Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336624 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3285 on: June 15, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
Nicely on topic, I love Rick Riordan. I just finished his second book of the Kane Chronicles and it was a glorious literary romp. The books have meaning to them, but they are so very fun as well. I often enjoy books, but Riordan's works have a sense of fun to them that I wouldn't often associate with just reading. It is sort of like sitting around with good friends and cracking all sorts of jokes, but there's actual meaningful storytelling going on as well.

For those of you not in the know, Riordan has started 2 series of books about real-world mythologies (Greek and Egyptian). The books are essentially modern-day continuations of the old mythologies.

I think the thing that annoys me the most about Pop Culture Greek Mythology is Hades being the bad guy, the same way that a lot of movies portray Anubis as a bad guy.  Is it REALLY that difficult to envision a god associated with death or the underworld as benign or neutral?  It annoys me SO MUCH.  Are we really that fearful of death?!

Note above. In Riordan's Greek series, Hades is disliked, but he is in no way a villain (except in that people assume he is once), and actually comes off rather nicely. In the Egyptian series, Anubis hasn't played a huge role yet, but definitely not a villain so far (and a bit of a love interest for one of the main characters, actually).

I am just hoping that someday he'll start a Norse series as well.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »
Aside from Odin, Mr Ibis was probably my favorite portrayal (though I do dearly love Mr Nancy). I love the way he wrote and the way his script was described; he's so very precise and methodical, and alien and non-American in his Egyptian obsession with detail and ritual. Thoth is so cool.

Is it REALLY that difficult to envision a god associated with death or the underworld as benign or neutral?  It annoys me SO MUCH.  Are we really that fearful of death?!

Oh yeah, totally. I think for whatever reason it's very hard for some people to wrap their minds around a god of death that isn't evil, just as it's hard for people to accept Loki's strange, strange role within the Norse cycle. (One of the things I love about Loki is that apparently he creates as much chaos within academic circles as he does in the myths! An archeologist once told me that there's no end to the debates and confusion. XD)

And IDFK about Anubis. You're right, people just love him, and I don't know why. He's the god of freaking EMBALMING, which is significantly less exciting to us than it was for the Egyptians, I would imagine! I like the guy too-- psychopomps are always cool-- but I think people are just attracted to him because of his, aha, character design. The jackal-headed god does look pretty epic, but he's jackal-like in that he hangs around dead people and is loyal like a dog, not in a wild, adventurous way. Hades is the same: he's completely devoted to his duties as Lord of the Dead. He's not rebellious or exciting. He's pretty dull, actually. I mean, he's known for his invisible helmet. He clearly got the Aquaman end of the god power stick.

In conclusion, yes Set is waaaaaay cooler.

Weren't the Morrigan present at the battle, though?  The girl with Pict-ish (I have dubbed that a legit word) tattoos and wearing the crow's wing who talks to Easter?  Didn't she say she was a part of the Morrigan?

You know, now that you mention it, you're right-- it's been three years, and I was in crazy paroxysms of excitement when I read it (which means I read it waaay too fast), so I'm sure I missed quite a lot. XD Clearly I need to read it again!

Quote from: Sajainta
Dude.  Historical periods are totally fandoms.  Okay, well maybe I'm just in denial that there isn't a thriving French Revolution fandom...  I do consider it a fandom though.  That probably shows off my uber-nerdiness really well.

Ooh, the French Revolution!

I definitely treat historical periods like fandoms as well. I wish more people did, though it would be a BIT weird if fangirls started shipping actual people. If Romanticism were a fandom, there would be so. so. SO. MANY Byron/Shelley shippers. D:

Quote from: Thought
The books have meaning to them, but they are so very fun as well. I often enjoy books, but Riordan's works have a sense of fun to them that I wouldn't often associate with just reading. It is sort of like sitting around with good friends and cracking all sorts of jokes, but there's actual meaningful storytelling going on as well.

My littlest brother (who is 11) absolutely adores the Percy Jackson series, and way back when I was tutoring English a bunch of my students were into it-- everyone from elementary school kids to 15 year olds. Their response to it was very strong and I love YA lit myself, so I skimmed some of the first book at one point. When I saw that Hades was "the villain" and that Dionysos' role was rather ignoble, I rolled my eyes and put the book back on the shelf.

Obviously, this means I am a jaded old fogey and I need to actually read the books. It's good to know that kids are so interested in a quality series!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:21:02 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3287 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:31 pm »
I just watched L - Change the World. I don't care what most people say; sure it's a bit corny, sure it was slow paced and long, sure it was hardly a thriller, but I loved every friggin moment of it! My only disappointment is lack of Mello and how the movie was inaccurate to the canon, but besides that it was worth seeing the relationship between L and Near. Hah, can't believe this mathematical prodigy turns out to be a formidable challenger to Kira.  :D

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3288 on: June 15, 2011, 11:29:34 pm »
I just watched L - Change the World.

I've have a copy of that movie for months, and for some reason I always forget to watch it xD that reminds me that I need to check it out.

No eclipse for us, but we have a lovely full moon  :)

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: June 15, 2011, 11:42:37 pm »
I'm glad Sam got me into hockey. Because this is inteeeeense! INTENSE I SAY INTENSE

EDIT: Bruins win. Sam is throwing some Bruins gear at me and saying that we're going to Boston. Like... NOW. I love it when he gets crazy like this.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:42:43 am by Bard_of_Time »

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3290 on: June 17, 2011, 12:22:41 am »
Making an EPIC sandwich with everything I could find in the fridge xD... oh well, not everything everything, but a whole lot of  stuff. Partially inspired by the Cheese and Burguer society website :lol:

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3291 on: June 17, 2011, 06:24:58 am »
Making an EPIC sandwich with everything I could find in the fridge xD... oh well, not everything everything, but a whole lot of  stuff. Partially inspired by the Cheese and Burguer society website :lol:
Wow! O_O I've never had burgers like those before...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:07 am »
Want Burgers.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: June 17, 2011, 11:24:29 am »
So apparently we aren't going to Boston yesterday. Sam got his info mixed up. Instead, we're going tomorrow to watch the parade. They've got these things, right? Sam calls them ducks. They're boats, right? But they go from the water onto land. He wants to show me them. Says they're epic.

I'll have oodles of fun in Boston. :D

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3294 on: June 17, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
Those are very awesome burguers indeed xD

I made my sandwich and it was awesome, but I left the half of it. I wrapped the half in tin foild and I bringed it today to the office as lunch... but I just noticed... this is not my sandwich! xD it has the same ingredients, but this is not the same bread, and more importantly, this is a whole sandwich not a half, wtf? XD

So apparently we aren't going to Boston yesterday. Sam got his info mixed up. Instead, we're going tomorrow to watch the parade. They've got these things, right? Sam calls them ducks. They're boats, right? But they go from the water onto land. He wants to show me them. Says they're epic.

I'll have oodles of fun in Boston.

It's nice to hear how much fun you're having with your brother  :)

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3295 on: June 17, 2011, 02:10:37 pm »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: June 17, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
I think it's either an ARG or "another book".

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3297 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:36 pm »
It's confirmed it's not another book, but if it is an ARG I'm going to DIE. If it is an MMO or something like that I'm going to die twice. I've being doing some research around and the trademark description of "Pottermore" is ridiculously broad, from social networks and online games to christmas tree ornaments and pens. Whatever it is, the secrecy is exciting!  :D (....plus, I'm sooo caffeinated right now)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:02:49 pm by Licawolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3298 on: June 17, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »
XD I'm glad it's not another book (I got sick of the series after the final one, and would puke to read any prequels or sequels of it). The movies are still good, though (Goblet of Fire was awesome)! Whatever this Pottermore is, it promises one thing for sure: More Potter.

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3299 on: June 17, 2011, 04:48:51 pm »
I wouldn't mind another book >_> or other 7...

...but I'm rabid fangirl like that...but anyway xD the most popular guess is that it's some sort of social networking site, I really don't know what to expect. "More Potter" sounds just excellent for me xD