Israel
6 (40%)
Arabs
2 (13.3%)
Neither
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 07, 2006, 04:23:01 pm

Author Topic: Israeli-Palestinian conflict  (Read 12285 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Israeli-Palestinian conflict
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 02:33:55 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq

Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
I think we should give the Israelis Australia. We aren't really using it, its desert, its far away from the Middle East.

Australia is already a country, and the "desert" parts of it you would propose giving to the Israelis would be inhospitable. This would amount to a pogrom. Perhaps we should give the Israelis Saudi Arabia instead of Australia. And in exchange for giving the Jews control of your holiest cities, the Palestinians can have Jerusalem. Then everyone will live happily ever after and there won't be any more religious wars. Yep.

Oh yeah totally. No religious wars. And yeah, we don't need Australia. Pfft.

How large was this Palestinian State Sentenal?

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2006, 03:12:38 am »
The same size as the Israeli state.  It was divided between them.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2006, 03:28:01 am »
Yeah. You are right. Too bad Britain went behind the Palestinians back and did something the Palestinians didnt want. See, Israelis DID live in palestine before, but because the Zionist movement wanted their own state, they had to go and get their own state. The Israel went off to conquer Syria and Egypt (well parts)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2006, 03:32:48 am »
Personally, from what I know, I blame the whole mess on the British empire. They promised the land to France, the Arabs, and the Jews. Smart move, eh?

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2006, 03:39:59 am »
I think we should give the Israelis Australia.

Maybe we'll give the Palestinines Australia?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2006, 03:45:05 am »
I'd say we give the convicts Australia, but that's already been done...

(Just thought I'd say that, because I've got no bloody clue how Australia got dragged into this.)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2006, 03:50:32 am »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Personally, from what I know, I blame the whole mess on the British empire. They promised the land to France, the Arabs, and the Jews. Smart move, eh?

Well...France got everything else...
Quote from: Legend of the Past
I think we should give the Israelis Australia.

Maybe we'll give the Palestinines Australia?

Yeah but the Palestinians are so stubborn. Plus, in Palestine the Arab chain of nation continues
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
I'd say we give the convicts Australia, but that's already been done...

(Just thought I'd say that, because I've got no bloody clue how Australia got dragged into this.)

Just a joke  :wink:

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2006, 05:05:01 am »
Plus, in Palestine the Arab chain of nation continues

Which is why the Palestinians SHOULDEN'T get Israel, in my opinion. Spice it up a bit, less Jihad crazed countries.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2006, 07:39:42 am »
Um...how does that make sense? Most of the religious hatred is going towards the Israeli state and its allies...

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2006, 10:07:06 am »
Um...how does that make sense? Most of the religious hatred is going towards the Israeli state and its allies...

YOUR religion's hatred.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 10:47:50 am »
Nuke them. Nuke them all. This moronic issue will be argued and fought to death until one side or the other has no one left. And you all know that. I'd rather both sides be eliminated than EVER allow one side to win, frankly no one deserves it.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 11:10:47 am »
Quote from: JossiRossi
Nuke them. Nuke them all. This moronic issue will be argued and fought to death until one side or the other has no one left. And you all know that. I'd rather both sides be eliminated than EVER allow one side to win, frankly no one deserves it.

Okay, that's a bit extreme... But if you don't like neither, sure...

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2006, 02:32:36 pm »
You know what we need over there? Separation of church and state. Have a secular nation, and let people practice whatever religion they want. But if we can't manage it in America, no way we'll be able to manage it there. (Canada and certain European countries, on the other hand, do seem to be able to manage it.)

Daniel - Thanks for correcting me there, I was working off of somewhat vague memory of what went on in that time. Thanks for posting that; understanding the actual history should give us all some better perspective.

Now, since you raised a few questions about what I said regarding Jesus, I'll give you a few references that, if nothing else, shed doubt on the Christian claim of history: Matthew 10:34, Luke 12:51, and Luke 22:36, all from the Bible, and all quotes of Jesus. I'm not quoting them here as for potentially inflammatory stuff like this, I feel it's better if Christians who might get mad go out and see for themselves exactly what it says.

(And no, I'm not saying all Christians are like this, but some are, so I'm being cautious because of them.)

Basically, these all directly contradict the idea that Jesus was a peacemaker. If they idea of him as a peacemaker was true, why would they have been included? The church had plenty of opportunity to edit it, and would have gotten rid of them if they were false. Now, if he actually said these things, then the rest is probably a fabrication to make him appear peaceful. These were left in because they're true, and there were too many pushing for the truth to omit them. The rest were in because they painted Jesus as a peacemaker.

As for their blaming the Jews--I didn't say it was a very successful attempt. And personally, if the theory of Jesus being a messiah-guerrilla is correct, the fault of his death lies at his own hands. He committed an act of war and attacked a governmental institution, a crime punishable by death. And death he got for it.

A few more corrections to what I said following Jesus' death, after checking some source material: The key here is that after his death, many of his followers had visions of him (probably dreams). The gospels already had the idea of a messiah who ressurects to finish his duty, so they took these as signs that he would come back. This is why, unlike other messiahs who were abandoned after failing, the Jesus cult stuck around. In 68 AD, after a miserably failed war against Rome and the ascent of the two Roman generals of that war--Vespasian and Titus--to the rulership of Rome, the cult changed. It was now more practical to claim to be peaceful rather than warlike; if they were warlike, they'd have been slaughtered immediately. This is the era in which the gospels were written. Of course, enough of Jesus' actual disciples were still living that knew the truth that elements of what Jesus actually said slipped in.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2006, 03:49:26 pm »
Quote from: Leebot
You know what we need over there? Separation of church and state. Have a secular nation, and let people practice whatever religion they want. But if we can't manage it in America, no way we'll be able to manage it there. (Canada and certain European countries, on the other hand, do seem to be able to manage it.)

Daniel - Thanks for correcting me there, I was working off of somewhat vague memory of what went on in that time. Thanks for posting that; understanding the actual history should give us all some better perspective.

Now, since you raised a few questions about what I said regarding Jesus, I'll give you a few references that, if nothing else, shed doubt on the Christian claim of history: Matthew 10:34, Luke 12:51, and Luke 22:36, all from the Bible, and all quotes of Jesus. I'm not quoting them here as for potentially inflammatory stuff like this, I feel it's better if Christians who might get mad go out and see for themselves exactly what it says.

(And no, I'm not saying all Christians are like this, but some are, so I'm being cautious because of them.)

Basically, these all directly contradict the idea that Jesus was a peacemaker. If they idea of him as a peacemaker was true, why would they have been included? The church had plenty of opportunity to edit it, and would have gotten rid of them if they were false. Now, if he actually said these things, then the rest is probably a fabrication to make him appear peaceful. These were left in because they're true, and there were too many pushing for the truth to omit them. The rest were in because they painted Jesus as a peacemaker.

As for their blaming the Jews--I didn't say it was a very successful attempt. And personally, if the theory of Jesus being a messiah-guerrilla is correct, the fault of his death lies at his own hands. He committed an act of war and attacked a governmental institution, a crime punishable by death. And death he got for it.

A few more corrections to what I said following Jesus' death, after checking some source material: The key here is that after his death, many of his followers had visions of him (probably dreams). The gospels already had the idea of a messiah who ressurects to finish his duty, so they took these as signs that he would come back. This is why, unlike other messiahs who were abandoned after failing, the Jesus cult stuck around. In 68 AD, after a miserably failed war against Rome and the ascent of the two Roman generals of that war--Vespasian and Titus--to the rulership of Rome, the cult changed. It was now more practical to claim to be peaceful rather than warlike; if they were warlike, they'd have been slaughtered immediately. This is the era in which the gospels were written. Of course, enough of Jesus' actual disciples were still living that knew the truth that elements of what Jesus actually said slipped in.

Hmmm... those are some interesting points. Yes, there are some things, you are right, that seem to contradict the Jesus-peacemaker portrayal. I'll have to think about that a bit.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2006, 03:52:36 pm »
Quote from: Leebot

Wouldn't that be nice? Unfortunately, everyone would not agree because of their bias towards like everything in life. Everyone should have a right to practice their own religion (regarding flying planes into buildings for Mohammed, stupid towel heads like them need to get slapped) freely. But their will always be opposition of the people in regards to certain religious beliefs.

I wish some day we will all stop harming one another and killing each other. When will that time come when we finally say, what the hell are we doing, and why did we ever do shit like that?