Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 141255 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #540 on: January 15, 2009, 10:44:36 pm »
And, also, what exactly was Dalton's "rank"? Are we ever told he's a military general of some kind? Or is he just the Queen's lapdog that he appears to be?

Well, if you read the encyclopedia of the site you moderate to a ridiculous amount you would already know. But I suppose I will look it up for you.

No need to be an ass about it. I know I never am! >_>

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Dalton.html

He was a military leader, and come on no one would actually use "WHAT'S THAT!?" to trick someone, so it was totally unexpected and a perfect example. Also Dalton is experienced in machinery. He builds the Ocean Palace and the Black Bird. But it's not like it matters he didn't need to build weaponry, he is strong enough.

That doesn't say that he's a military leader...It really just says he's a security guard. And if you think that trick is an example of a strategic military mind...You are wrong.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #541 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:09 pm »
I'll just throw this out there.. Supposedly Serge loose(or will) all of his memories and so do all of his companions. I'd certainly be asking questions after waking up on a beach, feeling much stronger than the day before, because Serge's physique must have improved from the adventure, as well as having my favorite weapon all of a sudden having a rainbow look or looking very fancy and much deadlier than the Sea Swallow... In fact, that's another question that is raised, but not that important, what on earth happens to those 3 dream dorks, Masa, Mune & Doreen after the split dimensions are unified?

In the ideal timeline to my understanding he would wake up without /any of the adventure occurring/. This is why he would lose his memory. This would also be why he would not retain his badass weapon or his improved physique. It's as if it never happened.

The fact that he recounts part of his adventures at the end refutes this, and refutes part of what Schala/Kid says about him losing his memory...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 15, 2009, 10:56:46 pm »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2009, 11:14:04 pm »
I wasn't asking to get an answer. It was more of like a base to place the posilibity.

Since it is, then they would stay as Mastermune in the ideal time line, and would be with Serge as he wakes up on the beach. There, question solved.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:43 pm »
Did the compendium determine when the Masamune became Demonic? If not, then it's possible that there is a relation to the Masamune only turning Demonic after the dimension split? Maybe in the ideal timeline, the Masamune is no longer Demonic?

Perhaps the Masamune 'properties' are affected by the alignment of the most powerful force on the face of the planet? It was only a dagger when Zeal ruled, the alignment of that kingdom was not evil, only that of it's queen was evil and the people were just daydreaming their lives away. The Masamune had a majestic look during the reign of Guardia. Finally, it took a Demonic turn once Guardia had fallen and Porre is proclaimed the most powerful nation and they very well seem bent on conquest of the Zenan continent, El Nido and very well the entire world.

I'll admit that my second paragraph is like way out there.. But that Dreamstone is pretty tricky stuff.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2009, 11:47:02 pm »
Actually, the Masamune becoming demonic will happen since it turned that way before the split.

Onikage725

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 16, 2009, 12:00:31 am »
That doesn't say that he's a military leader...It really just says he's a security guard. And if you think that trick is an example of a strategic military mind...You are wrong.

No comment on the military mind thing, but I do have to say that being the leader of Zeal's security force does basically make him their SecDef. I don't really think they had a military in the way we think about it. And what for? To repel other nations? There were the Enlightened of Zeal and the Earthbound below, who lived in squalor with no tech whatsoever. And since Dalton commanded the Blackbird and was in charge of processing the slave labor from the Earthbound... I think it's safe to say that he's the closest they had to a general of some sort.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 16, 2009, 02:04:14 am »
Actually, the Masamune becoming demonic will happen since it turned that way before the split.

Then what is the fate of the Mastermune?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #548 on: January 16, 2009, 02:54:27 am »
I assume the fate of most everything else post-merge: Unknown.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:31 am »
The fact that Grobyc was constructed in 994A.D. leads me to believe Porre was already girding itself for war long before Dalton's arrival anyway.

The only thing we know for sure is that Grobyc is 26, that he's a cyborg, and that it was Luccia's brother that turned him into a cyborg. 994 A.D. is probably when Grobyc was born as a normal human. He was turned into a cyborg probably much later than that date.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 16, 2009, 11:59:56 am »
I assume the fate of most everything else post-merge: Unknown.

As do I, but I figured they may have developed a theory for it as well as the Grandleon.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 16, 2009, 12:05:48 pm »
Maybe...

Since it is, then they would stay as Mastermune in the ideal time line, and would be with Serge as he wakes up on the beach. There, question solved.

If it was used by Serge for the final battle, then why not?

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 16, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »
And, also, what exactly was Dalton's "rank"? Are we ever told he's a military general of some kind? Or is he just the Queen's lapdog that he appears to be?

Well, if you read the encyclopedia of the site you moderate to a ridiculous amount you would already know. But I suppose I will look it up for you.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Dalton.html

He was a military leader, and come on no one would actually use "WHAT'S THAT!?" to trick someone, so it was totally unexpected and a perfect example. Also Dalton is experienced in machinery. He builds the Ocean Palace and the Black Bird. But it's not like it matters he didn't need to build weaponry, he is strong enough.

Dalton did not build the Ocean Palace or the Blackbird. The Blackbird is referred to in Zeal as 'Belthasar's masterpiece'. The Ocean Palace is attributed to Belthasar as well.

Dalton may or may not have earned his position from a military standpoint, but there is no basis from the games to believe he had any mechanical skills. The only point that could be brought up is when he had his minions modify the epoch, but at least to me in game it seemed obvious he was just observing his henchmen doing the work.

What are you talking about? They were nothing but hands on deck. The Compendium says he built them. I'm going off them, if you don't agree wait till after Zeality finished the encyclopedia re-write. And if it says the same thing bring it up with him.

Game Information
Chrono Trigger

Full Name: Sir Dalton
Species: Human
Home Time: 12000 B.C.
Home Area: Zeal

Dalton is the ambitious and egotistical antagonist of the world of Zeal. He is the commander of Zeal's security forces (known as the Dalton Corps) and is an aide to Queen Zeal. The name "Dalton Corps" was omitted from the English translation of the game. He is a ruthless and maniacal foe who craves power and has little regard for human life. Like Kefka in Final Fantasy 6 (although not quite as crazy), Dalton delights in taunting and torturing his enemies, and gets involved in comical situations in which he's usually the butt of the joke. While the exact details of his rise to power are unknown, he is a cruel commander to his underlings, ridiculing them and undercompensating them for service. Queen Zeal placed Dalton in charge of the Ocean Palace's construction after Belthasar's disappearance in the Keystone Timelines; he used slave labor from the Earthbound ones. The Prophet later edged him out of this position, placing him in a typically bad mood. He soon diverted his attention to the Blackbird, as he was now in charge of its security. His second encounter with Crono came in Zeal Palace, where he first demonstrated his close ties to a group of Golems whom he summoned to fight his battles for him (he is a magic innate, despite not wanting to soil his hands in battle himself).

He later met the party again in Algetty, where he kidnapped Schala after the party rescued Melchior from Mt. Woe. He took her to the Ocean Palace (where he was to serve guard duty), threatening to kill her if the party pursued. Soon feeling Lavos's energy, he decided to flee the palace for fear of his life (in the Lavos Timeline, he presumably stayed behind and perished in the Ocean Palace Incident). After the Fall of Zeal, he arrived in the Blackbird and declared himself king of Last Village and the other survivors. He confronted the party, underhandedly distracting them by yelling "what's that?!" before knocking them out. He then kidnapped the heroes of time, who had to break out of the airplane unassisted. While they escaped, Dalton interred the Epoch and commissioned the building of wings and lasers, giving it the title of his airthrone -- the Aero-Dalton Imperial. Ownership was returned to the party after he accidentally fell into a portal he was using to summon Golems while riding the machine.

Not on to my opinions. From a military basis during the time of Zeal Dalton was a marvel. His golems are bosslevel in the game, which would rip any normal Zealian citizen apart. The energy balls he cast were enough to knock the party and Melchior back, which I assume means they were quite potent. From these facts we can decide his aid, as well as knowledge of Zealian Magics, very well helped the Porre War Machine.

I seriously doubt that could be the only reason. Zeal is an intelligent kingdom. They only had a queen who was drunk with power. Another point where did those golems come from. Who says that a mage can't defeat them. They were quite easy to me. As long as you used lightning on them both they don't hurt all that bad.

The issue I, as well as other people, have with Dalton that those who support him seem to be unable to fathom is his personality. He is very overconfident, self-involved, and constantly underestimates his enemies. In the end he fell through one of his own golem portals, which seemed rather dimwitted. He just honestly does not seem like a good leader. And the things his minions said about him seem to corroborate these facts.

Completely unimportant. You seem think that his personality is the most important thing. Determination is a powerful feeling. He DESPISES the Chrono Team! Your saying that his buffoonery is so ridiculous that he couldn't win. I think that is a total underestimation. And remember Kato always does what you least expect.

Oh, and military is security, not just striking other countries. Or at least in the U.S.A. it's not defined as just striking other countries.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 16, 2009, 05:28:09 pm »
Actually, being in charge of the construction doesn't mean he was part of it. It even says so, he used the Earthbound as slaves. They were the ones who were building it.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 16, 2009, 06:05:49 pm »
Oh, so he has to physically construct it? I was referring to his development of it. I'm also sure that he wouldn't perfectly fallow Belthazar's plans. He is that pompous.

But I'm falling off my original theory. He didn't need to build anything. Porre was strong enough on it's own. He just gave them a motive.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:09:13 pm by ZealKnight »