Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 336624 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #4005 on: May 16, 2018, 02:33:59 am »
I'm genuinely kind of LOVEing how many people are here. At first it felt like just three or four people, and even now it's probably not a ton more than that, but the level of activity is enough that, after being away for three weeks, I can't even get to all the new posts in a single evening. I've seen glimpses of people, like V_Translanka in one thread and alfador in another thread, and now Z is back.

Selfishly, I wish some of the others I was close to would also return--the ones who were scattered to the wind and are never coming back.

But I'm loving that, at least for now, the Compendium seems genuinely active again! The size of the Compendium itself is a little bit daunting--thousands of threads--and we'll never be that big again, but, in one nice corner of this enormous cathedral, there is a genuine Chrono tea party going on, and I love it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:26 am »
::raises glass of soda pop::

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:10 am »
Whenever I visit the doctor there's a bubble tea shop on the drive back, so I stop there. Today I tried their honeydew flavor and OMG it is real honeydew. Fragrant, pungent, a little bit of that musky melon goodness. So incredible! I previously had only ever tried their taro flavor, and to be honest I've had better, but their honeydew is the best honeydew bubble tea I've ever had (and I've had a few; it's probably my third-favorite flavor).

Also, if you don't get both tapioca pearls AND lychee jellies you're a filthy casual scrub. =P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: May 30, 2018, 12:21:55 am »
I EFFING LOVE BUBBLE TEA!

I love it so much, I went to the local Farmer's Market and was walking around drinking one (there was a thai cart selling them). My daughter wanted to pet a dog, so we went over and the adults talked while my daughter played with the dog. He asked what I was drinking (since he could see the tapioca pearls) and, without thinking, I handed him my drink, popped the lid off, and told him to drink. Slightly embarrassed at what I had done, I was surprised when he drank it. And liked it enough to go buy himself one.

We still laugh about it.

On that note, I love this face. For those who don't know, this is from Arrested Development S5E01. I just started watching the new season while wrapping up some work.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:15 pm »
I haven't had bubble tea in AGES! Now I'm going to have to find a place that has some! That stuff is sooo good.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: May 30, 2018, 07:32:26 pm »
So, I watched the trailer of the recently announced new Fallout game. Putting aside what I think of that, I must say, I just love the rendition of "Country Roads" they used for the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ye84Zrqndo

Slower paced from what I'm used to hearing the song, but I like it nonetheless. It's a good song, either way.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:12 am »
So, I watched the trailer of the recently announced new Fallout game. Putting aside what I think of that, I must say, I just love the rendition of "Country Roads" they used for the trailer.

Studio Ghibli also did several decent covers of the song for Whisper of the Heart. lonlonjp, a super talented guitar player in Japan, also did an excellent acoustic only (no lyrics) version that is probably my favorite version of the tune.

https://youtu.be/m6LL6W-xVoA?t=56

Soooooo gooooooood.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: May 31, 2018, 01:09:22 am »

Studio Ghibli also did several decent covers of the song for Whisper of the Heart. lonlonjp, a super talented guitar player in Japan, also did an excellent acoustic only (no lyrics) version that is probably my favorite version of the tune.

https://youtu.be/m6LL6W-xVoA?t=56

Soooooo gooooooood.

Ah yes, I've watched Whisper of the Heart, and their version(s) of the song. Very nice, too.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: June 03, 2018, 12:28:06 am »
The most underrated Ghibli film, in my opinion. That or Porco Rosso, but at least people talk about Porco Rosso. Whisper of the Heart, since it's not from Miyazaki, does not get the love it deserves.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: June 03, 2018, 01:24:18 am »
I fucking love Whisper of the Heart. I empathize very much with Shizuku in that she struggles to balance a guaranteed future with a potential future of passion (as in passion of loving what you do, not passion in a lustful/relational sense) -- although I do find it a bit idealistic that she and Seiji agree to get married after high school.

Regardless, when I was growing up in North Dakota (the first time I could get around with my own transportation; prior to this I grew up in Ohio and other places), I found the ages from 16 to 18 to be the most formulative of my life. More so than my early teens.

It was here I discovered that there is this dichotomy within me, one I haven't yet managed to ride to conclusion. I love love LOVE the country and the quality of life it offers: serene landscapes, slow pace of life, generally good people, a sense of community. I grew up with this in a small farming community in Ohio and even now there are times I miss it.

The other side of that dichotomy is that longing for meaning in the hustle and bustle of the big city. Proving one's value amongst the sea of other heads is the penultimate valuation of worth in the human race. And it's incredibly vain and inaccurate. That proto-hipster (or is it pseudo-hipster) aspect of my personality longs to have the loft, forego my car in favor of public transportation, the constant stream of strangers entering and leaving me life, so on and so forth.

That's not really something that is touched upon in Whisper of the Heart, but I say that in that when I lived in ND I found my Shiro's antique shop there in the cold wastes of North Dakota. You see, during that age I had discovered my artistic side and was practicing film photography, and I spent MANY nights going to downtown Bismarck (which in hindsight hardly constitutes as a downtown) and would walk around late into the night listening to shitty emo music and taking pictures.

One of those nights I found a little art shop; to this day I swear it had the most serenely beautiful window I'd ever seen. Small lit trinkets, old fashioned bulbs, and a thousand pieces of prismatic beauty decorated that window from sunset to sunrise. Eventually I befriended the woman who owned the small art store and she even showcased a few of my photographs (which never sold). I loved going to her store and just looking at all the trinkets that she sold. Something about it sparked that creative bone deep within me and never let go.

Soon I moved away for college and haven't been back since. I never did find my baron, although the memories of the place still haunt me. Haunt me in that it was beautiful, that feeling never quite recaptured. I miss it.

When I watch Whisper of the Heart I think of that woman and her shop. I'm sure it's closed by now, as Bismarck, ND was not a very creative city. The people were as cold and isolated as the city itself.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: June 06, 2018, 11:23:08 pm »
I fucking love Whisper of the Heart. I empathize very much with Shizuku in that she struggles to balance a guaranteed future with a potential future of passion...

WotH (you have to read the whole name when I type that; I'm just super short on time!!) to me is the greatest coming-of-age movie ever made that captures what it actually feels like to come of age. It's amazing.

I only first saw it when I was roughly 30 years old, but if I'd seen it when I was their age...it would have become a foundational part of my worldview.

I wish I had time to really do one of my Novel-Class Posts on this, because there are so many intricacies of that film that resonate with me. <3 <3 <3

Regardless, when I was growing up in North Dakota (the first time I could get around with my own transportation; prior to this I grew up in Ohio and other places), I found the ages from 16 to 18 to be the most formulative of my life. More so than my early teens.

That's because you weren't fully "you" in your early teens, yet! For most people, the high school years are when their identity truly coalesces, which includes the self-awareness to understand oneself as such. That's why it's the age that characters in most coming-of-age stories are set. Most people know their high school years (whether or not a "high school" was actually involved; maybe I should just say Ages 14 - 19) were special, but they can't put their finger on why. Those are the years when most people truly bring their will to bear on the world for the first time. Self-assertion and declaration! It's beautiful.

It was here I discovered that there is this dichotomy within me, one I haven't yet managed to ride to conclusion. I love love LOVE the country and the quality of life it offers: serene landscapes, slow pace of life, generally good people, a sense of community. I grew up with this in a small farming community in Ohio and even now there are times I miss it.

The other side of that dichotomy is that longing for meaning in the hustle and bustle of the big city. Proving one's value amongst the sea of other heads is the penultimate valuation of worth in the human race. And it's incredibly vain and inaccurate. That proto-hipster (or is it pseudo-hipster) aspect of my personality longs to have the loft, forego my car in favor of public transportation, the constant stream of strangers entering and leaving me life, so on and so forth.

I have a the same dilemma, probably for somewhat different reasons.

I have a great desire for vast open spaces, peace and quiet, sweeping vistas, and simply being left alone. My years on a remote mountain in the middle of nowhere decisively pushed the needle of my preferences in favor of living far away. I miss being able to take walks on the Ring Road and have the whole world to myself. I've attached an image of our view in one direction; there are no cities or towns anywhere in the picture. Of course I had a person living with me, so I don't mean I want to be completely alone, but rather to have a place where I turn off the rest of the world when I wanted to. Absolute splendor and silence.

On the other hand I am a true cosmopolitan. I love the city. I love that, currently, I live in the downtown of an arts city of 80,000 people. My car lives in a big cute parking garage; one of my favorite cafes in the city is right next door; there are a zillion restaurants nearby. When I lived in Seattle a decade ago I loved the same; loved being able to walk to get my groceries, walk to the post office, walk to the bank, walk to all of it. I love the cultural melange; the conflux of voices and worldviews. Cities are more tolerant and enlightened. They have to be, because you get to see the faces of the people you'd otherwise talk smack about.

I wish I had a home in the country and one in the city.

That's not really something that is touched upon in Whisper of the Heart, but I say that in that when I lived in ND I found my Shiro's antique shop there in the cold wastes of North Dakota. You see, during that age I had discovered my artistic side and was practicing film photography, and I spent MANY nights going to downtown Bismarck (which in hindsight hardly constitutes as a downtown) and would walk around late into the night listening to shitty emo music and taking pictures.

One of those nights I found a little art shop; to this day I swear it had the most serenely beautiful window I'd ever seen. Small lit trinkets, old fashioned bulbs, and a thousand pieces of prismatic beauty decorated that window from sunset to sunrise. Eventually I befriended the woman who owned the small art store and she even showcased a few of my photographs (which never sold). I loved going to her store and just looking at all the trinkets that she sold. Something about it sparked that creative bone deep within me and never let go.

That's a beautiful story. I can't do justice right now, in the words available to me in my tired and hurried state, to how deeply I felt that story when I read it.

Soon I moved away for college and haven't been back since. I never did find my baron, although the memories of the place still haunt me. Haunt me in that it was beautiful, that feeling never quite recaptured. I miss it.

When I watch Whisper of the Heart I think of that woman and her shop. I'm sure it's closed by now, as Bismarck, ND was not a very creative city. The people were as cold and isolated as the city itself.

I hope you're wrong. Go back there and check. =]

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: June 07, 2018, 12:52:37 pm »

Well now you have me curious... was one of your parents in the Armed Forces? I ask because it sound like you moved around a lot as a kid. Both my ex-husband and my current husband are both Navy brats. LOL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: June 07, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
Well now you have me curious... was one of your parents in the Armed Forces? I ask because it sound like you moved around a lot as a kid. Both my ex-husband and my current husband are both Navy brats. LOL

Naw, my dad was/is a minister. Was a pastor at a church for 25 years, then got pulled into administration -- he is really, really good with people and truly believes in what he does, so he was tapped to help support struggling churches, solve any issues that come up (let's say, a pastor gets in trouble for something -- my dad then has to go in and decide what to do), etc. The downside is that, in the denomination he is, they have term limits and what not and from my early teens to this day they are moving every few years.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:51 pm »
That is very interesting! Of course when you said when a pastor gets in trouble for something, I thought of Catholic priests IMMEDIATELY. LOL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: June 08, 2018, 09:57:55 am »
That is very interesting! Of course when you said when a pastor gets in trouble for something, I thought of Catholic priests IMMEDIATELY. LOL

Hahaha, my dad hasn't had to deal with that (knock on wood). He has had to deal with infidelity, infighting, embezzlement, etc. And it's not always the pastor -- it can be the treasurer, church council members, etc.

I know in cases of embezzlement my dad tries to do right by all parties. He's told me of quite a few instances where he agrees to not press charges on the condition that the pastor loses his minister license and is put on a payment plan to repay what he stole. As long as he abides by the two, charges are never pressed. But if he tiptoes out of line at all, then the church as a whole has legal recourse.

Stuff like that. And it's not always that kind of grim and somber stuff -- 95% of it is just hiring and helping fill vacant positions, help small, struggling churches, church planting stuff like that.

I am very, very non-religious and don't agree with the modern interpretation of the church (it should be taxed, more focus on helping care for the sick and needy, blah blah blah), but I do gotta give credit in that my dad really, truly believes in what he does and legitimately cares about people. I may not love his profession, but at least he's one of the (few) good ones.