Author Topic: Another ol' Lavos Theory  (Read 13078 times)

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
What's more intresting is the Ocean Palace disaster, actually. Destruction rained from the heavens, and yet the world survived... I'd wager that it's due to Lavos not gaining enough power...

You cant really blame him, after all, he just had an interstellar, maybe even interglactic trip in order to get here. He must have had some form of propulsion. Hence, the low energy.

Actually, considering the vastness of space, you would have to be incredibly lucky to just come across a planet (with sufficient energy) and divert course to converge with it.
I retain the belief that lavos' race is highly intelligent and advanced:
They would have had to scout out a suitable inhabitance using high powered telescopes or radioscopes or magiscopes or whatever, then using advaced mathematical ability, calculate the course to get there (including how much fuel, food, etc.) not only which straight direction, but maybe using gravity to slingshot thier space vehicle or maybe even wormholes, and then land on the planet accurately.

The way he came to the planet is indicative of an advanced lifeform with sentience and a well defined and developed culture and technology.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 06:01:21 pm »
Yes... Space is mainly a void... however he could track energy down as a natural sense... it may not be a technological thing... we have no idea the acuteness of his senses..

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 10:55:28 pm »
What's more intresting is the Ocean Palace disaster, actually. Destruction rained from the heavens, and yet the world survived... I'd wager that it's due to Lavos not gaining enough power....

Lavos was only aiming at Zeal.  It didn't want to ruin the entire planet at that point.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 01:45:07 am »
I'd find it hard to aim a blow that big. But yeah, I guess you're right.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 08:39:35 pm »
Lavos can do anything :P Just like Chuck Norris.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 11:55:15 pm »
I'd find it hard to aim a blow that big. But yeah, I guess you're right.

It'd be hard to aim, but Lavos' rains are being aimed up. And guess what? Zeal is right above Lavos and the world anyway.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 01:19:18 am »
Assuming how Zeal is two cities and a Palace, I'd like to think it's not above the entire world, but assuming how the beam from Zeal Palace seems to lead directly down to the Ocean Palace, you're right this time.

But here's another point: Lavos shot his rain, and in effect saved mankind from the Ice Age he himself created... Wonder if he did it willingly.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 01:48:27 am »
Frankly I don't think Lavos cares what mankind is doing. It's just absorbing their DNA and hibernating somewhere while mankind lives. Then it rises, creates its spawn (which also destroys almost everything living on the planet, whether by purpose or consequence, who's to say). The only times it absolutely antagonizes humankind is when Zeal overdoes the blood-sucking, and when Crono and co try to kill it. Seems to be more defensive than evil.

Though when merged with Schala it's quite a fucked-up evil power-time-space hungry fiend. Unless it's NOT sentient, which is Josh's belief, and it's just kinda doing things without control. But...

...now I'm confused o_O

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 04:14:21 am »
Two points.

If Lavos is Sentient: Why would he bother to destroy the Kingdom where i'd deem 3/4 of the world's population live? Thats just plain stupidity on his part, because Lavos needs mankind I think. But hell i may be wrong om that assumption.

If Lavos isn't Sentient: Then he obviously destroyed Zeal without heed to the fact that he needs mankind (this is based off the above asumption). He probably only aimed at Zeal because some sort of instinct told him too perhaps? He only awoke because he was disturbed by Queen Zeal.

NOTE: Once again I remain neutral.  :D  I find it helps increase my knowledge and not get attacked as often.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 08:32:04 am »
Maybe Lavos expected them to survive, so any survivers would actually add more DNA and genes to him with their survival.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that it could not just have been the over doing of the Mammon Machine that woke him. Maybe it was prepairing it for the Black Omen to rise, so Zeal had to go down as Queen Zeal did not need it. In turn, making Schala feel guilty, and this could have started the whole "half wanted to save the world, while the other wanted to destroy it". In fact, it could be Schala's sadness that is turning Lavos into the TD, and no the opposite way around. If Lavos is indeed doing it to Schala, then that proves he's sentient.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 09:58:00 am »
Quote from: Lordchander
Two points.

If Lavos is Sentient: Why would he bother to destroy the Kingdom where i'd deem 3/4 of the world's population live? Thats just plain stupidity on his part, because Lavos needs mankind I think. But hell i may be wrong om that assumption.

If Lavos isn't Sentient: Then he obviously destroyed Zeal without heed to the fact that he needs mankind (this is based off the above asumption). He probably only aimed at Zeal because some sort of instinct told him too perhaps? He only awoke because he was disturbed by Queen Zeal.

NOTE: Once again I remain neutral. Very Happy I find it helps increase my knowledge and not get attacked as often.

I believe that lavos would do entirely the opposite. He would attack that place, precisely because most of the world's population lived there.
Taking into account the quote by Mother brain, that says that the planet could sustain the children of lavos if the humans werent here, we can assume that lavos is just trying to give his spawn the best start they can have, by eliminating the competition.

Also: What have humankind ever done for lavos?

A) Competed with lavos, not allowing his children to prosper.

B) Sucked energy out of lavos, promting im to wake up and have to take action.

C) Killed his spawn.

D) Eventually killed him.

Lavos doesnt need humans, in exactly the same way that humans dont need lavos: THey would both be better off without eachother.

The point that he was disturbed by Queen Zeal simply adds to my argument, showing that humans ahve done nothing for lavos other than hinder him. Instead of putting energy into spawning his young, he was forced to waste it on attacking Zeal.

Well done, lordchander, you have successfully taken yoruself out of the realm of neutrality and into the warzone we know as argument.
i hope you are happy.
Have a nice day. :)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 02:18:44 pm »
Quote from: Tonjevic
Two points.

NOTE: Once again I remain neutral. Very Happy I find it helps increase my knowledge and not get attacked as often.

I believe that lavos would do entirely the opposite. He would attack that place, precisely because most of the world's population lived there.
Taking into account the quote by Mother brain, that says that the planet could sustain the children of lavos if the humans werent here, we can assume that lavos is just trying to give his spawn the best start they can have, by eliminating the competition.

C) Killed his spawn.

Lavos doesnt need humans, in exactly the same way that humans dont need lavos: THey would both be better off without eachother.

The point that he was disturbed by Queen Zeal simply adds to my argument, showing that humans ahve done nothing for lavos other than hinder him. Instead of putting energy into spawning his young, he was forced to waste it on attacking Zeal.

Well done, lordchander, you have successfully taken yoruself out of the realm of neutrality and into the warzone we know as argument.
i hope you are happy.

Minus the fact that Lavos needs the humans DNA so that it can evolve into the ultimate being on the planet. Without that DNA I doubt that the core can even function correctly. It also leads me to assume that the core is not made until much later with regards to the initial landing.

I see Lavos's attack on Zeal as a precautionary measure to prevent the humans from getting too powerful. Lavos knows that the magic it gave them made them tons more powerful, and once they figured out how to manipulate that magic into energy they were wasting the energy that Lavos needed to reproduce. Thus Lavos destryos Zeal, killing off almost all magic wielding humans and preventing them from using more of its energy in the process.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 08:58:30 pm »
Quote from: Tonjevic
Two points.

C) Killed his spawn.

i hope you are happy.

Lavos is a parasite... sucks the energy of the planet and the lifeforms' DNA. People try to eliminate parasites, and parasites do not enjoy it, but if the human dies well the parasite is kind of screwed.  You know, no more energy source for survival.  Humans are the planet's immunity system against this massive parasite (very incomptent ones when you look at what happened to Zeal), but nonetheless they eventually rid the planet of this disease.  Humans do not need Lavos, but Lavos needs an advanced lifeform, humans.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 10:40:25 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Minus the fact that Lavos needs the humans DNA so that it can evolve into the ultimate being on the planet. Without that DNA I doubt that the core can even function correctly. It also leads me to assume that the core is not made until much later with regards to the initial landing.

I see Lavos's attack on Zeal as a precautionary measure to prevent the humans from getting too powerful. Lavos knows that the magic it gave them made them tons more powerful, and once they figured out how to manipulate that magic into energy they were wasting the energy that Lavos needed to reproduce. Thus Lavos destryos Zeal, killing off almost all magic wielding humans and preventing them from using more of its energy in the process.

What do you base that upon? I believe that if Lavos survived an immeasurable journey across the vacuum of space, he can survive on a lush planet, abundant in resources. It's like introducing a predator into an ecosystem that has no natural defense against it, and even if he HAD killed off all humans, he would have still absorbed the useful DNA of the creatures in 65,000,000 B.C. He probably would have launched an attack on the rest of humanity, but a planetwide assault on all sentient life would, I believe, be beyond him.

Quote from: ChronoMagus
Lavos is a parasite... sucks the energy of the planet and the lifeforms' DNA. People try to eliminate parasites, and parasites do not enjoy it, but if the human dies well the parasite is kind of screwed. You know, no more energy source for survival. Humans are the planet's immunity system against this massive parasite (very incomptent ones when you look at what happened to Zeal), but nonetheless they eventually rid the planet of this disease. Humans do not need Lavos, but Lavos needs an advanced lifeform, humans.

Lavos is a parasite on the planet, not on humans; humans are in direct competition with lavos. In response to the point about humans being the planet's defense against invasion, I say this:
Humans may very well have evolved as a defense, if an inept one, and that is fine, but in the end it is irrelevant that they are. Lavos would attack them because of that standing, but more so because they are direct competition. when you look at it in this way, you are furthering my point that lavos WOULD destroy humanity, if given the chance. If I were lavos, I wouldnt worry about humans being there for any other reason other than competition, because the chance of them infilcting any hurt upon me would be so infinitesmally small as to be unnoticed. In the end, this was his downfall, but it was a string of unlikely co-incedences sixty-five million years long that lead to Lavos' destruction.
Lavos doesnt need humans any more than humans need him.
Lavos WANTS humans to suck the DNA from, but it isnt necessary. If he can survive crashing into the planet at more than terminal velocity, and the trip across vacuum and whatever other difficulties he faced whereever he came from, I believe he can survive the planet. Humans arent a factor for survival, for lavos.
You might say that he needs them to evolve the proper equipment to survive the atmosphere and environment of the planet, but he could get that from an ant, or a rabbit, just as well as he could from a human.

I appologise for my stilted rebuttal, but Im not feeling 100% today, and I cant think.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006, 11:21:08 pm »
Lavos destroyed the Kingdom of Zeal because the Mammon Machine drained too much of its energy.  Magic using humans turned out to be a threat, or at least an annoyance to Lavos, so it eliminated them.

Humans, along with all other living things on the planet, were produce for Lavos.  While Lavos's survival probably did not depend on the existence of humans, the DNA it gathered furthered its evolution.  Lavos would exploit the resources of the planet to the greatest possible extent, so long as Lavos's genetic manipulation would not pose a danger to it.