Author Topic: Another ol' Lavos Theory  (Read 13002 times)

Paradox

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 01:07:31 am »
He said 2400. You're talking about 2300. There's a different.

And also, Paradox, in order for your theory of the Planet not dying to work, you're going to have to believe in Spontanious Generation, the theory of life rising off inorganic material. This was a theory from back in the Salem Witch Trials. You're not a witch burner, are you? Because your theory doesn't work :D Witch.

Okay okay okay. I realize my theory has already been beaten to a bloody pulp and shunned for some other argument/topic, but for the sake of not looking like a complete fool I'll defend myself once more. Like my theory or not, I'm going to voice it.

I’m a big supporter of the whole catastrophism idea. A series of unfathomably destructive and even violent geological or biological (disease, climate change, ect.) events leading to the end of various prominent species and the gradual growth of new from the remnants of what was. Well, that’s the shortened version of it, don't jump on me about the details.
Either way, I just believe Lavos is a creature of natural destiny. An element of disaster that exists to end the growth of the dominant species and allow the world to begin once more from the remains. Much like (okay, not really, but it's hard to connect in an understandable comparison in our own planets history) the comet that killed the dinosaurs, or the climate change or whatever we believe ended the age when those colossal reptiles dominated our little blue and green ball.

What fuels my theory is that, if not for Crono's journey then undoubtedly all life on the planet would have ended EXCEPT, for as we see in the two plants we see sprout, the most basic forms of life. I still hold to my idea that Lavos only needed, and only took the planets energy to have enough fuel to keep his species a'goin. Once this was complete his "spawns" would venture off and find their own planets to leech off of, and Lavos would simply die. So what are we left with? An empty planet with little energy, the remnants of the creature that caused this devastation, and the most simple forms of life. There is life, there is energy (that I believe can eventually rekindle) and there’s the DNA of what once was in the remains of Lavos. From this new life, working with the base genetic knowledge leeched by everyone’s favorite planetary parasite, new life spawns and thrives in it's own unique fashion. New history begins.

I realize my theory doesn’t work in a lot of your minds. Right now I’m openly calling my theory invalid and unorthodox, due to the overly debated nature of Lavos and how this seems to defy probably the most prominent and widely accepted CT theory out there on the compendium, this post was just an attempt to explain myself. I promise not to post another message on any of my theories ever again if I get the same level of negativity and dismissive posts I did when first throwing this out there.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 04:27:49 am »
Paradox, I don't disagree with your theory by any means. In fact, I'm inclined to agree with you. Kinda combine yours and Grays last posts. Lavos didn't need the humans, but wasn't gonna completely destroy them until they no longer had any use, DNA-collecting-wise and all.

I'm still debating whether I believe Lavos is sentient or not.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 08:31:27 pm »
The problem is that two plants can't repopulate the entire planet. Especially not with animals, which are another direction in the evolutionary cycle entirely. And seeing as how all water, air, and sunlight is pretty much destroyed or unusuable, those plants wouldn't last for very long anyway.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 09:27:57 pm »
Look at Death Peak... the plants there are obviously not natural, those trees are dead or artificial.  With a world under the constant darkness of Lavos and plagued by wild animals and monsters, not to mention deactivated robots that could be reactivatied, there is not much chance of life.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 01:35:51 am »
Maybe they are natural. If wood isnt subject to bacteria or any catalysts for decay, then it doesnt decay. There are churches in scandinavia built entirely out of wood that are still standing after one thousand years or more. Not much could live on death peak, between the lack of anything edible, the balsting winds and the freezing cold. I think it is unlikely, but plausible that these trees have been standing for thirteen hundred years.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2006, 12:07:50 pm »
Quote from: Tonjevic
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Minus the fact that Lavos needs the humans DNA so that it can evolve into the ultimate being on the planet. Without that DNA I doubt that the core can even function correctly. It also leads me to assume that the core is not made until much later with regards to the initial landing.

I see Lavos's attack on Zeal as a precautionary measure to prevent the humans from getting too powerful. Lavos knows that the magic it gave them made them tons more powerful, and once they figured out how to manipulate that magic into energy they were wasting the energy that Lavos needed to reproduce. Thus Lavos destryos Zeal, killing off almost all magic wielding humans and preventing them from using more of its energy in the process.

What do you base that upon? I believe that if Lavos survived an immeasurable journey across the vacuum of space, he can survive on a lush planet, abundant in resources. It's like introducing a predator into an ecosystem that has no natural defense against it, and even if he HAD killed off all humans, he would have still absorbed the useful DNA of the creatures in 65,000,000 B.C. He probably would have launched an attack on the rest of humanity, but a planetwide assault on all sentient life would, I believe, be beyond him.

You are missing the point. Lavos doesn't need DNA to literally survive. He needs it to further the growth of the planet, and allow for the most energy to be drained from it as possible.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2006, 06:16:27 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
You are missing the point. Lavos doesn't need DNA to literally survive. He needs it to further the growth of the planet, and allow for the most energy to be drained from it as possible.

Lavos actually uses the DNA to improve its own genome.  Lavos needs the energy of the planet to grow and reproduce.  The DNA Lavos collects makes it and its spawn more advanced.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 06:26:48 pm »
I think it is unlikely, but plausible that these trees have been standing for thirteen hundred years.

Except Death Peak seems to be no older than 301 years.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 07:10:35 pm »
Oh, whoops. Then it is extremely possible (thanks for the correction, btw). Some trees live for 301 years, and could, if in the right conditions, easily be dead and standing for that long. Thanks for improving my point.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2006, 01:49:10 am »
Quote from: Tonjevic
Oh, whoops. Then it is extremely possible (thanks for the correction, btw). Some trees live for 301 years, and could, if in the right conditions, easily be dead and standing for that long. Thanks for improving my point.

But trees do not grow in the middle of an abyss...  Death Peak is right by where the wonderful abyss of Lavos was... there is a lot of things pointing towards Lavos = Death Peak or Lavos helped create Death Peak, so the trees cannot be "natural"

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 07:57:31 am »
I dunno why your saying that trees can't grow in an abyss, after all Death Peak is not an abyss. Death Peak is either one of two things, it is either a mountain (means it has rocks and dirt) or it is Lavos covered with rocks and dirt (after all it's not like you run up and down thing on scales or spikes).

So regardless, if a tree stands, it grew there, and it grew in the dirt that is there.

And if the trees did not grow there, then well every other theory is quite honestly pretty rediculous. If you don't believe they are grown there, then might as well believe some extraterrestial Feng Shui master hopped on by to visit his good ol' pal lavos and wanted to spruce his back up a bit.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2006, 02:15:37 pm »
... That mock theory about the Feng Shui master just totally brightened up my day XD

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2006, 05:17:58 pm »
That Feng Shui theory makes sense... <.< >.> <.< >.<!
The point is that the trees grew after Death Peak... not before it... and that means they grew post-Lavos... and that means they grew in a world with no true sunlight...
Trees need sunlight to grow...

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2006, 08:48:47 pm »
We don't know for certain that the world instantly became dead after 1999 A.D. We really can't say one way or another (as there is no actual evidence about this). So it could have instantly become dark and dead, or it could have been more gradual giving trees a chance to sprout.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Another ol' Lavos Theory
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »
How do we know that the process of apocalypse was an instantaneous one?
It may have degenerated further and further until the we meet the people of 2300 and the plight they were in.

Presuming lavos came out of the core, or even the outer mantle, he still would have had ten kilometers of crust to break through. This would esentially meant that he WOULD be covered in dirt or, if said dirt had burnt to a cinder, volcanic ash. Both of these things are fertile (the ash amazingly so) and would facilitate the growth of trees.

For now, let us accept the gradual degeneration theory. If in the first hundred years or two hundred years, the earth was slightly hospitable (we assume it was because the people still had some food left.) trees would have grown on death peak. That is how trees miraculously got on there. Only a certain species of tree, however, was hardy and deep rooted enough to withstand the great winds after death. All the rest would died, been uprooted, and blown off the the mountain.