Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 171530 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #660 on: May 16, 2008, 03:29:32 pm »
Meh. The Network cancelled Firefly, which is quite possibly one of the best pieces of science fiction ever (in any media form).

So can I just say that I just now fell in love with Firefly?  I remember hearing about it when it debuted... and when it got cancelled... and when Serenity came out, and I always ASSUMED I would like it, but I didn't know any fans and it never got exposed to me.

So earlier today I was flipping through channels (I don't watch TV often) and I ended up watching three episodes.  To say the least, I just bought the Season One boxed set...  So consider me a fan.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 16, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »
I always liked Firefly as it was a unique blend of western and space sci-fi; to say the least I was hooked from the first episode on... until they canceled it that is... :x

However, I bought the DVD set a while back; found it rather neat that it had some of the 'unaired' episodes on it.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 16, 2008, 04:03:51 pm »
So earlier today I was flipping through channels (I don't watch TV often) and I ended up watching three episodes.  To say the least, I just bought the Season One boxed set...  So consider me a fan.

Shiny!

And I believe the correct terminology is either Flan or Browncoat.

But yes... Firefly. The dialogue of that show puts Shakespeare to shame.

Ah! Curse Fox's sudden but inevitable betrayal!

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2008, 04:08:52 pm »
Ah! Curse Fox's sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Nice!  :lol:

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
Speaking of Fox, has anyone seen the documentary "Outfoxed"?  Good view, I think it is on Google video.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:32 pm »
Speaking of Fox, has anyone seen the documentary "Outfoxed"?  Good view, I think it is on Google video.
That's the one detailing Fox's owner's and, derivatively, his company's  corruption and biased reporting, right? Really, I think that's the case across the board as everyone's more readily apt to push their own agenda than provide the 'truth'.
Put short: There's no news source that will tell 100% 'truth', 100% of the time(or even close to it, for that matter.); it's up to oneself to find out what's the 'truth' and strive to find it--not to be led around like sheep by some news network.

That's the real problem with society.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2008, 04:52:07 pm »
I quite agree.

An easy way to find a bias in a media source like a newspaper or online news site is to look at the photos they choose for political figures. If the news source doesn't like a particular political figure, the pictures choosen for that person are usually quite unflattering (it seems like using pictures of politicians in mid-sentance is a favorite). In reverse, if the news source likes a particular political figure, it is amazing how nice the pictures almost always are; taken from a bit of an angle to give the politician a larger than life look, always when they are smiling or, when appropriate, brooding deeply.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 16, 2008, 05:03:44 pm »
That's the one detailing Fox's owner's and, derivatively, his company's  corruption and biased reporting, right? Really, I think that's the case across the board as everyone's more readily apt to push their own agenda than provide the 'truth'.
Put short: There's no news source that will tell 100% 'truth', 100% of the time(or even close to it, for that matter.); it's up to oneself to find out what's the 'truth' and strive to find it--not to be led around like sheep by some news network.

That's the real problem with society.

It is still a good view.  And yea, I don't get my news from any news outlet in the States.  Seems like the least biased stuff comes from other countries. 

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2008, 05:09:45 pm »
It is still a good view.  And yea, I don't get my news from any news outlet in the States.  Seems like the least biased stuff comes from other countries. 
The problem still, to some degree of effect, applies to the rest of the world, nevertheless. When one relies on 'truth' solely from another, instead of searching for it, it is as if one is attempting to clasp the moon from the water, so to speak.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 16, 2008, 05:18:16 pm »
The problem still, to some degree of effect, applies to the rest of the world, nevertheless. When one relies on 'truth' solely from another, instead of searching for it, it is as if one is attempting to clasp the moon from the water, so to speak.

Everyone has an agenda.  And I didn't mention a single source, I said "other", implying more than one, unles you were making a general statement.  But yea, I agree with your last few posts.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 16, 2008, 05:31:07 pm »
Everyone has an agenda.  And I didn't mention a single source, I said "other", implying more than one, unles you were making a general statement.  But yea, I agree with your last few posts.
A general statement.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #671 on: May 17, 2008, 04:33:38 am »
Sad thing in, Constantinople is Istanbul and it was even back in the day. Like Rome before it, people just called Constantinople "The City," except, you know, in Greek. So when people were going "to/in the city" they were "eis ten Polin"
(εις την Πόλιν). Or, in other words, Is-ten-Pol. But that is enough history for now.

THAT'S where Istanbul comes from? That is so neat. I'd not realized that. Thanks for sharing that.

Korro

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Does a time egg hatch a time bird?
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 01, 2008, 03:49:52 pm »
OOoooh, I hate people who hate stuff just because it's popular.
AH! it has a bunch of fans so it must be lame and overrated!

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 02, 2008, 10:00:05 am »
OOoooh, I hate people who hate stuff just because it's popular.
AH! it has a bunch of fans so it must be lame and overrated!

Some of those people you refer to don't hate it "just because it has a lot of fans".  Some of those people do not like popular stuff because some of it is tailor made to lowest common denominator which usually results in a mind numbingly dull and uninspiring experience.  But I hate people who hate stuff just because it is popular too ...or because it is "cool" to not like it for the sake of being "cool".

I hate spilling coffee.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 02, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »
I hate how some people think that the "popular" items (art, entertainment, etc) that appeal even to the lowest common denominator must in turn be mind numbingly dull and uninspired.

In turn, I hate how some people think that rarified items that appeal only to the upper class must have intrinsic value for that reason alone.

Supreme cultural value derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical elitist monologue.

However, having said such, I still believe in Sturgeon's Law