. Why? Because they were an extraordinary fusion of men and machine, something that quite a lot of people were afraid of back in those days (see: Terminator). Unfortunately, a budget sci-fi can only go so far. Fortunately, there are ways to give them upgrades; Man & Machine theory opens up a whole new universe of possibilities, much like it did for Ghost In The Shell.

Think about it: Cyberman aren't just restricted to walking and planning. They can also develop Hive Minds via aerial broadcast connection, always anticipate their enemies movements (much like CC's FATE), plan 10 steps ahead (much like the Paradol Chamber), go beyond humanoid (much like the Transformers), infiltration and network hijack with the Cybermats (much like espionage movies), TARDIS-hacking, mind-hacking, influencing chaos and always evading capture (much like Ghost In The Shell), capable of fusing into a fucking ROBOT DINOSAUR (much like Chrono Trigger), taking over planets with immense speed and mobility for combat (much like Dragonall fucking Z), and simply making Doctor's life a living hell.

It's like Transformers meets Die Hard meets Ghost In The Shell meets...

....or maybe I should give up my hopes to be the next Doctor Who's writer...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:14:54 pm by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: September 28, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »
I see where you're going. In concept they have the potential to be cool badguys, but they just haven't been used in a way that really makes them scary or even particularly threatening. It is a massive challenge from every angle to make robot people scary again like they used to be.