Author Topic: A Planet Cannot Recover After a Lavoid Attack  (Read 19096 times)

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: A Planet Cannot Recover After a Lavoid Attack
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2007, 04:31:01 am »
Well, if you want to talk about evidence, then take Mother Brain's words into account. She never claimed the planet would only be fit for mechanical beings. Something about the humans still being alive was making things worse. And those monsters in the highways...What are they?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2007, 04:47:52 am »
Well, if you want to talk about evidence, then take Mother Brain's words into account.
I have, and then dismissed them due to the bevy of evidence suggesting otherwise as well as the fact that she is a corrupted A.I. that is obviously acting against her programming. I am not simply ignoring her words, mind, but taking them into account and then dismissing them for the reasons stated. Though the result is the same the difference in process is significant and should not be taken lightly.
She never claimed the planet would only be fit for mechanical beings. Something about the humans still being alive was making things worse.
Right, she said the Planet would recover if only humans were not around, but that makes no sense. If anything, biological organisms such as humans and the seeds they may plant from Melchior's seedling would be necessary to aid in the recovery of the Planet. Furthermore, she is committing mass genocide against all organic life. To be frank, her words are meaningless when taking her actions into account. She is corrupted and cannot be trusted.
And those monsters in the highways...What are they?
Mutated life forms, possibly life forms more resistant to radiation than other life forms that subsequently mutated into their current forms, though said forms are not sustainable in the environment that exists in 2300 A.D. They will eventually exhaust the remaining food supply--the other mutated life forms and the few rats--and begin feeding upon each other, presuming they are not already wiped out by robots by that time.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2007, 05:59:24 am »
You seem to be confusing Mother Brain for being crazy.

The game regards Mother Brain, and the whole series as being rogue, and corrupt in the sense that they got above their programming and have their own free will.
CC shows that more in depth with FATE.
The simple fact that Mother Brain is so powerful that she can think for herself only proves that she would have a ring of truth in her speech, after all her AI is probably that or greater to that of a humans.
BTW, even Robo didn't disregard her speech. The reason they stopped her was because they didn't want humans to be dying because Crono and co knew that those people had a hopeful, bright future, otherwise why bother with them.

Heck, even at the end of the game, nobody mentions that Lavos was killing the planet. They only cared about him being in the Earth, collecting DNA to slaughter the humans later. It's the same thing that Mother Brain is doing, and it works perfectly as to an idea for why the planet would dream of a way to save them.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2007, 06:19:26 am »
You seem to be confusing Mother Brain for being crazy.
That's exactly what I'm saying, though her insanity is more a case of corruption rather than mental illness as it would be in a sentient biological life form. Either way, the result is the same: she cannot be trusted.

The game regards Mother Brain, and the whole series as being rogue, and corrupt in the sense that they got above their programming and have their own free will.
CC shows that more in depth with FATE.
I agree with you somewhat, but the Mother Brain was corrupted while FATE simply evolved its own programming over the course of thousands of years. While FATE's A.I. was based on the Mother Brain A.I., we're talking basic programming here, not all of the potential personality details and whatnot. The two cases are completely different. FATE existed for over ten thousand years, while the Mother Brain turned into a genocidal maniac.
The simple fact that Mother Brain is so powerful that she can think for herself only proves that she would have a ring of truth in her speech, after all her AI is probably that or greater to that of a humans.
Ah, yes, because everything everyone who has ever existed that is sentient must be true. I'll go ahead and say something now: Flying monkeys inhabit Sidney Australia and rule the world. Obviously this is untrue, but according to your logic it must be true.
BTW, even Robo didn't disregard her speech. The reason they stopped her was because they didn't want humans to be dying because Crono and co knew that those people had a hopeful, bright future, otherwise why bother with them.
I once again point out that just because no one questioned it at the exact time does not make it true. The evidence against it, as well as the evidence for the Mother Brain's untrustworthyness far exceeds whatever possible truth her words might hold. You may have noticed that the party does not bother to respond to anything she says, only reacting when directly confronting her.
Heck, even at the end of the game, nobody mentions that Lavos was killing the planet. They only cared about him being in the Earth, collecting DNA to slaughter the humans later. It's the same thing that Mother Brain is doing, and it works perfectly as to an idea for why the planet would dream of a way to save them.
...excuse me? I'm not fully understanding what you're trying to say here. So they do not mention to Lavos that he is killing the planet; this is irrelevant as they do mention this in other scenes, such as that scene in the ending that appears if the Fiona's Forest scene is not witnessed, as I have repeatedly stated and you have repeatedly ignored. Furthermore, are you trying to say that the Mother Brain was trying to save the Planet or something? I fail to see anything of actual meaning in your statement with the Mother Brain.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2007, 01:10:24 am »
Mother Brain would have no reason to lie. It would probably know of the situation in the future more than most people. It expected to deal with Crono and Co.  without question, so why would it make things up? Anything Mother Brain said was probably for a reason, since it was fully functioning, right? Why does the planet have to die off in order to make their adventure important enough? Maybe life itself is a sign of a planet's healthiness. Losing billions and billions of life forms due to Lavos would annoy the planet enough to want it out, no? If not, who likes to have a parasite in their guts? That too is reason enough for the planet to act.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2007, 01:23:13 am »
Mother Brain would have no reason to lie.
I didn't say she would lie, I said she was wrong because she is corrupted; there is a serious difference.
It would probably know of the situation in the future more than most people. It expected to deal with Crono and Co.  without question, so why would it make things up? Anything Mother Brain said was probably for a reason, since it was fully functioning, right?
Functioning, yes, but I would not call it fully, at least not in terms of sanity.
Why does the planet have to die off in order to make their adventure important enough?
I never said that the Planet has to die. I said that the Planet is dying, as stated! It is a game fact!
Maybe life itself is a sign of a planet's healthiness. Losing billions and billions of life forms due to Lavos would annoy the planet enough to want it out, no? If not, who likes to have a parasite in their guts? That too is reason enough for the planet to act.
Yeah, see, that parasite? It's been there for over 65,000,000 years. Lavos has been sucking the Planet dry, and that is killing the Planet. How would you react if something attached to you and sucked out your life force? Without said life force/energy/whatever, you would obviously die, as is the Planet! Why is this so hard to understand?

Honestly, people, the whole point of the game is to save the Planet--and, also, humanity and all other life upon it--from death via Lavos. So why would the bloody Planet recover?! Why are you so interested in taking the word of a corrupted computer program that has turned into a genocidal maniac over Robo and the main party, as well as the other bevy of evidence all supporting the death of the Planet?

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2007, 02:23:15 am »
Actually, looking back now, nobody stated that the planet was dying.

At the campfire scene, it was stated that the gates were like someone looking back into their past, looking back at all the sad memories, where they wanted to change things on their dying bed.

Because it's not stated explicitly, we know nothing of what is happening to the planet. We don't know if it'll recover or not. The simple fact is that the planet looked back, and wanted to change something, and so Crono and co took up the challenge.

And you didn't answer me.
What would the point of Crono and co getting the seed for the people in 2300AD be, and stopping Mother Brain form killing humans, if they were all just going to die anyway? It is stated that the seed is magical and can recover the environment. It is stated that the humans have hope and will continue to survive. And it's stated that Lavos absorbed the DNA of all life to become powerful.

It's never stated the the planet is dying/dead, except there is an analogy for the gates.

Also, computers don't have sanity, they're pure logical. That's why they're cold and bureaucratic. Mother Brain thinks that the humans are a waste of space, so shes killing them so so there can be a new age of machines. There.
But since shes stopped, the humans have a chance.
It's just that the planet doesn't want machines to rule, and it wants to avoid the Day of Lavos all together.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2007, 03:39:36 am »
Actually, looking back now, nobody stated that the planet was dying.
Oh? They said the entity is dying, and the Planet is the Entity. Ergo, the Planet is dying.
At the campfire scene, it was stated that the gates were like someone looking back into their past, looking back at all the sad memories, where they wanted to change things on their dying bed.

Because it's not stated explicitly, we know nothing of what is happening to the planet. We don't know if it'll recover or not. The simple fact is that the planet looked back, and wanted to change something, and so Crono and co took up the challenge.
I will quote from the original North American game script:
Quote from: Game Script
Robo: After 400 years of
   experience, I have come to think that
   Lavos may not be responsible for the
   Gates.

Robo: I have come to think that
   someone, or something wanted us to
   see all this.

The different events over time, that
   we have witnessed.
   It is almost as if some entity wanted
   to relive its past.

Ayla: Ayla know!
  When people die, elders say, see
   whole life pass by!

Frog: 'Tis true that mortals do
   relive their most profound memories
   before death claimeth them.

Yet those memories most often are
   sad ones.

Robo: Thinking things like, «If only
   I had done this,» or, «I shouldn't
   have done that...» triggers
   unpleasant, old memories.
If you'd like, I can try and copy from the retranslation, though I hate doing so because of the poor formatting. In any case, these quotes make my point quite clear.

And you didn't answer me.
Answer you? I don't recall a specific question, but I will endevour to look more closely in the future to be sure I don't miss anything.
What would the point of Crono and co getting the seed for the people in 2300AD be, and stopping Mother Brain form killing humans, if they were all just going to die anyway?
Almost all of the actions of the game are rewritten many times over in the course of the story. Why did they get the seed? Because they offered to help. Why did they destroy the Mother Brain? Because it helped Robo settle a part of his past as well as allow him to gain his ultimate weapons. Simple enough, really; I would think you would know this.
It is stated that the seed is magical and can recover the environment.
Oh for the love of...you surely cannot be on about this again. I already told you why this cannot work; magic cannot just do anything it pleases. One plant is not going to recover an entire freaking planet. Furthermore, in order for it to recover anything, it must be able to grow in decent soil, which it will not be able to do once the Planet has died, which it is close to doing in 2300 A.D--I would say it was dead already except some life does still remain, and the Lavos Spawn need some form of food source.
It is stated that the humans have hope and will continue to survive.
Good for them! It won't matter a bit if the Mother Brain killed them all, or if the Planet dies anyway if the Mother Brain is dead, because without the living Planet, the humans will not be able to survive. To be honest, considering the absolute lack of any vegetation on the surface of the planet it's a wonder there is a breathable atmosphere at all. 
And it's stated that Lavos absorbed the DNA of all life to become powerful.
I fail to see what this has to do with anything you're trying to prove. Furthermore, while he examined all DNA he would only absorb that which would make him stronger. Call it quibbling over details, but that's what happened.
It's never stated the the planet is dying/dead, except there is an analogy for the gates.
Incorrect. They state the Entity is dying. The Entity is the Planet. Therefore the Planet is dying.
Also, computers don't have sanity, they're pure logical.
Which is why their version of insanity is corruption, as I've repeatedly said time and again. Keep up, please, instead of making a mountain out of a molehill.
That's why they're cold and bureaucratic.
That's only if they're not programmed with emotions. The Mother Brain obviously possessed at least a few emotions, such as rage. Besides, any A.I. of the level of the Mother Brain would be programmed with morality as well, to keep the A.I. from deciding coldly and logically that humans are a waste. The Mother Brain was corrupted by the Day of Lavos event.
Mother Brain thinks that the humans are a waste of space, so shes killing them so so there can be a new age of machines. There.
Well, thank you Captain Obvious. Have anything else you'd like to point out?
But since shes stopped, the humans have a chance.
Minute at best, presuming the plant is able to survive long enough to provide any sort of a food source, and provided there are enough humans left that they have a reasonable gene pool from which to draw from...without such a pool you'd have inbreeding and eventual extinction of the species...but this all presumes that the Planet would survive for much longer, which is doubtful at best, considering how fast those spawn were growing...hell, I'd say they were close to maturity, or at least close to leaving the Chrono Planet and heading out into space.
It's just that the planet doesn't want machines to rule, and it wants to avoid the Day of Lavos all together.
I don't see why the Planet would give a damn if machines were ruling; it was trying to save itself from death. How much more do I need to say?

The Planet was being sucked dry for 65,000,000 years, then has its surface devestated beyond imagination, with the oceans acidified and all vegetation wiped out, with a barely breathable atmosphere most probably sustained only because the Planet itself is barely holding on. Meanwhile, the Lavos Spawn feed from the Planet and suck the last of its life. When it dies, they would leave.

A Planet Cannot Recover After a Lavoid Attack. By the time a Lavoid is attacking the surface to eliminate threats to its spawn it is already too late; the damage is done. Whatever minute hopes exist for a recovery are sucked away by the spawn as they feed their growth to maturity.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2007, 07:13:35 am »

I will quote from the original North American game script:
Quote from: Game Script
Robo: After 400 years of
   experience, I have come to think that
   Lavos may not be responsible for the
   Gates.

Robo: I have come to think that
   someone, or something wanted us to
   see all this.

The different events over time, that
   we have witnessed.
   It is almost as if some entity wanted
   to relive its past.

Ayla: Ayla know!
  When people die, elders say, see
   whole life pass by!

Frog: 'Tis true that mortals do
   relive their most profound memories
   before death claimeth them.

Yet those memories most often are
   sad ones.

Robo: Thinking things like, «If only
   I had done this,» or, «I shouldn't
   have done that...» triggers
   unpleasant, old memories.
If you'd like, I can try and copy from the retranslation, though I hate doing so because of the poor formatting. In any case, these quotes make my point quite clear.

[/quote]
You do know that 3/4 of that scene was directed at Lucca's gate to save her mother. Maybe you didn't realize that it was all about sad memories, and going back to a point when you could change something sad...
And it still isn't stated directly that the entity is dying, so you fail again at proving it -.-
Oh, and at the end of the game, Lucca simply asks if maybe some higher power wanted them to see the events, not save the planet -.-
At most, CT is about saving the future.

Oh for the love of...you surely cannot be on about this again. I already told you why this cannot work; magic cannot just do anything it pleases. One plant is not going to recover an entire freaking planet. Furthermore, in order for it to recover anything, it must be able to grow in decent soil, which it will not be able to do once the Planet has died, which it is close to doing in 2300 A.D--I would say it was dead already except some life does still remain, and the Lavos Spawn need some form of food source.
One plant can recover an entire freaking planet, if the game says it can. You're thinking of the seed in terms of our planet. Sure, in our world, that's probably inplausible.
But that plant did grow in their soil, and it sprouted. Give it time and it will grow, and maybe the magic will take effect and boom, plants will pop our everywhere and suck out all the CO2 and crap in the air.
Let me remind you again, anything stated in game, until proven otherwise, is fact.
The seed is said to heal the environment, it's made by the Guru of Life, and it's magical, hence it can save the environment. No more discussion about this one.

Good for them! It won't matter a bit if the Mother Brain killed them all, or if the Planet dies anyway if the Mother Brain is dead, because without the living Planet, the humans will not be able to survive. To be honest, considering the absolute lack of any vegetation on the surface of the planet it's a wonder there is a breathable atmosphere at all.
Why wouldn't it be breathable? All Lavos' attack did was attack the planet, probably injecting the atmosphere with dust, wow...
Plus, they live in domes.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything you're trying to prove. Furthermore, while he examined all DNA he would only absorb that which would make him stronger. Call it quibbling over details, but that's what happened.
Incorrect. They state the Entity is dying. The Entity is the Planet. Therefore the Planet is dying.
The Japanese version seems to concentrate more on the fact that Lavos is absorbing all the DNA of the planet to get strong, not the planet's power.
Its that he attacks it in 1999AD so that his children can come out, probably safely.
And once they're gone, the planet should be able to recover, as Mother Brain said.
However, the planet doesn't want all life to end before new life begins, or the Lavoids to leave or for Lavos to ever erupt, so it remembered its sad moments and the gates occurred.
That works out because Marle states that it's the planet vs Lavos. And by planet, they meant everyone who has ever lived. Odd eh.

Minute at best, presuming the plant is able to survive long enough to provide any sort of a food source, and provided there are enough humans left that they have a reasonable gene pool from which to draw from...without such a pool you'd have inbreeding and eventual extinction of the species...but this all presumes that the Planet would survive for much longer, which is doubtful at best, considering how fast those spawn were growing...hell, I'd say they were close to maturity, or at least close to leaving the Chrono Planet and heading out into space.
You do know that just because theres like 10 humans seen in 2300AD, that doesn't resemble all of them. There'd probably be thousands of survivors. They did live in domes, for crying out loud, and those were bigger than the town sprites. Also, I'm simply assuming that the domes have ventilation, or some fresh supply of oxygen, even if you're saying that the air is poisoned (even though I wouldn't see from Lavos' attack).

Anyway, you do realize that I'm just being the devils advocate. I don't really care if it will recover or not.
It's just the simple fact that anything stated in game is evidence, and unless proven, is moot.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2007, 07:43:01 am »
You do know that 3/4 of that scene was directed at Lucca's gate to save her mother. Maybe you didn't realize that it was all about sad memories, and going back to a point when you could change something sad...
And it still isn't stated directly that the entity is dying, so you fail again at proving it -.-
The scene was both for the Planet and to set up Lucca's own scene bit. I only quoted the relevant text. Furthermore, the whole point is that the reason the Planet is viewing these memories and trying to change its own past is thanks to the fact it is dying! I don't see how that can be any clearer!

Oh, and at the end of the game, Lucca simply asks if maybe some higher power wanted them to see the events, not save the planet -.-
Yes, because they didn't know the Planet is the Entity. If they had, they would have said something specific about that. You are beginning to try my patience.
At most, CT is about saving the future.
Yes, the Planet's future, and the ability of the Planet to continue living.

One plant can recover an entire freaking planet, if the game says it can. You're thinking of the seed in terms of our planet. Sure, in our world, that's probably inplausible.
But that plant did grow in their soil, and it sprouted. Give it time and it will grow, and maybe the magic will take effect and boom, plants will pop our everywhere and suck out all the CO2 and crap in the air.
The game did not say it could magically save the entire planet. The North American translation stated it could cure the environment, while the retranslation stated it could protect greenery. Both comments mean that it can heal what already exists but it cannot simply recreate an entire ecosystem! The most we ever see this plant do is reverse desertification in one area, and that required large amounts of plants over 400 YEARS worth of planting. Fact is, the Planet and humanity does not have that kind of time.

As for why it grew...this plant is designed to grow in harsher environments, and there would still be nutrients left in the soil, at least till the Planet died. And this one plant will not be capable of creating enough oxygen for an entire planet's atmosphere...not even a forest would do so. You're being ridiculous and you know it.
Let me remind you again, anything stated in game, until proven otherwise, is fact.
HAH! HAH! I've got you! I have freaking GOT YOU! You just admitted this, and as such you must now admit that the Planet is dying and cannot recover! Because, as you say, anything stated, unless proven otherwise, is fact. And the Mother Brain's statement can be proven incorrect. Therefore you just admitted your argument fails. But, to humour you, I will still address the rest of your argument since you're not going to actually accept this...
The seed is said to heal the environment, it's made by the Guru of Life, and it's magical, hence it can save the environment. No more discussion about this one.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you are attributing one plant capabilities that far exceed what it is truly capable of. Just because something is magical does not mean it can do absolutely anything it wishes at any time. Its magic simply allows it to flourish in much harsher environments and aid in recovery.

By the way...are we entirely certain that the seeds found in the Arris Dome food storage section are, in fact, the seedlings of the magical plant? Now that I think about it I'm not sure this was ever confirmed. (Not that I really doubt it is, because I don't, but it is something we should confirm before quibbling over this even more.)

Why wouldn't it be breathable? All Lavos' attack did was attack the planet, probably injecting the atmosphere with dust, wow...
Plus, they live in domes.
Wow...you understand absolutely nothing, do you? Let me tick things off one at a time, shall we?
1. It caused numerous fires within forests and other sources of vegetation, which we can conclude because no vegetation remains. This alone would pump massive amounts of CO2 and CO into the atmosphere.
2. The dust you speak of? That's not inconsequential...that alone would cause serious breathing problems and conditions, especially since it seems to be quite persistant even three hundred years after the Day of Lavos.
3. The oceans have acidified, meaning no algae or any other ocean based vegetation can give off oxygen and counteract any of the CO2 and CO pumped into the atmosphere.
4. Whole sections of continents are literally GONE. We're talking enormous devestation, and probably at least some volcanic activity if Lavos destroyed continents, which would pump even MORE poisons into the atmosphere.
5. Every single one of those Domes--except for Bangor Dome, I think--had loads of dust in the air. Obviously those domes are no longer airtight, which is not surprising considering the devestation wrought.

It is a miracle that the air is breathable at all, and this can only be attributed to the fact that the Planet is barely hanging on doing its best to keep what little humanity that lives alive, which alone proves that the Planet is responsible for maintaining living conditions upon its surface, and that without it all life will perish.

The Japanese version seems to concentrate more on the fact that Lavos is absorbing all the DNA of the planet to get strong, not the planet's power.
Its that he attacks it in 1999AD so that his children can come out, probably safely.
Yes, in terms of strengthening himself, but he does need a source of food and energy, and that's what he's sucking from the Planet.
And once they're gone, the planet should be able to recover, as Mother Brain said.
Oh? In neither version did the Mother Brain state that the Planet could recover if the Lavos Spawn were gone...she stated that the Planet would recover if HUMANITY was gone....you're slipping...you can't even remember your own faulty base for your argument correctly.
However, the planet doesn't want all life to end before new life begins, or the Lavoids to leave or for Lavos to ever erupt, so it remembered its sad moments and the gates occurred.
Yes...and it wanted to save itself as well. No new life could occur without the Planet living, and the Planet would die once the Lavos Spawn are finished growing to maturity.
That works out because Marle states that it's the planet vs Lavos. And by planet, they meant everyone who has ever lived. Odd eh.
Oh? You knew exactly what she meant? I don't think so. I think she meant exactly that it was the Planet AND all who had ever lived upon it versus Lavos.

You do know that just because theres like 10 humans seen in 2300AD, that doesn't resemble all of them. There'd probably be thousands of survivors.
Actually, I am taking scale into account, and no, there would not be "thousands" of survivors. We're talking hundreds at most, and more likely naught over 100 across the entire world. Remember, these survivors would be forced to live on the Entertron, and as powerful as that device is, it could not maintain that many people for three hundred years. Furthermore, you need several thousand to approach a reasonable gene pool, and that's at minimum...you should really try for closer to 10,000 to ensure no potential genetic defects from inbreeding.
They did live in domes, for crying out loud, and those were bigger than the town sprites. Also, I'm simply assuming that the domes have ventilation, or some fresh supply of oxygen, even if you're saying that the air is poisoned (even though I wouldn't see from Lavos' attack).
The domes that survived, even taking scale into account, are not the large city domes. Arris Dome certainly looked like a research station, and Bangor Dome and Trann Dome both appeared to be outposts, possibly--nay, probably--military outposts, which would explain how they could survive the attack when whole continents could not. Furthermore, let's not assume anything...we go by what we see, and by what we can reasonably conclude based on what we see. You're making a blind assumption that they have ventilation and a fresh supply of oxygen when, again, I point out that all of the domes were flooded with dust.
Anyway, you do realize that I'm just being the devils advocate. I don't really care if it will recover or not.
And I don't care. Argue soundly or not at all. A Devil's Advocate is useless if said Advocate cannot argue worth crap.
It's just the simple fact that anything stated in game is evidence, and unless proven, is moot.
I think you mean that anything stated is evidence, but only if not proven otherwise, and I agree.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
The scene was both for the Planet and to set up Lucca's own scene bit. I only quoted the relevant text. Furthermore, the whole point is that the reason the Planet is viewing these memories and trying to change its own past is thanks to the fact it is dying! I don't see how that can be any clearer!
It's trying to change its past, it doesn't mean its dying. Planets don't just die. The simple fact that the planet has an atmosphere and life means that it's continue to live. Do you think another meteor the size of Texas will end life on Earth? The simple answer is no, and after time, the planet will recover and life will emerge. Same as there. And if the planet was dying, it'd still already be dead then. If Lavos transcends all time, then the planet would be dead from any time period that he landed. And not just that, but even in 1999AD, there were forests everywhere. It's just Lavos' attack that scared the planet.

The game did not say it could magically save the entire planet. The North American translation stated it could cure the environment, while the retranslation stated it could protect greenery. Both comments mean that it can heal what already exists but it cannot simply recreate an entire ecosystem! The most we ever see this plant do is reverse desertification in one area, and that required large amounts of plants over 400 YEARS worth of planting. Fact is, the Planet and humanity does not have that kind of time.

As for why it grew...this plant is designed to grow in harsher environments, and there would still be nutrients left in the soil, at least till the Planet died. And this one plant will not be capable of creating enough oxygen for an entire planet's atmosphere...not even a forest would do so. You're being ridiculous and you know it.

Wow...you understand absolutely nothing, do you? Let me tick things off one at a time, shall we?
1. It caused numerous fires within forests and other sources of vegetation, which we can conclude because no vegetation remains. This alone would pump massive amounts of CO2 and CO into the atmosphere.
2. The dust you speak of? That's not inconsequential...that alone would cause serious breathing problems and conditions, especially since it seems to be quite persistant even three hundred years after the Day of Lavos.
3. The oceans have acidified, meaning no algae or any other ocean based vegetation can give off oxygen and counteract any of the CO2 and CO pumped into the atmosphere.
4. Whole sections of continents are literally GONE. We're talking enormous devestation, and probably at least some volcanic activity if Lavos destroyed continents, which would pump even MORE poisons into the atmosphere.
5. Every single one of those Domes--except for Bangor Dome, I think--had loads of dust in the air. Obviously those domes are no longer airtight, which is not surprising considering the devestation wrought.

It is a miracle that the air is breathable at all, and this can only be attributed to the fact that the Planet is barely hanging on doing its best to keep what little humanity that lives alive, which alone proves that the Planet is responsible for maintaining living conditions upon its surface, and that without it all life will perish.
Irrelevant.
You keep thinking that the CT world is like our world, so quite frankly, I can't argue with you.
And aslong as you keep thinking that, i'm still right. The planet recovered from Lavos' crash that killed off the reptites and caused an ice age for millions of years, and as did our planet.
The simple fact that the humans are living is like all that matters. And they're surviving, and they can live in a ruined future.

Oh? In neither version did the Mother Brain state that the Planet could recover if the Lavos Spawn were gone...she stated that the Planet would recover if HUMANITY was gone....you're slipping...you can't even remember your own faulty base for your argument correctly.
I never said that the planet could recover when the Lavos spawn were gone. I actually forgot to write my extra line in there, I though I had wrote it.
But either way, to your argument, if Lavos Spawn are drying the planet of energy and the planet is dying, then what are they feeding on?
Lavos wouldn't leave them on an empty, lifeless shell -.-

By the way...are we entirely certain that the seeds found in the Arris Dome food storage section are, in fact, the seedlings of the magical plant? Now that I think about it I'm not sure this was ever confirmed. (Not that I really doubt it is, because I don't, but it is something we should confirm before quibbling over this even more.)
I think a while ago we confirmed that it was the seed. Since the seed was never used any other time, and it looks just like the one in Zeal, and the very fact that it's growing made us think that it was so.

Actually, I am taking scale into account, and no, there would not be "thousands" of survivors. We're talking hundreds at most, and more likely naught over 100 across the entire world. Remember, these survivors would be forced to live on the Entertron, and as powerful as that device is, it could not maintain that many people for three hundred years. Furthermore, you need several thousand to approach a reasonable gene pool, and that's at minimum...you should really try for closer to 10,000 to ensure no potential genetic defects from inbreeding.

The domes that survived, even taking scale into account, are not the large city domes. Arris Dome certainly looked like a research station, and Bangor Dome and Trann Dome both appeared to be outposts, possibly--nay, probably--military outposts, which would explain how they could survive the attack when whole continents could not. Furthermore, let's not assume anything...we go by what we see, and by what we can reasonably conclude based on what we see. You're making a blind assumption that they have ventilation and a fresh supply of oxygen when, again, I point out that all of the domes were flooded with dust.
Of course it can maintain people for 300 years. All you need to be in there is for like 30 seconds, and you've had a full days worth of sleep, regeneration, etc. You're just hungry. And people have lived that way for 300 years.
Furthermore, if there were many deaths, it'd be on the Day of Lavos, after that the people would respawn after time. Also, it seems that the air would have gotten clearer from the original attack. All that debris would have totally made the planet black, but it's not that way in 2300AD. Either way, those domes are huge, and like bunkers. People would be protected. Ad as to the ventilation, it's working obviously because the whole world still has electricity :/

HAH! HAH! I've got you! I have freaking GOT YOU! You just admitted this, and as such you must now admit that the Planet is dying and cannot recover! Because, as you say, anything stated, unless proven otherwise, is fact. And the Mother Brain's statement can be proven incorrect. Therefore you just admitted your argument fails. But, to humour you, I will still address the rest of your argument since you're not going to actually accept this...
You fail at trying to insult my intelligence...
It's still not stated explicitly that the planet is dying.
And because Mother Brain is in the future of the ruined world, she's the only one who can assess the damage and see if the planet will recover. GG.

Anyway, i'm going to stop arguing here. It's quite boring when it's just you and me. Need more input at any rate.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 05:31:09 pm by Zaperking »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2007, 06:20:39 pm »
Kyronea, you're doing what Chrono'99 and Sentenal have done before. It's futile.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2007, 10:56:48 pm »
Kyronea, you're doing what Chrono'99 and Sentenal have done before. It's futile.
I know, Zeality, but I can't give it up...my pride, my stubborness, and the truth are on the line, and I will not just abandon this, not when it might make others who aren't reading so closely think I've given up and accepted defeat. It would shame the analysis section and this website.

But thank you, though.
Anyway, i'm going to stop arguing here. It's quite boring when it's just you and me. Need more input at any rate.

Oh, but I am not. Not by a long shot.

It's trying to change its past, it doesn't mean its dying. Planets don't just die.
It's trying to change its past because it is dying. Planets can die if they are spiritual, biological entities like this one. You're thinking our own reality, not the Chronoverse. Keep. Up.

The simple fact that the planet has an atmosphere and life means that it's continue to live
And as I've repeatedly stated, both only mean that it is barely hanging on as of 2300 A.D, and when it dies, both disappear.
Do you think another meteor the size of Texas will end life on Earth? The simple answer is no
Irrelevent. We are discussing the Chronoverse Planet, not Earth.
, and after time, the planet will recover and life will emerge. Same as there.
Nope.
[ And if the planet was dying, it'd still already be dead then. If Lavos transcends all time, then the planet would be dead from any time period that he landed.
Your premise relies on the one incorrect statement that Lavos transcends time. He does not transcend time. He lives outside of it in a parallel timeline in his Pocket Dimension. He can access it from any time, but since he is not stupid, he would want to keep the Planet alive as long as possible to ensure the maximum in both genetic potential and food.
And not just that, but even in 1999AD, there were forests everywhere.
Irrelevant. That map is based on the 600 A.D. map with the 1000 A.D. tileset and cannot be taken as a true map of the world as of 1999 A.D.
It's just Lavos' attack that scared the planet.
Not scarred, but dealt the true blow that would mean death for the Planet. Prior to that the Planet was holding on, fighting him off or otherwise doing something to keep living well. Obviously this is what happens because the Planet does not die after Lavos is killed. Therefore the Day of Lavos event is the turning point that essentially deals the deathblow. Whatever hope the Planet has for survival after that is eliminated by the Lavos Spawn feeding on its remaining energy.

Irrelevant.
Not irrelevant: understanding of how things work. I'm so sorry you refuse to accept the information.
You keep thinking that the CT world is like our world, so quite frankly, I can't argue with you.
I'm saying that certain aspects that have not been shown to work otherwise work like our own world. We know that world has DNA and genetics are the basis of life. We also know the extent of magical power. What we don't know is how the atmosphere works, how geology works, ect ect ect. As such, what else can we assume? After all, as many have pointed out, the Chronoverse Planet is based on Earth, and apart from the differences shown, such as the Planet itself being alive, spirituality, magic, and so on, we have to assume that things work the way they would work on our own planet, and if that disagrees with what you're trying to argue then so be it: that doesn't matter. Facts are facts, Zaper.
And aslong as you keep thinking that, i'm still right.
No, you are not, as I said above.
The planet recovered from Lavos' crash that killed off the reptites and caused an ice age for millions of years, and as did our planet.
The crash was Lavos burrowing into the Planet's core and forming his Pocket Dimension you idiot. Come on, Zaper, you can't possibly be this stupid. Lavos wanted the Planet alive! He was anywhere from 6 to 65,000,000 years younger then! He was not an entity that could have slain the Planet then! At the time it was, at most, like a meteor falling to the Planet...a harsh wound, but not a fatal one by any means.

And as for the ice age, from what I recall that didn't last millions of years, but then the statistics are confusing when it comes to the Chronoverse Planet...going from 65,000,000 B.C. to 12,000 B.C. suggests--vaguely--that an Ice Age existed all that time, but that's ridiculous from a scientific standpoint. All we know is that an Ice Age was in occurance when we arrived, something that for all we know might have been caused by Zeal Kingdom blocking large parts of the sky for hundreds of years.

The simple fact that the humans are living is like all that matters. And they're surviving, and they can live in a ruined future.

I never said that the planet could recover when the Lavos spawn were gone. I actually forgot to write my extra line in there, I though I had wrote it.
Translation: I messed up and saved face.
But either way, to your argument, if Lavos Spawn are drying the planet of energy and the planet is dying, then what are they feeding on?
Lavos wouldn't leave them on an empty, lifeless shell -.-
...I've stated it so many times that I cannot believe you're actually asking this question...okay, let's say it again:

December 31st, 1999 A.D.: Lavos rises up, goes KABOOM and the world is destroyed, dealing a potentially fatal blow to the Planet. This is something the Planet might recover from--and I say might and emphasize it--, but it would need time and to be left completely alone. Unfortunately for the Planet, what energy it has left after the Day of Lavos event is being sucked away by the Spawn.

So no, Lavos did not leave an empty shell, he left a broken and battered one that had enough food for his spawn to reach maturity and head out into space, and it's that remaining feeding process that finally kills the Planet.  And before you cry out that I just admitted my argument was wrong with the possibility of recovery, please note that no Lavoid Attack would be without a followup of spawn, because that's the whole point of the attack, to ensure a safe spawning ground. And as such, it's a continuing process...while the initial attack might have been survivable, the feeding by the spawn ensures death.

I think a while ago we confirmed that it was the seed. Since the seed was never used any other time, and it looks just like the one in Zeal, and the very fact that it's growing made us think that it was so.
Fair enough.

Of course it can maintain people for 300 years. All you need to be in there is for like 30 seconds, and you've had a full days worth of sleep, regeneration, etc. You're just hungry. And people have lived that way for 300 years.
Oh of course it could maintain people for 300 years, nevermind the fact that the Enertron is not some kind of magical perpetual motion machine and it needs energy from somewhere. If it had tried to maintains thousands or even hundreds over that time, it would have failed. No piece of hardware could work for that long under such constant use.
Furthermore, if there were many deaths, it'd be on the Day of Lavos, after that the people would respawn after time.
I would say about 99% of the population of humanity would be wiped out, and 100% of the Mystic population. What little is left might respawn for a short time, but we're already talking the potential for inbreeding, and that can cause serious genetic defects. Just ask any dog or horse breeder, or a doctor, for why.
Also, it seems that the air would have gotten clearer from the original attack.
You don't know that. We have no idea how much dust was thrown up in the actual event...all we have is what remains after the event. I do agree at least some would dissapate, though, as it is logical.
All that debris would have totally made the planet black, but it's not that way in 2300AD.
I don't know if it would have made the whole Planet black...but you're probably closer to correct than not with this statement.
Either way, those domes are huge, and like bunkers.
Not that huge, but yes, they are like bunkers, or else they wouldn't have survived at all...it's a miracle that some did.
People would be protected.
Only those in the domes at the time. You forget: the Day of Lavos event occurred over a couple minutes at most....even if there was teleportation technology--which there is no evidence of--almost everyone would be left stranded out in the open, which is part of why I cut my estimate down to about a hundred or so...maybe 200 after the initial attack, but no more than a hundred by 2300 A.D.
Ad as to the ventilation, it's working obviously because the whole world still has electricity :/
...yes...the ventilation MUST be working because some pieces of equipment have electricity! Nevermind the fact that the dust is never expunged, or the possibility that most of that equipment is running on back-up energy sources, or that the only domes shown to have any electricity are Arris and Genocidome, and Genocidome is explainable by the maintaince of robots--same with the factory. As for Arris? It's a research outpost of some kind, as we can determine from the layout of the computers and such. Servers and research computers in our own time have back-up power supplies, so thusly so would this one. Since the computer was most likely not running for 300 years straight but simply activated by Lucca, the power supply would be intact.

By the way, did you forget that in that same dome, refrigeration had failed at some point? Your magical electricity garnering obviously failed there...and don't forget Proto Dome too!

As for the Enertron in all of the domes, it must have its own power source, because otherwise it couldn't keep working. We don't see a single power generator other than the one in the Factory, and obviously that one wasn't broadcasting power anywhere or else Proto Dome would have power from the beginning. Furthermore, what would they be generating power from? The only source I could see potentially still working is tidal energy--and any tidal station might be burnt away from acidified oceans--or some form of hydro station, possibly an underground river source that remained untainted, which would explain where the Sewer Access is getting its water from and where the humans are obtaining their water supply, since even with something that could give them energy, they still need water.

You fail at trying to insult my intelligence...
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. Believe me, if I was I could do far worse than crow victory.
It's still not stated explicitly that the planet is dying.
Once again, for the idiot who can't understand simple logic:
They say the Entity is dying. The Entity is the Planet. Therefore the Planet is dying.
And because Mother Brain is in the future of the ruined world, she's the only one who can assess the damage and see if the planet will recover. GG.
Ah, yes, because clearly an A.I. that was running a robotic production factory would have access to the necessary technology to research that possibility, and would still be interested in doing so when it is corrupted and genocidal! Yes, good going, Zaper.

cronopolis

• Porrean (+50)
  • Time travel.....pretty confusing isn't it
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2007, 05:03:15 pm »
If I may interrupt, I'd like to give you Kyronea, the award for the worlds longest known post, and the award for most stubborn mule :P <jk>

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2007, 06:51:51 pm »
Kyronea, this is pretty much opinion. Your interpretation of the vague clues the game gives. Most things we base our opinions on is hinted at, and not directly stated.That's why there are so many theories on anything...I leave you with this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YG1-B1yqu4M