Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 169314 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1095 on: March 11, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »
I have tried calling.  Nothing.  My boyfriend's sister also lives in Japan (she's in the military and is stationed there).  D has been trying to call her, but nothing from her either.

Not sure how helpful this may be to your particular situation, but I'm posting it here just in case:

http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/

Best of luck to your friends. Hopefully they're all okay.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 11, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »
Another quake. This is brutal.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 12, 2011, 08:40:24 am »
D's sister finally got in touch with him and the rest of their family.  She is okay, thank goodness, the only thing that happened in her area is that they lost power.

Not sure how helpful this may be to your particular situation, but I'm posting it here just in case:

http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/

Best of luck to your friends. Hopefully they're all okay.

Thank you so much.  I will use that right away.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1098 on: March 12, 2011, 10:28:11 am »
 :D See? I'm glad things worked out well for you guys.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1099 on: March 18, 2011, 10:59:31 am »
Hah! DraftSight (Beta) has been released for Ubuntu! Time to flex my skills a bit beyond simple art design and direction to architectural knowledge. Ahead of me I see a massive road, miles and miles across, further ahead meeting the sky. And all throughout the road lay fruits, just begging to be eaten. Good, aye?

Well, there's a reason I've posted this in a "Stuff you hate" thread. Despite the vastness of the road, I feel like I'm trapped in a cage. As if my wings have been bound. I feel suffocated and uneasy, yearning to run, dreaming to fly, stealing the sunlight that quenches the sky. I just wanna give a big "Fuck You" to everyone and just work on what I love doing, but I can't do it without guilt.

On top of that, coincidentally, Mom wants to buy a couple of sparrows as pets. Caged birds... The thought of it makes me cringe!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:02 pm »
My parents gave me permission to try a shot of alcohol (vodka, of all things) on my brother's 21st birthday. Damn, that stuff is awful. Like downing pure rubbing alcohol. How does anyone acquire a taste for that?

Also, this is the worst game I've ever agreed to play.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1101 on: March 30, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »
My parents gave me permission to try a shot of alcohol (vodka, of all things) on my brother's 21st birthday. Damn, that stuff is awful. Like downing pure rubbing alcohol. How does anyone acquire a taste for that?

Also, this is the worst game I've ever agreed to play.
Welcome to adulthood.  :lol:Reminds me of my first time takin beer with my folks, and it was so strong and so awful I wondered the same thing you do right now. I preferred sodas to alcohol. But somehow, little bit at a time, I'm beginning to develop taste for standard beer. Still wanna try Scotch Whiskey, though, just to see how it tastes. And let's not forget Applejack!  8)

I don't get that video, but I'm guessing you got into a drinking game? XD

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 30, 2011, 04:17:41 pm »
yeah i hate vodka... unless it has juice in it.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 30, 2011, 04:29:56 pm »
Drink some "girly" drinks (i.e., with juice) and get a taste for it. I hated the taste until I had some water mocassins. Even my brothers, who are as much beer connoisseurs as they can be in their early 20s with limited income, hated everything but really, really girly stuff for a long time.

Shots are really only worthwhile when they're a communal bonding thing, in my opinion. And even then they don't taste good!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 30, 2011, 04:44:06 pm »

:picardno

I hate how Hollywood is doing a live-action remake of Akira. The following changes have been made, which I type out as if thumbtacks were protruding from each individual key that I press:

1.  They're moving the setting from Tokyo to New York City.
2.  They're making it an all-white cast.
    a.  Tetsuo is now Travis, Kaneda is now Kevin and Akira... who knows?
3.  The only animation in the movie is of the CGI variety.
4.  They'll be young adults instead of teenagers
5.  It's going to be about 9/11 instead of post-apocalyptic living.
6.  It's going to be a two-parter.

It's almost as if their current trend is to make as many failed Asian-to-white adaptations as possible. Well, here's what I say:

Screw you, Hollywood!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 30, 2011, 04:57:03 pm »
That's Leo DiCaprio's project IIRC, and Spielberg is about to do the same thing to Ghost in the Shell. Hollywood is constantly looking for the next big "fad" that will make it a ton of money, ie. movies that don't have to be good that people will go see anyway because of the name. The good news is, this means they don't spend too much time on any one "fad" before moving on. So they're not likely to make a Fullmetal Alchemist movie starring Ben 'Aflak' and Matt Damon as the Elric brothers or something remotely that bad of an idea (oooh, Pokemon starring Justin Bieber!), but they're gonna take something before they go.

"Parody" movies died down mostly, "disaster" movies are pretty much over. With Speed Racer and Dragonball failing at the American box office, I doubt Amerikira Part 2 will ever be made. The "superhero" genre is distinct in that it is successful commercially. I think general american audiences don't understand these asian to white translations very much. I think it's due to the eastern and western storytelling styles, I don't think they are easy to match up and these movies could be good, but the western style they try to inject just makes it even more weird than originally intended (Akira WILL be interesting if nothing else) and more difficult to grasp.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:01:14 pm by Mr Bekkler »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1106 on: March 30, 2011, 06:50:56 pm »
Drink some "girly" drinks (i.e., with juice) and get a taste for it.
Nah. Not sure about Bekkler but I have to pass.  :cry: I once asked a friend what Gin tastes like, and he said, "It's a chick's drink, and I'll kill you if you order that." Sorry, I'm too young to die. XDDD (If I sounded sexist, sorry, but that actually is the truth)

I hate how Hollywood is doing a live-action remake of Akira. The following changes have been made, which I type out as if thumbtacks were protruding from each individual key that I press:
Yeah, read about it on Cracked today too. Never seen the movie but have heard about it. It's a shame Hollywood has turned into those cheap retailers who sell crap with a "take it or leave it" sign. I really wonder how many competent directors/producers are actually struggling to make masterpieces (like, ya know, Stanley Kubrick).

Spielberg is about to do the same thing to Ghost in the Shell.
I hope at least Spielberg doesn't mess this up. He did a good job adapting Crichton's "Jurassic Park", so I'm hoping GiTS would be awesome.

With Speed Racer and Dragonball failing at the American box office...
Speed Racer? o_o Daww, I loved that movie! What a nostalgic feeling it was too...

I think it's due to the eastern and western storytelling styles, I don't think they are easy to match up and these movies could be good, but the western style they try to inject just makes it even more weird than originally intended
Not entirely true, because with enough ingenuity it's possible to integrate eastern stories with western ideas and techniques, and I have been successful in doing so. It's just that those people who adapt are mostly into quick and easy "money" and thus don't choose to try integrating/writing or are horrible at doing so.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
Nah. Not sure about Bekkler but I have to pass.  :cry: I once asked a friend what Gin tastes like, and he said, "It's a chick's drink, and I'll kill you if you order that." Sorry, I'm too young to die. XDDD (If I sounded sexist, sorry, but that actually is the truth)

Gin has a long and noble history of intoxication and causing moral panics. As utterly absurd as it is to divide drinks by gender to begin with, gin does not deserve that label!

Any drink that has a "Craze" named after it is pretty respectable in my book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 30, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »
I didn't say it coulldnt be done, tushantin. Just that it's not getting done by american filmmakers.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 31, 2011, 12:52:24 am »

I love vodka.  Love, love, love it.  My sister and I drink it straight.  It definitely gets some taking used to, but I've been drinking it since I was 12, so...

I once asked a friend what Gin tastes like, and he said, "It's a chick's drink, and I'll kill you if you order that." Sorry, I'm too young to die. XDDD (If I sounded sexist, sorry, but that actually is the truth)

Gin is most definitely not a "girly" drink where I live.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:54:08 am by Sajainta »