Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 331907 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #4020 on: June 08, 2018, 06:39:22 pm »
I agree with you, churches should be taxed and maybe instead of spreading hate, they should be helping the people that the Bible preached about. I am also not religious, so I completely understand what you are saying. It does sound like your dad is one of the good guys though. They seem to be few and far between these days.

That was awesome of your dad though to give people a chance to right their wrong though. I don't think many people would do that. It sounds like you have good parents!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: June 08, 2018, 11:58:21 pm »
I don't think many people would do that. It sounds like you have good parents!

They're pretty cool. My mom has become more evangelical as she's gotten older, though. She's become a bit of a judgmental arse, hahaha... They're uber right wind and conservative, although my dad is actually the slightly more progressive one (barely). Very anti-gay, anti-immigrant, etc. My mom posted a "Happy Memorial Day to the Confederate Soldiers" on instagram and got like 6 likes. Normally she gets like 60.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: June 09, 2018, 10:49:26 am »
They're pretty cool. My mom has become more evangelical as she's gotten older, though. She's become a bit of a judgmental arse, hahaha... They're uber right wind and conservative, although my dad is actually the slightly more progressive one (barely). Very anti-gay, anti-immigrant, etc. My mom posted a "Happy Memorial Day to the Confederate Soldiers" on instagram and got like 6 likes. Normally she gets like 60.

That’s because the rest of the world is in denial that the South will rise again!! (I’ve been hearing that since I moved down here. Lol)

Yeah I have some relatives that are all “brimstone and fire” too. Around 4 or 5 years ago I posted some pro-gay marriage stuff on Facebook because well, I believe people should be able to marry who they love. We my aunt and one of my cousins used to gang up on me whenever I posted anything. Then on one of my posts one of my friends defended me and they are mad at me because I didn’t defend my family members. Why should I when you’ve been attacking me for months? It’s been 4-5 years and most of my mom’s family still won’t talk to me because of a stupid Facebook argument. It’s all so stupid and petty. So yes, I’m very glad I moved across the country!! (Sorry this wasn’t supposed to be a rant. Lol)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:34:02 am by PrincessNadia78 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: June 10, 2018, 12:17:22 am »
Nothing wrong with ranting. Ignorance is unfortunate, and overcoming religious indoctrination (or avoiding it altogether) is worthy of a high five.

High five!

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: June 10, 2018, 01:37:51 am »
Nothing wrong with ranting. Ignorance is unfortunate, and overcoming religious indoctrination (or avoiding it altogether) is worthy of a high five.

High five!

Thank you!! It took me a very long time ask I also had religion shoved down my throat growing up. It took time for me to find my way and that I can think what I want, I don’t need someone to tell me what I should be thinking!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: June 13, 2018, 03:17:57 am »
So I've been binge watching anime while I work (it's past 2:00AM here and I just wrapped up my work!), and I've been focusing on the 2001-2005 block of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim for the past year or so. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist, Outlaw Star...

Up next I hope to track down s-CRY-d. I have completely forgotten about it, but I've also been watching old Toonami/Adult Swim promos and saw a commercial for it. Moving on...

Shout out to how awesome Adult Swim was back in the day, with their little inhouse anime commercials with lofi hip-hop. It's crazy; I love love love lofi hip-hop and have always noticed a huge correlation to the genre and anime, but I never once put it together that it all started back with Adult Swim in the day. Mind blown.

Here's a really good 24/7 lofi hiphop station if you don't know what I'm talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPDKHva9N8

There are a lot of good ones but that's my favorite. The gif they use for it also helps set that old school Toonami/Adult Swim anime vibe.

But that's not what I love...

I freaking love Inuyasha. I liked it when it first aired and caught maybe the first 30 episodes or so, but that was it. I always liked the tone and attitude of the characters, and finally decided to watch it front-to-back.

I'm 192 episodes and 4 movies deep with only a few left, and I have really, really loved this show. It's taken me nearly a year to get through it, and I'm sad it's about over. I didn't expect this. Hell, I didn't even expect this response a month ago (I've binged probably 60 of those episodes in the past month or so).

I mean, it's definitely not my favorite anime. It pales in comparison to Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Evangelion, etc. But hot dawg is it good. It's definitely not flawless; you can tell there's some bloat in some areas, with some insane rushing through events at other times (the entire Final Act season was apparently much, much longer in the manga). Some of the relationship drama was also mind-numbingly stupid.

But I have really enjoyed the ride. I've grown to enjoy some of the characters and watching it is definitely going to standout as a bright spot of exploring my inner anime fan. They have a way of capturing some subtle beauty. In fact...

Watch this ending theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s

I honestly think this is one of the best things of the entire series. The tune is one of those mysteriously hypnotic tunes that makes you feel things, even if it is jPOP. Then you have the vivid imagery over it -- I live and die for this kind of scenery. I love it when art/videos/music can capture everyday living; getting ready in the morning, admiring the snow, walking down the street, etc. To say the least, I dig this ending and it definitely makes me feel things. Some of it is surely nostalgia for the early 2000's and my late teenage years; I would stay up late watching anime and playing Morrowind on my PC. This tune always captured my attention.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is some stuff I LOVE, baby!

EDIT: I'll also leave these here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKt8_o1a9Cw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_E7wJU5KZc
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:30:43 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4026 on: June 13, 2018, 03:50:46 am »
s-CRY-ed involved a lot of punching things. Also, Tachibana talked about his balls a lot.

I never finished Inuyasha. I didn't get as far as the original cancellation.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: June 13, 2018, 02:18:29 pm »
I wanted to like Inuyasha, it seemed right up my alley, but I just couldn't get past the names. I couldn't keep track of who was who when everybody's name was a tongue twister.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: June 13, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »
s-CRY-ed was one of my first introductions to anime. It was great. But man, that Tachibana scene... :lol:

I recently scored a good deal for the entire blu-ray collection of Cowboy Bepop. Having surprisingly never seen it, I'm excited to learn what all the hype is about. I may go back and grab the Samurai Champloo collection as well since it seems right up my ally.

I really want to get into Inuyashi, but I get horribly anxious just imagining how long it would take to finish a series with that many episodes. I'm already doing a one-episode-a-night thing with my dad watching ST:Voyager.

Aaaand now you've got me listening to lo-fi hiphop in the background.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: June 13, 2018, 04:57:13 pm »
I'm already doing a one-episode-a-night thing with my dad watching ST:Voyager.

Me too! Except it's not necessarily every night. And it's by myself. :D

Star Trek, to me, is like candy. I can't have too much, but when I want to feel good it's something I love to slowly nibble on. I did a complete series rewatch of all of Trek over the past few years, just finished a TNG marathon in late/early 2017/2018, and decided to do some Voyager again about a month ago. I'm about halfway through the second season (the last episode I watched was when Chakotay takes on the Kazon).

Is this your first VOY run?!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4030 on: June 13, 2018, 05:33:03 pm »
I did a run through of Voyager years ago at a one per week pace, except some weeks when they skipped.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: June 13, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »
Ah, Voyager. I remember that the Sci-Fi channel would air both it and TNG practically all day every weekend. And occasionally the movies. Now it seems it rarely airs Star Trek.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: June 13, 2018, 06:49:35 pm »
Is this your first VOY run?!
Yep! We just started season 3.

My parents are both big fans of Star Trek, so we grew up watching random episodes appeared on TV. I remember most of it being TNG and ENT. In high school I started watching TOS as in aired on regular TV. I believe I caught most of it, or picked the rest off of Netflix. Years later, after we finished a similar one-episode-a-night family run of Farscape (the first in the tradition, I suppose), we picked a new sci-fi show to watch: DS9. And after that, TNG!

Not sure what we'll watch afterward, if anything, as I'm hoping I can find my own place in the near future.

I did a run through of Voyager years ago at a one per week pace, except some weeks when they skipped.
One per week? That must have taken years!

Ah, Voyager. I remember that the Sci-Fi channel would air both it and TNG practically all day every weekend. And occasionally the movies. Now it seems it rarely airs Star Trek.
I know there's some channel now that plays TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY (maybe ENT too), back-to-back, every week night. I usually just tune in for the Xena reruns right beforehand.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4033 on: June 14, 2018, 01:02:19 pm »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4034 on: June 23, 2018, 05:13:09 pm »
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA302rWO9y0

I have a new favorite anime. 5 episodes in and I already love it to bits.

The anime is loosely (and I mean VERY loosely) based on a far older anime by the name of: