Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 149098 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:41 pm »
Quote from: Lord J Esq
Democracy is Bullshit - I haven't said that in a while, so I figured I might clear up any doubts as to whether or not I still feel that way.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2008, 05:20:44 pm »
Now that I think about it, my post might have conflicted with democracy itself.

I meant as in he's running for president, yet he's relying on the US populus too much. Then again, in a way that's how America has been running it's entire life...

Thanks for clearing the matter up; I was genuinely confused as to what you meant, but now that you've explained it I think I understand what you were getting at.

By "relying on the US populous" do you mean that he is trusting them too much to have the ability to develop (in this case) alternate fuel cars? Or do you mean that he is following the populous opinion too much (in this case, alternate fuel being a concern of the populous primarily out of concern over their pocketbook, rather than it being a perceived  good)? (or something else I didn't think of?)

And since we are on the topic of democracy and governments:

Quote from: C.S. Lewis
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 09, 2008, 05:58:02 pm »
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

~ Steven Weinberg

Weinberg's statement is true as far as it goes, but it is not the whole truth. To make it the whole truth, we must add an additional clause: "And for bad people to do good things—that takes religion."

~ Freeman Dyson

"Heretics who question the dogmas are needed... I am proud to be a heretic. The world always needs heretics to challenge the prevailing orthodoxies."

~ Freeman Dyson
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:11:17 pm by Thought »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2008, 11:04:16 pm »
BATMAN HAS NO LIMITS

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2008, 01:23:39 am »
BATMAN HAS NO LIMITS
d
Wonder what movie you went to see/are planing to see x

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2008, 11:13:36 pm »
BATMAN HAS NO LIMITS
d

OMFG, I saw that today. Best. Batman. Movie. EVER!

Quote from: The Joker
You'll see... When the cards are on the table, these civilized people... Will eat eachother.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2008, 03:13:16 pm »
Picard is the ambassador of humanity. If someone like him were to arise in the near future, I wish I would be able to support and follow that individual, I wish I could live that long to see it happen and many other things...

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2008, 03:31:45 pm »
Quote from: Neil Cicerga or however you spell it.
TV says donuts are high in fat, Kazoo! 'Found a hobo in my room..It's Princess Leia, The Yodel of Life, give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar!!

Atlas

• Springtime of Youth
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Steam Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2008, 01:52:43 am »
After a good, successful torture, she was as happy as I ever saw her. I guess everyone needed a hobby.
~Laurell K. Hamilton (In a book)

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:48 am »
That's it, Snake. Hurt me more. Make me feel alive again.
                                                                                    ~ Gray Fox
Kuwabara, Kuwabara.
                                                                                    ~ Colonel Volgin

More!!!

You want to save?

You doubt my power?

Snake!

Liquid!

I was the one who killed your parents

How dare you I'm an artist

It does look good on me though

Who is that?

Snake, this is a non smoking flight

This is Rat Patrol Team 01

Akiba!
                                                  ~ MGS4

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2008, 04:41:40 pm »
BATMAN HAS NO LIMITS
d

OMFG, I saw that today. Best. Batman. Movie. EVER!

You'll see... When the cards are on the table, these civilized people... Will eat eachother.

And there's always :
Why so serious?!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 31, 2008, 01:59:08 am »
Quote from: Brandon Lee
Eat--or die!
(his philosophy of life!)

I'm really interested in that point you reach w hen you actually fail from exhaustion at something, whether it's weight training or cardiovascular exercise. I'm interested in seeing just how much of that is a physical point and how much of it is a mental point. When you reach that point where you say, "Oh, that's it! I can't do another one," if you actually challenge yourself with something like "All right, there's a man standing with a gun to your mother's head, and he says, 'If you do one more' of whatever it is you're doing--say, jump rope for one more minute--'I won't pull the trigger, otherwise I will'"--see if you can do it! You've got to try and challenge yourself this way. I find that you have to amke it into a game at some  level in order to continue doing whatever foolish thing it is you're doing that's causing you so much discomfort!

Well, i would say this: when you move down the road towards mastery of the martial arts—and you know, you are constantly moving down that road—you end up coming up against these barriers inside yourself that will attempt to stop you from continuing to pursue hte mastery of the martial arts. And these barriers are such things as when you come up against your own limitations, when you come up against the limitations f your will, your ability, your natural ability, your courage, how you deal with success—and failure as well, for that matter. And as you overcome each one of these barriers, you end up learning something about yourself. And sometimes, the things you learn a bout yourself can, to the individual, seem to convey a certain spiritual sense along with them.

...It's funny, every time you come up against a true barrier to your progress, you are a child again. And it's a very interesting experience to be reduced, once again, to the level of knowing nothing about what you're doing. I think there's a lot of room for learning and growth when that happens—if you face it head on and don't choose to say, "Ah, screw that! I'm going to do something else!"

We reduce ourselves at a certain point in our lives to kind of solely pursuing things that we already kno how to do. You know, because you don't want to have that experience of not knowing what you're doing and being an amateur again. And I think that's rather unfortunate. It's so much interesting and usually illuminating to put yourself in a  situation where you don't know what's going to happen, than to do something again that you already know essentially what the outcome will be within three or four points either way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:03:46 am by ZeaLitY »

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2008, 03:29:09 pm »
Quote from: Me; date=1218068760
Science and logic are tools for inferring and deducing the truth. Religion is a tool to make up one’s own truth!

That sounds quite familiar; I wonder if it's a slightly different reiteration of some other quote I have come cross.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:31:27 pm by MsBlack »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2008, 09:04:17 pm »
Mom: Kennedy and the Chappaquiddick murder incident, is a good example of forgive and forget.
Younger brother: JFK killed a Indian!?!(was completely serious)
Me/Mom: *facepalm*

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2008, 04:01:56 am »
Woodrow Wilson

Of course, like every other man of intelligence and education I do believe in organic evolution. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised.

Letter to Winterton C. Curtis (29 August 1922)

Hah. If only someone could have told him that by 2022, it'd still be raised.