Author Topic: Is Guile an amnesiac post-CTDS Magus?  (Read 13084 times)

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Guile an amnesiac post-CTDS Magus?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 09:59:04 pm »
So he could easily be post-dimension split, pre-dimensional repair. At the point in which the scene occurs the dimensions would have split just as the would.
No, Cross' ending nullifies the fact there ever even were two dimensions.

Serge wakes up on the beach just after he passes out at the game's start. No significant amount of time passes. The split worlds never exist in the new timeline. It has yet to be said what happens to Serge and Co. after, however Schala is definitely freed.

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »
I think that by the time that the split happened, the Dream Devourer would already had evolved to Time Devourer.

Guile faced the Time Devourer, not the Dream Devourer... I don't think that Eclipse Magus is from post-split or post-unification of dimensions, but from pre-split...

The fate of the party that faced the Dream Devourer is indeed very interesting... wait, is it really? What's more interesting is that the game doesn't make any focus on them, just on Eclipse Magus. It's very clear that they weren't interested in the party, but in Magus and Schala, who have been a mystery in the Chronoverse long before we even knew about the fall of Guardia.

Vinsecula

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 03:57:36 am »
Is it possible that perhaps Balthasar (Chronopolis Balthasar, not the crazy Nu program) prior to arriving in 1020 A.D., tried to use Magus as a "Plan A" before Project Kid to destroy the Dream Devourer before it would become the Time Devourer? Kill the basilisk before it hatches, so to speak?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2008, 04:01:56 am »
Is it possible that perhaps Balthasar (Chronopolis Balthasar, not the crazy Nu program) prior to arriving in 1020 A.D., tried to use Magus as a "Plan A" before Project Kid to destroy the Dream Devourer before it would become the Time Devourer? Kill the basilisk before it hatches, so to speak?

This is an interesting thought...

BTW, how could Magus know that Schala is at DBT anyway?

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2008, 04:30:48 pm »
My theory is that it could possibley be the Magus from the dimension that radical dreamers occured, while the
Magus from CT watched over Kid from the shadows. As shown by when the shadow occurs when they read Lucca's letter.

It couldn't have been CT Magus if you brought him with you to DBT. He would know that there would be no way he could save Schala and never had tried to reach the DBT in the future.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2008, 05:10:06 pm »
That's what I suggested, and it got shot down.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2008, 05:28:56 pm »
My theory is that it could possibley be the Magus from the dimension that radical dreamers occured, while the
Magus from CT watched over Kid from the shadows. As shown by when the shadow occurs when they read Lucca's letter.

It couldn't have been CT Magus if you brought him with you to DBT. He would know that there would be no way he could save Schala and never had tried to reach the DBT in the future.
Yes, it could be post-Trigger Magus. Go read up on how Time Bastard works.

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 06:07:01 pm »
While the time bastard is a possibility, it is a theory not stated in the game. It is somewhat implied, but there could be other possibile explinations.  Besides, I'm not suggesting that he couldn't, but that he would have no reason. Also, time bastard would further support my theory that Magus would have no reason to venture to the dbt, because
if he time travels and becomes that Magus, he would replace it's knowledge and remeber that no matter what he does, he will change nothing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:21:37 pm by mikeb123 »

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2008, 08:57:35 pm »
I would just like to point out that the argument of Magus being unable to meet his future self has one glaring flaw. The next time your playing a completed file of Chrono Trigger, take Robo back to the Middle Ages, then to the area surrounding Fiona's house, you may notice something quite peculiar.

Vinsecula

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2008, 09:50:28 pm »
I would just like to point out that the argument of Magus being unable to meet his future self has one glaring flaw. The next time your playing a completed file of Chrono Trigger, take Robo back to the Middle Ages, then to the area surrounding Fiona's house, you may notice something quite peculiar.

He's right. During the same sidequest, when Lucca goes back to save her Mom, she's in the same room with her younger self. There's no reason it wouldn't work both ways.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2008, 01:17:43 am »
While the time bastard is a possibility, it is a theory not stated in the game. It is somewhat implied, but there could be other possibile explinations.  Besides, I'm not suggesting that he couldn't, but that he would have no reason. Also, time bastard would further support my theory that Magus would have no reason to venture to the dbt, because
if he time travels and becomes that Magus, he would replace it's knowledge and remeber that no matter what he does, he will change nothing.
Time Bastard is part of the way time travel in the chronoverse works. It's not a theory, it is a rule.

Future Magus' memory would not be replaced due to Time Traveler Immunity.

Like I said, you really should go learn how TB and TTI works.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2008, 10:13:40 am »

Just noticed this.

Schala wipes the party's memories before sending them away. Thus, Magus doesn't even remember going to TE and learning that his efforts to locate Schala and, if necessary, relocate her to safety were all in vain.

As I've already said, I think the Magus who is shown fighting the Dream Devourer before the party fights it is a post-RD Magil, thinking he can prevent Schala's rebirth as Kid by defeating the Dream Devourer and freeing his sister.

EDIT: Expanded it a bit.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:22:47 am by Shadow D. Darkman »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 12:05:04 pm »
I know he was annoyed by Kid every once in a while, but to completely wipe her from existence after she found out who she was?

[edit]...Hey, has anyone ever beat the game after leaving Robo with Fiona, but before picking him up in 1000AD?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:06:35 pm by maggiekarp »

mikeb123

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 12:23:17 pm »
Though he would be erasing Kid, I'm sure he would much rather have Schala back then Kid. He spent most of his life searching for her, and I don't think he would just give up because she was cloned.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2008, 02:23:37 pm »
He spent most of his life believing he had nothing to live for and working towards getting revenge. Certainly he regrets not saving her when he had the chance, but he didn't join up with the Mystics thinking "Yes, this will surely save my sister!"

This is RD Magus, though. And in RD, Kid is an unaged Schala, not a clone.