Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 171451 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #765 on: September 20, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »
I try not to use the word "hate" because I think it's too strong of a word for most things...

Me too, actually. But even hatred has its place, and that's how I was feeling about my sore throat last week. This is the thread for unadulterated hatred! Lesser stuff can go in the frustration thread.

I've also been dabbling with creating a thread that isn't encompassed by the love, frustration, or hate threads...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 20, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »
This is the thread for unadulterated hatred! Lesser stuff can go in the frustration thread.

Unadulterated hatred?  Whoops, I guess everything I've already written on this thread could just as easily go into the frustration thread then, heh.

There needs to be an in-between!  Things that you really, REALLY dislike, but you don't hate and are more than frustrations.  Or maybe this is that thread.

My actual legitimate "hate" list would be a bit more lengthy and a bit more serious than American football and long-distance relationships.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 20, 2009, 06:02:31 pm »
I don't think the hate thread has been a purist hate thread in the past, so technically I guess you can post whatever you want in here. But, with the frustration thread (which came along later), it seems to make sense to differentiate.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #768 on: September 20, 2009, 08:02:43 pm »
^ Don't really agree... It doesn't make sense to me to differentiate. But oh well!

Saijainta:
Another person who doesn't like Princess Bride! Wooo! We used to watch it in band all the time and I never got into it and thought that a lot of things about it were quite stupid and over-exaggerated.

Also, I agree with those other tv programs you don't like. I  guess I just like TV in general. I'm kind of a sucker for contest-reality shows. I like Idol, and Project Runway, and Top Model, kind of America's Got Talent, Hell's Kitchen, etc. etc. I'm kind of glad that I don't have cable here because I would just be watching tv for 3 hours a day or more XD;. I'm really into the Discovery Health Channel and TLC so when I go back home, I like to sit and watch that a lot...

Anyway, one thing I dislike a helluva lot: running! I can do other cardio (mostly I like the elliptical), but running and even jogging is just too much for me : (.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 21, 2009, 07:07:23 am »
ZaichikArky and Saijainta I don't understand your taste in movies at all...

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 21, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »

To each their own, right?  :D  Many people don't understand why I don't like The Princess Bride, and that's all good.  Personally, I don't get why no one seems to have watched Quills or Mirrormask, because those are two of the best movies I have ever seen.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 21, 2009, 07:20:21 pm »
To each their own, right?  :D  Many people don't understand why I don't like The Princess Bride, and that's all good.  Personally, I don't get why no one seems to have watched Quills or Mirrormask, because those are two of the best movies I have ever seen.
If you like Mirrormask you will like City of Lost Children. It's French, but the visuals are great and the overall story is just as quirky. And Ron Perlman is in it for some reason!
I found Mirrormask to be very Labyrinth 2: Bye Bye Bowie. It kept the essence, and the Jim Henson Production Company, but no Bowie bulge, for which everyone can be thankful!

I hate poorly done actual sequels. Jurassic Park 3, The Matrix 2, Spider Man 3, Son of The Mask, Ace Ventura Jr.

Also, I HATE "reality" television, like all the Flavor of Love knockoffs, the Hills type stuff, and Real World Road Rules type stuff in general.
I love REALITY television, like Planet Earth, Mythbusters, How it's Made, and other mostly no-nonsense type shows that have real substance, rather than petty drama that I have enough of in my own life to never want to see fake versions on camera.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #772 on: September 21, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »
I hate poorly done actual sequels. Jurassic Park 3, The Matrix 2, Spider Man 3, Son of The Mask, Ace Ventura Jr.

Don't forget X-Men 3!

It's sad because I'd want to buy a DVD boxset of particular movie trilogies (Spider-Man and X-Men being two of these), but I know it gets bad in the last movie, so I'm put off. If it was a "good, bad, good" situation it'd feel okay, but...

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 21, 2009, 08:03:48 pm »
If you like Mirrormask you will like City of Lost Children. It's French, but the visuals are great and the overall story is just as quirky. And Ron Perlman is in it for some reason!
Mirrormask was fantastic but defiantly not COLC, even with Perlman in it.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 21, 2009, 08:58:48 pm »
Yaaaay people have seen Mirrormask.  That warms my heart.

I found Mirrormask to be very Labyrinth 2: Bye Bye Bowie.

:lol:  I almost spit out the food I was chewing when I read that.   :lol:

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:49 am »
I hate things like this::

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8279801.stm

I hate that I can't do anything about it.

And I hate that many people can't see how good they have it and how fortunate they are.  Don't people realize that if they can read, have access to clean water, have a bed to sleep in, have a hospital to go to if they are ill, and have the opportunity to attend school for even a year that they are fortunate beyond reason??  Much of the world cannot even lay claim to all of those things.

I'm so sick of people being so damn unaware of how good their lives are by comparison to the vast majority of the world.   :x  It's infuriating.  Just watch the damn news.  Or go to a poorer part of your area.  Etc.

Apologies for the double-posting.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 29, 2009, 01:04:15 am »
Double posting and thread necromancy are totally fine here with new things to contribute.

I'm also frustrated about that. The "Atlas of Women" book covers a lot of ground in showing just how worse women have it outside Western Europe, Australia, the US & Canada, and much of that relates to conditions like clean drinking water or contraceptive availability. Much more relates to economic exploitation in the name of free trade, and noble ideas about free market development that fail to materialize as MNEs move in and social programs are cut as part of government budget restructuring. I've realized that there are tons of implicit justifications for this. "The West invented the modern world, so it's been on top longer," or outright racism, or cultural superiority, etc. enable a disconnect in properly acknowledging and humanizing other people. I do argue that a lot of culture around the world (and in the US) is counter-productive, like certain ignorant traditions. But the correct action isn't to exploit the culture's adherents and justify it with apparent superiority (like exploiting a clearly unethical tax loophole because "that makes the government fix it, eventually"). The correct action is to educate, develop, and assist.

Feminists have to buck economic systems, religions, cultures, and social traditions, and feminists are increasingly working towards international identification and cooperation. Learning about this and observing it is giving me an even clearer idea of how divided humanity is, and how these divisions are rationalized for all kinds of questionable actions. It's no surprise that feminists are appealing to nascent international law and treaties (like the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women).

Anyway, yeah, Penguin publishes other Atlas books like that, including one called the "State of the World". I imagine they also have fantastic graphs and data on literacy, access to water, crime, etc. internationally, and perhaps they should be required reading at certain levels of education. (Carefully taught, of course, so that students don't assume, "we have it better because we're superior"; even though that may be true in some historical meritorious regards, it's a slippery slope).

It really is distressing how imperialism has been so badly misused. For the record, I'd really love for a civilization based on merit like the US to be able to export its ideas of individual freedoms abroad, and use them to assist other developing peoples. Unfortunately, that's just not what happens, especially today. It's a tragedy that America's potential for being a city on a hill—a place of merit and open discussion on humanity—is so tarnished by politics of fear, the wrong kind of elitism (yes, there is a right kind of elitism), and prejudices from many sources. When America's best citizens celebrate its ideals, and when America's worst subsequently twist, distort, and co-opt them for damnable ends, movements like Islamic fundamentalists find it that much easier to criticize the US and mobilize traditionalists.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:09:00 am by ZeaLitY »

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 29, 2009, 11:34:04 am »
When people fail to define their terms properly(e.g. saying "that", when one really means "this") or at all(e.g. using acronyms and terms that are undefined to the layperson). It's careless at best, and rude at worst.
In mathematics, there's regulation for this kind of thing; in the world interpersonal communication, not so much. Gah!

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 01, 2009, 10:30:43 pm »
1. This is a small thing to other people but it irkes me very much.   I hate internet help desks that don't help much and just give a robotic response instead of looking into your troubleshooting issues no matter what topic it is.

2: I also hate it when a person reponds to a newcomer with *Just Read The F----g Manual* instead of just pointing a link to the FAQ if there is one for the newcomer question or better yet not reply to the stupid thread at all and save everyone the grief of reading it.        :P           Edit:  I purposly said *Newcomer* instead of *N00B* because *Noob* is just a name call thing.          I can't even type like that slang which I also hate.   

3:I also hate how search functions only show the word instead of the topic if I have a problem and wish to search for an existing thread.

4: I also hate the repeted clicking noise on my computer just now.  Problem solved:   8)  The strange clickiing noise came from the Napster Player after I played a song. :P :oops:  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:36:10 pm by TriforceofEternity »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 01, 2009, 10:33:13 pm »
4: I also hate the repeted clicking noise on my computer just now.

Depending on what kind of clicking noise it was, that could be a problem with your hard drive or a loose electrical connection inside your computer. (I had a clicking problem for several years that had completely stumped me, until I realized that the connection between the mainboard and my main CD drive was bad.)

In any case, it's a good opportunity to back up your hard drive if you don't have a current backup already.