Author Topic: Playable character mod: Schala  (Read 34870 times)

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
Re: Playable character mod: Schala
« Reply #270 on: August 27, 2008, 12:51:05 am »
I think a dagger IS fitting for Schala...  After all, her daughter-clone IS Kid, who also uses a dagger...

Yeah there was that reason too but I didn't wanna bring it up

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 27, 2008, 07:56:22 am »
Yes, that's true, but how was kid at all like Schala in CC? She seemed like a completely different person. And the reason she had a dagger was a thief, not necessarily because Schala was skilled with them.

But meh. Daggers are easier to animate, even if it's not 100% fitting. :p Janus uses a scythe, but he's a special case... Do we see anyone else using weapons? Zeal doesn't use one, I think. So it would be tricky to try and figure out something for Schala. :/ It's true that they'd be easy to conceal and carry around, though, so she could definitely use one.

You could try a bow, possibly, (it would sort-of make sense since she's Marle's ancestor or something) but that would probably just be way too hard as well... (Though you could have her "passive" battle stance just having the bow pointing down with an arrow in it, then she shoots when she attacks, but...dagger would definitely be simpler...) Eh. Do what you wish. :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 27, 2008, 09:07:25 am »
Yes, that's true, but how was kid at all like Schala in CC? She seemed like a completely different person. And the reason she had a dagger was a thief, not necessarily because Schala was skilled with them.

As true as that is, my explanation is simple: gameplay mechanics in a role-playing game.  Tying the two characters together and weaving a common battle stance acts as a homage to the other character, if only at face value.  Players appreciate nods to precursor games, simple enough.

Besides, seeing as WHEN Schala is added into Chrono Trigger as another character, there's no telling what has transpired (events-wise).  So the mod COULD provide a simple enough explanation that may not be perfect, but at least viable.

Chocobo_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2008, 06:54:43 pm »
Hm, that's a good point. And like I said, it's not totally implausible, as it's a simple weapon that's easy to conceal. Schala most likely relies on her magic way more, anyway, so she'd probably use the most convenient weapon she can use, which would be a dagger. Like you said, royalty use them for defense, and it's not as hard to use as, say, a bow.

Also, a small mess-up earlier in the topic, about Schala being good for a "Light" alignment: Crono's Lightning alignment is actually a censorship thing. In Japan many of his attacks were Heaven themed, and the element was called "Sky". So Schala could simply be another "Sky" person, (Similarly to how we have two non-aligned members, Ayla and Prometheus, and two Water members, Glenn and Marle) which you could rename to Light. Giving her Holy as a tribute to Final Fantasy would be nice too. (Although is Crono's Luminaire supposed to be a fusion of Holy and Ultima or something? I haven't played the retranslation, so I don't know. V's played it, though. He might shed some light)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2008, 07:38:53 pm »
Originally the alignment WAS Heaven, and it was definitely changed to "Lightning" in the NA version in order to avoid any potentially religiously-inclined attention backlash.  As for Crono's Luminaire spell, it was originally called "Shining" in Japanese, so the exact nature of the attack is obviously more inclined to be Holy/Light-based (equivalent to the White Element in Chrono Cross; after all, Serge can also use Luminaire and it is a White Innate attack).

As for Schala, I think it's up for grabs if she would be Heaven/Lightning or Shadow.  I've heard arguments for both and neither was that strong.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2008, 04:46:57 am »
Everyone I'm gonna stick to daggers for weapons for now unless someone comes up with some totally kick arse idea and I think for Schala using Lightning magic would work good.

*Grins Loudly*

Chocobo_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2008, 07:30:00 am »
She isn't Lighting, though, she'd be Light. Only her attacks would be more light-based than sky/heaven-based like Crono's. Sort of like how Glenn uses water spells and Marle uses ice.

We should focus on sprites first, though. How are they coming along?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2008, 09:03:15 am »
Well if you're going to stick to the American canon, it would still be called "Lightning" element, it would just so happen that the attacks would be more light-based.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2008, 12:20:11 am »
She isn't Lighting, though, she'd be Light. Only her attacks would be more light-based than sky/heaven-based like Crono's. Sort of like how Glenn uses water spells and Marle uses ice.

We should focus on sprites first, though. How are they coming along?

I didn't say she was lightning I just said it would work good besides there is no actual light magic used in Chrono Trigger there was only lightning, fire, water and shadow. Anyway the sprites are going good thanks for asking  :D

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2008, 03:13:00 am »
i think schala could use a rapier its fast elegant and fit for royalty

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2008, 05:48:47 am »
i think schala could use a rapier its fast elegant and fit for royalty

That might be a good idea, good thinking

Chocobo_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2008, 09:46:38 pm »
No... Rapiers require a lot of finesse and training. Like I said, Zealians wouldn't bother with that stuff. They'd rely on their magic far more. I just can't picture Schala wielding one. Daggers sound way better.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 29, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »
Schala would either be using a dagger, or use her own magic to shoot beams of magic or something.  A dagger really does seem to be the most fit weapon.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 29, 2008, 10:07:57 pm »
In Star Ocean one character named Marvel used a strange magic/physical attack "sphere".  It was a floating sphere that she used to attack enemies.  Something like that would be appropriate, I think.

Chocobo_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2008, 10:17:55 pm »
YES! EXACTLY! That would make sense... I was thinking something like a magic bracelet that shoots energy beams from her hands, maybe? Although, wouldn't that count as "magic"? It's hard to call that a "regular physical attack". Dagger is simpler and gets rid of these problems... Would probably be tough to animate, too. It's a very good idea, though.