Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 169331 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #720 on: June 07, 2008, 03:47:38 am »
It's harder to cry watching it on a computer. There may be a moment that I'm moved to tears, and it will come more easily if I'm in the living room.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #721 on: June 08, 2008, 03:54:05 am »
That I've been trying to figure out for two weeks now whether the physics behind my anti-gravity design is sound. Argh. It's irritating when the numbers and your instinct are all in conflict (that is, the numbers say it should work; my instinct says there's no bloody way something so cool could.) Yes, it's been stressing me out.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 09, 2008, 11:00:18 am »
That I've been trying to figure out for two weeks now whether the physics behind my anti-gravity design is sound. Argh. It's irritating when the numbers and your instinct are all in conflict (that is, the numbers say it should work; my instinct says there's no bloody way something so cool could.) Yes, it's been stressing me out.

Impressive; I didn't know that you also worked in engineering/physics. Our very own Renaissance Man (suppose that means you are always dressed up when you go to a RenFest).

Quote from: Malcom Reynolds
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:02:24 am by Thought »

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 09, 2008, 11:57:27 am »
Wow, Krispin's working on an anti gravity device? Amazing...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #724 on: June 09, 2008, 03:19:16 pm »
Impressive; I didn't know that you also worked in engineering/physics. Our very own Renaissance Man (suppose that means you are always dressed up when you go to a RenFest).

Actually, I am technically an engineer, ya know? My field is Mechanical Engineering... that's what I have my undergrad degree in. BSc MecE '06. Now I'm doing all the Classics stuff, but all my old engineering isn't exactly lost on me. And no I don't dress up or go to Festival type things. Though I do consider myself a Renaissance man, after a fashion or, rather, a polymath. Kinda ambivalent about the Sciences and the Arts... can do both equally, for the most part. Unfortunately makes it rather difficult to stay focussed on one thing, ya know? And that's what I hate for the day: that I have this decided lack of discipline. Argh.

By the way, just so you know, the 'anti-gravity' probably won't work. It's just too simple not to have been tried and dismissed before. And it's not anti-gravity per say, in that it doesn't annul gravity or anything, I guess, but more of a way of getting a sort of internal lift without things like rockets and all. Basically just simple mechanics and dynmanics. But as it could get things to hover etc. without propellors or rockets, it would be neat anyway. I'm trying to build a little concept model. I'll tell you if it works or not.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 09, 2008, 03:55:40 pm »
Let us know when you've started work on the Telepod, Daniel. :shock:

I'm incredibly interested in your counter-gravity physics theory. Do explain it to us sometime. If it doesn't work in real life, it will probably sound great in fiction.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 09, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »
[...]and then try art and math and science and anything new[...]

Ah, the Douglas Adams approach. I have seen some art projects that were so horrible as to seemingly bend the laws of time, but none that were so bad as to bend the laws of gravity.

... Though, come to think of it, there have been some poetry that has the uncanny to attract objects when read allowed. Seems to center around rotten fruit, however.

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 09, 2008, 09:30:55 pm »
Basically just simple mechanics and dynmanics. But as it could get things to hover etc. without propellors or rockets, it would be neat anyway. I'm trying to build a little concept model. I'll tell you if it works or not.
Are you by chance talking about the 'machines' that take advantage of the electrostatic force to float by passing huge amounts of electricity through thin wires(generating a field) in a balanced construct? I always thought those things were neat.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #728 on: June 10, 2008, 01:51:16 am »
Basically just simple mechanics and dynmanics. But as it could get things to hover etc. without propellors or rockets, it would be neat anyway. I'm trying to build a little concept model. I'll tell you if it works or not.
Are you by chance talking about the 'machines' that take advantage of the electrostatic force to float by passing huge amounts of electricity through thin wires(generating a field) in a balanced construct? I always thought those things were neat.

No, not at all. Heh. A little bit more along the lines of my own expertise, as it were. And I was never all too good at electrical type stuff. If it works... well, I've gotta keep the design to myself in case it does, eh? But if it fails, I'll tell you all what I intended, 'kay?

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 10, 2008, 01:58:44 am »
No, not at all. Heh. A little bit more along the lines of my own expertise, as it were. And I was never all too good at electrical type stuff. If it works... well, I've gotta keep the design to myself in case it does, eh? But if it fails, I'll tell you all what I intended, 'kay?
Fair enough. All the same, I wish you success with your endeavor.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 15, 2008, 05:18:38 am »
A good bouquet of flowers are so over price it seems...*sigh*

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 15, 2008, 05:39:54 am »
I hate how my nose refuses to stop bleeding.

this is like the fifth fucking day,

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 15, 2008, 05:52:24 am »
I hate how I found out not all Tomahawks are dull to the touch the hard way.

You better call Mario 'cause you've just been <<1-up'd>>!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #733 on: June 15, 2008, 09:40:22 am »
I hate that I can't find a goddamn Awful Fantasy III patch ANYWHERE!!! The mirrors on www.somethingawful.com are fuct too! >_<

x_XTacTX_x

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 15, 2008, 12:44:49 pm »
I hate how everyone expects me to call my deadbeat father on father's day. I'm not going to. Get it through your head.