Author Topic: On Theism  (Read 13840 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: On Theism
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2007, 04:49:01 pm »
You should be encouraged. It's already far more than Krispin has said on the Compendium pretty much all year. Long before you joined, he and I really used to go at it...

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:48 pm »
You should be encouraged. It's already far more than Krispin has said on the Compendium pretty much all year. Long before you joined, he and I really used to go at it...
Well, I guess that's true, but still...

We made this little fight over the whole thing, then made up, and I expected it would go on for another few pages, but one reply later and it's over?! Not fair.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2007, 05:18:21 pm »

That's it?! You have nothing more to say?!

Uh, is there anything more to say? I mean, you've heard what I've said; I've heard what you said. What you said is giving me thought; and I assume what I said is giving you thought as well. I'm not in agreement, but since you've at least made yourself clear and solidly made your point, what more's to be done?

Of course I'm still standing with my belief that true truth, perhaps even truer truth (heh, truer truth. I know, impossible), can be found in literature. Aristotle says that poetry is more of a science than history, because history only tells us specific facts, whilst poetry tells us general truths. I see the same distinction between what we call science and poetry. But this is the way I see it. I tried to sound off the idea that maybe empiricism isn't as good as it seems, and you rebuffed it. I might still think you're wrong, and that your case against it isn't right, but you nonetheless made it a good case of it. I can respect that, since obviously you have a pretty definite idea of what you believe. I've learned some things, maybe you've learned some things - and hey, that's the point, isn't it? I was just trying to get you to question, and open a bit of a dialogue. Well, mission accomplished, I guess. Other people can take over with different tangents on the topic now.

I mean, your lengthy reply was appreciated. Don't get that wrong.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2007, 06:37:47 pm »
Oh, well...okay. I guess I just...

I was hoping there WAS more to be said, because I enjoyed the exchange. I didn't learn anything new per se, but it reaffirmed some things I keep forgetting, certainly, and I'm glad I gave you something to think about.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2007, 03:47:54 am »
Some of those debates really put some people off. Many previously frequent posters left the forums all together.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2007, 11:42:57 am »
I don't see why. People shouldn't be emotional about debates like these. In fact, they're good practice for controlling one's emotions in all such arguments, debates, confrontations, whether through text on the internet or through speech face-to-face.

Dan and I both became huffy because I made the mistake of straying into territory he knew he could not keep himself from becoming emotional about. That's the sort of mistake one needs to make clear should not be made before the debate begins, as we both learned.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2007, 02:59:23 pm »
The debates themselves are often counterproductive in terms of persuading people. They can be useful in other ways though, and people who leave the forums over them are just being dramatists.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2007, 03:10:22 pm »
Exactly. The whole point is that you have fun and that you consider the opposing point of view and learn from the experience. The only way you'll actually convince the other side is if they're not all that strong in their convictions, and that almost never happens.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2007, 08:50:08 pm »
I left the forums once or twice, actually. Though it was mostly to preserve the peace. When I'd cooled down and felt that I could talk peacably again, I returned.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2007, 08:53:18 pm »
I left the forums once or twice, actually. Though it was mostly to preserve the peace. When I'd cooled down and felt that I could talk peacably again, I returned.
Now see, that's a good thing. If you ARE getting too emotional, leaving for a bit to cool down is sensible.

It's the people who leave and never come back that are being ridiculous.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2007, 11:32:36 pm »
Kyronea, while some people might enjoy it, I sure don't. It's never about having fun for me. It's about exposing the poisonous lies or blissful ignorance of others.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2007, 11:53:59 pm »
Kyronea, while some people might enjoy it, I sure don't. It's never about having fun for me. It's about exposing the poisonous lies or blissful ignorance of others.
Surely that is fun?

People need to have more fun in their lives. Really. It helps.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2007, 12:12:22 am »
Surely that is fun?

ZEALITY BREAK

Ramsus

« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2007, 12:55:41 am »

This is how I feel too.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2007, 09:49:37 pm »
Surely that is fun?

Fun clouds the perception.

Anyway, that Socratic bit said, on what I was talking about before, I have a quote that might serve as a bit of a vindication.

'Now take the acquisition of knowledge; is the body a hinrance or not, if one takes it into parnership to share an investigation? What I mean is this: isthere any certainty in human sight or hearing, or is it true, as the poets are always dinning into our ears, that we neither hear nor see anything accurately? Yet if these senses are not clear and accurate, the rest can hardly be so, because they are all inferior to the first two. Then when is it that the soul arives at truth? When it tires to investigate anything with the help of the body, it is obviously led astray. Is it not in the course of reflection, if at all, that the soul gets a clear view of the facts? Surely the soul can best reflect when it is free of all distractions such as hearing or sight or pain or pleasure of any kind - that is, when it ignores the body and becomes as far as possible independent, avoiding all physical contacts and associations as much as it can, in its search for reality. Then here too - in despising the body and avoiding it, and endeavouring to become independent - the philosopher's soul is ahead of all the rest. Here are some more questions, Simmias. Do we recognize such a thing as absolute uprightness? And absolute beauty and goodness, too? Have you ever seen any of these things iwth your eyes? Well, have you ever apprehended them with any other bodily sense? By "them" I mean not only absolute tallness or or health or strength, but the real nature of any given thing - what it actually is. Is it hrough the body that we get the truest perception of them? Isn't it true that in any inquirely you are more likely to attain more nearly to knowledge of your object in proportion to the care and accuracy with which you have prepared yourself to understand that object itself? Don't you think taht the person who is likely to succeed in this attempt most perfectly is the one who approaches the object, as far as possible, with the unaided intellect, without taking account of any ssense of sight in his thinking, or dragging any other sense into his reckoning - the man who pursues the truth by applying his pure and unadulterated thought to the pure and unadulterated object, cutting himself off as much as possible from his eyes and ears and virtually all the rest of the body, as an inpediment which by its presence prevents the soul from attaining to truth and clear thinking? Is not this the person, Simmias, who will reach the goal of reality, if anybody can?' - Phaedo, 65:9-66:8

It's interesting, because I had not read this before now. However it seems to be that, in arguing my case earlier, I was following similar thought-patterns for my philosophy. Even so, this all says it in far clearer words than I was capable of. There is this concept that what is empiricle can only give a shadowy show of truth because it is always just a lesser form of an eternal absolute. To truly understand a thing means to examine it apart from the limiting constraints, and examine the absolutes. This, though impossible to do entirely within life, can at least be striven for. The questions that is being asked is 'what stands behind this?' Truth is not found inherent in a thing, but behind it, and as such an empiricle analysis cannot give us anything more than a semi-complete answer as to the truth of a thing. This can be seen by the examination of such concepts of 'beauty'. For the relative concept to exist (ie. a thing is more beautiful than another), there must be an absoulte standard by which to define it (that is a logical neccessity.) As such, there is then something that might be called True Beauty, but since everything we see is only on the relative scale of it, we will never be able to understand the truth of the matter using empirical examination of the senses - it must be considered in isolation apart from them if any real understanding is to be reached. This was at the core of my critisism empirical approaches.

You must remember, this was written in a time when empirical science was being very much pursued.