Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 171468 times)

Daniel Krispin

Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #630 on: May 12, 2008, 10:16:54 pm »
Why would you need a calculator for this? I guess maybe for the trigonometry. Eh... no. Calculator doesn't help you. It's just that, see, the middle bottom angle there is 180-2x, eh? Well, the entirety of the left triangle is 180. So call the unknown N, it's 180 = x + 180 - 2x + N, you get N = x. Both are isocoles triangles. Therefore AD = BD = BC = 6.

True enough for that problem, but often they'll ask you to solve trig questions that require previous memorization of what the sine and cosine of 60o are, etc., etc. If it's been years since you committed those babies to memory, you're pretty much farked. In my math-monkey island analogy, I'd be coconutted to death. Unless there's a way of deriving those facts on the fly? I'm open to suggestions. The best I've come up with is that you must, at the very least, memorize what a 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangle "look like" in terms of side lengths.

This is turning into The Compendium Guide to the GRE.

Ah, I think there is a way of doing it. Whatchamacallit, Taylor Polynomials. Not that I remember how to do them, but I think you can derive the solutions that way. It's the way calculators work, too. Anyway, what this all is testing is your ability not to memorize methods more than your ability to abstractly problem solve. I had no bloody clue what an 'addition table' was, but I had no problem rationalizing how to think through it because it seemed to be a logical solution to the problem at hand. Maybe it's my engineering training that does that. Actually, that's probably the main distinction between university and something like a technical college: a technical school teaches you specific skillsets. A university teaches you a base way to think so that you can apply it to multiple scenerios. I think that sort of general understanding is what the test was attempting to figure through: not if you can jump through the hoops of specific formulas, but if you can think in a general mathematical way in order to reason through solutions even of problems you've not been exposed to. The triangle one is a perfect example of that.

Though I must say, I wasn't all that great at higher level mathematics, simply because I'm better at the directly applied formulae (like in dynamics) rather than the abstract thinking that, say, multiple variable differential equations *shudder* require. That sort of stuff taxed my upper mental limit. Though, ironically, in things like languages and translation I'm not a 'grammar' type translator, and don't think step by step, but am always trying to contextualize and think here there and everywhere. Hm. Anyway, pure mathematics were never my strong suit. The basic calculus which you used to, say, derive the equations of velocity... that stuff was fun. But when it got to stuff that's difficult to visualize, I lost it. (Though I must say, some of the basic stuff can be a heck of a lot of fun... like using integration to get the formula for the area of a triangle. For simplicity, if you take a right angle one, and put the angle on the origin of an x/y grid... say, make the triangle A high and B wide... well, derive the sloped line (which would then be... y=(A/-B)x + A) ... A/B being the slope) you get integration of this, which would be something like integral (y) = .5(A/-B)x^2 +Ax = (0.5A/-0.5B)x^2 + Ax... from x=0 to x=B, therefore...
integral = area = .5(A/-B)B^2 +AB = -0.5AB + AB = .5AB... therefore, as we've been told since children, area of a triangle is 0.5A*B. Cool, eh? I thought that awesome when I first learned it.

What's a GRE, by the way? I assume it means something like General Requirement Exam. We don't have anything like that in Canada that I'm aware of.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:23 pm »
I just took my AP Calc A.B. test and I think i did pretty good on the thing as a whole. Free response was a pain at the end.
God, I hated loathed those!

Quote from: Daniel Krispin
What's a GRE, by the way? I assume it means something like General Requirement Exam. We don't have anything like that in Canada that I'm aware of.
Graduate Record Examination; it's a standardized test for applicants to graduate school programs.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 13, 2008, 05:20:39 am »
The problem for a testing situation is that Taylor polynomials not only take time to derive, they only provide an approximate evaluation (as they are power series).  There isn't really a good way to derive trigonometric values on the fly except for 45-degree angles; by the Pythagorean theorem, it is intuitively obvious that both the sine and cosine of a 45-degree angle are 1/(sqrt)2.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 13, 2008, 10:24:43 am »
This kind of math is not needed for business school.  Unless you are in the business of creating math books?

Which business school is this for, if I may ask?

I hate linear algebra.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:26:18 am by placidchap »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:58 am »
Actually, that's probably the main distinction between university and something like a technical college: a technical school teaches you specific skillsets. A university teaches you a base way to think so that you can apply it to multiple scenerios.

That is the main theoretical distinction between universities and technical colleges; unfortunately, it doesn’t always play out that way (and Universities still have a heavy focus on route learning).

As for what I hate... any math homework that has more than about 5 problems. That is enough to test one's ability to solve a specific problem type. Either one knows how to do it and 5 is almost too much, or one doesn't know how to do it and more will just solidify an incorrect understanding and promote a general distaste for the subject.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:41:25 am by Thought »

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 13, 2008, 10:49:14 am »
Graduate Record Examination; it's a standardized test for applicants to graduate school programs.

I think the GRE is in Canada but as far as I know, the GMAT is for business[management] schools and the GRE is for most everything else...  Do you have to take both Zeality? 

Where abouts in Canada do you live, Daniel?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:57:52 am by placidchap »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 13, 2008, 12:37:03 pm »
Just the GMAT. And yeah, I never used any of that math except for the stuff involved in business statistics.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #637 on: May 13, 2008, 03:05:13 pm »

I think the GRE is in Canada but as far as I know, the GMAT is for business[management] schools and the GRE is for most everything else...  Do you have to take both Zeality? 

Western areas, that is, Alberta. As far as I've noticed, it's not. I've just applied to and been accepted in a Master's program in Classics, and I've not had to take anything of that fashion. In the same way you guys have SATs. We don't have those either. We have our diploma exams at the end of grade 12, but that's something rather different.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 13, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
Western areas, that is, Alberta. As far as I've noticed, it's not. I've just applied to and been accepted in a Master's program in Classics, and I've not had to take anything of that fashion. In the same way you guys have SATs. We don't have those either. We have our diploma exams at the end of grade 12, but that's something rather different.

I'm aware of the location of Alberta.  I currently attend UWO over in the Eastern parts, namely Ontario.
It is a department by department, school by school basis from what I can tell.  For example, UWO's Grad Psych program requests the GRE while the Grad Classics @ UWO does not.  And looking on google at other universities, it is the similar.  So yes Canada does have it, but from the looks of it, gradutate studies in Classics is not one to utilize the test.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #639 on: May 13, 2008, 07:40:18 pm »

I'm aware of the location of Alberta.  I currently attend UWO over in the Eastern parts, namely Ontario.
It is a department by department, school by school basis from what I can tell.  For example, UWO's Grad Psych program requests the GRE while the Grad Classics @ UWO does not.  And looking on google at other universities, it is the similar.  So yes Canada does have it, but from the looks of it, gradutate studies in Classics is not one to utilize the test.

Ah, that makes sense.

You're at UWO, eh? Quite the reputation for a party school, from what I've heard, heh. I've got a friend that went there for her pre-med last year.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #640 on: May 13, 2008, 10:36:31 pm »

I suppose Alberta is on the western half of Canada, but for me, I think of BC as largely being the western part of Canada. But perhaps the notion of a fly-over doesn't really exist in Canada?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #641 on: May 14, 2008, 01:14:54 am »

I suppose Alberta is on the western half of Canada, but for me, I think of BC as largely being the western part of Canada. But perhaps the notion of a fly-over doesn't really exist in Canada?

Well, as we see it BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, are the 'West' as a whole. The rest of the provinces are the *shudder* East. Heh. Yes, East and West have a bit of a rivalry going on. Namely their political centre over there in Ottawa is taking advantage of our economy out here in the west. Hmph.

Anyway, yeah, anything west of Ontario is considered the West as a whole.

And as it is, I do have a certain affinity for BC. I WAS born there, and the hill countries have always had a bit of a larger share of my heart than the prairies. It's too... flat hereabouts.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 14, 2008, 11:41:41 am »
I hate it when news agencies report the findings of some study or experiment but don't provide enough information regarding the study to actually evaluate its significance.

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:23 am »
I hate it when news agencies report the findings of some study or experiment but don't provide enough information regarding the study to actually evaluate its significance.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you there.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 14, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »
I hate the locking of threads.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:24:32 pm by placidchap »