Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 109934 times)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:50 am »
 Magus has a floaty dash. That's cool. Guile is clearly not Magus because he only has a floaty stand there but move.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2008, 12:14:57 am »
I think the only person here who honestly believes Guile is Magus is MagilsugaM...

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2008, 12:20:14 am »
Magus can believe it's not butter, and he can eat just one. He still checks his closet every night for Vegeta on mondays and wednesdays, and C.A.T.S on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'd be scared too if I had to live with all that.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2008, 08:57:09 pm »
Guile was intended to be Magus, then they ditched that and have him be his own person, and the latest story, while it works with his old lines, is still... kinda... it just doesn't groove right with me.

I'm a Magil girl forever!

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:27 pm »
Magus has a red cape in FMV's/artwork but a blue one on his sprites...... Hmmmmm.......

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2008, 02:16:35 am »
I think the only person here who honestly believes Guile is Magus is MagilsugaM...

Who knows?
Janus didn't have pointy ears. And why the hell Magus has then. Is he a demon or something?
I wonder why he cannot be.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2008, 02:41:40 am »
Well, there might be some possibilities logically.
But, that would be a big joke if it's officially announced, since they have confirmed Janus was removed from CC.

lol

Magus has a red cape in FMV's/artwork but a blue one on his sprites...... Hmmmmm.......
Think about Tina from FFVI, who has blond hair in CG but blue hair in game.

Also, I don't get why Schala has blond hair in CC...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:44:52 am by utunnels »

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2008, 04:34:08 am »
 I think his cape is red in Radical Dreamers, too.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2008, 04:55:38 am »
I think his cape is red in Radical Dreamers, too.

Well, it is black or dark blue.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2008, 08:25:34 am »
He also has gold pants in some of the Toriyama artwork...He's got a wardrobe, go figure! The pointy ears could be an illusion to fit in better with the Mystics or a result of his delving into the dark arts...maybe being around Mystics just rubs off on ya! :lol:

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2008, 05:53:58 pm »
Think about Tina from FFVI, who has blond hair in CG but blue hair in game. 

Terra?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIHy8Q-Z6HE

Terra has green hair in cg and game.  Celes has blond hair and has moments where she looks alot like Terra.

I think in regard to Magus, he probably fell prey to the same thing that happened to Breath of Fire 3,  art gets advertised on one channel, and sprites are based off a different and sometimes changes are made without everyone getting told.  Or the team changed some colors for esthetics.  Colors and appearances are pretty important, and I'd say that the switch to purple was a contrasting change to his appearance alterations.  My guess is they didn't want first time players to know that Janus is Magus, while the purple cloak, which signifies royalty, still hints at it.  Additionally, his haggard appearance is either a ruse, (In Rd he doesn't have so rough an appearance) or its designed to demonstrate the 'darkness he survived' in his vengeance against Lavos. 

As far as being cool goes, I'd say one of the interesting things he has going for him is he has the traits to be a protagonist, even an anti-hero,  and yet he isn't the main character.  He's a story element, but its not his story, which I think in turn places a different emphasis on how players perceive him.  I'd say its a similar element utilized by Auron has in FFX

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2008, 01:16:44 am »
Terra has green hair in cg and game.  Celes has blond hair and has moments where she looks alot like Terra.
lol, I just can't tell whether that's light green or blond, but that is surely different from pure green.

Well, Terra is blond in Yoshitaka Amano's artwork.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2008, 03:34:30 am »
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/graphics/people/twry.jpg

I could scan my booklet, but rpg gamer works just fine – still green.  The green is lighter in different pictures and lighting, but Tina/Terra is green.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2008, 04:12:12 am »
He also has gold pants in some of the Toriyama artwork...He's got a wardrobe, go figure! The pointy ears could be an illusion to fit in better with the Mystics or a result of his delving into the dark arts...maybe being around Mystics just rubs off on ya! :lol:

...Gold pants?    You don't mean his codpiece do you? I've never seen Magus with clothes of any yellow tint covering his legs.  EDIT  Okay I see it now. Ironically, it's in the very image I was thinking of before: Him jumping down to attack Frog, Crono and Lucca in what is either Medina (what the hell!?)   Or the roof of his castle (why is there rock up here? God dammit Toriyama, can't you try to be a little more consistent with the game? MARLE DOESN'T HAVE FIRE MAGIC FIX THE BOXART.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Chrono_Trigger_Magus_battle_artwork.PNG

Okay yah nevermind what was here before he does indeed have a blue cape in RD...  okay
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:23:25 am by Captain B »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2008, 08:17:08 am »
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/graphics/people/twry.jpg

I could scan my booklet, but rpg gamer works just fine – still green.  The green is lighter in different pictures and lighting, but Tina/Terra is green.

Well, while that picture is of horrendous quality, I'd still call it blonde over green...especially of the green the sprite has...And, no...Various pics of her from Amano clearly use blonde hair...Hell, her design in Dissidia (though she has a green hair variant costume) uses her original blonde hair as well.

Okay I see it now. Ironically, it's in the very image I was thinking of before: Him jumping down to attack Frog, Crono and Lucca in what is either Medina (what the hell!?)   Or the roof of his castle (why is there rock up here? God dammit Toriyama, can't you try to be a little more consistent with the game? MARLE DOESN'T HAVE FIRE MAGIC FIX THE BOXART.)

Yeah! And they never wear that winter gear either! People in video games shouldn't own more clothes than their sprites show, dammit! Oh, wait a minute! Arc Impulse (clearly being portrayed in the box art) & Ice 1 both look like fire? Damn, that Marle's crafty with the Magic...:lol: (see that? that's me laughing at you people who keep bringing up the box art)

[attachment deleted by admin]