Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 108946 times)

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2008, 08:44:08 am »
"This new Chrono game has stronger ties to its predecessors. No, you don't actually find out anything about the fates of the old Trigger team or even Serge and Kid, but you can travel everywhere from Guardia to El Nido and recruit up to fourteen characters from each town! You can even recruit Lavos himself in New Game +!!"

Oh Lord, I mustn't give them ideas...

HAHAHAHA!!! ROFL! XD You have a good point there. What is with SE and suddenly making nine bazillionty characters in Chrono Cross? Plenty of their games did fine with FIVE! (SMRPG) Sheesh... In my opinion, all you really need is Pip, Kidd, Serge, and Glenn. ;) Those are the only ones I ever really liked using. It's a pity that Glenn isn't Frog sent to 1020 AD through some kind of weird time accident. :( That would have been cool, but oh well. CC's Glenn is still awesome. :D Guile being Magus would be cool too, but they omitted him at the last second, remember? He's such a characterized and open-ended character that he can have an entire game centered around him, so with everything else going on in CC, it would be too much. So he was omitted.

P.S. And I wonder what Lavos would be like...? Since he has, like, a million HP and is a god-thing, it would be weird to see him as a party member. o.O Besides the fact that he's the main villain and doesn't talk, I mean. :p He probably can talk, though, he just doesn't want to. :p

You totally know they're going to, though. SE can be really weird sometimes, and this is definitely no time to stop! D: FEEEEEAR!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:47:35 am by Chocobo_Fan »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2008, 01:35:29 pm »
First off, CC was an excellent game and did VERY well. It's just like with Final Fantasy Spirits Within, very good but the problem is what they label it, Final Fantasy or in this case Chrono. Without that label everyone would agree it to be a perfect game. Instead with the name only the reviewers gave it good reviews. (Most bizarre fan review I heard was that it would take a rocket scientist to figure out the plot?).

Next, the "massive" number of characters. Has anyone here picked up a copy of Radiata Stories from SE? Anyone? Great game, that I absolutely loved. Cartoonish, funny, action, romance, and LOADS upon LOADS of characters. It's for PS2. Pretty much EVERY character can be recruited. Even the old lady with the broom yelling at them damn kids to get off her lawn. It has well over 100 playable characters, a great plot, and many guest appearances by characters from the Valkyrie Profile series. Not to mention the Suikoden series which started the trend of EVERY character being playable. It should be a joyous thing that they have so many characters just as long as they each have their own story! Which CC did.

Little connection. If you want little connection, look at Jak and Daxter. The first to the 2nd, we go from this island of all sorts with our goofball of a hero with an excellent life to EXTREME ROUH N TOUGH BADASS WANNABE WITH GUNS AND MOTORCYCLES, BREAKING THE LAW RUNNING FROM COPS AND DRINKING TIL HE PUKES UP ALL OVER HIS ALLIES ALL WHILE SEARCHING FOR HIS KIDNAPPED GIRLFRIEND YOU DON'T TRULY FIND TIL THE THIRD GAME AND SO THE ONLY RELATION IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, BUT GUESS WHAT? NOT MUCH SIMILARITY THERE BECAUSE WE COMPLETELY REVERSED HIS PERSONALITY! RIPSHRED; BLAAAARGH!

Lastly, Lavos would pretty much just step on the opponent and win. He's a giant insect alien so what explanation is there for him not moving? Stomp, final boss - dead.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
P.S. And I wonder what Lavos would be like...? Since he has, like, a million HP and is a god-thing, it would be weird to see him as a party member. o.O Besides the fact that he's the main villain and doesn't talk, I mean. :p He probably can talk, though, he just doesn't want to. :p
If there is one thing I've learned from video game bosses that join you, is that in comparison to when you're fighting them, they always suck.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2008, 03:25:04 pm »
It's just like with Final Fantasy Spirits Within, very good but the problem is what they label it, Final Fantasy or in this case Chrono.

Besides looking pretty, FF:TSW wasn't that great of a movie regardless of it's name. Or else movie reviewers (who could give a rats ass what game it might have been pseudo-based on) would have said it was good (which they really didn't). It was ok.

It should be a joyous thing that they have so many characters just as long as they each have their own story! Which CC did.

It's not so much just having a story behind a character that matters, but the overall character development that was lacking in more than half of these characters. This is something that happens a lot in SRPGs that have massive amounts of characters (usually in order so that you can have a variety of differing abilities at your disposal), but is a more rare thing for standard RPGs. I'm a large proponent of having good characters in my RPGs, so even though Cross has a great story & an acceptable battle system, what it's lacking really struck a negative cord with me, as I think it did with many others. I think that this was magnified by the fact that it's the sequel to a game that had such abundant character development, so it's easy for people to compare the two and be left disappointed in that regard even more so.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2008, 03:57:57 pm »
Alright, that is a better argument that I can agree with.

Movie reviewers were probably right with Spirits Within(I saw it in theaters that was it, my memory is fuzzy), but they aren't always right such as with claiming Spiderman 3 to be an extremely crappy movie which it was not. It gave out everything everybody asked for, and yet they complained about what they asked for. Too many villains? Pirates has more villains then they did and people didn't have a problem with Pirates, where those villains weren't even as deepened with plot. Too long? Other movies have been way longer and have had raving success(like the new superhro flick The Dark Knight). My point, while reviews were probably right there that it was ok, they aren't always right.

However, I still stand strongly by my point of little connection. CC has a good amount of connection for a cotinuation, unlike other games. Read my example before...
Little connection. If you want little connection, look at Jak and Daxter. The first to the 2nd, we go from this island of all sorts with our goofball of a hero with an excellent life to EXTREME ROUH N TOUGH BADASS WANNABE WITH GUNS AND MOTORCYCLES, BREAKING THE LAW RUNNING FROM COPS AND DRINKING TIL HE PUKES UP ALL OVER HIS ALLIES ALL WHILE SEARCHING FOR HIS KIDNAPPED GIRLFRIEND YOU DON'T TRULY FIND TIL THE THIRD GAME AND SO THE ONLY RELATION IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, BUT GUESS WHAT? NOT MUCH SIMILARITY THERE BECAUSE WE COMPLETELY REVERSED HIS PERSONALITY! RIPSHRED; BLAAAARGH!

And lastly, of course playable bosses suck compared to their boss versions. It'd be odd if Crono has 999 HP, Marle has 897 HP, and Magus has 6666 HP. And Magus is usually the lowest leveled character in your party. (YES! I'm off topic of Magus and on the topic of Magus! Double points!)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2008, 04:57:33 pm »
Movie reviewers were probably right with Spirits Within(I saw it in theaters that was it, my memory is fuzzy), but they aren't always right such as with claiming Spiderman 3 to be an extremely crappy movie which it was not. It gave out everything everybody asked for, and yet they complained about what they asked for. Too many villains? Pirates has more villains then they did and people didn't have a problem with Pirates, where those villains weren't even as deepened with plot. Too long? Other movies have been way longer and have had raving success(like the new superhro flick The Dark Knight). My point, while reviews were probably right there that it was ok, they aren't always right.

While I agree that reviewers aren't always right, if YOU think Spider-Man 3 was good, YOU'RE the wrong one there. Besides, it's not like movie reviewers again care about what the comics nerds wanted. And personally, I wasn't a fan of Pirates and the later movies especially for exactly those points you just mentioned. I only liked Johnny Depp's performance, really. But Spider-Man 3, like X3 ironically enough, was a shit-fest, which was too bad because the first 2 were actually pretty good (though Spider-Man was never as quick-witted or funny as he should have been, but that's the dork in me speaking out). There was no focus, the alien costume was random & stupidly implemented, and those stupid teeth on Topher were so annoying to look at. If they couldn't do Venom right, they shouldn't have done him at all. Obviously Sam wasn't familiar enough with the character (being an oldschool Spider-Man fan that he is).

And I don't understand the Jak & Daxter stuff cause I've never played any of them. *shrugs*

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2008, 05:19:42 pm »
Spideman 3 was okay in my opinion, I'm just saying the reasons chosen to not like the movie weren't good at all for said reasons.

And trust me, Jak 1 is good and the others make no sense.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2008, 03:26:13 pm »
Yeah Three really seems to be a bad number for movies lately (or, last year :-p).

Spiderman 3: The villains pissed me off not cause there were so many, but, they weren't f-ing villains! The Sandman is cut loose, after going vigilante for his daughter. The Green Goblin's whining ***chy son, ends up becoming a hero by helping Spiderman, and then DYING in the SAME film that he becomes a character with some power (or technology). What's more, he became all good and friendly with his friend Peter after the f-ing butler told him what Peter had told him repeated? Really? The only real villain was Venom, who was, in my opinion, short lived in the movie. He rarely wreaked any kind of havoc, and was mostly a part of a Spiderman throughout the entire movie . . .

Xmen 3: This movie didn't bug me quite as much, with the exception of "Who the F**k is gonna be, well, the xmen team anymore?!" They killed off an INCREDIBLE amount of people in that movie! And, many, were GOOD guys!

- Xavier (dead, no, don't get me started on the his personality is in another body thing, it's retarded, shouldn't have been done, he shouldn't be dead)
- Jean Grey / Phoenix (dead)
- Cyclops (dead)
- Rogue (powerless, again, I know her abilities might still exist, but hopefully they find a REALLY intelligent way to bring this story back in a way that makes sense. They branched out a bit far for this movie).
- Magneto (powerless, refer to above)

And the thing about this is, it wouldn't have bugged me half as much to find these people dead, if they had any presence in the movie! Cyclops is killed, within what, the first half hour? 20 mins? It's just incredibly risky, and fails. I personally liked Cyclops as a fighter (though he did kinda complain and bug me a bit in the film), and would've LOVED to have seen a lot more of him. Leaving the movie, without the presence of the characters listed above (aside from the latter 2), really took away from the film, causing it to rely a lot more on the younger kids, to play out an adult movie.

Pirates of the Carribean 3: This first one was truly a great piece of art. It was quirky, fun, paced. It kept you going and even had a bit of, gruff, grime and dirt on it, that made it a pirate movie. THEN they get all "Chronicles of Narnia meets Blackbeard" on my ass, giving me mythological, philosophical piracies, which don't exist in any kind of history. Example, this, sailing to the end of the world thing, was just stupid. They aren't there long, it doesn't take long to figure out, AND, it isn't exactly entirely pirate-ish. Enough of the fantasy, builds quickly, and delivers a very alienated pirate experience.
And by god, the princess becomes a queen, of pirates. The son, holds the title of captain, over the very ship that killed (or enslaved) his father, I don't even remember what happened to Jack or Barbosa, but I DO remember thinking "The hell?! This came out of NOWHERE! Everyone is like, exactly the opposite of the character . . ."

3 is not good for movies.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2008, 03:45:01 pm »
Yet it seems to be amazing for games; Super Mario Brothers 3, MGS 3, and many other "3's" are seen to be the best in a series. What gives?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »
Video games=/=movies as seen with EVERY VIDEO GAME MOVIE EVER (not counting anime)!

X3 sucked for far more than just killing off characters...I mean, jeeze, most of the characters that died have died more than once in the comics...>_>

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2008, 09:35:55 pm »
After thinking about it I can name only three GOOD game->movie adoptions:
Silent Hill
FFVII:AC
Resident Evil: Degeneration

Two are CG, and one isn't even out yet (but looks hella good)

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2008, 11:07:03 pm »
After thinking about it I can name only three GOOD game->movie adoptions:
Silent Hill
FFVII:AC
Resident Evil: Degeneration

Two are CG, and one isn't even out yet (but looks hella good)
*Spoilers for Silent Hill games will defently follow*
I won't agree with you on Silent Hill....mainly because I'm a huge a** fan of the games (I've over analized the hell out of it, I have reached the point where Angela form Silent Hill 2 is my fav character and the Idea of Pyrimaid head ra**ing other monsters and killing them is purely metephorical towards James' pent up sexual urges, just like the Nurses in the 2nd game, and thus I dont see anything remotley disturbing about it!!). My main complant is surprisingly the MOTHER thing!
How many movies must be about a mother saving her daughter! IN the game Delilha (I spelled her name wrong I know, I'm in a hurry) was a B*tc* seriously this lady sacrficed her daughter to birth a God! The Main character was teh Father! in the game the contrast was this

Despite Delilah and Alyssa being mother and daughter through birth, there was no love from Alyssia mother.
Harry on the other hand found Alyssia on the side of the road! He and his wife take her in give her love and after the tragic death of his wife, it is his daughter that keeps him from losing his mind. (I like to point out the contrast between Harry and James at this point....but I will no) They lose this in the Movie completly, also Silent Hill is a thriveing resort town in the games which makes it more creepy that no one else is there!

I have many many more reasons, but let's not delve to deep into my already unsatble mind. Oh except pyrimid head was only put in the movie because he's popular, he felt out of place in the already outta whack story to me! Also they will never get to do the whole awesome cult origin story from the 3rd game
Quote from: Silent Hill 3 Soundtrack
"In the beginning people had nothing
There bellies ached and there hearts held nothing but hatred
they fought endlessly but death never came
they depaired stuck in the eternal quigmire.
A man offered a seperant to the sun and prayed fo salvation
a women offered a wreath to the sun and asked for joy
feeling pity for the sadness that had overrun the earth, god was born from those two people
god made time and divided it into day and night
god outlined the road to salvation and gave people joy
and god took endless time away from the people......
Yes there more to it...and trust me if you heard it you'd think someone was actully kindly giving a sermon about it...creepy.

Wow that stretch on longer then expected. (also the one song they used in it was You're Not Here.....from the 3rd game.
Nothing says horror like Pop music! Except in the game the song is played at the opening and works pretty well....oh and um the games have a surprising amount of humor....or I'm a sick sick person)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
I count CGI, especially FFVII: AC as being part of my anime exception rule.

I thought Silent Hill was an ok movie, nothing great...but I haven't played the games at all, and more often than not from fans I've heard nothing but negatives about the movie. I don't see the  point in getting the rights to a franchise if you're only going to use the name as a draw & don't actually use the source material.

The first RE was ok in it's own way, but it was far from a Resident Evil movie and this seemed to only get worse as the movies came out (I still haven't seen the last one, though).

I love that "Is Magus cool?" has turned into "Are there any cool video game movies?" :lol:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:18:16 pm by V_Translanka »

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2008, 11:36:25 pm »
I love that "Is Magus cool?" has turned into "Are there any cool video game movies?" :lol:

"Frog-Glenn Connection?" to "Glenn's Haircolor is fucking green, you idiot." Thread of May 2008.

- Never Forget.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2008, 11:52:11 pm »
Ah, but you miss the most important part of a good movie, it being enjoyable which Silent Hill very much was. It deviated from the story, no it was a different story, but still had the themes that make the game.