Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 485403 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6255 on: October 18, 2011, 07:01:22 am »
I hate being poor.*

*Poor as in "no money whatsoever."  I realize that if you take the entire world into consideration (and even the entire country) I am very, very rich.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: October 18, 2011, 08:22:49 am »
Ugh. Yes. I have more than a lifetime's fill of this whole "poor" thing. I expect I have it worse than most, because of my upper-middle-class stylings and elitist philosophy. Fiscally, I am firmly rooted in the lower class. I don't own many of the toys, nor do I buy many of the services, that most people on these forums do.

As rushingwind says, having a pot of money would fix so many problems. I want a pot of money! *stamps foot*

It's ironic that someone of my level of intelligence should have been so poor for so long. I'm not sure if that's a more scathing indictment of me or of this country.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6257 on: October 18, 2011, 11:50:40 am »
As rushingwind says, having a pot of money would fix so many problems. I want a pot of money! *stamps foot*
Was it just me, or did someone else imagine little Artemis Fowl throwing tantrums and scheming to steal pots of gold from the Fairy race? :o

It's ironic that someone of my level of intelligence should have been so poor for so long. I'm not sure if that's a more scathing indictment of me or of this country.
Ah, there's the biggest problem. The world needs people as intelligent as you, and yet they favor those who are more "street smart" and social than talented folks. From an intellectual's perspective, that's illogical and horrible. From the perspective of the cunning (aka, social predators), it actually makes sense.

They say that to become rich, powerful and influential you need political / delegate skills, and need to know the right people, but such a system ends up eroding our progress, resources and system to a downfall (even if it helped us kickstart in the first place). They don't care how talented someone is; they care who you know. My goal is to change all that.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: October 18, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »
Here I was thinking you had one of the more awesome jobs in the world, but perhaps awesome-er opportunities await. You could always join the Compendium's growing ranks of freelance article writers, mwahahaha!

I did indeed have an awesome job, but to be honest, I'd learned all I could from that setting. They were going the route of interactive films rather than games, and interactive film interests me much less. A lot less aesthetic potential.

Ultimately my goal is to get to a place where I can tell the kinds of stories I want to be telling, in one way or another. My job was not allowing me to do that. Ironically, the week before this happened, I attended GDC Online's Game Narrative Summit, and met a lady there who had my ideal life: she wrote fiction and children's literature in addition to freelance game writing (most of her jobs were intriguing indie projects rather than AAA titles), and supplemented things with editing. I think that's a life many of us here can envy - it was inspiring! (You're interested in game writing too, right FW?)

Thank you all for your well-wishes. It seems I'm in really good company!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6259 on: October 18, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
Syna, aren't there magazines, newspapers, studios or online media in the USA which can make use of your potential? Indie-studios, as FW suggested, is one thing, but there's bound to be a lot of publishers around? I too was hoping I could secure a column for philosophy in some newspaper agency here, but apparently my institute and current job restrain me from it.

Children's fiction sounds like a great example. XD Did you try getting into book deals? You could always start off with a blog of such.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: October 18, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »
Quote from: Syna
You're interested in game writing too, right FW?
Indeed, I'm one of those here who also hope to launch into that someday. I've seen a great need for writing talent in the videogame industry, especially outside of the big studios that have some change to spare on writers. The paradox is, games need some writing talent if they're going to carry greater cultural weight (IMHO), and yet the writer's skills are the most expendable when it comes to the nuts and bolts of game design on a shoestring budget. I'll have to look up the Game Narrative Summit, that sounds fascinating!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6261 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:15 pm »
@FW, Syna, Thought, and everyone in need: I actually chanced upon an interesting article by Susan Cain. Thought you guys might be interested.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/quiet-the-power-introverts/201104/5-tips-finding-work-you-love

The question here is, are you satisfied with what you're doing? Does money really matter that much compared to your true purpose in life?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6262 on: October 19, 2011, 03:40:43 am »
After this eProject's done, I'm gonna nap for a whole week...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:36 am »
Ugh, why am I SO awkward...  -_______-

I do not know how to be friends with girls.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6264 on: October 20, 2011, 09:24:08 am »
Sometimes having daily powercuts / black outs for 3 to 6 hours is a blessing for the human mind.

Sometimes, it's just a pain in the ass.

Also, I wanna be a playwright! *throws tantrums* One blessing of modern technology is that one can relay a visually telling story without any budget whatsoever. Still, it's no substitute for the actual thing. While I'm glad that I'm into digital media and story-telling, I hope my new blog curbs my anxiety.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:28:53 am by tushantin »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6265 on: October 21, 2011, 03:30:58 pm »
In the game industry, writing is in the early stages of budding off as a distinct job from game designer. It's taking time, but that is the way things are moving in the industry. Narrative designers are one of the first positions to emerge specifically to get writing that fits the needs of nonlinear storytelling, which I can tell you, as someone engaged in it, can get very tricky very quickly.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: October 21, 2011, 10:36:32 pm »
The industry could use some friggin' writers. When the masses think that Bioshock is as good as it gets, I get smashy.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6267 on: October 22, 2011, 04:19:46 am »
Hey now, it trashed Ayn Rand. Can't argue with a good thing. (Tongue in cheek of course.)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6268 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01:52 am »
I'm broke... I just have Rs. 200 (i.e., $4) in my wallet right now, half of which will be used up in my eProject courier. I won't get salary for another month too.

Parents are willing to give me money, but I hate taking anything from them. Reason being, we're still in a state of financial recovery since my mother's operation, and I hate leaching off others.

That's it. I'll take Google's offer, no matter what the cost. If I am to help the world get on its feet then I may as well take on any and every burden that comes in my path. Do me a favor and lend me all your burdens -- it'll only make me stronger.

Time to steal destiny from under God's nose. Life, you better run for it: I'm gonna live the hell out of you, and will do it with style!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:04:00 am by tushantin »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6269 on: October 22, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »
I was all excited for the German Pirate Party winning seats, until I read that they're against quotas for female advancement in the workforce.

Typical. The greatest thing on earth could come to pass and you could still count on it to be patriarchal.