Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112465 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #540 on: September 04, 2009, 05:51:50 pm »
Well, it's possible that varying grades of pass or fail would be in order...Then again, if they had been implemented, perhaps they wouldn't have been as poor to begin with!

...illegitimate...?

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:00 pm »
Look out, businesses! Walmart's about to kick your ass!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090909/us_time/08599192069800

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:42 pm »
Look out, businesses! Walmart's about to kick your ass!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090909/us_time/08599192069800

From the article:

Thus, the company is in the beginning stages of a massive store and strategy remodeling effort, which it has dubbed Project Impact. One goal of Project Impact is cleaner, less cluttered stores that will improve the shopping experience. Another is friendlier customer service. A third: home in on categories where the competition can be killed. "They've got Kmart ready to take a standing eight-count next year," says retail consultant Burt Flickinger III, managing director for Strategic Resources Group and a veteran Walmart watcher. "Same with Rite Aid. They've knocked out four of the top five toy retailers, and are now going after the last one standing, Toys "R" Us. Project Impact will be the catalyst to wipe out a second round of national and regional retailers." (See 10 things to buy during the recession.)

Though that's bad news for many smaller businesses that can't compete, Walmart investors have clamored for this push. Despite the company's consistently strong financial performance, Wall Street hasn't cheered Walmart's growth rates. During the 1990s, the company's stock price jumped 1,173%. In this decade, it's down around 24% (Walmart's stock closed at $51.74 per share on Sept. 3). "Walmart is under excruciating pressure from employees and frustrated institutional investors to get the stock up," says Flickinger.

That, in a nutshell, is everything that's wrong with corporate America today. It's all about the stock price, and everything else be damned. Never mind that they're explicitly plotting to destroy whole industries and change the face of business in America. Never mind that they're degrading this country's economic future by closing gateways of entry for small-business entrepreneurs. Never mind that they're irresponsible ecologically, or that they mistreat and underpay their workers, or exploit their customers by driving all competition out of business and thereby forcing whole towns to shop at their stores.

Forget all that. Let's get that stock price up! Woo hoo! If you're one of the few thousand people who happen to own more than a trivial interest in Wal-Mart stock, you're going to be richer soon! Yay for you!

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #543 on: September 09, 2009, 03:56:26 pm »
That's capitalism for you. I'm sure that if Walmart gets big enough to become a monopoly, collusion will occur and they'll get put back into a corner. It's happened to Standard Oil and Bell South, and probably to AOL.

Here's a query: If Walmart has more affordable goods, doesn't that better the lower class?

Of course Walmart as a whole depends on China, and China's ability to oppress their workers, so that's also something to think about.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:10 pm »
Of course, Walmart is definitely improving the lower class. And they have such great customer service too! Here's a story about the great customer service of Walmart and how they offer only the finest quality goods.
(Just a warning, kinda disturbing images of feet and burns).

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2009, 04:34:37 pm »
shall we boycott walmart?

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2009, 04:36:03 pm »
I'm not, since I happen to be one of the poor people who rely on it having affordable crap.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2009, 04:40:43 pm »
shall we boycott walmart?

I do. I haven't set foot in one for many years. Admittedly, it's a lot easier for me since there are many other choices in the Seattle area. When I was still an adolescent, living with my parents, I was amazed by Wal-Mart's low prices. They really are low, especially in areas where there is still competition. (They tend to raise their prices once they attain a local monopoly.) But those low prices conceal some pretty dear costs, and you can bet it's not the rich who get stuck with the bill.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #548 on: September 09, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »
I think I've only been in a Walmart once or twice. I usually shop at Safeway or Red Apple (a local store, I think). Now, working for Safeway does really suck. I suppose it's better than some jobs out there, but it's just very tedious. I was lucky enough to work with a district trainer who was very kind, but other than her, management was pretty crappy. Still, customer service really is the biggest thing stressed at that company, which automatically puts it ahead of Walmart. If an employee doesn't smile it's a big panic in the backroom. You're almost brainwashed into being a bright and chipper zombie. Although, I did get in trouble once for being too cheerful.

How many giant chain stores like Walmart are there? I think Safeway's pretty big, and Starbucks and McDonalds pretty much own the planet..

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 09, 2009, 05:06:04 pm »
At least Walmart will have a hard time becoming a monopoly in regards to groceries. Wherever there is a minority of well-to-do individuals willing to buy fresh mangos from Thailand, Whole Foods will be there. Wherever there is a downtrodden vegan yearning to drink fair-trade artificial soymilk, Whole Foods will be there.

Hmm... maybe we should start writing to Obama asking him to bust us some trusts? If any political figure can channel the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt, Obama can.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 09, 2009, 11:48:57 pm »
God, I love books or stories that fall under the classification of "true crime", especially those well written.  I've just read one of the most fascinating and tragic stories I've run across in a long time.  If you're at all interested in the legitimacy (or illegitimacy if you prefer) of the death penalty, I highly recommend this story from The New Yorker:

Trial By Fire: Did Texas execute and innocent man?

(This does get filed under "bad news" for the case at hand and the dubious nature of many death penalty cases, but also good news for Elizabeth Gilbert who took it upon herself to get to know Willingham and the case against him to the degree that she did, and for their relationship which grew out of it.  Also for David Grann.  I don't know that such a sensitive and important story could have been told with greater thoroughness and care.  Very well done.)

Edit:  I just checked ted.com, and I found another amazing good news/bad news story.  Lewis Pugh tells the story of how he follows his dreams inspired by his father to the north pole, and explains why and how he swam 1km in sub-freezing water (in a speedo). 

http://www.ted.com/talks/lewis_pugh_swims_the_north_pole.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:58:02 am by Uboa »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:57 pm »
Good News: Images Show Hubble's New Powers
http://news.aol.com/article/hubble-space-telescopes-new-images/662675

GORGEOUS

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2009, 05:06:23 pm »
Good News: Images Show Hubble's New Powers
http://news.aol.com/article/hubble-space-telescopes-new-images/662675

GORGEOUS

No lie!  And as cool as those are, any next-gen optical space telescope will easily put them to shame.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what Hubble's successor is capable of.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2009, 05:10:53 pm »

Me, too.  Seeing how colossal the universe it, there's no telling of the endless possibilities (and pictures) that lie before us.  It really is the final frontier.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile