Author Topic: Spekkio...  (Read 44195 times)

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Spekkio...
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:26 pm »
No, it doesn't. Shikigami are death gods.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2006, 10:02:07 pm »

Then why do Bleach and Naruto refer to The God of Death, or Death God's as "Shinigami"

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2006, 01:26:05 am »
1) The two terms are interchangable depending on moral alignment
2) Possible translation issues could screw up everything in an anime. Lest we all forget the horrible tragedy of Digimon season two.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2006, 08:17:22 am »
Or 3) They might just have used the term without it being the same thing as in real life. Harle/Tsukiyomi sure doesn't look male to me.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2006, 09:58:01 am »
1) The two terms are interchangable depending on moral alignment
2) Possible translation issues could screw up everything in an anime. Lest we all forget the horrible tragedy of Digimon season two.

What happened in Digimon O.o

As for Bleach, the actual Kanji came up for it. The character said "Boku wa Shinigami desu" and then the translation came up for it.
Even Naruto had the actual God of Death Demon thingy be summoned, and they called it the Shinigami.
Tsukiyomi is also a move in Naruto, where the person is sent into the God of the Moons world.

Or 3) They might just have used the term without it being the same thing as in real life. Harle/Tsukiyomi sure doesn't look male to me.
Yes, but everything that is related to the moon is related with Harle (Tsukiyomi). And we all know saw a part of her relation to the Dark Moon, and we all know that Japanese games love to have puns in them. It'd be the basic principal of Tsukiyomi being related to the moon, and since she is a God in her own right, one being of that moon, then she is indeed literally Tsukiyomi, no matter what her gender may be.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2006, 01:53:17 am »

Sorry, Aura. Zaper's right on this.

In Japanese mythology, Shikigami are spirits summoned to serve or protect an Onmyoji, much like the western concept of a wizard's familiar. Shinto priests and miko (at least in fiction) also are capable of summoning shikigami.

Shinigami (lit. "death god" in Japanese. see also kami) is a term originally used for translating personifications of death, such as Death and the Grim Reaper, but later evolved into unique fantastic characters in original Japanese works of fiction, such as manga. The term "shinigami" may also be used more loosely to refer to any god associated with death. Although death deities have existed in Shintoism, they are usually not referred to as shinigami.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2006, 05:33:15 am »

In Japanese mythology, Shikigami are spirits summoned to serve or protect an Onmyoji, much like the western concept of a wizard's familiar. Shinto priests and miko (at least in fiction) also are capable of summoning shikigami.

Shinigami (lit. "death god" in Japanese. see also kami) is a term originally used for translating personifications of death, such as Death and the Grim Reaper, but later evolved into unique fantastic characters in original Japanese works of fiction, such as manga. The term "shinigami" may also be used more loosely to refer to any god associated with death. Although death deities have existed in Shintoism, they are usually not referred to as shinigami.
Auras not going to get any sleep tonight.
You should really say that you quoted it from Wikipedia, GreenGannon =D
And Bleach and Naruto suck.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2006, 04:51:02 pm »
Every time I get professional and encyclopedic it comes from Wikipedia. Unless it's a tongue-in-cheek joke. Then it doesn't.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2006, 06:21:19 pm »

*found hours later hanging in a noose.*

Seriously though, I probably just messed up the damn letters. とてもローマ手紙

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2006, 03:27:43 am »
Hey, it's not like I thought I'd ever see the day either.

No, I jest. It's not like the words were incredibly different looking. They looked pretty close, to be honest.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2006, 04:38:08 am »
Every time I get professional and encyclopedic it comes from Wikipedia. Unless it's a tongue-in-cheek joke. Then it doesn't.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't quote -_-

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:43 pm »
What if I heavily imply it instead? I really don't like using quotes unless I'm quoting a specific person. A mash of information from a collective group just doesn't seem to be the type of instance to use it.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2006, 11:10:12 pm »
So pretty much, I'm allowed to go to Wikipedia, plaguerise everything, put it into my assignment, and all because it is non-copyrighted and not made by one person?
Woah, cool.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2006, 11:19:33 pm »
As a matter of fact, you actually are. Wikipedia is open source. They say so themselves. Besides, this is hardly the same as plagiarizing the entire page and turning it in as your own assignment.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2006, 01:54:09 am »
But the philosophy surrounding your theory says that I can plaguerise it. And plus, the school wouldn't give a shit if it was open source or not. They'd say you copied what other people wrote, and thats that.