Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 171543 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2006, 05:59:37 am »
I hate the fact that no company will hire me simply because I don't have a degree, regardless of my skill level. Having to pay 30,000 dollars for school, just so I can have a future... I hate it.

And I hate that because I'm a girl, people think that there's no way I can make it as a video game designer. Ohhh, I hate it.

I sympathize with the inadequacy of many colleges, instructors, and degree programs, as well as the improper mindset of many students, all of which can contribute to an unsatisfying or even unpleasant college experience. However, it's not the college experience itself that's to blame. Given the modern ambitions of K-12 education, a higher education is simply indispensible now. It's not about the proverbial piece of paper they give you at the end; it's about achieving a truly collegiate education. That some companies don't care to make that disctinction is a travesty, I agree--as is the sheer expense of college. But beyond those obstacles is something good, a holy grail for thinking people. I can see just by your writings here at the Compendium that you are an intelligent person of wide talents and considerable potential, and eventually you will find an employer who understands the same. Nobody here will reasonably doubt your ability. But, having been to university and having had an enriching college experience myself, I know a little bit about what you are missing. The good universities have something truly unique to offer, a sort of concentrated knowledge across all disciplines that just can't be found anywhere else in a single place. Such depth and excellence of education cannot be encapsulated by a single career. Even if you were to be employed by the most fantastic video game development studio, you'd still be missing out on the most exciting insights into everything from geology to art history.

I can tell you, I've had some bad instructors in my day. But if you navigate those rapids wisely and with persistence, and take classes beyond your major in every subject that appeals, fighting the university tooth and nail if they pressure you to stick with your program and graduate quickly...then the rewards are beyond Hadriel's Pleasure. I simply would not be who I am today without having had the opportunity to study the theories of the creation of our moon, or the impacts of glaciation on global climate, or the philosophy behind Western religious doctrine. I'm not an astronomer or a geologist or a theologist, but all of those things touch me as an engineer and a writer, every day. As Robert Heinlein put it, specialization is for insects.

Sounds like it's time to affirm your ability through raw determination and passion. They're going to pay for it. But a degree is somewhat important. The problem is not being able to define the scope of your education and having to take certain unsavory classes.

Ah, but ZeaLitY, sheer willpower is an engine--not a weapon. When we get to the point in confronting a challenge where we have nothing to rely upon except our own grit, we have already lost the upper hand, and the going is inevitably tough...which is one of the reasons why willpower is so romanticized. I know a thing or two about having a zealous mind, but there is also the wisdom of working smarter rather than harder. When it's a specific job she wants, Lena's passion--and yours, in your cases--is more smartly employed toward giving her would-be employers what they want, which for her means getting the piece of paper rather than trying to demonstrate that she doesn't need it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2006, 03:48:04 pm »
Yes, I'm not talking about bucking college degrees with some miraculous force of will. Giving them what they want is precisely what I mean. My self-will in getting Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross featured wasn't concerned with overriding the featured article reviewers, but complying with their objections and suggestions by quickly correcting problems. "They're going to pay for it" merely meant that if she delivered high skill with passion, then their underestimation might cost them by overlooking a potential good employee. Give me a little credit.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2006, 03:01:05 am »
I give you a lot of credit. You're excellent at giving people conversational openings.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2006, 06:29:25 am »
Speaking of Naruto...Let's just say that I hate ****ing stupid horrible dubs. BELIEVE IT!!!

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2006, 09:21:51 am »
I hate Queen Zeal when she uses Halnation.
I also hate people who act like idiots for attention
and I hate people who force there opinions on you

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2006, 03:29:01 pm »
Speaking of Naruto...Let's just say that I hate ****ing stupid horrible dubs. BELIEVE IT!!!
datta bayo= believe it.

its not horrible. its just something that should have never been translated.

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
  • What's mine is mine... I want you to be MINE..!
    • View Profile
    • Anti - System Of A Down
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2006, 05:36:37 am »
i hate all the gays in the world.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2006, 06:01:11 am »
Aw, but they like you. Why the fuss?

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2006, 11:50:22 am »
Awww poor deniz2099, don't be ashamed of what you are and don't go on hating yourself. As Lord J's said, they all love you(so do we).

Wow, never put THAT much cynism into 1 phrase for a long time  :lee:

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2006, 12:32:23 pm »

Same here. How can people actually bear to watch them instead of the subbed japanese episodes?!?!

They made Guy and Lee sound like idiots... Whoever dubbed it will pay...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2006, 01:35:39 pm »
What could cause that post would be falling head over heels for someone only to find out he or she isn't attracted to the opposite sex.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2006, 10:14:52 pm »
What could cause that post would be falling head over heels for someone only to find out he or she isn't attracted to the opposite sex.

Or closeted gay tendencies. Ancient history and modern psychology alike have made a pretty strong case that sexual orientation exists on a scale rather than as a binary. Some people just bash gays because it's popular, but a significant minority do it because they're somewhat gay themselves and are unable to admit it, given how culturally unpopular homosexuality is.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2006, 04:57:57 am »
It's like when boys are mean to certain girls because in actual fact, they like her!

Dubs do suck, but Cowboy Bebops dub was supoib.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2006, 05:52:59 pm »
I dunno, I remember either only liking Ed's dub or really hating Ed's dub...Whichever...Ed's the SHIT and her regular voice is perfect anyways...:lol:

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2006, 01:31:49 am »
That which I can reach, but cannot grasp.