Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484430 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4605 on: November 22, 2009, 06:31:13 pm »
Volume imbalances. And web audio that plays without the user's manual approval.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4606 on: November 23, 2009, 12:13:12 am »
Tim McGraw. He used to be awesome until somewhere along the line, he just got very very emo. He must be really unhappy being married to Faith Hill.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:09 am »
It still hasn't snowed here.  And I live in an area that is prone to snow.  :x

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: November 23, 2009, 06:18:49 pm »
It costs at least $200 US to buy a copy of Nobilis. I am fascinated by game design and just want to spend a weekend reading the thing; that isn't worth $200.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: November 23, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »
Something's up with my agent.  Not exactly sure what, but it doesn't look good.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4610 on: November 23, 2009, 08:44:53 pm »
Frustration: Math projects. I've been able to add forever, but it really sucks when I have to break it down and explain how to add, and why it's done that way. I'm supposed to give a presentation about adding and subtracting in binary. I can do all the arithmetic, I'm just having a hard time slowing down and putting it to words.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4611 on: November 23, 2009, 09:43:05 pm »
The built in bias English has when dealing with mental disorders, and the culture that bias reflects. A person has the flu; a person is bipolar. Stigmatizing a health issue is foolish and cruel, particularly when one can do nothing to influence whether or not they poses it.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: November 23, 2009, 11:57:05 pm »
The built in bias English has when dealing with mental disorders, and the culture that bias reflects. A person has the flu; a person is bipolar. Stigmatizing a health issue is foolish and cruel, particularly when one can do nothing to influence whether or not they poses it.

Those are just the grammatically correct way to announce the condition of a person.

Would you rather it went "a person have the flu" or "He are bipolar"?

Nothing to get frustrated over, though I will say something about people accusing Leprosy of being contagious.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: November 24, 2009, 01:31:00 am »
From your reply, I'm not sure you understood RD's comment. He was saying that sicknesses like the flu are assigned to people with the possessive verb "to have," while sicknesses like bipolar disorder are assigned with the identifying verb "to be."

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: November 24, 2009, 01:45:13 am »

Well, bipolar can be treated nowadays.  That's a relief.

As for the flu, it's mostly a matter of how you cover your coughs and sneezes and washing your hands after using the bathroom and use hand sanitizer conservatively.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4615 on: November 24, 2009, 02:03:30 am »
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/a7hnv/wow_it_turns_out_the_guy_who_was_paralyzed_but/

The guy who was paralyzed for 23 years but couldn't communicate? Yeah, apparently this is pseudoscience called facilitated communication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication

Thank goodness the for-profit media rushed out this miraculous story without fact-checking the events and pseudoscience behind FC. They went to the bank, and the public at large was misinformed.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4616 on: November 24, 2009, 02:37:11 am »

Well, bipolar can be treated nowadays.  That's a relief.

As for the flu, it's mostly a matter of how you cover your coughs and sneezes and washing your hands after using the bathroom and use hand sanitizer conservatively.

You are still missing my point entirely, even after Josh was kind enough to explain it to you explicitly.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: November 24, 2009, 03:51:12 am »
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/a7hnv/wow_it_turns_out_the_guy_who_was_paralyzed_but/

The guy who was paralyzed for 23 years but couldn't communicate?
Looking up this story, I found some scary things. Because of how it involves PVS, I learned of how (mostly Conseratives) people doubt the Terri Schiavo autopsy.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: November 24, 2009, 05:49:32 am »
My frustration is when people say one thing and then immediately undermine it with a disclaimer or a major exception. The classic example is those "I'm not a racist, but..." remarks, but the one that set me off just now is "I consider myself pretty liberal, but I'm no tree hugger." Using conservative phrasing to oversimplify and vilify one of the major areas of liberal concern (environmentalism and conservation) is not exactly a good way to establish liberal bona fides. I bet you a steak dinner that this person is nominally liberal but has never actually given much thought to it.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4619 on: November 24, 2009, 11:02:45 am »
My frustration is when people say one thing and then immediately undermine it with a disclaimer or a major exception. The classic example is those "I'm not a racist, but..." remarks, but the one that set me off just now is "I consider myself pretty liberal, but I'm no tree hugger." Using conservative phrasing to oversimplify and vilify one of the major areas of liberal concern (environmentalism and conservation) is not exactly a good way to establish liberal bona fides. I bet you a steak dinner that this person is nominally liberal but has never actually given much thought to it.

Come now, I doubt you'd be this critical to someone's bona fides if someone like me were to say "I'm a Christian, but I'm not a Bible thumper." Proselytizing is just as important to the majority of Christian attitudes as environmentalism is to liberals, but it is possible to be a Christian or liberal and have a certain disdain with a particular practice or belief of it.

RD, you're referring to two different things in this case. Bi-polar as you used it is an adjective, and flu is a noun. You don't use the possessive with an adjective, nor do you use "to be" with a noun(very rarely, anyways). It's not uncommon to hear someone say "He has bi-polar disorder," over "He is bi-polar." The inverse is also true. A person can be feverish, or they can have a fever.

But at this point I'm probably just trying to be difficult. I see what you're getting at here, and yeah, the scale seems to be unfavorably tipped towards mental disorders. Perhaps it has to do with the nature of the disease, and that mental disorders change the person's actual being. I doubt we would disagree that bi-polar disorder affects one's personality and individual being more than the flu does.