Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 151463 times)

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #300 on: June 16, 2008, 09:13:35 am »
Erarre humanum est.
~Doctus and probably someone more important...

Having failed to succeed, you have in fact found success at failure.
~Someone... maybe? might have made it up... but I say it a lot...?

With this sword I have slain 1000 demons... more or less.
~Swordmage: Makai Senki Disgaea

This engine is so weak it couldn't pull a greasy string out of a duck's ass.
~Any given redneck in my area...

"No, the answer is, no. It can't be done."

"Then what's this?"

"...Damn you."
~I forget...

Law of inverse proportional gravity:
Any object that becomes airborn is immediately very fast. The larger and more convoluted the object is, the higher, faster and farther it travels while airborn. Moutains are the fastest natural structure.
~One of many anime law lists...

Instead of putting an electrical device that, when broken, automatically opens the prison doors on tha inside of the room... I designed MY fortress with a device that fuzes the door shut and docks the air to the room when tampered with.
~The one smart Evil Overlord

Furby is not allowed at classified military conferences.
~An actual enforced law under penalty of courtmartial.

I'll get you for this! I'll do... something... really... not to your liking!! eventually...maybe.
~I forget, but it's likely from Jhonen Vasquez's work.

CAUTION: Flux capacitor will not engage,
Low blinker fluid,
Hyperdrive rattles above 560321 km/h
~an actual airline malfunction report

There's 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't
~some guy at some point...

"Listening to you is like bathing in acid while chewing on tin foil, masturbating with sandpaper, cleaning your ears out with a mace, washing your hands with chalk, wearing contacts made from onion skins, and trying to defeat the plastic bag on your head in a sucking contest."

"I--"

"I wasn't finished, that was just the intro to my 13 page essay on the subject."
~one of my friends @ a guy in my modeling class

Life's a bitch, then you die.
~My grandfather, who has had better days.

"Just because he's black doesn't mean you have to make a note of it. Why do you have to bring race into it if you're just gonna say you aren't racist!?"

"Ok... here, you try and describe me to someone who's never met me, without looking at me, while about 400 people with brown hair, a slight bit of weight, and not very much height walk by... and do it without mentioning my glasses."

"..."
~conversation from my middleschool days...

That brings me to my next one...

The only people who really care about racism are usually so 'politically correct' that the mention of a race, any race, is considered an offence. So how is that different?
~Another one of my friends

Damn you Windows updates, I like the crappy way my crappy stuff works now, crappily... there's no telling what will happen when you try to crap on it some more.
~almost every windows user...

Damn you windows update... damn you.
~the truncated "I'm too tired" versionof the former

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2008, 09:23:22 am »
"Just because he's black doesn't mean you have to make a note of it. Why do you have to bring race into it if you're just gonna say you aren't racist!?"

"Ok... here, you try and describe me to someone who's never met me, without looking at me, while about 400 people with brown hair, a slight bit of weight, and not very much height walk by... and do it without mentioning my glasses."

"..."

I've actually had (pretty much) this exact same conversation on more than one occasion.  Always ends the same way: the awkward silence of defeat.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2008, 11:23:16 am »
I've actually had (pretty much) this exact same conversation on more than one occasion.  Always ends the same way: the awkward silence of defeat.

Actually, it is incredibly easy to describe a person without referencing race (or glasses). What do you think Science Fiction and Fantasy authors do? It isn't very useful to describe a character in, say, LORT as being Arab if there are no Arabs in that world (and no Arabia). Or to describe someone as Asian if Earth doesn't even exist anymore (and thus, no Asia) in the fictional world of, say, Dune. Physical characteristics, like glasses, are useful as giving individuals a physical trait to clue in on, but they aren’t needed.

Of course, one could also easily describe personality characteristics rather than physical or social characteristics. However, to be fair, that only works if you want the person to be identifiable on acquaintance, rather than on appearance.

There are numerous ways of having that conversation without ending in the awkward silence of defeat. You just need to argue with more creative people ;)

The Doctor: Don't worry, Reinette, just a nightmare. Everyone has nightmares. Even monsters from under the bed have nightmares.
Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
The Doctor: Me!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:46:06 am by Thought »

Satoh

• Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:59 am »
If there was creativity or intelligence in my middle school, I don't think it would have been an issue...

"How did you fool that gorilla?"

"Simple, I made a sound like a banana"

Salad a firm's own make; limpid red beet soup with cheesy dumplings in the form of a finger; roasted duck let loose; beef rashers beaten up in the country people's fashion.

The flattening of underwear with plessure is the job of the chambermaid

We invite you to take advantage of the chambermaid

You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers, artists and writers are buried daily except Thursday

You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers, artists and writers are buried daily except Thursday

Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in boots of ascension.

Is forbidden to steal hotel towels please. If you are not a person to do such thing is please not to read notis.

It is strictly forbidden on our Black Forest camping site that people of different sex, for instance, men and women, live  together in one tent unless they are married with each other for that purpose.

Please do not feed the animals. If you have any suitable foods, give it to the guard on duty.

When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage, then tootle him with vigor.

It is forbidden to enter a woman even a foreigner if dressed as a man

WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?

IF YOU CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS

WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL
DOESN'T WORK)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:52 am »
Revives? Crono don't need no stinkin' revives...!

~Our Friendly Neighborhood Translanka

x_XTacTX_x

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:40 am »
"Aren't you that fuckfaced kid who barely ever talks?"

"Yeah?"

"Got any pussy lately?"

"I just got $500 for my artwork."

"Shutup queer...

Paper or Plastic?"

Conversation with a Senior student from my high school yesterday at Wal Mart.

OH SNAP.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:19 pm »
Quote from: fark
topic:"Very cool new Discovery Channel commercial"

eqtworld: You materialists make me sick "the world" is nothing compared to the awesomeness of our Lord and Savior; Jesus Christ. /My God is an awesome God, he reigns from heaven above...

Poo_Fight: My God is a mediocre God. He's prone to forgetfulness and fits of smiting.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2008, 11:21:58 am »
Quote from: Facebook

10:04 PM: Grant has added the song Intergalactic by The Beastie Boys to her profile

10:06 PM: Grant is wondering why Facebook thnks he's a girl

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:42 pm »
Quote from: fark
topic:"Very cool new Discovery Channel commercial"

eqtworld: You materialists make me sick "the world" is nothing compared to the awesomeness of our Lord and Savior; Jesus Christ. /My God is an awesome God, he reigns from heaven above...

Poo_Fight: My God is a mediocre God. He's prone to forgetfulness and fits of smiting.

Man kind has never conceived of a god who could even approach the beauty and glory of the natural universe we observe around us, and that we ourselves are a part of. Boom de yada!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2008, 09:31:52 pm »
Quote from: Richard Branson
I believe in benevolent dictatorship provided I am the dictator.

Boy, has that ever been my philosophy...

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #310 on: July 06, 2008, 04:35:59 pm »
“Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior.”

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 06, 2008, 05:30:06 pm »
Quote from: John Mccain
"I have developed a plan to counter gas prices. If anyone can create an alternatively powered engine that leap-frogs the Hybrid Car, you will be awarded $3,000,000

That's exactly what this nation needs. Oh thank you, Wise John Mccain, for doing the exact opposite of your job.

(The quote is paraphrased, more or less.)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2008, 06:38:52 am »
Quote from: wikipedia link="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999..."
Of the elementary proofs, multiplying 0.333… = 1⁄3 by 3 is apparently a successful strategy for convincing reluctant students that 0.999… = 1. Still, when confronted with the conflict between their belief of the first equation and their disbelief of the second, some students either begin to disbelieve the first equation or just simply become frustrated.

That applies to pretty much everything. Either it works, or it pisses them off.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:41:09 am by Kebrel »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2008, 03:15:47 pm »
Quote from: John Mccain
"I have developed a plan to counter gas prices. If anyone can create an alternatively powered engine that leap-frogs the Hybrid Car, you will be awarded $3,000,000
That's exactly what this nation needs. Oh thank you, Wise John Mccain, for doing the exact opposite of your job.

Since he is a senator, his job is to vote in the senate. Thus, the exact opposite of his job is to not vote. Now, considering that he is currently running for president, I expect his voting record (as a percentage of votes he has been present for) has been lower since he started running, but that is perfectly in line with most presidental candidates. However, by running for president, any senator is then almost inherently doing the exact opposite of their job (this would include Obama as well).

Or perhaps you meant to talk about his job in a more general sense, as a part of the government. In that case, the job of the government is generally to help lead a society/nation. Leaders are notably not doers; they get other people to work towards a common goal. In which case, McCain is doing exactly what his job (as a part of a government so defined) entails and what we should expect a member of the government to do; attempt to lead people towards a common goal (in this case, developing alternative fuel sources to the level where they are practically implementable on a large scale).

So color me confused; what, exactly, is the basis for stating that McCain is behaving in a manner exactly opposite to his job?

Quote from: John Wesley
Permit me, sir, to give you one piece of advice. Be not so positive; especially with regard to things which are neither easy nor necessary to be determined. When I was young I was sure of everything. In a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before. At present, I am hardly sure of anything...

Quote from: Erasmus
I have turned my entire attention to Greek. The first thing I shall do, as soon as the money arrives, is to buy some Greek authors; after that, I shall buy clothes.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »
Now that I think about it, my post might have conflicted with democracy itself.

I meant as in he's running for president, yet he's relying on the US populus too much. Then again, in a way that's how America has been running it's entire life...

Yeah, I screwed myself over on that one.