Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 491648 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3420 on: July 23, 2009, 04:58:41 am »
I wish I could help but I dont know perl... =(

...and my frustration?

The idiotic FF7 fanboys that say it needs a remake.  Not only that, but the fact they also say that they aren't fanboys/girls AT THE SAME TIME.

Ugh.

idioticidioms

« Reply #3421 on: July 23, 2009, 05:26:25 am »
copyrights

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: July 23, 2009, 09:17:27 am »
@ZaichikArky:  I've been known to do some Perl. No guarantees, but PM me if you like and I'll see if I can help.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3423 on: July 23, 2009, 10:10:38 am »
The idiotic FF7 fanboys that say it needs a remake.  Not only that, but the fact they also say that they aren't fanboys/girls AT THE SAME TIME.

...Why? It's not one of my favourites, but I had a great time playing through the whole game and I think it's fully deserving of a remake, but V and VI should come first, naturally.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:24 am »
My comment regarding the lack of poetic exposure in modern life actually was the result of commentary on how our ability to learn new languages decreases significantly after the age of seven (though it begins to decrease around the age of one). Like foreign languages, poetry is usually covered primarily in High School and is often segregated from other topics. And indeed, poetry is almost like a language itself; by waiting so long to get into it in any depth, Americans are about as fluent in poetry as they are in French.

Younger children are a perfect audience for creating a lifelong passion for poetry; they've just graduated from annoying their parents with endless repetitions of nursery rhymes, so that is a wonderful time to give them meatier verses.

I had pretty good exposure to poetry in high school. In addition to stuff like Beowulf and Shakespeare's plays and sonnets, we did at least one entire unit on poetry that lasted about a third of the year, where I discovered my love of William Blake and Emily Dickinson.

I am jealous. My first exposure to Blake was in the old Batman cartoon series (the episode, "Tyger Tyger,"). Though I'm amused that you included Beowulf as an example of poetry; usually epic poetry is presented more as odd prose stories, rather than actual poetry (the Iliad is another that often suffers such a fate).

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: July 23, 2009, 11:11:50 am »
As a writer of prose who only wanders into the realm of poetry with much deliberateness, I am happy to make the distinction. Beowulf is a fine piece of work; beautiful structure. Even greater kudos must go to the ones who translated it into modern English without losing the alliteration so essential to the work's structural cohesion. It was Beowulf that gave me my love for alliteration; today alliteration is my own signature technique (in my creative writing, that is; not so much in casual stuff like this).

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3426 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:59 pm »
My first exposure to Blake was in the old Batman cartoon series (the episode, "Tyger Tyger,").

Holy crap! Me too! Not only was that a sweet ass ep (hello Catwoman furry!), but the actual poem is awesome as well (one of my favs).

As for something frustration-related...I think part of my not liking the 'funny' game pics thread is that I'm stuck on this 56k so much of the time, so I'll make amends with that whole sitch here as I prob won't be visiting the actual thread much...Though I DO have quite a few funny out-of-context screengrabs from Ace Attorney games and such...Hmmm...

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 25, 2009, 08:47:11 pm »
*curses in a mild, noble manner*

Gah....don't you just love random life moments that interfere with other things such as one's internet life? It pesters me so.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 25, 2009, 11:58:01 pm »
I find it mildly frustrating that my laptop was completely unstartable this morning. I got one of those classy Windows errors that basically says "Error 000: FUCKED!"

I'd been using my laptop as my main computer. Right now, pretty much all of my work and recreation are dead in the water until I can get it to a repair shop on Tuesday.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3429 on: July 26, 2009, 03:36:24 am »
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl's GTS (Global Trading Station). Why? Because people request the most ridiculous trades there, like Mew, Dialga, and other legendaries that I am NOT going to trade for a fucking Starly. And it's not just common little beginning-of-game Pokemon, it's everything. A fair trade isn't easy to find, which defeats the purpose of the GTS.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It really freaken sucks! Especially if you're someone like me who just wants common pokemon. My other gripe is with all the people who want shiny pokemon. I have never even encountered one and everyone wants them just cause they're different colored >_>. I wish more people would be willing to trade common pokemon with me.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: July 26, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »
The two-party system is the defeat of America.

Why? Because two means duality, it means rivalry, it means that this one's the good guys and that one's the bad guys and they might switch places any time they want just to fuck with you.

And it's not like other parties don't exist. It's just that those parties are usually so far extreme that the two main one's look tame and even more attractive choices than the others. Combine that with the fact that only a small fraction of the American people vote anyway, and an even smaller fraction of that actually knows what they're talking about when you ask them why did you vote that way.

It's the perfect distraction, a fake war between two sides of a government designed to sit around and do nothing.

My stepmother calls me "Democrat" like a brand name instead of my real name. It's pretty annoying. Yes, I have voted Democrat for the two presidential elections I've been of age to experience, but that doesn't mean I'm a party loyalist, or even a member of the party! Honestly I'd consider myself something between Democrat and Libertarian, but thanks to the two-party system, if I like a candidate in the Libertarian Party, I'm "throwing away" my vote and perhaps allowing an even less attractive runner up to take office. When a voting choice becomes a fight for the lesser of two evils, something's wrong. That said, I feel like Obama is the "real thing" to the extent that I think he believes he's going to do what he promised to do. Whether he'll actually do it all, is unlikely because he's only human. But the point is I think he's trying to give America hope for what could come. Not just democrats. Not just black people. Not just one kind of person or another. But America.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:08 am »
I've been trying to avoid this thread lately.  I absolutely love my chickens.  Life is generally good.  But like everyone I am not immune to the occasional case of the jazz.  Routine is something I love and hate at the same time.  Right now I hate it.  I feel like I'm on a treadmill sometimes.  Constantly moving, but in the same place.  A good audition will help, as always.  Some hairy comedy shows, no callbacks, and I'm becoming more and more frustrated with our nation's inability to deal with criticism of any kind.  Random as far as everything else I just typed goes, but it permeates my thoughts.  Drives me nuts, really.

I was in the middle of revamping my SoY, but stopped.  Silly.  Some long term goals were met in a sense and I eased off the gas ever so slightly, for no good reason. 

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: July 28, 2009, 12:19:07 pm »
Haggling.

Haggling is a lost art, it seems. At least, I have no practical experience with it, nor does anyone else I know who aren't my parents. I am trying to get a new car using the governments Cash for Clunkers deal (which started last Friday and is apparently already almost out of money) but I can't get the dealer to budge at all on the price. I expect it is partially because they know that we like the car (a bad move on our part) and that we have a limited time (because the program's money isn't going to last). Still, paying full price for a new car feels like we're getting totally ripped off. But alas, I have no idea how to haggle the dealer down.

Buying a car and buying a house are some of the only areas in modern life where people still haggle, but we no longer grow up being taught how to haggle, so I suspect people will get ripped off more and more for that very reason.

Alas.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3433 on: July 28, 2009, 08:09:26 pm »
I hate haggling. It feels dishonest and distasteful to acknowledge at the opening of a negotiation that the other party could sell at a lower price, but won't until they're harassed. So unpleasant. I would have been a terrible merchant.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:17 pm »
God dammit. I hate stray fucking cats.

I can't wash the comforter for my bed in my machine, so I have to hand wash it and leave it out to dry, which wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the countless number of ferrell cats in my neighborhood. I come out to get it from where put it, and there's like three of them pissing and shitting and shedding hair all over it. I've tried to notify the "owners" (pure bullshit, they let them fuck like rabbits and run free with their litters around the neighborhood), and they don't care at all. I apologize for the profanity, but god damn it.

Fuck.