Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 139383 times)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #555 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »
I'm also sure that he wouldn't perfectly fallow Belthazar's plans.

Hah! You second-guessed what I was gonna say in your defense.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #556 on: January 16, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »
I am working off quotes from the game, not the compendium. The compendium is useful as a reference in a discussion like this, but quotes from the actual game hold more relevance. I also tried to separate my personal opinions (that his personality leads me to believe he would be a poor leader) from my corrections to your statement (that Dalton built the Ocean Palace and the Blackbird) in the last post though it doesn't seem like you took it in that way.

I just combed the script of the game for references to the construction of the Blackbird and the Ocean Palace. I am only posting the relevant ones (to keep the thread short) but heck if you want I'll post all the quotes that mention either.

"Indeed!
That great aeroplane «Blackbird,»
which Belthasar built.

When it soars in the sky, it looks alive!
Belthasar is truly a genius!"

...I see no mention of Dalton. At. All.

"The Earthbound Ones are being allowed
to work on the construction of the
Palace.

So they do have a purpose after all."

"Even Belthasar is gone, after designing
the Blackbird and the Ocean Palace.

How strange that the 3 Gurus who
guide Zeal have all disappeared."

"The Queen's aide, Dalton, was in charge
of the Ocean Palace, until some
traveling prophet took over.

He's in a bad mood so you should avoid
him."

I can't find any quote whatsoever in the script that says anything about Dalton doing any work on the Blackbird, and the only mention of him with the Ocean Palace is the above quote.

Now the Ocean Palace quote above can be taken a few different ways. As Dalton is in charge of the security force of Zeal, I assumed that it meant he was supervising the construction from a military standpoint, not actively participating in the construction. Your millage may vary from that quote of course. But regardless he was taken off the project

I seriously doubt that could be the only reason. Zeal is an intelligent kingdom. They only had a queen who was drunk with power. Another point where did those golems come from. Who says that a mage can't defeat them. They were quite easy to me. As long as you used lightning on them both they don't hurt all that bad.

I never once said that those were the only reasons he has his position. I was simply listing positive things about Dalton at that point, as I'm not just trying to focus on the negative. And that second part of your quote seems to be arguing against Dalton's effectiveness (or at least his golem's effectiveness). Remember Crono and crew are powerful, considerably more powerful in my estimation then the average Zealian citizen.

Completely unimportant. You seem think that his personality is the most important thing. Determination is a powerful feeling. He DESPISES the Chrono Team! Your saying that his buffoonery is so ridiculous that he couldn't win. I think that is a total underestimation. And remember Kato always does what you least expect.

Oh, and military is security, not just striking other countries. Or at least in the U.S.A. it's not defined as just striking other countries.

Before I go into what you are saying on determination, I'll clarify that I never said ANYTHING about Dalton's Security Force not being military, that was another poster. So take that up with them and don't try to attribute it to me.

A persons personality is completely unimportant? That seems to be a rather hefty statement, especially in a game where I would argue a character's personality is one of the most driving forces in the game. I would also argue that his determination is part of Dalton's personality, not a separate entity.

Determination is a powerful thing, and not once did I say 'Dalton did not aid Porre'. We are discussing his involvement and I corrected you about his constructing the Ocean Palace and Blackbird, then stated my own opinions. Dalton is a powerful combatant, I give him credit for that. Dalton's personality seems to make him seem like a poor leader, there is quite a bit of evidence in the game to that effect, and ignoring that evidence doesn't convince anyone of what he did do to aid Porre. Porre doesn't seem to make use of widespread 'true' magic use, so Dalton either only taught the highest commanders or kept it for his own use (heck is it even teachable? In Zeal it seemed more like you were born with it's use, so he might be unable to teach it). Dalton's golems would make him a powerful figure to inspire his troops (imagine Dalton yelling 'foreward!' to his troops as he summons his golems to decimate the Guardia front line).

You seem to take offense at what I was saying while missing my entire point. I was not saying his 'buffonery is so ridiculous he couldn't win'. I never said that at all. Porre overthrows Guardia. Dalton aids Porre in overthrowing Guardia. I have never argued that point. That is all we know of though, anything else is conjecture at this point, and ignoring what little we do know of Dalton (his poor personality) seems as ludicrous to me as when the pro-Guardia side ignore Dalton's powerful role in combat. If we are really to judge what role Dalton played we need to consider everything we know of him, positive or negative. We do not know what role Dalton played; whether he was their leader, their general, a manipulator from behind the scenes, a figurehead, or what. I didn't argue that he couldn't kill Crono/Marle in this thread, nor did I say he COULD for that matter.

What I said in my last post was regarding Dalton's ability to effectively lead a country, and I think I made some decent points.

Heck one last quote on the subject, from the mouth of one of his own guards.

"[Guard]
Dalton doesn't have what it takes to be
a king."

Certainly not. A inspirational figurehead possibly, a powerful combatant definitely, but a King? Not to me, but maybe to others. And that's ok, because until a new game comes out the only thing we have are a whole lot of questions and theories, and very few answers. And if we are gonna come up with some good theories we need to use everything we know of Dalton, and not just the side that supports your personal theory (and I'm directing that at both sides). We need to look at everything about the character if we are going to surmise what he did in the rise of Porre.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 16, 2009, 07:44:53 pm »
I'm not going to quote it, but I agree with everything in Zergplex's above post. In fact, it's really a perfect character study of what we know about Dalton.

While Dalton was somewhat of an important figure in the kingdom of Zeal, by no means did he have what it took to be a brilliant military leader. After the fall of Zeal he did his best to take over the scraps of the kingdom, but he failed there as well.

That being said...the Dalton we saw in the Dimensional Vortex is a man out of time. No one knows the limits to how long he has been there, and what he has been doing since. The limits to his power and knowledge at that point are unknown, but we can't ignore everything we know about the man's personality. He's still an egomaniac. He's still a bit of a buffoon. Those are his weaknesses that will probably never change. He may have new abilities and knowledge that will make him a bigger threat, but that's all speculation.

The way I see it, if a direct sequel to Chorno Trigger is ever made (which I somehow doubt), Dalton should start out as the obvious antagonist. He's been manipulating events throughout time for his advantage. (ala Biff in Back to the Future 2.) Despite this, he's still an egomaniac...and a bit of a clown. No matter how powerful he's become, I don't see him as the brilliant demi-god type. So, as I and others have mentioned before he should start out as the main antagonist, but through the course of the game we learn that his time travels have somehow caused a bigger threat. Something that threatens the balance of reality itself. This would explain how and why Dalton manipulated the events leading to the fall of Guardia, and how he got more powerful, but it wouldn't be out of character with Dalton's buffoonish personality.

Sorry for the long rant, but if Dalton's story ever does progress (which I doubt it will) this is the direction I would take it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 17, 2009, 01:53:13 am »
This is an incredibly useless discussion. Dalton precipitated the Fall of Guardia. Dalton was apparently leader of Zeal's military and knew how to use magic. The rest is just details. There is no issue of plot here. It's like when people make a fuss about Belthasar's planning Project Kid when he had a nano-age supercomputer, nano-age technology and infrastructure, magic, and engineering skill that could facilitate time travel. It's like people are upset because Kato ruined their nostalgic image of "hehe funny villain Dalton" while neglecting the fact that he was the military leader of a civilization that almost had the power to threaten Lavos, a feat that took another 15,000 years to replicate.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:58:26 am by ZeaLitY »

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 17, 2009, 02:49:00 am »
okay, forgetting Dalton lets go back to the Original Questions posed

Question 1: Is this ending canonical?

I, am gonna call yes to this the new content provides a little too much story tidbits to just be forgotten, I would guess that storyline wise the Vortexes and the eclipse of time happened just after The Defeat of Lavos, when Crono, Lucca and Marle were searching for Crono's Mom and encountered the 3 Vortexes and after exploring them went to the end of time to as The person who would know the most about temporal disturbances about these new gates.

Question 2: There are two Maguses (Magi?), one I'll call Present Magus (the one in the party) and another I'll call Future Magus. What is the origin of Future Magus? How did he make it into Time's Eclipse?

I am gonna take an odd stance of the Magi, and say the Eclipse Magus is a physical manifestation of Schala's Humanity, as she is being fused of her own will with lavos she is willingly destroying all of existance, while she is still somewhat human her subconscious created Her brother to talk her out of it, which ultimately she tells to Bugger off.

7. What the hell is the Lost Sanctum? A dream emanation from the Dream Devourer, or somehow a cause of the Black Omen? (The Black Omen's creation takes place soon after Schala meets her end and starts merging, of course, depending on how this is viewed through Time Error, since it also depends on Lavos to die, and he hasn't yet in that point of CT's story)

I am gonna say that the Lost Sanctum is the reptite dimension, but really The only Storyline Important thing I saw about it are the Pedestals you use to make the Saint stone, I think the Cross was made with those same Pedestals, its possible when The Time Crash Occurred, those were brought back with the Terra Tower

9. What's the canonicity of the Dimensional Vortex dungeons and Crono, Marle, and Lucca's fights with their inner selves? Why would those be in there for those characters and not the other ones?

Aside from them possibly comming from the DD as a way to use Crono, Marle and Lucca's inner weakness against them, I am not sure what the Vortex Dungeons are.

10. Do you know the Muffin Man?

No..but I Know the Muffin Method so I can make my own Muffins.

11. If we believe that the Dream Devourer is a pre-evolutionary form of the Time Devourer, the question remains -- how did Lavos survive to merge with her?

This is an odd question, Perhaps The CT team did not actually Kill Lavos when they assaulted him. Conceivably a highly evolved Being Such as lavos could have many redundant survival systems of which in game we only saw 3 of, Perhaps that when the 3rd form was wounded Lavos using its control over time enacted an emergency Time Jump to escape his attackers and went beyond time to escape his time traveling attackers, there is found Schala and attempted to use her DNA to restore its Cores, absorbing bits of her Personality with it as she allowed Lavos to integrate her into its Body, taking The Normally DNA collecting Lavos into Temporal Destruction Mode. 

12. Can we assume that Magus's wake-up to Schala is the moment Belthasar took advantage of when planning for Schala to be awake long enough to create Kid? (This means Crono's presence pre-Lavos is non-canonical)

Again, with this question I would like to look at it from a different perspective, what if Kid was Lavos' Creation, Since Lavos primarily acquired DNA to make a better Spawn he would likely create a new Lavoid once he got all the DNA from whatever planet he was from, and since Schala was the only DNA in the DBT the moment the pair fused he would spawn a new Lavoid, but since presumably his core functions were ripped out instead of drawing in Human DNA and creating a new Lavoid with it, Lavos recognized Schala as the primary DNA base and added components to her DNA and sent her to 1004, which was probably the path of least resistance since Schala used her powers to send Crono and Crew to 1000 AD.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #560 on: January 17, 2009, 05:51:22 am »
The only time any Crono & Co. explore the Vortexes is out of continuity (New Game+ & what comes down to Continue Game+ basically). That's not to say that what occurs within them isn't continuity (well, mostly just Dalton escaping)...They open once Lavos is defeated, I think that points to them being part of that timeline. They are part of the world where Lavos was not defeated.

I think that's what those versions of Crono, Lucca & Marle are. Versions of them from that original keystone (K-1) timeline (before the Entity stepped in). This is probably why their Techs are different, yet the same, as well.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 17, 2009, 01:18:45 pm »
Question 2: There are two Maguses (Magi?), one I'll call Present Magus (the one in the party) and another I'll call Future Magus. What is the origin of Future Magus? How did he make it into Time's Eclipse?

To call him Future Magus would contradict the dialogue. He is a Magus from an alternate-dimension, whether he's from the future or not is irrelevant.

Quote from: Eclipse Magus (English Script of CTDS)
Whether that is the future from which you have come, I do not know.

If he was from the current timeline's future, he would definitely have known.

As for how he came to Time's Eclipse, one can only guess.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:21:14 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 17, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »
This is an odd question, Perhaps The CT team did not actually Kill Lavos when they assaulted him. Conceivably a highly evolved Being Such as lavos could have many redundant survival systems of which in game we only saw 3 of, Perhaps that when the 3rd form was wounded Lavos using its control over time enacted an emergency Time Jump to escape his attackers and went beyond time to escape his time traveling attackers, there is found Schala and attempted to use her DNA to restore its Cores, absorbing bits of her Personality with it as she allowed Lavos to integrate her into its Body, taking The Normally DNA collecting Lavos into Temporal Destruction Mode.

I'd like to point out when you kill Lavos there is a shadow of a bit still moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DwnYB_4c_I&feature=related

9:05

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 17, 2009, 02:17:15 pm »
I'm pretty sure that was a graphical error resulting from the emulator that the player was using.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 17, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »
I thought that too but, why not it supports him.

ryu planeswalker

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 17, 2009, 03:10:17 pm »
As much as I would love to claim that as proof, I really can't, also to add onto my Theory for the answer to 12. if Kid was made by Lavos after Fuseing with Schala, it could be possible that it created another Spawn after it consumed the Dragon God, which means there Could another Lavoid somewhere.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #566 on: January 17, 2009, 04:25:32 pm »

To call him Future Magus would contradict the dialogue. He is a Magus from an alternate-dimension, whether he's from the future or not is irrelevant.

The Magus in your party when you see the other Magus is the one from the alternate timeline.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 17, 2009, 06:50:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure amnesia Magus is from another dimension, but the reason is because you can choose whether or not you want him in your party. You know to avoid any paradoxes. So really he would have been from the future, but because they chose to explain what I think is Magus as Guile in CT instead of CC that is the result. Which is actually more fun, because we know nothing about his dimension, perhaps this is the solution to the Astral Amulet falling into Kid's hands... or do we know that?

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 18, 2009, 04:30:04 am »
By "Astral Amulet" do you mean Schala's pendant or the actual Astral Amulet? They are two different things. The Astral Amulet was created by Lucca for Kid, and Schala's pendant was found around Kid's neck when she first appeared in Guardia forest - so presumably Schala sent it with her there.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 18, 2009, 11:34:13 am »
But then why doesn't Kid have the pendant with her in Cross? I figure she probably took her amulet back from Eclipse Magus and when she sent Kid out [Schala] gave it to [Kid]. That would explain the Zeal mark (which I doubt Lucca would remember) on the Astral Amulet.