Author Topic: Chrono Trigger - Schala Project (Community Project)  (Read 42352 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger - Schala Project (Community Project)
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:20:32 pm »
So, since Schala's new sprites have given me inspiration like no other, this project now started up!

My question is, how should we let her become playable?  Who should she replace?  We can't really put her as the 8th character because that's not quite done yet, so it'll have to be put over someone.

I've started on the basic sheet of her.  Some of the sprites in use though are a couple from the DS version and a few of Oswego Del Fuego's.  I asked Zeality just to make sure if it was alright if we could use those.

So yea, who should Schala replace?  How do you guys think she should be gotten?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:16:58 pm by justin3009 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger - Schala Project
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:04:26 pm »
I think she should become available by defeating the Dream Devourer -- use Fire, Light, Shadow, and Water magic in a particular order, then sacrifice Ayla's graphics packs to make room for Schala's.

This is so exciting! I can hardly wait to view the results!

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:07:42 pm »
I love the idea of getting her after defeating the Dream Devourer, but I'd rather see Magus go than Ayla--it'd explain how he ended up at that Dimensional Vortex. :P

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 04:36:59 pm »
Wow, that's a smart idea xD!  I was originally thinking Magus but wasn't quite sure.  That's going to be a bit of a challenge though then because we have a lot of graphics to add for him as NPC's and as battle sprites :|  Would it be possible to create an NPC that uses a horde of hero sprites as well?

Actually, we could use the 8th character somewhat.  Get the sprite assembly and the character graphics in there and have Magus's graphics in there..Yea, I think that could work.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:25:20 pm »
Just thought I'd post what I have of her sprite sheet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:04 pm »
You are a god amongst men. Please continue.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:32:48 am »
What if you replaced her with Magus?  That just... that just seems to make more sense.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:57 am »
You might want to see the other playable Schala mod around here -- people had quite a few ideas about her skillsets, sprites, etc. You might completely disagree with everything, but it's worth a look.

Since Schala is awesome, this is absolutely amazing and yes, you rock, but a problem I have is that it would be pretty hard for Schala to fight in those flowing robes... :/ You can't really run very well in something like that, could you? Of course, she could just levitate or something, but...

Excellent job nonetheless. Also, getting her after the Dream Devourer is practical, though not practical at the same time... You've already beaten the hardest boss in the game, so you wouldn't really need her.

But bah, ignore my nitpicking. This is really cool, keep up the good work! :D Maybe RoxSilverFox (the author of the other project) could tell you some of his ideas or something...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:14:59 am »
Yeah, I know there was another project just like this one going around...  RoxSilverFox was working on it with Magilmagus (or whatever his name is) and Chocobo_Fan.  They had made some pretty good sprites of Schala in an alternate costume.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:23:18 am »
I know about that one.  I had Schala in my own project with a custom outfit as well.  I just prefer to see her in this type of outfit because the other ones seem..I don't know.  They just don't seem right to me.  Let's just stick to this one for now and see how it goes.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 11:10:52 am »
The robes definitely fit her character more, her fighting outfit was a little more realistic--you're not gonna want billowy clothing when you fight--but why not take something Square has given us? These new sprites were basically begging to be implemented into a mod.
You can't really run very well in something like that, could you? Of course, she could just levitate or something, but...
She really should be floating, right? I mean, she's so damn elegant. And the sprite in Justin's avatar just needs a wee bit of tweaking before it could be used as a floating/running sprite.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 11:16:44 am »
I implemented the 8th character patch to the "Schala Project" rom, removed all the massive changes like names and gold, and just let the sprite assembly and graphics/pointers stay.  Only reasoning for this, is so that the Magus "Monster" is still "Magus" himself.  Along with any event that holds Magus.  Hopefully it works, so I'm going to have to go through the rom and check.

Edit: Got to fix the palette for Magus.  Did we ever discuss where their palette was held?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:36:54 am by justin3009 »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 11:38:57 am »
Storylinewise, it would be interesting to make her recruitable only if you leave Crono dead. Basically, save her with the Time Egg instead of saving Crono. This suggestion doesn't help much codingwise though.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »
That'd be neat, in another thread we were discussing the implications of the Time Egg and the effect that resurrecting Crono may have had on Magus. Alas, like you said, this doesn't help with coding. I'd love to help, but I can't do much--some slight sprite editing isn't out of the question, but insertion and all that are games left best to the pros.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 12:19:24 pm »
Wow, I had that same thought when playing CT:DS but completely forgot about it.  I like that idea.  I've always thought, "Why can't they save both Crono and Schala?.."  Very nice idea Chrono'99.