Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 141303 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #330 on: December 11, 2008, 12:34:55 pm »
Yeah, Magil in RD is more like Magus, but there's still something odd.

He knew Riddel before, because of his strange reaction when he sees her portrait. Although their relationship is only metioned in certain scenario, but in the main story line, he still acts strange when seeing the portrait and the way he talks to Riddel proves he knows her somehow.
If you asked the mirror about Magil's past, you will know he and Riddel are probably know each other when they are very yong, I know that's optional, but you call invoke this in the main story line. Or maybe that little girl is not young Riddel,  in the main story line... but that gives us a feeling Magil lives in that era since his childhood, unless you believe the scene reflected by the mirror is somewhere in Kingdom Zeal.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 11, 2008, 12:40:40 pm »
Unless the original Japanese version worked differently, I think you can only see that scene in the mirror in "Magil: Caught Between Love and Adventure. In the main scenario, the mirror shows blackness instead.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:57 pm »
Ah, you're right. I misremembered...

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:01 pm »
If I read one more overly-complicated, hair-brained concoction of a theory about Eclipse Magus or Guile i'm going to throw up. I don't understand why people want to complicate things more than they have to be.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:24 pm »
If I read one more overly-complicated, hair-brained concoction of a theory about Eclipse Magus or Guile i'm going to throw up. I don't understand why people want to complicate things more than they have to be.

I hear ya.  But what can we do?  I guess you could say... it's all already a bridge over troubled water. GUFFAH!

Lilka

• Earthbound (+15)
  • [Devotion] Eternal Youth in Living Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:03 pm »
Does going/being sent to the DBT even count as time travel according to Chronoverse temporal physics?  This is something that really needs clarification if we're to finally decide between "lol memory wipe" and "lol didn't happen."  I really don't like either theory, but if I tried to make my own I'm sure it would be well and truly wrong.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2008, 02:12:36 am »
Does going/being sent to the DBT even count as time travel according to Chronoverse temporal physics?  This is something that really needs clarification if we're to finally decide between "lol memory wipe" and "lol didn't happen."  I really don't like either theory, but if I tried to make my own I'm sure it would be well and truly wrong.
Being sent to the DBT counts as being wiped from existance. (Only if you get there by way of a change being made to the past. Lavos and Schala got sucked into there under different circumstances.) No need to travel to any point in time, you simply cease to be.

Lilka

• Earthbound (+15)
  • [Devotion] Eternal Youth in Living Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2008, 03:47:58 am »
...that really doesn't help.  I was thinking more of the CTDS Magus/CC Serge & co. type of scenario.  They went to the Darkness of their own will, and didn't have to get erased from history to do it.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:53 am »
Lavos and Schala got sucked into there under different circumstances.) No need to travel to any point in time, you simply cease to be.

what was lavos' special circumstance?  I am under the belief that the Lavos part of the TD is a spawn from the ruined future.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 12, 2008, 08:39:34 am »
Lavos' special circumstance was being defeated in the past. According to the timeline the Compendium has made, he was defeated in the Antiquity period. The Lavos that was sent to the Darkness Of Time (I use that name for it as it was what it was called in CC) was the Lavos that was seen in the 1999 AD video.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 12, 2008, 11:51:23 pm »
Magil only had a relationship with Riddel in one gag scenario. Kid assumed the photo in Lynx's desk was Riddel, but she hadn't seen her yet, and it's later hinted that the picture was actually of Schala (Serge thinks Schala in Magil's past shown by the mirror looks similar, and in RD, Viper Manor was built on Zeal ruins).

...Must remember to ask utunnels to look those parts up in the Japanese to see if that's right.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 13, 2008, 12:22:10 am »
Serge only sees Magil's past in "Magil: Caught Between Love and Adventure".
Otherwise you get:
"Very well."
The reflection of the statue begins to ripple a little. Gradually, the mirror
fades into darkness.
However, after a minute or two, nothing materializes...
What could this mean?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 13, 2008, 10:14:40 pm »
Really? Could have sworn I saw the other description the first time I played through, but my emulator's not working well enough to check...

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 13, 2008, 11:53:05 pm »
Quote from: Vehek
Serge only sees Magil's past in "Magil: Caught Between Love and Adventure".
Yeah, that might because I read the script too much so I get confused.
I checked it again, yes. So Kato can't make such an obviously mistake I guess...

Magil only had a relationship with Riddel in one gag scenario. Kid assumed the photo in Lynx's desk was Riddel, but she hadn't seen her yet, and it's later hinted that the picture was actually of Schala (Serge thinks Schala in Magil's past shown by the mirror looks similar, and in RD, Viper Manor was built on Zeal ruins).

...Must remember to ask utunnels to look those parts up in the Japanese to see if that's right.

Kid assumes it is Riddel's photo, yes, but since Lynx adopted Riddel is widely known in that Region, it's not strange.
And Magil really doesn't have any special speech in the main story line.

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 14, 2008, 12:10:37 am »
Does going/being sent to the DBT even count as time travel according to Chronoverse temporal physics?  This is something that really needs clarification if we're to finally decide between "lol memory wipe" and "lol didn't happen."
I always considered dbt to be a where rather than a when, but Serge & Co make it there by time egg, so maybe a little time & dimension travel?