Author Topic: On Theism  (Read 13544 times)

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: On Theism
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2007, 04:12:36 pm »
Some of those debates really put some people off. Many previously frequent posters left the forums all together.

That is why I just stay out of these kind of topics all together. I don't comment on things, I know nothing, or very little about.

I don't see why. People shouldn't be emotional about debates like these. In fact, they're good practice for controlling one's emotions in all such arguments, debates, confrontations, whether through text on the internet or through speech face-to-face.

To leave a forum over one topic you don't agree with is ridiculous. And those kind of people who would leave over such a thing, I say good riddance. Well said, Kyronea.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2007, 12:35:58 am »
It's not one topic though. There were heaps of controversial debates.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2007, 12:57:37 am »

Really? I never noticed too much. Mainly because I just stayed out of them I guess.

Who left forever? I'm curious as to who left, and how many, since you said it turned off a lot of people.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2007, 12:49:57 am »
I don't see why. People shouldn't be emotional about debates like these. In fact, they're good practice for controlling one's emotions in all such arguments, debates, confrontations, whether through text on the internet or through speech face-to-face.

To leave a forum over one topic you don't agree with is ridiculous. And those kind of people who would leave over such a thing, I say good riddance. Well said, Kyronea.

And the moral of this week's story? "Easier said than done."

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2007, 08:48:52 am »

Really? I never noticed too much. Mainly because I just stayed out of them I guess.

Who left forever? I'm curious as to who left, and how many, since you said it turned off a lot of people.
Sentenal? Krispy for a while. Er, some other guys.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2007, 01:14:26 pm »
its not over the topic itself. more like, if the people you come on the forum to talk to are all sitting there mocking something you really really like, why keep talking on said forums? and sure you could  fight, but not everyone wants to

example:
the viewer is a ps3 fanboy

Person 1: lol this topic is as dumb as sony for releaseing the ps3 at $900

person 2: lol yea, sony is retarded.

person 1: yea, and anyone who likes them must be stupid.

now if persons 1 and 2 are your best friends on the forum, you might get mad at this.

but this is about more important things than game systems, i see a lot of people mocing religion here. thats as bad as being racest in terms of singleing out people and offending them.

example:
the viewer is a christian

Person 1: lol this topic is as dumb as the bible

person 2: lol yea, jesus is retarded

person 1: yea, and anyone who believes in him must be stupid.

now if persons 1 and 2 are your best friends on the forum, you might get mad at this.

okay, but not everyone is like that on these forums. they try to be as respectful as they can when talking, but they still say that.

lets say your black, and your life long best friend comes over and says to you
"lol, your a nigger, and all niggers are stupid"
keep in mind hes not joking or anything. we'll say hes been hanging out with racest people lately, and thats why hes like this, if you want a reason.
now if he says
"sorry. i dont like you anymore be cause your skin is a differant color than mine, and i believe that makes you less inteligent than me and other people of my skin color, i hope your not offended."
you're still going to get offended, and mad. and some of you will say "thats his problem" but if hes your life long best friend you would expect more from him than that, so dont give me that BS.

you wouldnt be his friend anymore.

anyway, now i've showen you that being respectful, your words can still piss people off.

so lets say you go to a group on the internet, and everyone likes final fantasy 9, and so do you, so you join, but in every topic theres something like "lol, yea boss 6 was a nigger"  or something along those lines. would you really put up with it? or would you just go somewhere else?

----------------------------------------------------------
question: how can being a ps3 fanboy hater be like being racest?
answer: cause you hate someone based on only one thing, regardless of wether they're good people or not.

question: why did you only use christians and blacks? isnt that racest?
answer: im christian, so i know what thats like, and one of my friends is black and had that happen to him, and maybe you could view it as racest, but i'm not saying black people are christians are any better or worse than anyone else, so i personaly wouldnt view it as such.

question: didnt you blow this out of porportion?
anwser: i zoomed in so you could see all the flaws easyer.

question: why dony you use spell check, and proper grammer?
answer: too lazy, but i took english 101 in collage, and i have firefox spell checker, so dont think its cause i cant.
----------------------------------------------------------

short version: you only say its stupid because you don't know whats its like, dumbasses.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »
short version: you only say its stupid because you don't know whats its like, dumbasses.

Hmm.. No

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2007, 04:10:45 pm »

I'm a dumbass? Hmmm, news to me.

Every example you listed is far too extreme. We have never been racist, or taken cheap shots at anyone in this forum. I for one am offended that you would even associate this forums members with that sort of blatant hatred.

We treat people with respect and courtesy here. If we disagree, we give good reasons, and do them calmly. We don't just shout stupid BS to someone we disagree with. We don't roll like that here. Not now, not ever.

And I don't appreciate being called a dumbass. I'm a dumbass, because I don't feel the same way you do? That's real mature. Even if it wasn't aimed at me, your so called quote was uncalled for. And "dumbasses" must mean we as a forum. And calling everyone here a dumbass, is not a smart move on your part.

Take this crap somewhere else.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:28:22 pm by Glennleo »

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2007, 04:13:56 pm »
no one on this forum is a dumbass, just proving to you guys who say "dont be offended by internet text" that its easyer said than done. also, as i said, it is the same, but less extreme.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2007, 04:27:47 pm »
no one on this forum is a dumbass, just proving to you guys who say "dont be offended by internet text" that its easyer said than done. also, as i said, it is the same, but less extreme.

Touche. I see you point now.
I know when I'm bested.  :lol:

I still stick with my post, because that's how I truly feel. But I get your point too.
This is one of the few forums I frequent, so I feel a strong bond to it. So I'll defend it to the death.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:29:24 pm by Glennleo »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2007, 06:36:28 pm »

The examples you give aren't analogous. I can chose to buy or not buy a PS3, and then later change my mind. I cannot chose the color of my skin, nor the social context I was born in to.

It is certainly easy to offend people via the internet, which is why we here strive for a respectful tone in our discussions. People can disagree without disrespecting each other.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2007, 10:22:29 pm »
The thing many people often forget, though, is that the internet is not some magical fantasy land separate from the rest of the world. People abuse the anonymity the internet affords them--to those who don't know how to find out who you are--and are often much ruder and spew more hatred than they would ever dare in person, and that can hurt feelings. Emotions are powerful and affect our lives in so many ways...probably one of the most important things to manage when it comes to health and well-being.

The internet is just another method of communication and information transfer, like telephones, television, books, radio, and so on. That's all...it's not a separate reality the way people act like it is, and I really wish more people would realize that. It would certainly make it a nicer place.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2007, 05:36:49 am »
@Ramsus: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that when someone makes a completely voluntary decision (like buying a PS3), then we are allowed to criticize them? So if I become homosexual, I too am allowed to be criticized? Probably misunderstood you, so yeah, correct me if I'm wrong.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2007, 10:14:12 am »
You know, after asking and receiving several replies, many to the sound of "go away, never to return", Sora has done a terrible job fulfilling our utmost wishes!

Certainly sir, calling the fine members of this forum "dumbasses" because they completely disagree with your rather circular form of logic is certainly not a way to make many friends.

I'm hoping that you catch on to the message behind my rather sensitively written assessment of your stay at the Compendium. AND IF NOT: GTFO YOU FAILURE.

I'm fairly certain I'll wrap this up in Zeality fashion (I hear it's all the rage these days), for the lulz.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2007, 10:08:26 pm »
Ouch, I haven't seen this much antagonism directed at one member on the forums since...

You-know-who.