Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 139728 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #600 on: January 19, 2009, 03:25:51 am »
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,6290.msg137147.html#msg137147
I hate to quote it again, but see the script...
LOL
It's a wooden pendant instead of a blue gemstone pendant.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:27:52 am by utunnels »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 19, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »
Perhaps when the design is confirmed, CT 99's CG had not been made at all.

Oh yeah! That explains it then. They chose a different look for the pendant in the PSX Chrono Trigger. That's the only explanation.

Quote from: Shadow
Would THIS also be similar to what you speak of?

No, it's not. I don't know if you've beaten Cross yet but this isn't much of a spoiler anyways - in the ending FMV there is a girl holding Kid's pendant, the purple one from around her neck, which is clearly Schala's pendant.

I've always found it to be readily apparent that the blue amulet is in the bag.

No, as others have pointed out, this is not the case. They are different objects. Utunnels realization that the PSX CT's FMV's were made after Cross' probably explains this. The design in the CT FMV's was meant to resemble the pendant sprite from the game itself. In Cross they probably started from scratch.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 19, 2009, 05:59:09 pm »

No, it's not. I don't know if you've beaten Cross yet but this isn't much of a spoiler anyways - in the ending FMV there is a girl holding Kid's pendant, the purple one from around her neck, which is clearly Schala's pendant.

That's a pretty big change. I don't know if it is really the Pendent? But yeah she is obviously holding it. It could be.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 19, 2009, 06:10:46 pm »

Screenshot, please!

Quote from:  Rule 11
You must have pictures to prove your statements.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 19, 2009, 08:20:19 pm »
How does Cross reference Schala's pendant?  If it uses the word "pendant", then it cannot be the purple thing around Kid's neck.  That's a necklace - they are completely different.   It would be like saying "wristband" in reference to a bracelet.   

The only way the purple necklace could be Schala's pendant is if CC calls it "schala's necklace" or something.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:29 pm »
You must have pictures to prove your statements.

I shouldn't have to post a picture to prove my statements if it is common knowledge and the Chrono Cross Ending FMV is readily available for anyone that knows how to spell and make a YouTube search. But since you asked:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/718843/chrono_cross_ending/

This is the Chrono Cross Ending FMV. Near the end of it, at 4:49 approx. "Schala" is shown standing in the middle of an intersection. There is a close up of the necklace in her hand. The bead-design of it is identical to the necklace Kid wears around her neck.

How does Cross reference Schala's pendant?  If it uses the word "pendant", then it cannot be the purple thing around Kid's neck.  That's a necklace - they are completely different.   It would be like saying "wristband" in reference to a bracelet.  

The only way the purple necklace could be Schala's pendant is if CC calls it "schala's necklace" or something.

Good question, I'll get a script quote later unless someone beats me to it, but I think it calls it a "necklace" actually. I may be wrong about that.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 19, 2009, 11:39:38 pm »
Damn this fucking laptop.

It don't like no MetaCafe.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 20, 2009, 08:14:04 pm »
Alright, alright - since everybody is too lazy to search the script of Chrono Cross, this will settle things once and for all about the pendant issue. This is the only quote I could find in the Cross script that references the pendant, and it is a completely different object from the Astral Amulet as evidenced by what Lucca says when you show her the Astral Amulet (utunnels quoted that above).

Yes, Serge...
   The sound of your crying
   touched the heart of
   Princess Schala...
   Before the destructive mind-
   set could become dominant,
   she cloned herself and sent
   her copy into this dimension.
   Schala left her baby
   daughter-clone with her
   ancient pendant, possessing
   magical powers
   This was to safeguard her
   daughter-clone in life-and-
   death situations.
   The pendant would rewind
   time a little, sending her
   daughter-clone into a safer
   point in the immediate past.

Now, this leaves it ambiguous as to whether or not the purple necklace around Kid's neck is supposed to be Schala's pendant necklace, but if it isn't, then why does Schala in the Time Devourer fight not have a pendant around her neck and why does the person in the ending FMV who is supposed to represent a "real world Schala" carry Kid's necklace?

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:16 pm »
Hey, I agreed with you, no need to call me lazy.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 20, 2009, 08:22:05 pm »
I searched using 'necklace'.

I know, wrong word.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 20, 2009, 08:24:52 pm »
Well, if they call it a pendant and it isn't some translation error then that settles it.  The purple necklace cannot be Schala's pendant because..... it isn't a pendant.

Perhaps the ending sequence shows Kid's necklace just so we know that the girl is Kid (or Schala... whatever).  It may sound like a stupid reason, but I think the audience is just supposed to think:

"oh man, is that Kid?   Oh snap, the necklace, yep it sure is Kid - no speculation for me!"

maybe  :D

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 20, 2009, 08:37:39 pm »

Chill, I was just joking  :D

Well Eske, I say it is splitting hairs. Look at the original form of the pendant in Trigger - if you were to ask ten people what they would call that object, how many do you think would say "it's a pendant" or "it's a necklace"? The two words are (almost) interchangeable, at least to the degree that you could be confused by them unlike comparing say - apples and oranges  :D.

Now say you are drawing out the concept art for Cross way back when (before the new CT FMV's were created) and you wanted to represent Schala's pendant/necklace. How would you do it? The sprite in CT leaves the design open to huge interpretation.

EDIT: I just thought of something, in the wedding photo of Serge and Kid (/Schala?), she has a necklace around her neck but it doesn't look like Kid's necklace. Can anyone do some photo magic on that and see if it depicts Schala's pendant? If so then that is a pretty big nail in the coffin for Kid's necklace =/= Schala's.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 20, 2009, 08:53:39 pm »

Chill, I was just joking  :D

Well Eske, I say it is splitting hairs. Look at the original form of the pendant in Trigger - if you were to ask ten people what they would call that object, how many do you think would say "it's a pendant" or "it's a necklace"? The two words are (almost) interchangeable, at least to the degree that you could be confused by them unlike comparing say - apples and oranges  :D.

Now say you are drawing out the concept art for Cross way back when (before the new CT FMV's were created) and you wanted to represent Schala's pendant/necklace. How would you do it? The sprite in CT leaves the design open to huge interpretation.

But the sprite in CT leaves no room for confusion.  It is a rope/chain with something round dangling at the end.  It is actually a pendant.    For a random person on the street to point out Schala's pendant as a necklace is understandable.  "Necklace" has become a generic term for such jewelry.  But a pendant is a more specific type of "necklace", I doubt that a woman would brag to others "yea my husband got me this gold pendant for xmas" when it is clearly a necklace or choker - to me that sounds... awkward.  Perhaps a woman's perspective could help... where is teaflower lol      But yea, calling a pendant a necklace, probably commonish,  but calling a necklace a pendant - hmmm strange.

Then again, they changed Schala's hair color - gotta love the "to hell with consistency" mentality. 

maybe  :D

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 20, 2009, 08:58:01 pm »
Then again, they changed Schala's hair color - gotta love the "to hell with consistency" mentality.

They also changed RD Kid's. WTF, guys?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #614 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:26 pm »
The necklace in the Tokyo ending could be, though I hate to admit, evidence of the merger between them...Though I don't really believe they did, myself, it might hold some credence in that regard, but then again, I don't hold that the Tokyo stuff is really supposed to be canon anyways...