Author Topic: Serge = Janus Theory  (Read 25869 times)

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2005, 02:43:59 pm »
If I recall, the dyed hair thing was one of the first questions proposed when this whole community was little more than a few threads at OCR.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2005, 03:05:40 pm »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
Quote from: Sentenal
We know that innate colors are not decided by personality, because when Serge becomes Lynx, Serge/Lynx is still Black Color.

But when Lynx becomes Serge, Dark Serge is also black. What gives?

Lynx is a biological interface of FATE, which is black innate.

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2005, 06:05:26 pm »
Still, the fact remains that Serge changed innates while Lynx didn't.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2005, 02:56:05 pm »
Maybe Lynx did something afterwards to change it artifically?  If I recall correctly, right after Serge first becomes Lynx, and your fight the Lynx-as-Serge, Kid, and whoever, Lynx-as-Serge was white.  Or maybe I'm not remmbering right.

CrazyGuy000

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2005, 04:01:07 pm »
Doesnt Bunyip also change innates? First he is like red or something and then he becomes a black after transformation.

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2005, 10:03:40 pm »
Maybe Lynx did something afterwards to change it artifically?  If I recall correctly, right after Serge first becomes Lynx, and your fight the Lynx-as-Serge, Kid, and whoever, Lynx-as-Serge was white.  Or maybe I'm not remmbering right.

No, you're right. Good catch.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2005, 11:55:26 pm »
I think that Lynk-as-Serge kept his element too, he even had his INNATE element (bash & dash) if I remeber correctly

Sentenal

• View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2005, 05:06:11 pm »
Lynx-as-Serge (Lynx in Serge's body) was white element, just like Serge, with Serge's techs (I think), and Serge-as-Lynx (Serge in Lynx's body) was black, with Lynx's techs.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2005, 06:06:02 pm »
Lynx-as-Serge (Lynx in Serge's body) was white element, just like Serge, with Serge's techs (I think), and Serge-as-Lynx (Serge in Lynx's body) was black, with Lynx's techs.

but later on Lynx-as-Serge is black with Lynk's tech (that I'm sure)

Sentenal

• View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2005, 06:25:21 pm »
Thats why I said he must have artifically changed it somehow.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2005, 04:50:19 am »
Thats why I said he must have artifically changed it somehow.

Maybe, as an agent of FATE, Lynx-as-Serge can still morph himself (using the Records of FATE?) like when Wazuki changed himself into a panther Demi-Human. The original Wazuki might also not have been Black innate.

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2005, 11:50:41 am »
I do belive that Serge is Janus from a certain universe.

Check out my "Shadows of the past..." part.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=588&start=15

Especially notice the "promise" part (and that also relates to the song 'far promise'.....).

Also, I have to mention the 'entity' from Chrono Trigger (I'm quoting something I wrote to someone a long time ago).
Also, do not confuse the term 'fate' with any character from Chrono Cross, because that is not the case:

That "entity" mentioned in 'Chrono Trigger' is in fact "Fate".
To those of you who played "Radical Dreamers" -
Remember the old lady who appears at the Clocktower/Storeroom inside the Viper Manor?
(The one who heals Serge and apprently is aware of Kid's past and their quest for the Frozen Flame).
That was Fate.
She was the one who gave Lucca the option to save her mother from the accident and created that time gate.
She's the one responsible for the reincarnation of Schala as Kid.
Schala wanted to be forgotten and lost in the vast flow of time after she felt responsible for the destruction of Zeal.
She went to death peak with no will to live any longer.
She wanted to commit suicide.

Fate had other plans for her, and chosen to give Schala another chance.
She brought her back to life as mere infant (later on, Lucca finds a baby girl with a pendant and adopts her, which is in fact Kid).

Fate is an entity which can see the past, present and future.
She is in fact what some may reffer to as a "god".
The godess of Fate.

If you really want an answer you have to think of 'Chrono Trigger' as what it is. A game which was developed years before 'Chrono Cross'.
There are many clues to suggest that in 'Chrono Trigger' and in it's direct sequel 'Radical Dreamers'.
Let me quote, if I may:

Serge: "Why bring us here, Kid? Is it fate?"

Kid: "...... Fate...? Life...? I don't even know anymore. But with Lynx, nothin's set in stone. But... sometimes, it feels like there's somethin' inside me, guidin' me... no matter what I do, it won't matter because I know it'll be showin' me what to do next..."

Anyway, there are many other clues.
Some are just suggestive and some are a bit more clear.
Personally, I always belived that it was pretty obvious in RD that the entity was in fact Fate (who could appear and disapear before their eyes, knew about the quest for the Frozen Flame, about Kid's past, etc.).

Chrono Trigger has a lot of mythology elements in it (as well as in a lot of other SquareEnix games).
Spekkio, the master of war, is actually the "god" of war.
Fate is, obviously, the godess of what we call fate or destiny.
In 'Radical Dreamers' we encounter Fate, and we also encouter another god. The god of death - Lilith, and Magil also summons the Goddess of the Moon.

Just as Magus (aka. Magil in RD) was supposed to be Guile in CC until it was decided that the realtionship between Kid and Guile won't be the same as in RD due to the large number of playable characters so magil's characters was replaced with Guile's.
'Radical Dreamers' answers a lot of questions which remained unanswered in 'Chrono Trigger':
What happend to Schala? what happend to Magus? What happend to Lucca? Who was the 'entity'? What happend to Crono? etc.

More about 'Fate' from 'Radical Dreamers':

With the stealth of a cat yet so valiantly composed, Kid follows behind in stride.
Drifting in and out of the shadows, the macabre figure of Magil looks out from behind.
The Weaver of Fate has surely by now taken notice of us, cradling us carefully in her arms...

"What do you want?"

I look around, startled. That was definitely not any of our voices.
Kid and Magil immediately take position, focusing their attention towards the source of the voice.

"Who's there!?"

A figure suddenly appears out of the darkness. It seems to be a short old woman with a large hood over her head. Although fully covered, it's obvious she's quite old.

"Aw, It's just some old hag," Kid says.

Magil's sharp gaze on the woman remains unchanged, however.

"Heh, heh... what an energetic young lady. You haven't come here this late in the evening to drop in on some friends, I'd imagine..."
I glance at Kid.

"Perhaps you have some score to settle with Master Lynx...?"

My heart jumps...
This is definitely not good. Will she warn the rest of them about us?

Kid's eyes narrow. "If we did have a score to settle with that bastard, what's it to you?"

"Heh... just as I expected."

The old woman cackles in amusement.

"Children... they're always so interesting like that. So imaginative, yet so predictable."

...???

"What're you talkin' about, old lady?"

"Oh, it's already been four or five years, I would gather. According to what I was told, one night a young thief came to the manor, looking for trouble... The thief was a little girl, about ten years old."

Surprised, I glance at Kid. There's a trace of an ice-like radiance in her eyes. Staring at her makes me feel like it's suddenly dropped below freezing in here.
Unfazed, the old woman continues her story...

"The girl was an orphan. She set off to face Master Lynx all alone, hoping to avenge the girl who had cared for her like a big sister.
But, after all, she was all alone. Outnumbered and overpowered, she was eventually defeated and captured by Master Lynx's henchmen...

As an ally, Master Lynx can be quite an asset. However, as an enemy, he can be one of the most fearsome men alive. If not for a friend who sneaked in and secretly rescued her, she surely would have perished.

From what I've heard, this mysterious figure who could allegedly slip in and out of the shadows was the subject of many whispers throughout the manor, long after this incident had come to pass."

Not moving a muscle, I try to look for Magil. He's nowhere to be seen. I can only guess he's sporting one of those trademark expressionless faces, somewhere off in the darkness.

"The inhabitants of Viper Manor don't condemn the unfortunate, because no one can win all the time. However, from time to time, the Goddess of Fate has been known to cast down those who have too much good luck, throwing the cogs of time out of order. It's not wise to try and stand against fate, continuing to repeat one's mistakes time and time again."

The old woman continues, staring straight at Kid, smiling sweetly. "If you want to steal the jewel, and if you really want to beat him, you too must give up your most valued possession, Kid. As long as you cling to it, the hands of your clock will never budge. They'll stay frozen, trapped in the distant past..."

"...Who the bloody hell is this old hag...!?"

"Me? Oh, just an old lady... pay me no mind. Thank you for listening to this old maid for such a long time. I certainly hope I haven't delayed you at all. But before you leave, which one of you..."

With that, the old woman looks in my direction.

"Ah, yes. You look like you've got a bit of a scrape there. Won't you let me have a look at it?"

What should I do? I don't know whether to be petrified or comforted by all this...

The old woman clasps her hands together. Bowing her head, she mumbles a few words in a low tone.
Suddenly, a gentle pale blue light surrounds my body, filling me with a strange warmth!

"Wow... look at that!"

My wounds are being healed before my eyes! It feels as though there's some sort of soft music being played all around me, putting me into a strange serenity.

When I come around, the woman is gone.

"Hello? Lady?" says Kid, relentlessly looking around. However, there's no trace of her. All signs of her presence are gone.

"Wonder what was up with that old hag..."

Looking around, I can't help but wonder what she was talking about, with all that talk about a prized possession and everything...

"Let's get our arses outta here! This place is givin' me the creeps!" says Kid all of a sudden, already heading for the door.

"Hey, wait up."

As I catch up with Kid, she gives me a friendly poke in the ribs. "Hmph, ain't no fair you were the only one who got healed."

Fate is watching them. Guiding them.
She can see the past, the present and the future.
When she speaks of the 'Goddess of Fate' she's reffering to herself.

I sit and look at my trusty knife collecting dust on the mantle above my fireplace, and think to myself, my days of traveling can't be over just yet. That old, familiar feeling of wonderment ensnares me as I vow to pack my bags tomorrow and set out for some new, exotic land, letting fate once again guide me wherever it wishes.

Why bring us here, Kid? Is it fate?

...... Fate...? Life...? I don't even know anymore. But with Lynx, nothin's set in stone.

The Weaver of Fate has surely by now taken notice of us, cradling us carefully in her arms...

More quotes from 'Chrono Trigger':

Azala: Red star... Fall!!!!! Stain the earth... RED! Though it may be our
fate to perish, we will not simply hand this world over to you! Mwa ha ha!
With this Black Tyrano I can finally exterminate those filthy apes!

A battle ensues.

Azala: No... It can't be...! Could the heavens truly have sided with the
apes? Listen, primates, and let it be known. We Reptites fought bravely to
the bitter end!
[/color=violet]

And from Chrono Cross:

Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it.

"What was the start of all this?
When did the cogs of fate begin to turn?

Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
From deep within the flow of time..."
[/color=violet]

Now, first you have to understand 'Fate'.
Fate controls everyone's destiny.
Fate also posses the powers of a god.
She can see the past and the future, and she can create time gates as well.
In 'Chrono Trigger' Lavos was causing the time gates to appear.
Though it's all a part of Fate's plan.
She wasnt creating the time gates, though she was allowing this course of events to happen.
The time gate that she did create, was the time gate Lucca went through in order to save her mother from the accdient which caused her to lose both of her legs.

Here's the exact dialog (as you can see, Robo didnt claim that 'Fate' suffers. Actually, none of them isn't fully aware of her exsistence) :

Robo: After 400 years of experience, I have come to think that Lavos may not be responsible for the Gates.

Marle: What do you mean?

Robo: I have come to think that someone, or something wanted us to see all this. The different events over time, that we have witnessed. It is almost as if some entity wanted to relive its past.

Ayla: Ayla know! When people die, elders say, see whole life pass by!

Frog: 'Tis true that morals do relive their most profound memories before death claimeth them. Yet those memories are often sad ones.

Robo: Think things like, "If only I had done this," or, "I shouldn't have done that..." triggers unpleasent, old memories.

Marle: Will that happen when our time comes?

Lucca: Probably... who knows?

Marle: Is there a point in time you'd want to return to, Lucca?

Lucca: No... not really...

Marle: I'm sorry, was that something I shouldn't have asked?

Lucca: It's ok, it's just something I don't like to think about too much.

Frog: Lavos playeth an integral role in the fortunes of the Entity...

Magus: .. so who is this Entity?

Robo: It is unknown, whose memories these are. It may be something beyond our comprehenseion. Our journey may come to an end when we finall discover the identify of the Entity. ... ... shall we turn in for the night?

Anyway, my point is that Janus / Magus / Magil / Serge / Lynx and Schala / Kid are bounded forever by fate and and a promise which was made long ago...

Sentenal

• View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2005, 03:33:52 pm »
That whole thing about Fate is off topic.  Serge is not Janus, not even in any of the RD universes, whatever they may be.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2005, 08:41:01 pm »
How can Fate be the Entity? That makes no sense. The main theme in Chrono Trigger is DEFYING fate. Heck, even a Poyozo in Zeal tells you there's no such thing as fate. I mean, why would Fate change things? That's backwards...Fate also isn't a dying thing, which is a requirement for something to be thought of as the Entity...I mean c'mon, you yourself quote the 400-Year Reunion! Get w/it... :P

GrayLensman

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2005, 09:49:03 pm »
FATE cannot be the entity because it did not exist during the events of Chrono Trigger.