Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 169323 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1200 on: May 24, 2011, 02:26:36 am »
Ah, we are cut from different cloth! Freeway interchanges are one of my favorite things. As a baby, they were one of my first loves. And this one was the greatest of them all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Los_Angeles_Interchange

Going west on the 10, you have to get off the side of the freeway, hop onto the 5, and then go across a river, just to get "back" onto the 10.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #1201 on: May 29, 2011, 05:55:05 am »
We reached 110°F today. I'm melting...  :|

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1202 on: May 29, 2011, 06:31:26 am »
Only slept for four hours last night.... my head's heavy, eyes needing rest, but this wretched heat won't let me sleep! ><

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 29, 2011, 07:34:57 am »
Got up to 85 indoors here today. Not my idea of fun.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:56 am »
I broke ninety. Can't wait 'til my first summer in Vegas... urgh.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #1205 on: May 29, 2011, 05:32:25 pm »
We should all go for a cold drink or something  :lol:

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 29, 2011, 06:07:14 pm »
My computer is broken.  I don't think it can be fixed and if it can, I don't have the money for it.  Having no computer sucks.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1207 on: May 29, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »
My computer is broken.  I don't think it can be fixed and if it can, I don't have the money for it.  Having no computer sucks.
*jumps out of the chair* WE'LL HELP! Any symptoms? With a little info, I think we should be able to help you put it back together.  :D Hopefully.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 29, 2011, 10:00:26 pm »
I hate feeling sick on the weekends. The weekends are the times when I should be out, running, riding my bike, causing mass mischief, and generally getting all my energy out. Instead, I've been cooped up inside. Aside from it being really hot here, my bike tires are flat and I feel like shit.

I would say 'Oh but it'll be okay. This will all clear up for Wednesday, when the barbecue at school happens and I can dunk my principal and throw water balloons at Sam's old music teacher and he'll be all like "The hell, did Samuel come back just to throw stuff at me" and I'll be all like "Hahaha Mister Teacher I Forgot The Name Of, it's just me" and he'll be all "Oh hahaha"'. But the weather isn't supposed to be all that good on Wednesday.

I would say 'Well, that's okay, too. Thursday, we're going roller skating, and I can skate to my heart's content and play DDR and play LAZER TAAAAAG and I can shoot Sam's old music teacher and he'll be all like "Dammit BoT go away" and I'll be all like "Okay..."' But I can't. Because odds are Sam's music teacher won't be there.

But I have to stay positive! We're hoping to do something tomorrow, but who knows what. Hopefully coffee. I like coffee.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #1209 on: May 31, 2011, 02:42:47 am »
I got a blue screen of death, I hadn't seen one in years :shock: I think it's time to do some maintenance to this crappy laptop  :?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 31, 2011, 04:13:01 am »
*jumps out of the chair* WE'LL HELP! Any symptoms? With a little info, I think we should be able to help you put it back together.  :D Hopefully.

/tries to remember what D said

I think it was a...shortened fuse?  The corner of my screen went black, and was super hot to the touch, and D said a fuse shorted (shortened?) and it was now a fire hazard.  Apparently a new screen + fixing the problem would cost about $80, but after asking my dad's opinion he said it'd probably be more reasonable to just buy a new computer, since my computer is rather old.  :/

Sorry for the bad explaining!  I haven't a clue about computers or how they work (or, for the matter, how they break).

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 31, 2011, 06:55:20 am »
If it's just the monitor, you can get a used one from Goodwill or another place that sells used electronics, and you can do it on the cheap; $30 for instance. Getting a new computer probably is a good idea, but it's a different issue than being able to have a computer of your own to use now--and monitors are interchangeable anyway. You could get a new computer later, and keep the old monitor until it, too, needs replacing.

My old laptop monitor died last year, which caused trouble when I moved out and went on my backpacking trip. A friend gave me an old, small, and, importantly, lightweight flat-screen monitor to carry along. That lasted a few weeks. Then the hard drive died. =(

So, I just left the whole thing in Seattle. If I were there, I'd let you have the monitor, but as it is I'm afraid I can't be of any help. Ask around; maybe one of your friends or their family members or friends have a spare monitor.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:19 am »
@Sajainta: The term you want is "short", or, more formally, "short circuit", and for good reason.

You can think of electricity as basically running in loops--it goes out from the power source along a wire, passes through a bunch of stuff along the way, and then eventually returns to the opposite side of the same power source (that's why they're called "circuits"--it derives from the older meaning of "a closed path"). Electricity is basically lazy, though, so if you lay another wire across your big loopy circuit just outside the power source that allows it to jump directly to the other end of the circuit, it'll do that, leaving the main part of the circuit unpowered while it takes the shorter route--the short circuit--home.

If you have a desktop machine, you can just replace the monitor as Lord J said--old CRTs like the one I'm using right now can be obtained cheaply from any junk shop (if you insist on an LCD flatscreen, it's going to be more expensive--try pawn shops or computer stores that deal in used equipment). If it's a laptop, though, it's possible that D may be right about it being unsafe to run even with an external monitor--it depends on whether or not the short still gets power even with the built-in display powered off. (In theory, it should be possible to physically disconnect the display even on a laptop, but you'd need a wiring diagram and more electronics expertise than I have to do it safely.)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 01, 2011, 04:20:39 am »
Today the Space Shuttle Endeavor returned from its last flight. There is just one more shuttle flight: Atlantis will take off in later this for the final mission of the space shuttle program. This is a sad day.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:05 pm »
I hate tornadoes.

Sam goes to a school up in Massachusetts, near Springfield, MA. He's met a lot of people from there. There are confirmed reports of tornadoes there. He's a bit freaked out. Parts of Connecticut have tornado warnings, but it looks like we're clear. Doesn't stop Sam from panicking and trying to call everyone he's ever met there ever to see if they're okay.