Author Topic: A Planet Cannot Recover After a Lavoid Attack  (Read 18448 times)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Re: A Planet Cannot Recover After a Lavoid Attack
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2007, 03:19:32 am »
We know that in the Lavos timeline--obviously--Magus was slain by Lavos. As such, Medina would be in the shape we first saw it in. Would it not be too surprising if there was some sort of cult devoted to the worship of Lavos as some mystical being? As such, would there not be legends at least somewhat known to educated people? Thusly, I say that he merely suspected this was the Lavos of that cult, which would, amusingly enough, be worshipping the real Lavos. No proof for this of course other than what we know of Medina in the Lavos timeline, but I like to think it would add a bit of culture, however dark, to the Mystics.
That makes more sense than none, and sounds pretty good.
By the way, Magus just dissapeared to them. They thought that he abandoned them, and wondered why he didn't summon Lavos :/

I'm going to take a brief moment and check that line in the retranslation, but from what I remember of that scene I think he was talking about sheltered areas in Arris Dome itself, since it seemed he was just talking to the people of Arris Dome. Given, agian, how quick the attack occurred, the odds of many, many more people surviving than I suggested is unlikely. What "ShelterDomes" probably means in reality is a sheltered part of the dome designed to withstand attacks on, say, a nuclear level, which would be close to adequate to protect from Lavos.

Ah, here we go, some support:
Quote from: Retranslation
Director: All hands, evacuate to the shelter dome.....

See how it says "All hands"? That measns all of the crew/everyone in Arris Dome. While it was tossed into one word in the North American translation...I have no idea. Most of the other endings were translated poorly anyway.
Meh, I mean the point still holds. They'd probably sound some sort of alarm all over the world for people to get down into the sheltered parts, especially if people saw fire raining from the sky. They'd probably have some time to get down there before the dome covering gave way, at any rate. And by the looks of most of the domes that are still functioning, there must have been heavy protection, especially on the factories.

I'm going to take a brief moment and check that line in the retranslation, but from what I remember of that scene I think he was talking about sheltered areas in Arris Dome itself, since it seemed he was just talking to the people of Arris Dome. Given, agian, how quick the attack occurred, the odds of many, many more people surviving than I suggested is unlikely. What "ShelterDomes" probably means in reality is a sheltered part of the dome designed to withstand attacks on, say, a nuclear level, which would be close to adequate to protect from Lavos.

Ah, here we go, some support:
Quote from: Retranslation
Director: All hands, evacuate to the shelter dome.....

See how it says "All hands"? That measns all of the crew/everyone in Arris Dome. While it was tossed into one word in the North American translation...I have no idea. Most of the other endings were translated poorly anyway.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2007, 08:40:04 am »
That makes more sense than none, and sounds pretty good.
Finally, we can actually agree on something.
By the way, Magus just dissapeared to them. They thought that he abandoned them, and wondered why he didn't summon Lavos :/
They did still worship him, though, and if anything, abandonment issues might lead to more of a Lavos-based cult than there would be otherwise.

Meh, I mean the point still holds. They'd probably sound some sort of alarm all over the world for people to get down into the sheltered parts, especially if people saw fire raining from the sky. They'd probably have some time to get down there before the dome covering gave way, at any rate. And by the looks of most of the domes that are still functioning, there must have been heavy protection, especially on the factories.
Oh, I don't doubt there were alarms of some sort for shelter in many parts of the world. Given the domes it's quite possible there was a cold war of sorts going on between Guardia, Porre, and Medina--and possibly Choras, which given how hard it was hit by Lavos makes some sense--I would certainly see some sort of alarm calling for shelter.

But you're not realizing how huge a world is, or how many people can inhabit it with technology at the state it was at. We're talking millions upon millions of people. Can you imagine trying to evacuate the sum total of the United States population into sheltered areas all over the world? And remember, you're talking a time span of a few minutes for the world to go from pristine and green to 2300 A.D. style ruined.

They definitely built many of the domes quite well, though I still say the domes and factories that survived were run by the military, because the military would be the ones to harden things the most. Given what was left--such as the R-Y series factory, which builds robots for some form of military purpose, given how strong they are--it's the only sensible conclusion, really. One has to wonder why none of the huge city-domes survived, if at least partially, if they were ALL built as well as, say, Arris Dome. Even Arris Dome looks like it was partially destroyed.

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2007, 01:02:41 pm »
The Mystics in 1000AD in the Lavos timeline certainly knew about Lavos--there was a cult dedicated to Magus that told the Heroes that Magus almost summoned forth/made (I don't remember which) a giant monster called "Lavos" to destroy the Humans. That's why you have to defeat Magus in the first place. (I assume Magus told the Mystics that Lavos was a secret weapon to justify the amount of time and resources necessary for summoinng him.

Kyronea: You actually made some really good point as to why the area explored in CT had to be small. And of course it's true that you're exploring an entire world, as all the refutations of your island chain theory stated--but, unless I recall incorrectly (I can't find that thread) none of them claimed that the area is CT had to be large, just that it wasn't an island chain.

Besides, there IS in-game evidence pointing to the Chrono planet being small. Look at the height and weights given in CC, especially for females, and tell me, that, under Earth-normal gravity, a 5'7" 104lb girl (Janice) would be considered "plump," or that a 5'9" 97lb woman (Luccia) would be considered "alive." Clearly, they're living on a tiny planet with very small gravity. :wink:

DaVoid

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2007, 04:32:27 am »
I brought this up earlier in a post 2 years ago. We can just connect the dots with RD and CC, and it all fits together. Schala is pretty much an arbiter, able to control the Mammon Machine. The Mammon Machine has the flame in it. The Mammon Machine is brought closer to Lavos, who awakens in it's presence for any reason (Maybe it wants to take it back and become powerful or something?). This both happened in CT and RD (just without the flame being mentioned in CT) and is a motif in CC with the flame being the medium to evolve Lavos with an arbiter.
CT also supports a premature version of the Flame, with Belthasar stating that in 3,000,000BC, humans changed forever when they made contact with a red shard (the flame). So we can assume that back in 1996, the Flame concept wasn't fully designed, and they fully integrated it in CC and kind of added the background of it in RD.
Interesting concept :O

Perhaps Lavos wanted the flame back to stop humans from having magical powers if it was indeed the source.  Because in the next time period we have access to after this event the only human with access to magic is Magus.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2007, 10:50:49 am »
really missed out on thi sthread.... and dont have the time to read it all at once.. so please pardon me if somethings already been said

As far as the planet recovering. Your looking at several hundred million years to put the planet back int oa state ready to support life again another several hundred years of life for most of the life on teh planet to be able to reevolve back into its current state. and while half a billion years may not seem like much when your talking planetary scale. our own sun is expected to have a remaining life of several hundred million years.. at most 1 or two billion. The star that planet orbits is most likely the same... you really think it wants to spend a quarter of its remaining life turning itself back into what it was? and this isnt taking into account that the core would cool to far to be able to create an em field around the planet long before the sun went out. no em field no life. no sun no life.
Sure the planet could recover but who the hell would want to wait that long.. on top of that. whos to say that one of the baby lavoids would not remain behind and burrow down ready to do it all over again.?

And remember, you're talking a time span of a few minutes for the world to go from pristine and green to 2300 A.D. style ruined.

I highly doubt the one atack ruined everything.. the one attack just set everything up for destruction. Killed power generation facilities maybe knocked out water pumps.. but it was the assualts after the initial bombardment that did it. the waves of monsters, lavoids, and lavos himself destroying civilization as they knew it. If had just been the one assault they could have rebuilt in a number of a few years. but this was not the case.

DaVoid

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2007, 12:19:45 am »
You can't compare our world to the chrono world to state that their world would eventually get better.  Yes it got better after Lavos first landed but that was pretty much the exact same as a meteor strike.  When Lavos erupted in 1999 it had drained the life energy of the planet over the course of 65+ million years.  Something our world has never had to experience.

However I have to agree with the assumption that the chrono planet was smarter then average planets.

First lets ask, why would the planet wait until it was almost dead before using time portals to try and save itself?  It clearly has the ability to see into the future(and other versions of the future, dinopolis for example) so it should known as soon as Lavos had arrived that this thing was going to end up killing it.  The only reason I can think of was that it was unable to create the gates while Lavos was inside of it exerting some form of control or restraint on what the planet was capable of doing.

Now with a Lavoid preventing a planet from recruiting powerful warriors from across the planets history who are aware of the threat a lavoid presents(Lavos' best defense was remaining completely unknown tot he outside world until it was too late) most planets would probably try to futilly fight back against it.  Wasting even more of its energy so that when the DoLE(day of lavos event) occurred normal planets would probably lack the energy to create time gates and most likely just go into a coma from the attack while the spawn finish it off.

The chorno planet however must have realized this and instead of actively fighting Lavos it tried to conserve as much of its energy as possible so that when the DoLE occurred it was in a position to mount a retroactive defense by opening the gates for Crono and Co. to defeat Lavos.

If most planets did this then the lavoid species would not last long.  However I do believe that the planet was going to die off completely once the spawn were done finishing it off.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2007, 06:43:55 pm »
Imm not so sure... a species, even lavos, primary function is reprodution and continuation of the species.. In teh case of chrono earth I think that while if one of teh spawn burrowed into the earth it would not survive a second assault on itself, it would eventually recover. matter is a form of coalesced energy and since energy can neither be created or destroyed.. and lavos was sure to have waste by product onc ehe and his spawn all left((or in lavos case most likely died)) and every thing rotted and erroded((and weve already seen that their are micro organisms otherwise nothing would rot)) the micro organisms would start everything all over slowly re changing the atmosphere and life would once again spread.. not to mention the fact that their are seeds that can lay dormant for centuries in the right conditions. Not even lavos would possibly be able to completly drain teh life force from teh planet.