Poll

Which weapon would you want if fighting zombies?

Axe
Gun (only ammo you can carry)
Sawed-off shovel
Other, (please elaborate)
Chainsaw (don't forget fuel!)

Author Topic: What weapon when fighting Zombies?  (Read 7958 times)

LuccaFan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: What weapon when fighting Zombies?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 09:14:57 pm »
think about this, though.  With all the zombie chopping you'll be doing, the blade is gonna get real dull.  Soon you'll be left with a blunt metal weight, and that's not very useful in zombie smashing at all.

I like that one poster's idea of a flame thrower, problem is, burn=/=death.  Most things that burn can still move while burning, which makes me think it wouldn't be the best weapon of choice.

A gun is only as good as the marksmanship of the user, and personally, my aim is horrible.

I pick a totally tricked out school bus, with huge razors protruding from the frame on both sides, a big cow-mover-type-dealy like you see on the front of old trains, only outfitted with spikes and more blades.  The tires are wrapped up in heavy metal chains, to make crushing zombies an easier task.The glass is reinforced with iron bars, to prevent any zombies from getting through in case the glass breaks.  In the back of the buss is a flamethrower, a sniper rifle, and a machine gun, and several hundred pounds of ammo/gas for use by a gunman who pops out of the emergency exit on the roof.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 12:02:07 am »
think about this, though.  With all the zombie chopping you'll be doing, the blade is gonna get real dull.  Soon you'll be left with a blunt metal weight, and that's not very useful in zombie smashing at all.

Regardless of your weapon of choice, you're going to have to go through some maintenance. Guns actually need more care than most bladed weaponry and while you're sharpening a sword or axe, you can still USE it! While you're cleaning & breaking down your gun, you're completely screwed if anything happens (so either way, you should have a backup weapon)...

I like that one poster's idea of a flame thrower, problem is, burn=/=death.  Most things that burn can still move while burning, which makes me think it wouldn't be the best weapon of choice.

Yeah, burning in most zombie movies just results in flaming zombies...

I pick a totally tricked out school bus, with huge razors protruding from the frame on both sides, a big cow-mover-type-dealy like you see on the front of old trains, only outfitted with spikes and more blades.  The tires are wrapped up in heavy metal chains, to make crushing zombies an easier task.The glass is reinforced with iron bars, to prevent any zombies from getting through in case the glass breaks. 

And while you're making your school bus tank...? And jesus, if a chainsaw is going to run out of gas, think about a heavy-set vehicle like that! >_>
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:04:35 am by V_Translanka »

LuccaFan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 12:04:51 am »
no, you see, I have this anti-zombie school bus tank pre-made and ready in case a zombie attack ever occurs.  And it doesn't run on gas, it runs on water.  Look up Stan Meyer. :P

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 02:42:53 am »
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/10/emergency_zombie_kit_is_a_must.php
Well I just found this and I think its a pretty good combination, as well as a quick reference guide if you ever need to know what to do.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »
Well I did a little research on the matter and according to the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency, it looks like shotguns are about on par with Machetes for limited encounters, but the Machete shines when you have to go the distance. Sledgehammers aren't the bad either, but more cumbersome. Chainsaws are good for getting the brain-eaters to back away, but once you run outta gas, you're ass is grass. If you are defending a fortified position, a rifle is your best bet (until the ammo runs out) but don't forget that improvised weapons work wonders against the undead too. A baseball bat, a golf club, an old vinyl record, etc, can all stop a zombie if used correctly.

But at the end of the day, I'd probably go with a basic combination of a sledgehammer and a machete; otherwise known as a Longsword. Heavy enough to break some bones, powerful enough to cut off the head (often the only way to get those damn uppity corpses to stay down), light enough to be versatile, and no moving parts to jam.

But with all weapons, the real goal isn’t to fight off or kill a zombie, it is to buy time for you to escape.

When the blade goes too dull to cut flesh, it will still smash bone. What are you gonna do with a gun? Pistol Whipping gets old fast (and by "old" I mean "oh my god, get it off me, GET IT OFF ME! AAAAARRRGblglglblblbggl.. ... ... braaiiins.")

A pack of bubble gum and my bare hands, of course! :lol:
I really don't think you'd need any weapon, you could just run because they're exteremely slow. Really, in every zombie movie, have you ever noticed that even though the zombies move at the speed of a crippled turtle they manage to catch up to humans? Wtf!
28 days/weeks later? :wink:

Ah, but that is a new breed of zombies! Traditionally they are slow (possibly because they're dead and rigor mortis has set in... except rigor mortis goes away and then we're left with useless muscle masses that shouldn't be able to move)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 08:16:29 pm »
But Danny Boyle (director) and Alex Garland (writer) said that the creatures of 28 Days/Weeks Later (those infected with the "Rage Virus" weren't actually zombies.  They said they were a totally separate concept.

But let's be honest... at the end of the day Ragers are still practically Zombies.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »
Molotov Cocktails. BANG!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 02:30:38 am »
Molotov cocktails=poor man's flamethrower

Also, y'know, they make electric-powered chainsaws...Though I guess stocking up on juice is almost the same as a gas crisis...

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 03:15:54 pm »
Molotov cocktails=poor man's flamethrower

Also, y'know, they make electric-powered chainsaws...Though I guess stocking up on juice is almost the same as a gas crisis...

There's nothing wrong with saving money, y'know.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 03:55:13 pm »
Yeah, but in a dystopian, zombie-filled future, I was thinking money is no object...especially since we're just talking about the best weapons to use fighting zombies...>_>

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:42 pm »
Actually, I think some people would still think of money as actually having worth.  I mean, their hopes would be so high that they would expect society capable of surviving and rebuilding itself, just as it used to be.  In that light, they would save their money for "when the world returns to normal and I can use this money".  But in the end, it would probably be an overly optimistic thought to do so.

Or they could just be greedy.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 06:12:49 pm »
I suppose it'd depend on 1) how rampant the zombie-ness was & 2) how organized the military was to combat the problem. But usually it's 1) full fledged & rapid and 2) not very or not at all or they get zombified too.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 09:42:15 pm »
Fine, in that case, the best weapon would be some sort of incendiary bomb. Or are we talking strictly hand-held weapons?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 04:12:51 am »
Maybe raiding a military facility would be a good idea after hitting up the gun shop & hardware store would be a good idea...Do you have your zombie survival/escape-route map ready?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 05:34:24 am »
Everybody know that if zombies attack the best place in the world to be, is in a mall.