Author Topic: Should I play FF7?  (Read 22417 times)

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2005, 07:52:53 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
I used the Imp combo. You send an Imp in to battle, who can only attack, with the offering and genji glove attached, and all the Imp armor and weapon.

I considered sending in Umaro too, though I never followed through.  I figured he'd probably work well since all he can do is attack as well.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2005, 09:31:49 pm »
I think I used Cyan...

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2005, 08:56:36 pm »
I just got an idea.  For FFXIII, they should just go all out and make it take place in Star Wars.  Let's face it, they've been going that direction ever since VI, at least.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2005, 11:56:21 pm »
Hey, FF7 was really good!

Zeality, how far have you gotten in FF7 now?  Beaten it?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2005, 12:04:47 am »
Yes. I'm going to buy AC once it comes out over here.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2005, 12:06:13 am »
What did you think of the game overall?  How did it compare to CT and CC?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2005, 02:58:36 am »
My friends uncle lives in Japan, and he got him AC! He is gonna burn it for me to!! But he told me its only good for the action, storyline wise it sucks...!

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2005, 03:49:46 am »
I heard the storyline is a bit weak, but once you think about it for a while you're like "WOW".

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2005, 08:23:06 am »
Yeah, but the ff7 story was very good. with all these new add ons like dirge of cerebus, before crisis and crisis core, and ac, what will become of this commodity? Will squeenix attack ff8 and 9 next (x has already been attacked by :gasp: x2) If they do, and then we see ff8: ultimecia returns, or ff9: kujas story, or ff8: zell kicks some guy in the balls, or ff9: a new struggle, featuing garnet and zidane, as a married couple fighting evil with cool, revealing costumes and laser guns ala star wars (only hadriel would like that), then be sure that i WILL raise hell. square enix hq will mysteriously be blown up by a giant fire. now you know how jumbo cactaur felt when you used firaga on him. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :smack: ow

Hadriel

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2005, 01:14:53 pm »
What do you mean only I would like that?  Bazillions of people would buy that for the explosions and Garnet boobies.  He would no longer be Zidane Tribal the helper; he'd be Zidane the Pirate Bastard who runs a website trashing hippies and old people in his spare time.  Muahahahahahaha...

The storyline in AC is a bit hard to understand at first; you do have to think about it a bit.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2005, 02:06:43 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
.... If they do, and then we see ff8: ultimecia returns, ...

Final Fantasy VIII-2:  Rise Of Ultimecia.  Hell yeah, I'd pre-order it right now if it existed.  At long last, the story of how Rinoa (or her decedent) became Sorceress Ultimecia will be explained.  

Though I wonder what the point would be, since we already knows how it would end.  Then again, the end of ‘Ocarina of Time’ and 'Lufia 2' had already been revealed by ‘A Link To the Past’ and ‘Lufia 1’ respectively, so I guess Square should be able to pull it off with the same amount of success.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2005, 03:29:30 pm »
I saw AC at a screening at AWA last weekend.  The story didn't seem bad, but the fights in it were awesome.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2005, 05:28:42 pm »
Altogether, it was a great game and a rich experience. Cloud Strife already was a bit of an underdog who amazingly remained resilient and collected throughout the adventure, but when it was revealed that he had fabricated his tenure in SOLDIER and other facets of his history, I liked him even more. It put him in the category of an unconfident imitator, and he dreamt it all up just to not feel inferior around Tifa. Cloud's basically a good person, and his own personal evolution and coming to terms was well documented. I also like how the love triangle was tastefully handled; love is suggested between Cloud and Aeris often, but never do they consummate it. All the while, Tifa continues to lend herself to Cloud, but he remains merely offish and aloof (especially after Aeris dies). We're left wondering if Aeris's death significantly damaged Cloud inside, and whether he still has his loyalties to her and not Tifa (quite yet). Without ever speaking it, FF7 tells the story of this muffled, restrained pain inside all their hearts. I was able to really connect to the game after each event due to the great appeal to humanity. Barret outlandish behavior is explained as the result of distress over the Corel disaster, and this reinforced his character. Yuffie, the proud girl, is explained as coming from a village that has completely lost its honor. Cait Sith turns out to be a Shinra executive himself, though a good one, and Red XIII is revealed to be a relative teenager, a contrast from initial display as a wise warrior. Above all else, Cid and Vincent live in a world of crushed dreams, but live nonetheless; Cid is every bit as determined and rough as he was before the rocket was cancelled, and Vincent, revealed as allowing a tragedy to occur feeling he cannot atone for it in any way, starts to forgive himself and open up.

Thus, no one is who he or she truly seems, but in the end, they are -- if that makes sense. Each character comes off as a great or formidable person in the beginning, but some aspect of their history or an event places their weaknesses in plain view. This really allows them to shine, and increases believability by amazing amounts. The fact that these heroes suffer from their own mistakes and pitfalls daily, and were all at one time very weak or failed at their dreams, but continue to live with extreme veracity makes them true, believable heroes. It's so easy and engaging to connect with them, because they're so appealing; each has his or her own demons to wrestle with, and though their flaws make them look weak, their resistance and undying perseverance and evolution seals them as true fighters in life. I'm failing at saying what I want to here, but...it's amazing how real they all are. The inspiration is incredible.

My main complaint is that the character of Sephiroth was given the shaft by not receiving any lines during the entire end of the game. He could have spoke volumes, knowing all the weaknesses of the party, and could have deepened the plot with a stunning revelation or two that only increases the party's motivation against him. Instead, he merely gets right down to fighting, blowing this opportunity. In addition, you almost can't have the main boss become some quasi-philosopher demi-god with his own themesong replete with a score including church organ and terrifyin gLatin hymns without at least SOME lines asserting his superiority over the others. I really wish Sephiroth would have grown more, and it feels like someone just forgot to write some lines for him.

Oh, and for that quasi-philosopher demi-god with his own hymns and reverie:

I absolutely love that cliche in RPGs. Suddenly, the end boss is this Classical monstrosity who seems like he knows something you don't, and taunts you at every turn as if it were all delightful fancy.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2005, 10:37:19 pm »
Ummm, i meant Ultimecia returns, not rise of ultimecia. Ultimecia returns would be her being reborn, and fighting skeletons and SeeD (altered beast, anyone?)

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2005, 10:48:17 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Altogether, it was a great game and a rich experience. Cloud Strife already was a bit of an underdog who amazingly remained resilient and collected throughout the adventure, but when it was revealed that he had fabricated his tenure in SOLDIER and other facets of his history, I liked him even more. It put him in the category of an unconfident imitator, and he dreamt it all up just to not feel inferior around Tifa. Cloud's basically a good person, and his own personal evolution and coming to terms was well documented. I also like how the love triangle was tastefully handled; love is suggested between Cloud and Aeris often, but never do they consummate it. All the while, Tifa continues to lend herself to Cloud, but he remains merely offish and aloof (especially after Aeris dies). We're left wondering if Aeris's death significantly damaged Cloud inside, and whether he still has his loyalties to her and not Tifa (quite yet). Without ever speaking it, FF7 tells the story of this muffled, restrained pain inside all their hearts. I was able to really connect to the game after each event due to the great appeal to humanity. Barret outlandish behavior is explained as the result of distress over the Corel disaster, and this reinforced his character. Yuffie, the proud girl, is explained as coming from a village that has completely lost its honor. Cait Sith turns out to be a Shinra executive himself, though a good one, and Red XIII is revealed to be a relative teenager, a contrast from initial display as a wise warrior. Above all else, Cid and Vincent live in a world of crushed dreams, but live nonetheless; Cid is every bit as determined and rough as he was before the rocket was cancelled, and Vincent, revealed as allowing a tragedy to occur feeling he cannot atone for it in any way, starts to forgive himself and open up.

Thus, no one is who he or she truly seems, but in the end, they are -- if that makes sense. Each character comes off as a great or formidable person in the beginning, but some aspect of their history or an event places their weaknesses in plain view. This really allows them to shine, and increases believability by amazing amounts. The fact that these heroes suffer from their own mistakes and pitfalls daily, and were all at one time very weak or failed at their dreams, but continue to live with extreme veracity makes them true, believable heroes. It's so easy and engaging to connect with them, because they're so appealing; each has his or her own demons to wrestle with, and though their flaws make them look weak, their resistance and undying perseverance and evolution seals them as true fighters in life. I'm failing at saying what I want to here, but...it's amazing how real they all are. The inspiration is incredible.

My main complaint is that the character of Sephiroth was given the shaft by not receiving any lines during the entire end of the game. He could have spoke volumes, knowing all the weaknesses of the party, and could have deepened the plot with a stunning revelation or two that only increases the party's motivation against him. Instead, he merely gets right down to fighting, blowing this opportunity. In addition, you almost can't have the main boss become some quasi-philosopher demi-god with his own themesong replete with a score including church organ and terrifyin gLatin hymns without at least SOME lines asserting his superiority over the others. I really wish Sephiroth would have grown more, and it feels like someone just forgot to write some lines for him.

Oh, and for that quasi-philosopher demi-god with his own hymns and reverie:

I absolutely love that cliche in RPGs. Suddenly, the end boss is this Classical monstrosity who seems like he knows something you don't, and taunts you at every turn as if it were all delightful fancy.

pretty much the way I feel about ff7 XD