Author Topic: Pictures Thread  (Read 87192 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures Thread
« Reply #1080 on: October 11, 2010, 01:29:26 pm »
You do look rather like the good Doctor there, Mr. Bekkler. And thus I am jealous. There is not a single incarnation of the Doctor that I vaguely resemble.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #1081 on: November 20, 2010, 03:13:06 am »

hairs growin'!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 20, 2010, 03:18:15 am »
Dear lord, you have amazing hair!  I'm seriously jealous.  I've always wanted wavy black hair!

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 05, 2010, 12:44:33 am »
So, this is what I posted on October 1st here...

And this is what I look like now!

No, I don't have cancer, nor did I shave my head. I have drug-induced alopecia (a technical term that means hair loss caused by medication). It's been falling out for a few months now, but it shifted into high gear recently, and now I'm bald! (You can Google drug-induced alopecia if you want more info, I don't want to spend pages talking about it here). My doctor says it's pretty uncommon for someone to lose all their scalp hair on medication that is not chemotherapy-like, but it does sometimes happen. So folks, when your next prescription lists some "extremely rare" side effects, pay attention!

Since this picture was taken (Thursday night, I think), I've lost some eyebrow hair, eyelashes... even nose hairs! (They keep making me have to sneeze!). Time will tell if I lose all my body hair, but I'm not too worried. The good thing about this being caused my medicine is that it'll grow back. (And also, as someone has already pointed out to me, I can pretend to be an edgy hipster for a while!)  :D

Otherwise, I think I look awesome bald. Also, I now know what snow feels like when it falls on a bare scalp. Wow! And I'm not looking for sympathy, either. While I miss having my long, thick red hair, I think this will be quite an interesting experience!

The only downside: It is cold. I mean, really. I've had a thick mop of red hair covering my head for all my life. Now there's nothing there to keep my head warm without a hat! Brr! I even have to sleep with a beanie on!

But, on a more serious note, now you know there is something called alopecia. It's typically an autoimmune disorder, and some of those afflicted with it might go the rest of their lives without hair (their immune system attacks the hair follicles). Mine is only temporary. Theirs may be a lifelong struggle. Hair is more than cosmetic. Eyelashes help keep things out of your eyes, and nose hairs help keep things out of your body. So the next time you see a hairless person, before you make a judgement on them, please keep in mind that they might not look that way by choice.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 05, 2010, 02:53:10 am »
I learned about alopecia from John D. Rockefeller, but I learned about awesome from you.

Here's a Picard Chrome Dome Beauty Shot, the original print of which is said to be worth millions:  :picardno

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 07, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
I rearranged my workspace recently.

I managed to make everything more accessible while giving myself more breathing room. Hopefully this next year or so I'll be able to work on the site a bit.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 08, 2010, 04:19:07 am »
I've heard of alopecia before, but I've never known someone who had it (drug-related or not).

I know a handful of people who have had cancer, including a friend from my old school.  She described how weird it was for ALL of her hair to fall out--including eyelashes!  I can't imagine.  But all of her hair has since grown back, and yours will too.  =)

You are rockin' the bald look, RW.  I think baldness is pretty cool, really (well, except for skinheads XD ).  It's a ballsy haircut (or, more appropriately, hair loss heh) if it's by choice, and even though you didn't choose to lose your hair, it suits you well!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:13 am »

Taken a few months ago, before I decided to chop all of my hair off.

And here's my baby::

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 05, 2011, 03:45:27 pm »
He looks like you're holding something tasty in your other hand.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 30, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
my halloween costume. sorry, sajainta. my girlfriend and i went as a pair. alice and the hatter.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 31, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »
We as a society ought to take another good look at the merits and opportunities of dressing up in costume. How fascinating that could be, how magical.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »
It is really nice when you've put a lot of work and time into crafting a "real" version of a character and finally being able to see the pieces fit together. I know I have better pictures, my girlfriend did some wonderful makeup.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 31, 2011, 11:47:31 pm »
sorry, sajainta.

For what?  :?

That's a great costume!  I was a pinko commie--I wore an ushanka and dressed up all in pink.  Not the cleverest costume idea I've ever had, but it worked and it was cheap.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 01, 2011, 12:13:23 am »
He's sorry 'cause he's already taken ;)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile