Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 120558 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #510 on: September 02, 2009, 06:42:22 am »
Ah, I read about that in the news today. For what it's worth, although grinding up fuzzy little animals evokes emotional revulsion due to our cultural attitudes, if it's done correctly death would be instantaneous. I'm not against that.

What I am against is the poor hatchery conditions. I hope they get their act together. Kudos for the animal rights activist for getting that video out.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:31 pm »

Bad News:
Looks like Marvel Comics just got slipped a Mickey. 

Good News:
It's not as bad as when Viacom bought Dreamworks for less than what Disney got Marvel for.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #512 on: September 02, 2009, 05:51:07 pm »
Bad News:
Looks like Marvel Comics just got slipped a Mickey.

I don't think this is bad news at all; in fact it'll give Marvel more of a (worldwide?) presence and more money to work with in movies, right?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2009, 06:39:17 pm »
Yeah, me either. It's not like Disney is going to be controlling what & how they run Marvel. That's like how people thought Enix was going to somehow interfere with Square's business once the merger happened. At the very least I hope that this marks a new age for Marvel animated movies. Not that the more recent animated Marvel films have been bad, but the production values have seemed little better than Saturday morning cartoons...and maybe a Marvel World in a new Kingdom Hearts...?? >_>

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #514 on: September 02, 2009, 09:55:43 pm »
Bad News: 62 year old jackass slaps a crying toddler in Wal-Mart

I can understand his frustration--Hell, we all probably can--but that doesn't mean you should haul off and actually smack someone else's child. That's screwed up.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #515 on: September 02, 2009, 10:38:40 pm »
Yeah, if anything, find the parent and slap them! ^_^

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #516 on: September 02, 2009, 10:41:37 pm »
I'm sorry this is probably wrong, but I kind of find this rather amusing. SHUT THAT GOD-DAMNED BABY UP BEFORE I SHUT IT UP! Problem was, his plan kind of backfired and the baby just cried harder >_>;

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 02, 2009, 11:18:10 pm »
This could be a springboard for an interesting discussion on the privileged status of parents to do things to their children that would be blatantly against the law if these things were done by anyone else. Many of our attitudes on this subject have been grandfathered in from an era when children were property, and therefore don't make sense in a modern society. Public misbehavior is public misbehavior. If spanking is ever a positive disciplinary measure at all, then how does one justify that spanking may only be administered to a child by its parents or guardians, without appealing to "because that's the way it is"?

Is it that spanking only works, or is only non-harmful if the child is totally dependent on the spanker? I would demand to see scientific evidence in support of such a claim.

Is it that enabling people to discipline other people's children via spanking would cause a breakdown in law and order? I doubt it. History reminds us that, once upon a time, a person could spank someone else's child. That's all been outlawed or stigmatized. (Remember the Simpsons episode where President Bush spanked Bart?)

Yet the parental prerogative to spank remains. I'm less interested in the controversy of spanking itself than in the puzzling truth that parents are still, even in this day and age, recognized to have extraordinary, exclusive powers over their children. Essentially our society still operates as if the parent always knows best, which has been proved untrue--and is demonstrably untrue just about every time you see a messed up kid. (Indeed, by definition, if the parent knows best and has the most authority over a child, the parent bears the greatest responsibility for that child's development.)

I think the very premise of a "parent" is simplistic enough that it has become obsolete. We ought to take a look at the many influences in modern society that are shaping our children, and reevaluate the question of who should have what powers.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #518 on: September 02, 2009, 11:24:34 pm »
Agreed. Maybe someone could make the thread. However, in this case, the guy didn't spank the kid, he hit her a few times, hard on the face. New research shows that physical punishment is detrimental to children's development. I was hit sometimes if I did something naughty as a child, I'm not sure if it was harmful to me or not. My mom really did have a temper, though >_>;, sometimes I'd argue what I experienced was abuse, but it really didn't mess me up too much. I do think I'm more violent because of it, though. I'm not sure how I'll raise my kids. I wouldn't do anything that wasn't a spanking, but I'm not sure if I'll even do that. It's hard to get children to stop acting spoiled, sometimes, if they don't see an immediate, physical response to the bad behavior.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 02, 2009, 11:48:19 pm »
I do think I'm more violent because of it, though.

Your userpic is King DeDeDe with a mallet bigger than his head!

I'm not sure how I'll raise my kids.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #520 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:43 pm »
Lord J, the cases you cited were about neighbors or friends of the family spanking children. Not complete strangers in Wal-Mart. Except for extreme cases or severe cases of public nuisance(crying in Wal-Mart is not, sending President Bush's memoir into the shredder, yes), parents should have an absolute right to raise their children how they want to.

They may have to put up, or even acquiesce to outside pressures, but they should not let the outside world raise their kids.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 02, 2009, 11:59:09 pm »
parents should have an absolute right to raise their children how they want to.

But why?

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:45 am »
The child has grown with them, they more so then any other know the child. The aunt and uncle could to if they raised the child, or others if adopted.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2009, 12:16:37 am »
I do think I'm more violent because of it, though.

I'm not sure how I'll raise my kids.

LOL

Yeah well... ! Your UI is Crono floating up in midair hovering over a weird lighty thing! That obviously must mean you believe in the higher power because Chrono looks to be hovering , yielding himself  to the power of the Lord, manifested in the overwhelming light .  PRAISE THE LORD, CRONO! Because, you know, that's the REAL way Crono got saved. The lord saw he was worth it and sent the time egg to the Guru of Time. Chrono Trigger has such religious undertones after all. I'm glad you agree with me, Lord J!  

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2009, 12:19:27 am »
The child has grown with them, they more so then any other know the child. The aunt and uncle could to if they raised the child, or others if adopted.

I was gonna talk about the sperm donor/birthing process, but yes, your explanation is much better. It even includes non-parental guardians.