Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 141318 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2009, 07:51:37 pm »
Back to actual discussion, what does it matter what type of weapon Dalton had. Remember he has Golems also (which we still know very little about, he may be out or he may create them), I doubt any Gaurdrian solider could even strike a Golem...

I'm fairly sure that Crono & Co. already killed them all, though...>_>

The only reason they won is because Dalton is actually a strong, powerful, and strategic military leader.

Prove it. I'll give you that he eventually got strong & powerful during his time in the Vortex, but strategic...?? I don't see any evidence of that.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2009, 09:23:49 pm »
Oh, come on, Trans, he didn't earn his position in Zeal for a talent he didn't have. You would need strategy as well as power and strength to win a battle. If his strategic skills were poor, on the other hand, perhaps he refined them while in Porre prior to the Fall of Guardia.

The only reason he kept losing was the fact that his opponents were tougher. Maybe stealing the Grandleon was the edge he needed to finally best them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:25:25 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2009, 09:28:09 pm »
Oh, come on, Trans, he didn't earn his position in Zeal for a talent he didn't have. You would need strategy as well as power and strength to win a battle.

A battle against who? It wouldn't take much strategy at all to win a battle against the Earthbound when you have godlike technology.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:36 pm »
Yeah, that's basically what I figured. Zeal is a heavily power-based kingdom. The Golems were powerful, after all...His only show of "strategy" was, what? "Hey! Look over there!"...>_>

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2009, 10:23:55 pm »
Well it was his idea to add wings to the Epoch.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:08 pm »
The way I see it, he just put the finishing touches on it. And regardless, it doesn't seem like a big leap and certainly not an example of an underlying strategic mind.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »
How do we know Belthasar was designing wings for the Epoch? We know he completed it before he died, and it didn't have wings.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:33 pm »
I just sort of figure the name implied wings...Plus, he also made the Blackbird...*shrugs*

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 12, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »
True, but I doubt he intended it to fly, though the fact that it was modified to do so was pretty damn convenient.

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »
I feel like they didn't flesh out certain background histories enough for Dalton and the Epoch. Because it is really convenient that Dalton could add wings to the Epoch to make it capable of flight. The same goes for how Dalton was able to convince Porre into attacking Guardia and how he was able to succeed. This is really amusing since even with the new content it raises more questions than it answers.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2009, 11:38:02 pm »
I think there was evidence that Porre was already going towards becoming a military state...I think Dalton was more just the nudge they needed to gain the confidence to overthrow Guardia.

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 13, 2009, 12:00:27 am »
I think there was evidence that Porre was already going towards becoming a military state...I think Dalton was more just the nudge they needed to gain the confidence to overthrow Guardia.

I assume you are talking about the Porrean Beret, am I correct? Because that is the only thing that comes to mind when I think about it.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 13, 2009, 12:07:28 am »
Chrono Trigger DS established Dalton as a man out of time. So who knows what he's been up to since then or for how long. His knowledge of magic, technology, and military strategy could have vastly increased during his travels through time. Sure he could still be the bumbling power hungry buffoon, or he could be a demi-god. Who knows how much experience he gained since his "downfall" in Zeal.

I personally see him as some mastermind (albeit a still somewhat buffoonish mastermind) behind the scenes trying to ochestrate events through time for his benefit. He already knows more than he should. How does he know Crono and co are from Guardia? How does he know what Guardia is? How does he know about Porre? How does he know Porre has the potential to become a military power? I see him traveling across time behind the scenes, gaining the knowledge and advantage he needs to gain revenge and power.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #508 on: January 13, 2009, 12:18:13 am »
I can't help thinking of him as the idiot he was portrayed to be in Chrono Trigger. The whole getting owned and having a link to Back to the Future did that for me. So sadly, I will never be able to think of him as somebody smart, just like after I originally saw Lavos's mouth to be his eye, I always see it as an eye now.

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20:41 am »
I can't help thinking of him as the idiot he was portrayed to be in Chrono Trigger.

Yeah but Goofy Idiot and Awesome Butt Kicker aren't two totally different things, Look at Sokka from Avatar.