Author Topic: Hehe, something ironic I just figured out  (Read 9834 times)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Hehe, something ironic I just figured out
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2005, 05:35:42 am »
So basically, Akira's Plothholes turn into Chrono Trigger Plotholes...in fact, why did we even need that bit in the ending? We already knew about everything they said.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2005, 06:27:31 am »
I always thought that FFIV was more Star Warsian than FFVI...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2005, 06:36:49 am »
Actually every FF is more or less Star Warsian (FFT is a pretty obvious one with Cidolfas "Obi-Wan" Orlandu...)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2005, 06:40:19 am »
So they basically just added all the Star Wars stuff for a joke or what? Because if it wasnt for a joke it would have absolutely no point at all!

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2005, 06:55:35 am »
It's a joke, or a tribute  :wink: seeing Square games, i guess that, at least in their early times, the head designers and programmers were Star Wars fans ^_^

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2005, 06:59:04 am »
Guess ur right there Jotabe, considering all the Star Wars stuff in a game that has no relation to star wars watsoever must come done to just pure fans of the movies.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2005, 11:40:12 pm »
'What strange chance that was it that I, alone of all my kin, should have borne the judgement of God for the sins of my people. I, who at risk of my mother’s cruel and terrible wrath spoke out against our unholy quest for immortal life. Yet I was the only one to achieve it, and finding that which I never yearned for, found it a curse beyond your reckoning, yea, beyond the reckoning of any mortal.'

Nice writing :D Where is this fanfiction? I can't find it on this site.

As for the Chrono Cross, I guess it would return to being the Dragon's Tear. Which reminds me, how far back does the remerging of the timelines go? Does it rearrange things so that they never split, or merge them at the beginning of the adventure? What is the Dragon's Tear anyway? I know it's an artifact of the Dragonians, but that's a tad vague.

As for Marle and Doan, Marle was obviously the Entity's doing, and Doan has Time Traveler's Immunity. But would he have lost it the moment he returned to his time? Would he cease to exist, in essence, and become a new person entirely?

Also, someone asked why the Entity can't remove Lavos, if it could do such for Marle. Probably several reasons. Lavos is an alien entity, outside of it's control, while Marle is born of the planet, which we assume the Entity is, which makes Marle one the tiny, tiny building blocks of the Entity. I'm sure time travel had something to do with it too. Like, it can't do that with normal people, but because Marle traveled through time and effected it, she was a variable that was easy to manipulate.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2005, 12:06:48 am »
I prefer to think of it in a little bit simpler terms: I look at it kind of like a game's characters would see a programmer...  Check it out...

When I start making a game on RPG Maker, I'm in complete control of my characters, what they do, what they say, what they think, and I know everything about them.  These characters, if they knew what I am capable of in regards to them, would see me as a god.  I can whip them up or destroy them on a whim...and not just destroy them, but erase them to the degree that they never existed...not in their limited view of their timeline anyway.  I am always the same to them, able to reach into their future or their past equally as easy as their present.  It's all the same to me.  What they see as a timeline, I see as a sequence of events that can be modified at any time.  I can create new events that use the "teleport" command and send them to another part of the game...  Which these characters may interpret or see as Gates forward or backward in time.

But what if my computer gets a virus?

Lavos is essentially this virus.  Something I cannot control, nor can I readily delete it.  It, too, can reach to every area of that game, corrupting or annihilating characters, areas, times, worlds.

Marle's actions caused her own demise, in terms of the time paradox.  That's completely a coding thing, cause and effect.  Lavos, however, as you said, was an outside force -- a virus -- that either the Entity couldn't readily destroy...or if the Entity vs Lavos is more like God vs Satan, then the Entity simply chose not to destroy Lavos immediately or directly.

Perhaps stranger yet, would be if Lavos is not a virus, but another user on the proverbial computer, trying to make its own changes.  Therefore, even by negating the changes Lavos makes, the outside force is still there somewhere, in the DBT or the Tesseract or wherever.

And since Lavos has already succeeded at screwing things up to SOME degree, his after-effects will always be felt unless the "programmer" (the Entity) could halt the process, debug what needs to be fixed, and then begin from where it left off.  However, because the Chrono world is essentially a running engine (time and time-error never really stop), it's more difficult to make these sort of changes.

Does that weird point of view help you at all? :lol:

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2005, 12:17:06 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
Nice writing :D Where is this fanfiction? I can't find it on this site.

This site has very little fanfiction as of yet, as I think ZeaLitY has yet to fully implement that feature - although it should be running in the near future (am I correct?)

Anyway, the link for that is in my sig.

Now, in reply to Jake-A-Roonie: very nice analogy! It's a funny thing to think about, the absolute control a writer has concerning the characters. And yet, it does feel at times that it is the story controlling and writing itself, and not a purposed and dominated thing on the part of the writer.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2005, 12:20:00 am »
Actually, that helps me perfectly; I'm a computer technician. More accurately, we can see Lavos as a self replicating worm with the ability to edit it's programming like a typical Dropper, or as a hacker, where the Lavos Spawn are the viruses it's planting in the system to infect others, or as a Trojan that poses itself as a helpful program to the humans (Zeal, anyone? :P)

Also, the Satan/God analogy always annoyed me, since if the Entity=God, and Entity=Planet, than that implies Paganism, so that Lavos couldn't be Satan XD

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2005, 12:22:55 am »
Actually I was implying that the Entity was God, and that the Entity is NOT the planet.  (The Entity = Planet thing is a theory that gamers have come up with.  It is not stated in the games.)

EDIT: By the way, something else that's noteworthy is that if Lavos is like another user at the "computer," then Crono -- being just a "character" inside -- can never truly destroy Lavos.  This would give serious credence to Lavos' lofty claims in Crono's last nightmare in Crimson Echoes.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2005, 12:31:31 am »
Quote from: Jake-A-Roonie
Actually I was implying that the Entity was God, and that the Entity is NOT the planet.  (The Entity = Planet thing is a theory that gamers have come up with.  It is not stated in the games.)

Well, I should hope that God isn't dying, as that would spell doom for all of reality. Ayla mentions that the times they have visited is similar to the life of someone flashing before their eyes before death, and theorizes that perhaps all these things they have seen are the death throes of an 'entity'. Since it is the planet that is in peril, and doomed to death at Lavos' hand, I think that it is that which is intended.

However, I'm not so quick to be literal with the game. If, indeed, that was the intended entity, then I would counter by saying that there may well be greater entities overseeing it all. My writing carries a distinctly Christian slant, and I am loath to wholly dismiss, or forego all mention, of God in so far as the fates and purposes of the characters go, even though it at times works crossways to the likely intent of the original game.

Beer Pope

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2005, 12:56:15 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight

As for Marle and Doan, Marle was obviously the Entity's doing, and Doan has Time Traveler's Immunity.

The entire point is that he can't have TTI.  If Lucca is the one that brought the Guardia line to 1000 A.D., how would she have the time do do that?  She was with the party the entire time.  The only chance Lucca would have to go and collect the family would be after Lavos was defeated.  If Lavos is defeated, then Doan will be from the prosperous future.  Therefore, he will not appear as he did in the destroyed future, nor will he have any recollection of the actions Chrono and the team took to help them.

But would he have lost it the moment he returned to his time? Would he cease to exist, in essence, and become a new person entirely?

Nope, Chrono remembers a 1000 A.D. without a black omen in the sky, even after he returns to the time.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2005, 01:22:35 am »
She was with the party the entire time.

No she wasn't. During the final battle, you could've left her in the End of Time, where she could've put all this together.

Nope, Chrono remembers a 1000 A.D. without a black omen in the sky, even after he returns to the time.

That's different. The Black Omen doesn't define Chrono's existence. Lucca was fearing that Robo would cease to exist in the new future for good reason. It might've caused him to not be built. The same goes for Doan. In the new future, he's obviously not going to be a starving, hopeless old man.

Well, I should hope that God isn't dying, as that would spell doom for all of reality. Ayla mentions that the times they have visited is similar to the life of someone flashing before their eyes before death, and theorizes that perhaps all these things they have seen are the death throes of an 'entity'. Since it is the planet that is in peril, and doomed to death at Lavos' hand, I think that it is that which is intended.

Exactly. The loss of a planet wouldn't effect God. Earth isn't that important to him if there's life on other planets. We KNOW the universe isn't Geo-centric.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2005, 01:34:32 am »
Quote from: Beer Pope
But would he have lost it the moment he returned to his time? Would he cease to exist, in essence, and become a new person entirely?

Actually, Aura Twilight was referring to Doan, not Crono...