Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 169322 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1125 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:21 pm »
Right. To be honest, I had seen it coming for a while now. Things just finally went a step too far, and I had to end it. I won't fret though.

Thanks everyone for brightening up my day. Especially that video. Weird Al makes me laugh. :lol:

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:42 pm »
I hate high schoolers.

I'm a senior in high school, so as April gets into full swing, I'm getting ready to get the hell out of my school. One can only take so long of being in high school, you know. I've been accepted to two universities and plan on moving as far away from here as possible (while still not going anywhere near where my brother goes to school... Sam is a whoooole nother story) and, having been drilled with my father's sense of duty, I still try. Senioritis will not take me!

However, I cannot say the same for my peers. I have two courses that I NEED to take and pass to graduate and go to a university. In one of my courses, the other students need to take and pass it as well. They don't particularly care, but it's a small group, so it doesn't get too crazy. In the other class, it's a very... VERY... stark difference. Up front is myself, Robin, and Lucia (they're cool girls). Two rows back is the REST of the class. They talk, they sing (not very well), they yell across the room, they have no clue what they're doing... and god help you if you ask them to shut up so you can hear the poor teacher. I feel sorry for the guy, actually...

In any event, after I leave that particular class, I need to make my way to my next class (or to lunch, depending on the day). It is the longest trek I have to make on a regular basis, and also the most aggravating. You see, there is this ONE intersection right by the stairwell. People are going in the stairwell. People are going out of the stairwell. People are going towards the science rooms. People are going toward the lobby. Amidst all this, there is a group of people who just kind of... STAND there. They don't walk slowly (I get enough of that in the hallway and I've learned the art of the gentle shove), they don't walk and talk. They just stand. They greet their friends, who then stand with them. They all just kind of stand, and god help you if you so much as LOOK at them funny. They're the... well, they're the really bad kids, the kids who basically are there because otherwise Rev. Hughes will come to your house, wake you up, put you in his car, and BRING you to school. (yes, our truancy officer is a reverend. Don't ask.)

Fortunately, the fourth quarter of the year has just started. I no longer have to go to one of the classes that I despise, and instead get to go to a class where I sit and doodle. The only drawback is that it is now a very long trek to my next class, but at least it's manageable.

Plus, the math teacher is smokin'.  :wink:

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 07, 2011, 11:13:31 pm »
Hate to tell you this, but you'll find a lot of what you wrote in college too.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:38 pm »
Hate to tell you this, but you'll find a lot of what you wrote in college too.
  :shock:

I don't know why that would be like that. I mean, sure, some kids go to college just to paaaaartay, but why would you goof off in a class you're actively paying money for? It doesn't make sense!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »
What's really surprising is the number of paper airplanes you might even find being tossed around in grad school classes! It never truly ends.  :o  Maybe it's the stress?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 08, 2011, 12:01:05 am »
I don't know why that would be like that. I mean, sure, some kids go to college just to paaaaartay, but why would you goof off in a class you're actively paying money for? It doesn't make sense!

I've been asking myself that same question ever since I started attending college.  People are so annoying.  >/

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 08, 2011, 07:41:34 am »

I've been asking myself that same question ever since I started attending college.  People are so annoying.  >/
Yeah... I talked with my mom about this and she told me something that happened to her while in college.

My mom went to college sometime after I was born, so she was already in full mommode. One of her professors had a very, VERY pronounced accent, but knew what he was talking about. In one of his classes, a student decided that he would explain what the professor was saying so that everyone else could understand it. While the professor was still talking. So my mom excuses herself, turns around, glares at the guy, and says, 'Excuse me, but when I'm paying you $10,000 a class to lecture, I'll pay attention to you. But for right now, Professor Whatshisname is speaking.'

Can't believe that had to happen in a college setting... :o

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1132 on: April 08, 2011, 11:05:11 am »
...However, I cannot say the same for my peers...
Haha, I can feel you pain (how old are you, by the way?), and I agree that April First at the least is gonna be one hellish day. But despite that, I actually look forward to it. It's creative. It's devilish and evil. But mostly, it's fun.

A word of advise, mate: People soak knowledge faster than they can cultivate their social skills, so just because you need to pass your school or survive in the world doesn't mean you shouldn't socialize in the silliest ways possible. In fact, right now you NEED to live that way, and (science says) that will extend your life span way beyond what you can imagine. School days are contradictory, and much of it depends on you on having fun and studying at the same time. If it means to pester your friends, if it means to sing aloud in class, this is what will make you the happiest person in the world (there's a long explanation to this, but I can't be bothered to write an essay right now).

If you deny social skills and the art of silly-living right now, your chances of succeeding in life decline steeply even when you're pursuing a career. But that doesn't mean you have to quit studying either: it's just that schools are quite limited to the knowledge you can soak up. Believe it or not, I've learned more about Art, Literature, Science and Politics at Chronocompendium than I ever would have at school. I never even attended college! XD I know that sucks, but it's more of a monetary matter than my personal skills...

And if you're wondering if I was a delinquent at school for ill-advising you like this, you're mistaken. I was actually a topper (one of the three best students in every class I've been in), but before languages other than English were introduced. My only handicap was my dyslexia; with the help of my aunt, I managed to master my disorder and conquered English, thus excelling in every subject thrown at me. But when Marathi, Sindhi and Hindi were introduced, I had to start from ground zero by focusing on them entirely, and lost my skills with other subjects like Math and English. This resulted in me barely passing High School.

I sourly miss those days when kids used to be free despite the pressure of studying and examinations, because we had a blank cheque to good around as we pleased, even in class. Teachers swore at us, and we mocked them for it. Sometimes they relied on us smart kids to try outwit the new teachers, and sometimes we succeeded, sometimes we were thrown outta class. Most of teachers made us stay silent in class when they were around. Then we had a teacher who encouraged us interact with each other and, especially, with him because that's how we learn better. He encouraged us to socialize, to share ideas. He even helped us learn Physics by dancing like Hrithik Roshan and Michael Jackson. He gave analogies that were more common place than strange ones in the text book, (like a person's pain is directly proportional to the momentum of the kick you hit him with, with the addition of what he said about your mom) and nobody failed his class. Ever.

So remember: make the most of your time you have now, because once you're out of college you'll never see those beautiful days again. There's no "Summer Holidays", there's no "playing hooky", and especially no "pranks in the office".  :shock: You'll have to divide your life into "Office Time", "Social time" and "YOUR time".

What's really surprising is the number of paper airplanes you might even find being tossed around in grad school classes! It never truly ends.  :o  Maybe it's the stress?
No, it's art! xD Origami! Join em. And if your teacher catches you doing the same, explain to her that you were merely analyzing the symmetry and aerodynamics of the crafted plain and how it could maintain its flight, acceleration and ascension via properly calculated curvature of the wings.

Reminds me of the time I was at High School and knocked at my friend's door at exam time so he'd play soccer with me, then his neighbor got out and screamed at me to go home and study, not waste time on childish and useless sports. I asked him and how the brain functions, and he recited the whole thing exactly as you'd find it in a text book, and when I asked him to explain that in detail and methodically, he got cocky but wasn't able to. I told him, "The potential functioning of the brain depends on fresh oxygen, and scientists told us to play sports so we can study better, so STFU!" You shoulda seen his face! xD

Plus, the math teacher is smokin'.  :wink:
Hah, I hear ya, bud! Except my substitute English teacher was; my Math teachers were dudes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:08:27 am by tushantin »

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »
I'm about 18 now, in answer to your first question.

I know that studying and fun should come together. It helps me relax, honestly. At the same time, though, it feels like you should respect a teacher. I mean, they went to school four extra years and they put up with us. That earns you some kudos and maybe some quiet time. So it just... IRKS me when people are talking loud and shouting and singing when the teacher is explaining the day's activity, and then they turn around and ask me what we're supposed to be doing.

I like to bring up good things whenever I rant. As I was heading from crapclass to awesomeclass, I learned something. Apparently, the boys who hang around at the intersection had grown to be quite the problem. So now there stands Mrs. Rodriguez, one of the strictest hall monitors we have. She just kind of stands there, glowering at the students. I got to awesomeclass right on time.

Another good thing: we finished up our solar-powered carthings in crapclass (it's an Earth Science course), so the teacher took everyone outside to make sure they worked. My little car went all WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR across the tennis court, and when we went back inside... everyone was just... relaxed. It was QUIET. It might have had something to do with being full of food or just getting some outside time to just relax, but it was glorious.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1134 on: April 08, 2011, 04:22:57 pm »
Looks to me you like things peaceful. xDDD Good! Good! People have their own preferences. *cough*easytarget*cough*

Yes, I do know what you mean. Being a teacher is a tough job. Their salaries are low, need to learn things perfectly before they teach, can't bunk like their students, and especially trying their best to educate the future of our society.

Except not all of them are competent enough to do so. No matter how tough a teacher's job is, you can't expect just any hard worker to get on it. Their frustrations play a big game on the morale of their students, and their personality and method of teaching influences them for years to come. Sometimes the way they get about things is absolutely wrong, and for some others, they don't really care what they're learning because all they care is to make students recite something and get it over with half-assedly. I have no respect for these kinds of teachers, because they're better off doing something else. Anything else. And trust me, though I've respected all teachers in my life, the one I'm currently studying under is an asshole, watching her own back, never correcting herself or acknowledging her mistakes, hating anybody talking back at her, and just doesn't care about innovative ideas. She places the blames of her own irresponsibilities upon us and gets away with her authorized position.

Of course, that still doesn't mean students should hold a grudge against just any teacher; that's just wrong. But mocking them doesn't always mean we don't respect them.  8) Gone are the days when we kids were sincere and regarded their teachers with utter discipline. We live free! And if a teacher gets angry about it, remember this: a powerless dog barks a bluff. I've seen it. Still, we always look up to them and are grateful of them for putting up with our BS.

If you're pestered folks, then there's something a friend of mine has taken to heart: if you can't beat em, join em. You see, this is where that "socializing" comes to play. It's easier to make enemies and laugh while they're in misery, but it's more profitable making friends. You don't have to kiss anybody's ass, just show em some respect.  :wink: Anybody bullies ya, make friends with him and buy him a coke once, or even invite him over sometime. If someone's being an asshole, try being considerate and help him out without expecting anything in return. There's a friend of mine, a weird one, who has befriends the world when he sees people, whether they're thieves, rich fellas, poor fellas, geeks, slumdogs, etc. and is capable of handling situations just with his charisma. But try not to depend on them most of the time, otherwise you'll either have a chance of spoiling yourself or being betrayed. Just make friends with your enemies, and show them respect, no matter how much you despise them; it's getting out of trouble that counts.  :D So keep an eye out.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 08, 2011, 05:13:30 pm »
tushantin, recommending that kind of strategy for dealing with bullies is dangerous in ways you may not realize, because when it fails, people are encouraged to blame the victim rather than the bully ("If you'd just tried harder..."--sound familiar?). And in my experience, the normal result of trying to befriend the bully in a real bullying situation is to have him laugh in your face. Not only that, but by advising the victim to knuckle under and laugh along, you're asking him to acknowledge that the bully is right. That can be crippling to someone whose self-esteem is already damaged.

The appropriate response to bullying is to create a culture in which it isn't respected--by anyone--and therefore doesn't flourish. Unfortunately, this is more difficult than it sounds, because most punishment-from-on-high approaches to curbing the problem are counterproductive: from the bully's point of view, such an approach just amounts to him being bullied by the administration, and chances are that he'll immediately turn around and pass it on. (Telling the victim to "just suck up and take it" is even worse--that's blaming the victim again. A bully's victim has no real influence over what happens, because bullying has nothing to do with the victim--it's about the bully's need to feel superior to someone. Yes, bullies usually have damaged self-esteem, too. That doesn't excuse them hurting others.) As a general rule, there is nothing a victim of bullying can do to fix the prevailing culture, but bystanders can help do so: all they have to do is tell the bully that he's being a jerk/disgusting/not cool.

Any solution that is not genuinely just to all parties involved is not acceptable when dealing with bullying. Unbalanced band-aid measures just make the problem worse for the next victim.

(Yes, I was a victim from the time I started school until I was about sixteen. I got a lot of bad advice like yours, and all of it ended up making the situation worse. This is not a laughing matter for me.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:18:22 pm by alfadorredux »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1136 on: April 08, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »
@alfadorredux: You misunderstand my point. You don't make allies with the nation that just nuked you. You make allies with them before they nuke you. Way before! You're right, just asking a bully that bullied ya to have coffee with your mates will make a laughing stock out of you unless you know what you're doing (or unless you're an Alpha), and these times you usually need support or try to strike peace with the guy. Thing is, antagonizing someone who may be stronger and more influential than you can crush you and your life harder than you can expect, but if manage to get on people's good sides before that happens, chances are you can not only avoid being bullied but also influence the bully to have a change of heart subtly when he/she's in a good mood.

I've known this guy Charles who had a bad habit of grabbing a bat and breaking people's bones. I thought I oughta punch him, but then decided to befriend him when I met him by chance. He wasn't really in a nasty mood, which is why I found no reason to avoid him. Soon enough, he turned over a new leaf.

Just because things don't work out doesn't mean it's a bad idea. The key is to be able to reason backwards rationally. Think about it: if you were a bully, who's ass would you kick? Someone really scared of you and avoiding you like you're a monster, or someone who's comfortable around you and treats you with respect like a friend? Bullies don't like to be lonely, no matter how much of a jerk they are, and depend on some kind of support whether it's money or a comrade. And also ask yourself: if a person can your leg, would you rather antagonize him or have him on your side?

Of course, this is just my tried and true opinion, but you have every right to reject it when concerning with your own life. In the end, the decision is always yours.

P.S.: If you're still not convinced and would wanna stay safe, the answer is always simple: befriend several strong folks who aren't as bad as they look. Either that, or a heck load of friends. That way, the bully will think twice than to humiliate himself.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:49:02 pm by tushantin »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 08, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »
At best, I would consider your suggestion to be violating my principles in order to protect myself (and we won't get into what I would feel it was at worst--I've already deleted one extremely vitriolic reply that wouldn't have accomplished anything useful (not even making me feel better)). To put it mildly, that is something I would not be happy doing.

I think our backgrounds are probably too different for us to ever see eye-to-eye on this issue.

CuyahogaRiver

• Porrean (+50)
  • A pyro manic River Spirit! Setting water on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:27 pm »
Katy Perry sucks

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1139 on: April 09, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »
@alfy: Generalizing or categorizing concepts, substances and people is usual to simply deducing and recognizing what poses a threat and what's useful. It's good for safety, but not useful enough for longterm evaluation, because this trait can be  misused.

Just like you're doing here. I'm not aware of your experiences with bullies, but human mind is complex and not all bullies are as bad as murderers or 4chaners. It's completely fine if you don't share my views and would rather stay safe, but your heavy prejudice and discrimination makes me wince. I couldn't really imagine someone as smart as you could generalize people to this extreme; it's like saying saying all geeks are losers at life. It's completely wrong.

People make enemies, and getting along is farfetched. But just because a person is a bully doesn't mean he's an enemy or wrong by default, nor is he likely to stay a bully forever (in fact, only few remain that way). I have also been a victim, and at times became a bully for two whole grades. Then I met some hardcore douchebags who are benevolent, loyal friends today despite their growing pride and differences between us. One's an artist, one working for charity, and another owning a hotel. Remember: Always prefer details when need be. Life isn't a fairytale and you certainly cannot point out the wicked witch in just a glance.

P.S.: My point to the whole argument is this: socialize. Believe it or not but great social skills are an ultimate suite of tools that has the potential to conquer a nation (read: Kim Il Sung)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:19:24 pm by tushantin »