Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 171604 times)

Silver

• Porrean (+50)
  • Resident Code Lyoko Nut
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt gallery
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #420 on: March 18, 2008, 03:28:40 pm »
I hate when I get so distracted I forget to post to the various forums I'm on.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 18, 2008, 04:20:36 pm »
Homework (and I don’t even have it any more), largely because it has no benefit and a lot of cost associated.

When I was still attending public school (I’ve moved on now) I recall that it seemed like I was assigned large amounts of homework (of course, I got around a lot of it by just not doing it), but even at that it seems like there is constantly a call for children to be assigned more and more. In particular, I recall math homework, as it was always time consuming. I remember asking “why” I was assigned homework, but that was always somewhat of a rhetorical question; my teachers assumed it should be assigned; my parents assumed that I should do it, and I assumed that it was just a fact of life.

But I never honestly asked that question, and it was never honestly answered. What if homework, especially as it is usually assigned, doesn’t provide any benefit (or an insignificant benefit) to the students who have to undertake it?

I’ve been reading Alfie Kohn’s “The Homework Myth” in which he deconstructs the arguments and research that support assigning homework. Mind you, this is a somewhat methodological approach; he analyzes the “evidence” and simply shows that it doesn’t prove anything. Perhaps most stunning is Harris Cooper; his research found that “There is no evidence that any amount of homework improves the academic performance of elementary students." Yet Cooper then proceeded to recommend the infamous equation of ten minutes of homework per grade level per night.

Even in High School the benefit of homework is dubious; Cooper’s equation would require about a 28% increase of effort for a 4% increase in grades (and Kohn also addresses the false assumption that grades are an accurate measuring tool for learning).

This should then be weighed against the costs of all this homework: a childhood. All my current interests, hobbies, and passions were developed when I didn’t have homework (though a few of them have had to survive later being incorporated into homework, which is renowned for killing passion). It is only as an “adult” that I’ve had the time to learn to play the piano (well, still learning), learn Greek (still learning), write for fun, and study great thinkers (and hopefully do a little thinking of my own). I ardently wish these interests could have developed when I was younger and learning was easier (language in particular).

I’d highly recommend reading “The Homework Myth” and “The Case Against Homework,” whether you still have homework or not. And always ask what the purpose of any given assignment is. To what purpose is a teacher assigning math problems? What purpose does creating a model of an atom actually serve? Etc.

If I might quote ol' Treebeard: "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men bad enough for such treachery" as homework.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #422 on: March 18, 2008, 11:13:15 pm »
Agreed. Homework always struck me as futile busy work of no benefit to anyone. Like you, I found that I was able to reduce a great deal of my load by ignoring it. Hopefully schools will start working to honestly serve the needs of students, although I'm not holding my breath.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 19, 2008, 01:08:46 am »
The world.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 19, 2008, 10:14:19 am »
Any idea as to what should replace homework, Thought?  Piling more and more on kids is not the way to go, but it should still exist in some form.  The gripe I always had with homework was that it felt completely disconnected from the 'real world'.  Like you said, no one ever really explained 'why'.  There needs to be a lot more practical, hands on approaches, rather than "Do selected exercises from the end of the chapter and we will regurgitate tomorrow."  They really need to incorporate 'real life' aspects of math, science, history etc to really 'complete the circle' of learning.  But that is my opinion.  The case method is a step in that direction, though that is basically for Business students and not all schools offer it.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 19, 2008, 12:04:43 pm »
Agreed Zeality.  The world is a twisted place...~_~

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 19, 2008, 12:20:52 pm »
Piling more and more on kids is not the way to go, but it should still exist in some form.

Why?

I'm not saying that homework shouldn't exist in some form, just that if it is to be assigned there should be a reason. I am an advocate that the assumed position should be that no homework is assigned (and thus, when it is assigned there must be a good reason).

I do agree, subjects should be better related to real life (one of my constant struggles, as I hope to eventually teach History, is how to relate it in a meaningful way), but that has more to do with in-class instruction than homework (a valid topic in itself, however).

As for what should replace homework, nothing. However, as stated sometimes homework might be assigned, but only when the assignments merit it and are likely to produce desirable results. I don't think we can get away from occasionally assigning reading homework, but this would need to be less and teachers would need to take greater care in WHAT is assigned. For English, fewer classics and a wider variety of genres (it is a crime that Literary Fiction is the only genre most English classes cover; expose students to the best each genre has to offer!) I'm glad I read Huck Finn, but it served no purpose to my education while Ender's Game continues to shape my thinking. In History, textbooks need to be abolished (certainly the present incarnations, though I expect reference works would be more useful). Instead, perhaps the teacher should focus on one or two original sources a semester. It is curious that in English, students learn to write, in Math student learn how to solve problems, but in History one has to get to the graduate level to really start learning how to "do history."

Beyond mere reading (again, even that should be limited drastically), larger projects might be good. Perhaps science projects where students collect field data from where they live (finding and identifying the properties of a few plants where they live, or animals, etc). Or a history project in which the student must actually perform historical research (interview living sources about events, such as a grandparent about WWII or what have you). For geometry or the like, perhaps real world measurements (but then again, that could still be performed in class). For most classes, however, I can't think of legitimate forms of homework (which is presumably just because I don't understand those subjects enough to envision such a project).

Silver

• Porrean (+50)
  • Resident Code Lyoko Nut
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #427 on: March 19, 2008, 02:08:11 pm »
Zeality:  Having a bad day, Fearless Leader?

Thought:  Honestly, I'm agreeing with you with the homework thing.  Personally, though, my thought is that the entire school system is horribly, horribly broken here in Washington state.  They don't teach for kids to learn anything anymore.  They teach to the WASL, the state's beloved standardized test.  And why?  Because passing the WASL is a graduation requirement, and half the students that take it won't pass.  I hated that fact as a whole, but I particularly resented how it nerfed the high school's english and literature courses.  Matt's statement in this MacHall sums up my views on the whole matter better than I ever could.  The people teaching schools these days aren't teachers, they're frauds.  The state school committee is a fraud, and it needs to be changed.

Okay, we've established that I hate High School.  Know what else I hate?  The fact that my finacial aid is based on my GPA.  I need a 2.0; I've never gotten over 1.8 thus far.  Hope this quarter is different...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 19, 2008, 02:34:47 pm »
Ah, good ol MacHall. But to be fair, the Printing Press as an Agent of Change is a very interesting topic and certainly relates to the study of any period in which the medium of communication changes.

In short, Eisenstein's work can be easily extrapolated to the social changes that computers and the internet has (and still is) bringing about.

Yeah, Ian McConville & Matt Boyd didn't make that stuff up. But to also be fair, that sort of thing isn't important to most people (and indeed, I studied it in my graduate work; undergrads in non-history majors really have no use for it... except maybe English or sociology, but even then, not as undergrads).

I do agree that there are problems with the entire education system (for one, I generally see no use for any administration oversight above Principles, and it is a crime that teachers get paid so little in comparison to how important their role in any country is), but... well homework is just my gripe for now ;)

Standardized tests really are a horrible way to measure someone's knowledge and understanding about a subject.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 19, 2008, 02:48:25 pm »
The world impinges upon my noble dream and ideals.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 19, 2008, 04:20:15 pm »
The world impinges upon my noble dream and ideals.
It is the goal of most societies, in the purest sense, to hammer the nail(s) that stick(s) out...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 19, 2008, 04:44:07 pm »
Except college society, where the goal is just to get hammered. ;)

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 19, 2008, 09:38:14 pm »
Except college society, where the goal is just to get hammered. ;)

and at the same time, nail someone  8)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 19, 2008, 09:50:05 pm »
Funny how screw works just as well?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:36 pm »
I hate how now they just take a script, slap a name of an old Ian Flemming novel/short story and call it James Bond.

They have plenty to work with.